Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,367 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) (31620 Views)

Edo Man Sets Straight Reason For Biafra Agitation And Calls Out Yoruba. Video! / Lagos APGA Sacks Chairman For Supporting Ambode / Lagos APGA To Adopt Ambode As Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by hardestyoung(m): 10:10am On Feb 06, 2015
Channels TV knows how to disgrace people sha...chei.....God dey o

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Reptyle(m): 10:11am On Feb 06, 2015
lurther:
Please, why are they denying igbos their Permanent voters card in lagos?

[b]As I type, lots of igbos have not been given their permanent voters card in lagos. [/b]Is APC afraid of something? All this while, they have been shouting that Igbos are inconsequential in lagos, why now sieze their voters card?

Besides, Apga is just a joker in the lagos gubernatorial elections, It's between PDP and APC. So, let the lagos state electoral commission in collaboration with the independent national electoral commission release the permanent voters cards of igbos in lagos. What is even their fear self, after saying igbos don't have the numbers and are presumably inconsequential.

We all had to go request for our own at the PU where we registered...not on Nairaland.

Try that approach and stop raising false alerts where there are none.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:11am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
not being able to speak yoruba shows you know nothing about the land and its culture, hence you are not fit to rule. Would obama have been able to rule if he couldn't speak english? Yes, english is widely spoken in lagos state politics likewise other states, but how do you think they communicate with the grassroots and traditional leaders? To them you are a foreigner if you can't speak yoruba.
You people just make comparisons willy nilly without spoting the difference between both case studies. The official language of the US is English, so there's no way Obama could have qualified without knowing how to speak English. On the contrary, Yoruba is not an official language in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by VirginFinder: 10:11am On Feb 06, 2015
Mbilla:
hahahaha... Answer dis simple questn. Do u knw ur father? Yes or No. Do u knw ur village? Not Lagos ooo...cuz all of u yoruba bastards claim Lagos. How many children did ur ugly bleaching dirty mother born from different men? Pls be honest........

You are a dullard!
No chance for ibos in Lagos politics.
Period!!

6 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Crieff(m): 10:12am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

If you claimed to have lived in a place for over 4 decades and cant speak the language then you are not part of that place. you are just an alien resident. That is why residency is different from citizenship and you have to demonstrate you have ties and understand the ways of life of a place you migrate to before you can be a citizen.

No one is questioning his ability to govern, But how can you be familiar with a place and cant speak a simple sentence in the language of the same place? So how is he familiar exactly? You cant be out of touch with the majority of your electorates and expect to get their votes.

Wa pe laye. Wa r'ke. Wa rayo.
Gbayii!

10 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by LastProphet: 10:12am On Feb 06, 2015
Sanchez01:

In as much as I believe we're all one and the same, i think your assertion is untrue. You're not the only one left out. My Yoruba and Igbo friends are still fighting to get theirs. I got mine without hitch last year, just before Christmas and I believe the reason why it is stiffer now is because turn-outs are now higher than the INEC officials. Funniest part is, my friends and I all registered and used our TVC at the 2011 elections but they stalled deliberately, believing that they would collect theirs without stress prior the elections.

PS: Stop the sentiment as they would lead you nowhere. You allowed your ignorance lead the way when you claimed "lots of igbos have not been given their permanent voters card in lagos. Is APC afraid of something? All this while, they have been shouting that Igbos are inconsequential in lagos, why now sieze their voters card". APC is not INEC and Lagos is not INEC either.

Ibos by nature assume they have enemies, they always assume someone else is against them for no just reason. If 10 people do something wrong and u decide to arrest them and 7 happens to be Ibo, an average Ibo will say u decided to arrest them becos most of them were Ibos. Thats the way Ibos are and u can never change them. Ibos are contesting in Lagos today, go to Ibo land and try it as another tribe even if u have lived there for centuries. I lived there before and I can write a book on them

11 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:12am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

Can you mention one cosmopolitan city in the world where the mayor or governor is not originally from the place but grew up there, cant speak the local language and was elected. Just ONE example
First do me the honour by explaining what you mean by the "The local language".
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

If you claimed to have lived in a place for over 4 decades and cant speak the language then you are not part of that place. you are just an alien resident. That is why residency is different from citizenship and you have to demonstrate you have ties and understand the ways of life of a place you migrate to before you can be a citizen.

No one is questioning his ability to govern, But how can you be familiar with a place and cant speak a simple sentence in the language of the same place? So how is he familiar exactly? You cant be out of touch with the majority of your electorates and expect to get their votes.

