Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,833 members, 7,831,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? (4612 Views)

"Buhari Has Prostate-Related Ailment, Over 80 Years, Revealed By UK Doctor" - SR / This Joke Tells The Exact Positions Of The Yorubas And Ibos Towards One Nijeriya / GEJ Hates The Yorubas Says This Newspaper Advert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by stevecantrell: 1:36am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

It's a lie Yoruba can't be related to Ijaws. Godforbids

What did they do to you ?

You are both Sudanic peoples (Nubians), speaking Sudanic languages. Ever wondered why you guys have similar complexion with the south Sundanese ? Lol !
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Oildichotomy(m): 1:38am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..eroso, tsikale etc
Really? What do they mean in portuguese?
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:40am On Feb 03, 2015
stevecantrell:

What did they do to you ?

You are both Sudanic peoples (Nubians), speaking Sudanic languages. Ever wondered why you guys have similar complexion with the south Sundanese ? Lol !

What's your tribe pls undecided
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:42am On Feb 03, 2015
Oildichotomy:
Itsekiri--&---- Portuguese
What's the correlation?

Blackman and the white domination.

Portuguese appear on our local pidgin English but for Itsekiri... I have no idea
Can anybody help with the so-called Portuguese- Itsekiri words please?

Istekiri king was participated actively in slave trade just like oba of Lagos then so he must have learnt Portuguese to be able to communicate Well with those guys
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:42am On Feb 03, 2015
Oildichotomy:
Really? What do they mean in portuguese?
..one is rice, the other is sit down
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:46am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...have the Britons always been British? Have England not evolved to be shaped into the defined entity they are now?

I don't understand what you are trying to say sef. Do you know that it was Obafemi Awolowo that made the OLU OF. WARII title the paramount in Warri even though other tribes exists
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by UYCO: 1:47am On Feb 03, 2015
Itsekiri language is like any other yoruba dialect very close to Ondo , Ijebu and Lagos yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:48am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

Don't tell me those are Portuguese grin
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:49am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

Istekiri king was participated actively in slave trade just like oba of Lagos then so he must have learnt Portuguese to be able to communicate Well with those guys
..Don 't get on a public forum to misinform people and talk of what you know nothing about..ever heard of Nana of Itsekiri? Please go get yourself informed
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:51am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..Don 't get on a public forum to misinform people and talk of what you know nothing about..ever heard of Nana of Itsekiri? Please go get yourself informed

It's you that should Stop misst informing people here. The istekiri kings were active in slave trade. This is a fact. They exchange slaves for goods with the Portuguese
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by omonnakoda: 1:52am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
But you find that when nations trade with each other or in boundary areas betwen nations . It does not mean they are related. The Europeans also borrowed some words from different parts of the world.

The rice one is interesting e.g in Spanish it is arroz Yoruba say Iresi but we woud never say we are half Portuguese.
Portuguese just came to trade and to say Itsekiri have Portuguuese ancestry is just ridiculous. No doubt they would have dropped a few bastards during their trips but does that amount to ANCESTRY?? Please!!

In the English dictionary you will find words like iroko,opepe,and even sapele which refers to a type of wood from Sapele. This just reflect things that traders did not have a word for. Ekiti people are closer to Benin and they have a few words in common.
There is no doubt that Itsekiri and Ijebu have the same roots from the structure and rhythm. There is another pocket of Yoruba speakers in Delta state. Unfortunately our people were not literate and we my never unravel the mystery
If you look at the numbers 1-10 in Itsekiri that tells you a lot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 2:02am On Feb 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
But you find that when nations trade with each other or in boundary areas betwen nations . It does not mean they are related. The Europeans also borrowed some words from different parts of the world.

The rice one is interesting e.g in Spanish it is arroz Yoruba say Iresi but we woud never say we are half Portuguese.
Portuguese just came to trade and to say Itsekiri have Portuguuese ancestry is just ridiculous. No doubt they would have dropped a few bastards during their trips but does that amount to ANCESTRY?? Please!!

