Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? (18803 Views)

2017 JAMB Mathematics (A Review) / Is Mathematics As A Course Competitive In Oau Or Other Federal University / Is Mathematics Real, Trick Or Magic?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by OLUJAY4REAL: 8:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
rozayx5:
lipsrsealed
well the certificate statement of results forger, forgot to arrange the lines in the name column well, his principals letter is his certificate

in the north a goat can join the ARMY so its not news
The principal's letter that he belived Buhari would pass English, Mathematics and three other subjects has answered that question of pre-requisites as @ that time. Meanwhile that document released to the public is not a certificate. Even the so-called statement of O'level results is questionable eg was this how Buhari's pix in Primary six?...etc
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 30, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:
Are You Eligible to Join the Military?

Military.com
Eligibility rules can be a little confusing. There are different rules for enlisting and for officer programs. Enlisting: Enlisted members do the hands-on work of the military. They need at least a high school degree (a GED may or may not suffice). Officer: Officers are the managers of the military. Most officer programs require a college degree at minimum, and are very competitive. Many officers have master's or higher degrees. Before you visit your local recruiter, be sure you meet the minimum qualifications for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Some qualifications are required by all five services:

You must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
You must be at least 17 years old (17-year old applicants require parental consent).
You must (with very few exceptions) have a high school diploma.
You must pass a physical medical exam.
For each branch, there are slightly different enlistment requirements:
http://m.military.com/join-armed-forces/join-the-military-basic-eligibility.html

Note the bolded. It is possible to join the Military without a high school diploma. There are few exceptions as the bolded said.

So the answer to your question is yes.

This is for the American military. I believe it can serve as a good reference.

So if someone can join the American Military without a diploma/ certificate, I think someone with a diploma with a failure in Maths can go through on special occasions.

From your article:

"Most officer programs require a
college degree at minimum, and are very
competitive. Many officers have master's or
higher degrees".

For a soldier (enlisting), it may not matter, but for an officer, the least should be a high school degree.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by billyG(m): 11:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military?

I ask this question because Buhari's result have been released to the public and in the result he had an F9 in Mathematics.

Military Officers are meant to be knowledgeable in quantification of military hardwares and other items. For example, a colonel should know the difference between 4 armoured tanks and 1 fighter jet in terms of weight difference, volume difference, etc. The knowledge of such difference will enable the colonel plan the logistics in the transport of such hardwares from one point to another.

Also mathematical terms such a Bearing, Longitude and Lattitude, Projectiles, Trigonometry, Calculus, Matrices, Lagrange Multiplier, Statistics, etc. are common terminologies used in the military. Someone with an F9 in mathematics will definitely not be able to use such mathematical terminologies with dexterity during military warfare.

So I wonder why someone with an F9 in mathematics should be commissioned into the Military.

Perhaps that isn't Buhari's Result after all. I say this because that result appears to be fake and Buhari hasn't made any statement accepting the result as published by the Principal of his almamater. I hereby call on Buhari to either accept or reject the result as published. If he rejects it, he should do us a favour and show us his certificate (#BuhariShowYourCertificate). But If he accepts it, it means our Military actually enlisted Buhari despite failing Mathematics. If they did, was it the right thing to do?

Lets discuss smiley
In 1961 soldiers only need Primary sch or nothing 2 join army,d pple Gen.try self 2 write cambridge even that time ya papa only go primary school,even today u cnt write cambridge & pass with credit without cheating i no trust this generation waec result.

1 Like

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by phemmyflexxy(m): 12:14am On Jan 31, 2015
[img][/img]then what will you say about MRY results? How did he get admission in the first place with pass in only Hausa and IRK?

Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by 19naia(m): 1:56am On Jan 31, 2015
Military leadership are demanded to keep "account" of troops and equipment/assets.. "Account", you must be able to count how many men you have, decide how many to add if needed and how many will remain after subtracting those who were lost or redeployed.. The ammunition required goes at the rate at which the selected weapon fires.. If the weapon fires 1000 rounds of ammuniton per minute, how many rounds will be neccessary to sustain an outfit of 50 armed soldiers in a 7 hour fire fight? The fuel required to transport troops must be calculated according to the distance the mission will cover and return as well as the fuel consumption rate of the selected vehicle used to ferry to the mission..

No escaping math to be a leader in the military and be "accountable" for those under leadership... Even the lowest soldier must calculate the setting of his rifle sight and economize his ammunition to maximum efficiency, he must calculate distance and trajectory of his travel according to compass and map. His life will depend on it..

Any accountable mind will see the failure of military leadership dealing with boko haram as a result of their deficient "accountability". The only other possibility is that the government in command is in conspiracy with boko haram sef..

Mathematics and honest accountability (opposite of corruption)is required for any successful military.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by rabimlomo: 9:11am On Jan 31, 2015
PlutoLA:

Guy what you should understand is that failing maths doesn't mean you dont know it and you can't apply it. After all dont white students also fail English in their own exams? Does that mean they can't speak it? The maths they'll teach them in the military in terms of bearing and all that is practical therefore easier to understand,compared to calculating on paper. Using a sniper to calculate the distance of the enemy is easier than solving it on paper. Hope you get my point
Thank you o my brother. I don't know when we will start facing the real issues in this country.

This man failed ordinary o level exam and people are doubting his ability to join the military. They forgot the same man went to WAR COLLEGE in the USA and passed. If he could scale through those international schools, then why should his o levels be that important.

Remember also, exam is too volatile to be used as the only measure of a mans ability. So many factors besides a person's ability can make one fail and exam.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by tommiblack: 10:12am On Jan 31, 2015
That is not GMB's result.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Jumangel(f): 10:33am On Jan 31, 2015
When GMB joined the Army, mathematics wasn't a requirement for entry. What was needed then was 4 credits, especially for the Infantry. This is becos it takes more than just academic excellence to be a good soldier. However, as recently as 7yrs or thereabouts, there has been a review on the academic requirements for entry into the Army. 5 credits are required, English n mathematics are now compulsory. If you ask me, I believe that the old crop of soldiers with "less" education were better,more disciplined and definitely more courageous than the millennium soldiers with " long long degree" that we have now. As much as I believe in acquiring good education, I do not think that a man's capability should be based on academic certification alone. Particularly, considering the kind of certification obtainable in Nigeria.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by ShowYourCertificate: 1:02pm On Jan 31, 2015
Jarus:

So if the military never had the result, how did it tally with what the school released?
I hope you know the result as stated by the military was filled by Buhari himself on a form?
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Avicennabayo(m): 1:39pm On Jan 31, 2015
rozayx5:
lipsrsealed
well the certificate statement of results forger, forgot to arrange the lines in the name column well, his principals letter is his certificate

in the north a goat can join the ARMY so its not news
requirement in 1960s is different from d current requirement.
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by SuccessfulO(f): 1:44pm On Jan 31, 2015
MizMyColi:
cool

grin
I'm here to read comments.
Especially Truckpusher's tongue
Same here Sis. grin grin grin
Re: Is Mathematics A Compulsory Requirement To Be Commissioned Into The Military? by Truckpusher(m): 3:32pm On Jan 31, 2015
SuccessfulO:
Same here Sis. grin grin grin
I guess you guys waited for 24hrs for nothing. tongue tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Will Not Join ASUU Strike – OAU Vice Chancellor / LASU Students Defeat U.I, Futa And Others At Inter-university Debate In Funaab / JAMB: Candidates Queue For Security Check Under Hot Weather (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.