Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,925 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? (4600 Views)

"Buhari Has Prostate-Related Ailment, Over 80 Years, Revealed By UK Doctor" - SR / This Joke Tells The Exact Positions Of The Yorubas And Ibos Towards One Nijeriya / GEJ Hates The Yorubas Says This Newspaper Advert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 10:24pm On Feb 02, 2015
After listening to one song by Omawunmi and I was hearing some Yoruba there, this has got me thinking if the ishetkiri people are related to the Yorubas
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Ayus34(m): 10:36pm On Feb 02, 2015
yes....omawummi is omowummi,oritse is orisa in Yoruba....we are cousins and reason u could see us bearing related names and the language have a resemblance,itsekiri'scustom and culture is closer to ijebu in ogun state,reason their kings do somethings together.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by tpiaobsession: 10:39pm On Feb 02, 2015
The language is yoruboid, there are multiple threads on this.

Will post them for you later.

1 Like

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Feb 02, 2015
Ayus34:
yes....omawummi is omowummi,oritse is orisa in Yoruba....we are cousins and reason u could see us bearing related names and the language have a resemblance and itsekiri is custom and culture us closer to ijebu in ogun state,reason their kings do something together
Is the olu of warri itsekiri? I have always wondered why OLU
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 10:48pm On Feb 02, 2015
Ayus34:
yes....omawummi is omowummi,oritse is orisa in Yoruba....we are cousins and reason u could see us bearing related names and the language have a resemblance and itsekiri is custom and culture us closer to ijebu in ogun state,reason their kings do something together

But that's funny all the way from ijebu to niger Delta
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 10:48pm On Feb 02, 2015
tpiaobsession:
The language is yoruboid, there are multiple threads on this.

Will post them for you later.

Thanks bro
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 10:51pm On Feb 02, 2015
Obiagelli:

Is the olu of warri itsekiri? I have always wondered why OLU

I once had an istekiri friend who begged me to teach him Yoruba but the little ones like go, come,sit. Were too simple for him cos he said they speak it that way too in their side too

1 Like

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Feb 02, 2015
cbrass:

I once had an istekiri friend who begged me to teach him Yoruba but the little ones like go, come,sit. Were too simple for him cos he said they speak it that way too in their side too
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2015
This kweshun is meant for d gods..
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by tpiaobsession: 11:03pm On Feb 02, 2015
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by realnaijaa: 11:16pm On Feb 02, 2015
cbrass:
After listening to one song by Omawunmi and I was hearing some Yoruba there, this has got me thinking if the ishetkiri people are related to the Yorubas
they are related to Yoruba.their language and concept ijebu is the same.funny enough even I jaws claims their link to oduduwa.
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
realnaijaa:
they are related to Yoruba.their language and concept ijebu is the same.funny enough even I jaws claims their link to oduduwa.
oduduwa ! how ,please tell me more
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 12:12am On Feb 03, 2015
realnaijaa:

Godforbid the yorubas can't be related to the Ijaws angry

5 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 12:13am On Feb 03, 2015
DEATHMACHINE:

oduduwa ! how ,please tell me more

The thing shock me sef shocked
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by stevecantrell: 12:44am On Feb 03, 2015
realnaijaa:

The patriarch of the Ijaw is a prince who left Ile-ife to establish his Kingdom in the Niger Delta. Its funny when you hear an Ijaw person mock 'Yoloba' people, I blame it on pure ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 12:59am On Feb 03, 2015
The Itsekiris share ancestral heritage with Benin, Portugese and Yoruba..cultural affinity, however we are not Yorubas! The Itsekiri language is a blend of Yoruba and Portugese...

3 Likes

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:04am On Feb 03, 2015
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by tobechi74: 1:05am On Feb 03, 2015
They are immigrant
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by stevecantrell: 1:07am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
The Itsekiris share ancestral heritage with Benin, Portugese and Yoruba..cultural affinity, however we are not Yorubas! The Itsekiri language is a blend of Yoruba and Portugese...

The Awujale of Ijebu says you are mostly yoruba but with mixed Hebrew origin.
The Olu of Warri , with 1/16th Portuguese blood is the only Itsekiri I know who can claim ancestry from Portugal.
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:17am On Feb 03, 2015
stevecantrell:

The Awujale of Ijebu says you are mostly yoruba but with mixed Hebrew origin.
The Olu of Warri , 1/16th Portuguese blood is the only Itsekiri I know who claim ancestry from Portugal.
..erhm, there are Portugese elements in the Itsekiri language, traditional dress, folk songs etc..maybe we can term the ancestry of the Itsekiri people as multi racial....Yoruba, Hebrew, Portugese..
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by oakson: 1:22am On Feb 03, 2015
Of course....
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by stevecantrell: 1:23am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..erhm, there are Portugese elements in the Itsekiri language, traditional dress, folk songs etc..maybe we can term the ancestry of the Itsekiri people as multi racial....Yoruba, Hebrew, Portugese..

Sure, I can accept that.
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by omonnakoda: 1:24am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
Hehehehehehehihihihihii.
Yes o small Russian and Chinese sef dey am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:27am On Feb 03, 2015
stevecantrell:

The patriarch of the Ijaw is a prince who left Ile-ife to establish his Kingdom in the Niger Delta. Its funny when you hear an Ijaw person mock 'Yoloba' people, I blame it on pure ignorance.

Get a life mr liar angry
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:28am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

Aahahah where did you see this? So because we wear suits we are related to the British abi undecided
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
Hehehehehehehihihihihii.
Yes o small Russian and Chinese sef dey am
.. tongue smiley
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Oildichotomy(m): 1:29am On Feb 03, 2015
Itsekiri--&---- Portuguese
What's the correlation?

Blackman and the white domination.

Portuguese appear on our local pidgin English but for Itsekiri... I have no idea
Can anybody help with the so-called Portuguese- Itsekiri words please?
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by stevecantrell: 1:30am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

Get a life mr liar angry

Hahaha !

Check it for yourself dude, how can you hate your own orijins ?
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:30am On Feb 03, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:

So tell us some Portuguese you speak. Remember that we speak English in Nigeria doesn't make us have ancestral links to the British
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by cbrass(m): 1:31am On Feb 03, 2015
stevecantrell:

Hahaha !

Check it for yourself dude, how can you hate your own orijins ?

It's a lie Yoruba can't be related to Ijaws. Godforbids
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:34am On Feb 03, 2015
cbrass:

Aahahah where did you see this? So because we wear suits we are related to the British abi undecided
...have the Britons always been British? Have England not evolved to be shaped into the defined entity they are now?
Re: Are The Isetkiris Related To The Yorubas?? by Nobody: 1:35am On Feb 03, 2015
Oildichotomy:
Itsekiri--&---- Portuguese
What's the correlation?

Blackman and the white domination.

Portuguese appear on our local pidgin English but for Itsekiri... I have no idea
Can anybody help with the so-called Portuguese- Itsekiri words please?
..eroso, tsikale etc but ofcourse theres always the evolving process..what do you say about the Yorubas in the South Americas? Have they denied their cultural heritage?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zaria Shia Massacre Is Fight Against Terrorism, Saudi King Tells Buhari / Abba Kyari Met With Dangote, Yahaya Bello, IGP When He Came Back To Nigeria / Pictorial Description Of Nigeria's New SWAT Officers (Satire)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.