This is a valid argument too.
*sighs*
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2015
Which one is governorship again in another man's
land.
Igbos should go and sit down jooor, always dishing out what they can't swallow msteeeeeew.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

We definitely have a very long way to go to reach the Nigeria of our dreams. The man actually played into the hands of those presenters who are not smart enough to know that one musn't speak Yoruba to govern Lagos. Are they dumb not to realize that English is Nigeria's official language and to aspire to any political position, an average competence in English is required. There's no doubt that it will be an advantage to be able to speak Yoruba since Yorubas still constitute the majority in lagos but it's not because Lagos is the language of the land. It will also not be a taboo is a Fashola or an Ambode earns Igbo, hausa or any other language just to show Non Yoruba Lagosians that he understands their Language. It irks me when supposed educated foks join illiterates such as those channels presenters to spew prejudice in the name of confirming whether someone is a Lagosisan or not. Lagos has no language. That's one of the reasons why i seem to be tilting towards a Buhari/Osibanjo candicay because they have promised to tackle the Indigene/setter dichotomy.
do you know a candidate can contest and win the seat in alausa if he can't speak english but can speak yoruba? English is nigeria's lingua franca while yoruba, asides english, is the main language in Lagos #fact. As for your buhari/osinbajo talk, you are on a long thing . So gullible grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 10:15am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
not being able to speak yoruba shows you know nothing about the land and its culture, hence you are not fit to rule. Would obama have been able to rule if he couldn't speak english? Yes, english is widely spoken in lagos state politics likewise other states, but how do you think they communicate with the grassroots and traditional leaders? To them you are a foreigner if you can't speak yoruba.
True too.

He goofed there because it is a huge concern if you can't relate with the culture and customs which most of the laws are built around.

Language is a small bit of it but can we can say if you can't pick the language, you are disconnected with the customary laws? Can he be taught or get an adviser?

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

Same literal meaning. The major ligua franca of the "cosmopolitan city"
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

Same literal meaning. The major ligua franca of the "cosmopolitan city"
Sorry, but Yoruba is not a lingua franca anywhere in Nigeria. English is.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 06, 2015
I cant understand why some people think that Lagos and her people can be bullied! Can a non-Hausa or Fulani person dream of governing Kano? How many non-Hausa or Fulani has been selected to govern Abuja, yes our nation capital Abuja! The Christian Yorubaman, who is a spokesman for the Bauchi state governor, Yuguda, can surely speak Hausa fluently. So how can a man who can not communicate with the people govern the people? Let us be realistic, there are plenty Igbos in Lagos who were born and bred in Lagos and could speak Yoruba, even better than some so-called Yorubas born and bred in, say Abuja grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

the language spoken by the traditional chiefs, baales, kings and mostly used when showcasing the culture of that locality. How will the aspirant converse with them when he knows nothing about their culture? Don't you think it will be an insult if he uses an interpreter like preachers do?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 10:18am On Feb 06, 2015
django1:

My good sir, do not be deceived the average Igbo man have no love for Yoruba. Simple.
Grow dafuq up
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by tbaba1234: 10:19am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

It is imperative that you understand what it means for a place to be cosmopolitan. Having Igbos, Yorubas, Fuanis etc living in one city does not make it cosmopolitan if this people have the same way of life. Meaning, if they all speak one language. The cosmopolitan nature comes in when people bring their languages and culture and make it a signature of the city.

Your second paragraph is also faulty because he will not be ruling only Yorubas but everyone who calls Lagos home.

Nigeria is not America. Not yet. People are deeply engrained in cultures. The dominant culture is Yoruba, if Lagos was a country, yoruba can easily be its lingua franca. All settlers would have to learn that language.

I am not against an igbo man or any tribe running for governor of Lagos but I believe that person must understand the local culture first.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Keegan: 10:20am On Feb 06, 2015
Mbilla:
My brother why replied a Yoruba bastard who doesn't know his father. Don't u know that bastards are always abusive and don't u know that 98% Yoruba's are bastards who doesn't knw their fathers. I haven't being to lagos and hav no business going there. But 99% Yoruba's I met in Kaduna, Bayelsa and here in Portharcourt doesn't know their fathers and village's and they also very abusive and dirty. Their ugly bleaching dirty women are busy giving birth to many children from different men.