In the English dictionary you will find words like iroko,opepe,and even sapele which refers to a type of wood from Sapele. This just reflect things that traders did not have a word for. Ekiti people are closer to Benin and they have a few words in common.
There is no doubt that Itsekiri and Ijebu have the same roots from the structure and rhythm. There is another pocket of Yoruba speakers in Delta state. Unfortunately our people were not literate and we my never unravel the mystery

...erhm, i find myself educating you on some things what you should understand by now..how not to disrespect a people especially by your ignorance...i guess you haven 't been thought well and your insensitivity is appalling..
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by M17: 2:08am On Feb 03, 2015
Obiagelli:

Interesting

interesting to you ? because it is your native oruba language right ? cool ugly looking impersonator cool
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Volksfuhrer(m): 2:38am On Feb 03, 2015
Ijebus and itshekiris: don't they share same ancestry? Anyone that doubts this should please enlighten us...
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by rman: 4:06am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
...erhm, i find myself educating you on some things what you should understand by now..how not to disrespect a people especially by your ignorance...i guess you haven 't been thought well and your insensitivity is appalling..

Sister,

You are the one that needs an education.

Your Portuguese ancestral linkage and examples given by you are ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 03, 2015
rman:

Sister,

You are the one that needs an education.

Your Portuguese ancestral linkage and examples given by you are ridiculous.
...oh brother! undecided
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Ayus34(m): 6:08am On Feb 03, 2015
Obiagelli:

Is the olu of warri itsekiri? I have always wondered why OLU
Olu is also a yoruba name,olu means the head,look at ayo oritsejafor,the CAN president,oritjasafor means God didnt allow them to talk....ayo is the same ayo we bear in yoruba land which means joy and same meaning overthere aswell.so when u look at it this way,then u understand they ve things in common.....also from ondo state and i ve alot of itsekiri as friends coz they re closer to the river rine area of the state just like the arogbo ijaw in delta,so i ve interogated most of them very well,they also claim to be from yoruba tribe.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Mattin(m): 6:32am On Feb 03, 2015
I served in Warri north(Tsekiri land), and as a Yoruba guy, whenever they wanna backbite, thinking we are lost, we just laugh and tell them all they've been saying. There is close to 80% similarity in Tsekiri and Yoruba.
Tsekiri: Erasan
Yoruba: Ekaasan (good afternoon)
Tsek: eraowuro
Yor: Ekaaro/ eku owuro(good morning)
Tse: Erale
Yoruba: Ekale(good evening)
Much asay...

3 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

The thing shock me sef shocked
na so o,Ijaw man like me neva hia dat kan egberi before.
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 8:36am On Feb 03, 2015
Ayus34:

Olu is also a yoruba name,olu means the head,look at ayo oritsejafor,the CAN president,oritjasafor means God didnt allow them to talk....ayo is the same ayo we bear in yoruba land which means joy and same meaning overthere aswell.so when u look at it this way,then u understand they ve things in common.....also from ondo state and i ve alot of itsekiri as friends coz they re closer to the river rine area of the state just like the arogbo ijaw in delta,so i ve interogated most of them very well,they also claim to be from yoruba tribe.
Thanks.

Did they say they were related to the Portuguese like some one here is claiminggrin
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 03, 2015
Ayus34:

Thanks.
Thanks
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Ayus34(m): 8:57am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

Did they say they were related to the Portuguese like some one here is claiminggrin
they are not related to Portuguese of any kind,just that that area happen to be one of the place Portuguese influenced during slave trade,u know they also ve access to the sea and it serve as where they exported palmkernel products,resource woods and some agricultural resources to transport our wealth as at then and also slaves,u remember okotieboh Nigeria first finance minister?his fore fathers was also into the business of wood which he took over aswell, so it is logical that during these activities definitely there will be away or d other the Portuguese influenced their cultures,language and others.
but to say they have traditional link with Portuguese is a lie,u know Nigerians obsession with anything white!
thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Profile Of New EFCC Boss Ibrahim Mustafa Magu. / Biafra Day_ Photos From Across The World / Nnamdi Kanu Reveals Abba Kyari’s Location, As Lagos Govt Confirms, He’s Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.