Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,497 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle (22953 Views)

8 Crazily Unique Beetle Cars You Have Never Seen Before (photos) / Nigerian Man Redesigns A Beetle Tortoise Car Into A Rolls Royce / Would You Buy This Rusty 1952 Volkswagen Beetle (ijapa) For N30million? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2015
I have been on the quest for two main vehicles...a Peugeot 504 and a Volkswagen 1500 Beetle.

I was fortunate to get one of them during this week in a rather funny and almost jocular manner...i got a Volkswagen Beetle with a surprisingly sound engine and a body in not-too-bad a shape.

There were the customary rusts everywhere and the poor tell-tale signs of primer and bad paint jobs accumulated over years.

The owner, an elderly man had kept the engine in pristine shape...vehicle starts with a little pinch on the gas pedal and the engine whistles as it should.

The body has a lot of rusts in the crevices but still structurally sound.

3 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 1:56pm On Feb 07, 2015
I bought N1,500 fuel and took the vehicle on a town drive and got jeers and ecstatic shouts from other road users and passer bys.

Main comment was ' so this vehicle still exists?'

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 07, 2015
Ahem I don port to this thread to enjoy all the benefits of this thread.

**spreads mat, brings out popcorn, guguru, and groundnut + lacasera** grin

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 2:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
i mentally noted the issues that might need fixing with the car.

*the body work needs a touch of an angel.
* the steering has a little clearance and needs a lot of dexterity to be able to control the vehicle safely
*the headlamps are dull and with rusts.
* the rear wheels have a 'bow leg' positioning. Everybody kept saying that is how beetle usually is... a quick google search prove otherwise.
*the horn and radio needs fixing
*the engine oil looks overspent...needs a drain ASAP
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
I love this.

Carry on denn I'm following grin
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 2:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
I decided to drain the oil.

I was concerned about getting the proper oil filter so i did a google search on oil change.

i found out the beetle uses an oil screen instead of an oil filter. the screen is always reusable after cleaning with petrol. Good deal.

I took the vehicle to my trusted friends garage, armed with a gallon of 20w50 engine oil, my laptop and plenty of guts.

I took the vehicle on the pit and drained the oil. I removed the oil screen cover and pulled out the screen. it seems that oil screen has been continuously used right from the 70s....!!!

I cleaned it and replaced after straining the old oil.

I removed the air cleaner component and cleaned same with petrol.

I added new oil into the engine and the air cleaner component.

The vehicle purred back to life...

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 2:16pm On Feb 07, 2015
Apologies for lack of pictures....i will correct as with further repairs
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 2:22pm On Feb 07, 2015
Next stage was body work.

I did online searches and found out the average cost of the fenders range between $150 to $200 USD each....and not including shipping costs.

replacement struts were between $50 to $80 USD each.

hnmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,.....

ok.

I have a very small budget for this vehicle for now... i decided to explore options of local fabrication and repair of the panels.

I did a scouting for an experienced beetle panel beater... I got one who agreed to work on the vehicle..

He was ecstatic and started work right away....

Panels were removed to reveal the work to be done.

Plan B would be to buy the panels from USA or UK if the panel repair and fabrication wont be up to spec.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
Removing panels

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:08pm On Feb 07, 2015
Interior

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:12pm On Feb 07, 2015
Engine picture

2 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by tmanis(m): 3:14pm On Feb 07, 2015
WOW!❗
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:17pm On Feb 07, 2015
A lot of work needs to be done on the vehicle...

I have a limited budget however and would try to minimize cost whilst not sacrificing output.

I would need suggestions as to parts sourcing.... Even cannibalization
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
lomomike:
Ahem I don port to this thread to enjoy all the benefits of this thread.

**spreads mat, brings out popcorn, guguru, and groundnut + lacasera** grin

Thanks boss.... Please pass the pop corn over o....
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
I love this.

Carry on denn I'm following grin

Thanks
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:20pm On Feb 07, 2015
wink
tmanis:
WOW!❗
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by empron(m): 5:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
Denn:
Engine picture
nice job I am following
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 7:15pm On Feb 07, 2015
I raised a point earlier in the rear wheels having a '\ /' position instead of being at 90 degrees to the road.

A lot of people have said it's a normal vw Beetle character and I should leave it like that.

I am not satisfied however and belive it didn't leave the factory in that position.

I would like to correct the 'problem'.

Please who can advise on what to do.

In addition, where can I get the exact new tires locally in Nigeria? I want to retain the Oem wheels albeit they being tube tires.

cc siena, CityNG, lomomike, ikenna351, nurey, nissparts, and everybody...

Opinions are appreciated
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 07, 2015
Denn:
I raised a point earlier in the rear wheels having a '\ /' position instead of being at 90 degrees to the road.

A lot of people have said it's a normal vw Beetle character and I should leave it like that.

I am not satisfied however and belive it didn't leave the factory in that position.