In line with your theory above, you are what you claimed others are.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Sanchez01: 10:20am On Feb 06, 2015
LastProphet:

Ibos by nature assume they have enemies, they always assume someone else is against them for no just reason. If 10 people do something wrong and u decide to arrest them and 7 happens to be Ibo, an average Ibo will say u decided to arrest them becos most of them were Ibos. Thats the way Ibos are and u can never change them. Ibos are contesting in Lagos today, go to Ibo land and try it as another tribe even if u have lived there for centuries. I lived there before and I can write a book on them

It's just too bad. It would be right to say we're our greatest enemies because we often believe people hate us and do not want to associate with us. For me, everyone is equal and it's high time we saw each other that way. I don't belong to any of the three major tribes but I'd be willing to fight for one of their people should they feel cheated. The present government understands your assertion perfectly and they're using it as a tool to tear us apart. Worst of all, some of us are giving them the chance to.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by reborn1: 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
Lolzzzzz. Lwkmd

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Missy89(f): 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

You said since Lagos was cosmopolitan the language doesn't matter and i asked you for an example of any cosmopolitan city or state with a mayor or governor that cant speak the local lingua franca. Or are you trying to say Yoruba is not the major language in Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaba1234:

Nigeria is not America. Not yet. People are deeply engrained in cultures. The dominant culture is Yoruba, if Lagos was a country, yoruba can easily be its lingua franca. All settlers would have to learn that language.

I am not against an igbo man or any tribe running for governor of Lagos but I believe that person must understand the local culture first.
IF is a conditional statement. If Lagos was a country, it would have been a different kettle of sish but Lagos is part and parcel of Nigeria where English is the official language. And no Nigerian is a settler in Lagos. Have that in mind.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Crieff(m): 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

You people just make comparisons willy nilly without spoting the difference between both case studies. The official language of the US is English, so there's no way Obama could have qualified without knowing how to speak English. On the contrary, Yoruba is not an official language in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria.

Please, Afam4eva, keep quiet joor.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

english is the lingua franca but a borrowed language. Yoruba is the Language of the natives of lagos state thesame way igbo is to anambrans.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Mynd44: 10:21am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaba1234:

I have a problem when he claims to have lived that long and can't pick up a sentence or even speak fluently remembering that language is a part of culture.

*sighs*
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by 36STATES: 10:22am On Feb 06, 2015
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Osu ibo

you only know about the constittution of Nigeria when it comes to Lagos, why dont you go observe your constitutional right in Borno state and contest for the govenor there.

I know this is a perfect opportunity for you to burnish your anti-Igbo credentials.
I don't believe this man is contesting to win Lagos state governorship election, we all know the odds stacked against him. We will also welcome people of other ethnic groups to contest in their states of residence. It adds colour to the whole thing and enriches the idea of multi-ethnic Nigeria especially Lagos as the melting pot of Nigerian nation.

But small minds like you see it only through you ethnic prism. So what's the genesis of your hatred of Igbos? Did your father sell your family land to omo Igbo? Did omo Igbo out compete your family business? Are you envious of their success in your neighbourhood. My advice for you is this. You shouldn't blame Igbos but yourself for your miserable existence. Spend more of your money in the future of your business and family, instead of selling family lands for owambe. Do all those and thank me later. Good luck.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 06, 2015
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:23am On Feb 06, 2015
Missy89:

But i was asking for an example from any state or city. I asked you to give me an example of a mayor or governor not president.

You claimed since Lagos was cosmopolitan the language doesn't matter and i asked you for an example of any cosmopolitan city or state with a mayor or governor that cant speak the local lingua franca. Or are you trying to say Yoruba is not the major language in Lagos?
The question cannot be answered if you don't understand what exactly you are asking. Understand your question first then i'll answer you. You seem to be conflicting between an official language and the major local language.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by tbaba1234: 10:23am On Feb 06, 2015
Afam4eva:

IF is a conditional statement. If Lagos was a country, it would have been a different kettle of sish but Lagos is part and parcel of Nigeria where English is the official language. And no Nigerian is a settler in Lagos. Have that in mind.

I also that people have cultural values that cannot be discarded. The local cultures are still important.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 06, 2015
It could be true he's lived in lagos for 38yrs;he was not interested in speaking the language. My mother came to lagos in 1970,met my father in lagos. My mum can't speak yoruba,but understands perfectly. We her children,it's difficult for anyone to know we're not yorubas,because we eat,sleep and drink yoruba. So the apga candidate was not interested in learning to speak it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:25am On Feb 06, 2015
eighTHREAD:
english is the lingua franca but a borrowed language. Yoruba is the Language of the natives of lagos state thesame way igbo is to anambrans.
The constitution does not mandate a political aspirant to be able to speak the language of the natives does it? And btw a lagos governor is not only ruling the people you call natives (whatever that means). He's ruling lagos stakeholders who are Nigerians from all over.
Re: Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) by Afam4eva(m): 10:26am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaba1234:

I also that people have cultural values that cannot be discarded. The local cultures are still important.
There's a reason why the traditional rulers are there. they're there to protect the culture and tradition but not to force it on people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Name Your Presidential Candidate And Give Us Three Reasons We Should Vote Him / Court Orders NLC, TUC Not To Embark On Strike / Stowaway Daniel Ohikhena, Resumes School With Security Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.