Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) (1390 Views)

Buhari At The Inauguration Nana Akufo-Addo As Ghana President (Photos) / Give Us More Time - Buhari Begs ECOWAS Bank President (Photos) / Abdulsalami Abubakar Visits Saraki, Senate President (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by efepro(m): 7:13am On Feb 01, 2015
He lives on a farm, and his official car is a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle. He donates 90% of his monthly salary to charity. President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, is not your average president. It is commonplace to see some presidents of countries living lavish lifestyles, and in some extreme cases, looting their countries’ finances for personal gain. But not Mujica. He is commonly known as the world’s “poorest” president because of his austere lifestyle. Mujica rejected the luxurious presidential residence the government provided for him and instead opted to live on his wife’s farm located
on a dirt road outside the country’s capital. They have no domestic workers – they do all the farm work by themselves. The only staff they have are two police officers.
In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration – mandatory for officials in Uruguay – was $1,800, the value of his Beetle. In an interview with BBC, he said:
“I’ve lived like this most of my life, I can live well with what I have I’m called ‘the poorest president’, but I don’t feel poor. Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle, and always want more and more.

Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by efepro(m): 7:17am On Feb 01, 2015
This is a matter of freedom. If you don’t have
many possessions then you don’t need to work
all your life like a slave to sustain them, and
therefore you have more time for yourself…”
Mujica also has unique views about poverty
alleviation. In the 2012 Rio+20 summit he stated:
But what are we thinking? Do we want the model
of development and consumption of the rich
countries? I ask you now: what would happen to
this planet if Indians would have the same
proportion of cars per household than Germans?
How much oxygen would we have left?
“Does this planet have enough resources so
seven or eight billion can have the same level of
consumption and waste that today is seen in rich
societies? It is this level of hyper-consumption
that is harming our planet.
An Arab sheikh recently offered him $1 million
for his Beetle. Mujica is currently considering the
offer, and says that if he does sell it, he will
donate the money to charity.

1 Like

Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by psucc(m): 7:20am On Feb 01, 2015
A man of integrity, I may say
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by koolet: 7:33am On Feb 01, 2015
why i like this president....
unlike Nigerian leaders he dont depend on stealing money 2 make it in life
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Nobody: 8:17am On Feb 01, 2015
This is what I call good governance...imagine, he has only two policemen as body guards and he still feel safe walking among his people freely and safely...unlike our presidents who have more than 100 security to secure him simply because he is corrupted.

I dear him to walk freely at oshodi or mushing without security, i swear, na stone dem go use kill am
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 01, 2015
psucc:
A man of integrity, I may say
integrity indeed!

that's just the level of his reasoning! that he doesn't want to be rich even when the cash is there does not mean he should be this 'shabby ' as a 'President '.

it's a shame man! sorry to say, no offence.
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by homebase(m): 8:31am On Feb 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
integrity indeed!

that's just the level of his reasoning! that he doesn't want to be rich even when the cash is there does not mean he should be this 'shabby ' as a 'President '.

Oh sorry. So you want him to illegally enrich himself like President Jonathan is doing?

This Woman Drinks Petrol Everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnPmfszrn0
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Tattooboy: 8:35am On Feb 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
integrity indeed!

'no offence' after offence?
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 01, 2015
homebase:

Oh sorry. So you want him to illegally enrich himself like President Jonathan is doing?

This Woman Drinks Petrol Everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnPmfszrn0
your level of reasoning shows your class. shift your canoe go one side. who's talking about 'illegal enrichment '? what da 4k do you mean by your careless statement?
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 01, 2015
Tattooboy:
'no offence' after offence?
kaî!!don't get it twisted nah. I don't want buharites to stone me.
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by ishar(f): 10:43am On Feb 01, 2015
It is good to know that somewhere in the world there is a leader who doesn't think money is all there is to leadership. Leadership these days is all about gathering the affluence and wealth in the name of being the messiah of the masses.

The kind of wealth and extravagant lifestyle our leaders potray in this part of the world disturbing.
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by ishar(f): 10:48am On Feb 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
integrity indeed!

I think its just a lifestyle he is comfortable with. He feels he doesn't need the money. Plus which one is, he is shabby ? And which one is, its a shame ? He isnt looking dirty or wearing torn clothes.
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 01, 2015
ishar:
I think its just a lifestyle he is comfortable with. He feels he doesn't need the money. Plus which one is, he is shabby ? And which one is, its a shame ? He isnt looking dirty or wearing torn clothes.
well, he's reflecting the state of his nation through his lifestyle. if he's like this then I wonder what an average people will be like.
Re: Meet The World's Poorest President(Photos) by ishar(f): 12:09pm On Feb 01, 2015
shadowgwalker:
well, he's reflecting the state of his nation through his lifestyle. if he's like this then I wonder what an average people will be like.
Ehen, you gotta point. But i am sure his country people cant be that bad

(1) (Reply)

MR. Jonathan Makes History As The Most Entertaining President Of Nigeria. / Suleja People Should Update Us Please!!! / President Goodluck Jonathan Writes North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.