I would like to correct the 'problem'.

Please who can advise on what to do.

In addition, where can I get the exact new tires locally in Nigeria? I want to retain the Oem wheels albeit they being tube tires.

cc siena, CityNG, lomomike, ikenna, nurey, nissparts, and everybody...

Opinions are appreciated

1) Alignment Specs

The first thing that you need to do is get your hands on the factory alignment specs. I don't know what it is for Bugs, it's been a while since I owned one but I attached a pic of what I found online.

But be warned that this may lead to a path of expense. I foresee changing stuff like joints, shocks, springs and even up to rewelding shock tops.

2) Tires

I've never restored any of my classics to be period correct because it's insanity. I always try to use modern and hence more safer products on my rebuilds to ensure that the vehicle is as safe as possible compared to a modern car.

I will never use a tube in any of my cars. It's a matter of preference.

Edit:

After looking at the pics of the specimen above, I believe that the rear was raised by 9ja mechanics for ground clearance. Please get under the car and show pictures of the rear suspension.

2 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 07, 2015
Just the sort of threads I love, I'll be following.

The positive camber at the rear is common to the Volkswagen Beetle, Igala, Rio, Type 2 and all air-cooled Volkswagen of that generation, including the Bus. It occurs when the rear suspension is raised, either deliberately, or due to longer dampers being fitted. Don't forget these cars have torsion bars, and swing axles at the rear. Raise the rear of the car beyond it's design limits, and the wheels angle inwards at the BOTTOM.

In the same way, depress the rear of the car beyond it's ideal working limits, and the rear camber becomes negative - the wheels angle inwards at the TOP..

If you need any uprated parts, or any stock items you can't get hold of locally, give me a shout. There's quite a large following of these iconic cars here, and virtually every part is readily available new.

7 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 07, 2015
Another point of note...this was the final version of Volkswagen Beetle assembled in Nigeria. So circa. 1979 - 1983. It's a Brazilian model from Volkswagen Do Brasil.

The bodyshell is actually based on the 1960's pressings, with the thicker pillars and smaller glass area. So if you're after certain body parts, the equivalent European items won't be a direct fit. A 1981 Nigerian Volkswagen Beetle will be the equivalent of a 1968 European model, with some mix and match in the Nigerian / Brazilian model. The front suspension does not line up with the same year in Europe either.

If you need any advice on what fits what, just holler.

6 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
CityNG:

1) Alignment Specs

The first thing that you need to do is get your hands on the factory alignment specs. I don't know what it is for Bugs, it's been a while since I owned one but I attached a pic of what I found online.

But be warned that this may lead to a path of expense. I foresee changing stuff like joints, shocks, springs and even up to rewelding shock tops.

2) Tires

I've never restored any of my classics to be period correct because it's insanity. I always try to use modern and hence more safer products on my rebuilds to ensure that the vehicle is as safe as possible compared to a modern car.

I will never use a tube in any of my cars. It's a matter of preference.

Edit:

After looking at the pics of the specimen above, I believe that the rear was raised by 9ja mechanics for ground clearance. Please get under the car and show pictures of the rear suspension.

Thanks for your response.

As regards the alignment, i will be posting pictures of the underside soon.

My choice of OEM similar tires reside on the availability of a matching tire. First the tires on the bug were manufactured by Dunlop Nigeria (only God knows when), the tires also have unfamiliar size descriptions not similar to the conventional ones i know of. In addition, the tires on the vehicle are slim corresponding with the steel wheels. I wont mind an advise on a conventional size i can use. I do not mind using tubeless as long as it will fit...

**** i knew you would have owned a beetle before.... how was the experience then? did it come at a time when star lager was sold in cartons? when condensed peak milk and uncle ben's rice was the standard purchase at Kingsway? Did you service the vehicle with AP Visco SAE 40 Engine oil....so many questions... grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2015
Siena:
Just the sort of threads I love, I'll be following.

The positive camber at the rear is common to the Volkswagen Beetle, Igala, Rio, Type 2 and all air-cooled Volkswagen of that generation, including the Bus. It occurs when the rear suspension is raised, either deliberately, or due to longer dampers being fitted. Don't forget these cars have torsion bars, and swing axles at the rear. Raise the rear of the car beyond it's design limits, and the wheels angle inwards at the BOTTOM.

In the same way, depress the rear of the car beyond it's ideal working limits, and the rear camber becomes negative - the wheels angle inwards at the TOP..

If you need any uprated parts, or any stock items you can't get hold of locally, give me a shout. There's quite a large following of these iconic cars here, and virtually every part is readily available new.

Thanks for the inputs....

I wont be surprised if a lot of non standard-issue parts have been mixed for my beetle in a cauldron only conceivable by our 'mechanics'.

I was earlier surfing USA and Europe for parts. I however noticed striking differences (dashboard and chrome bumpers for example). I wont mind assistance in getting fitting parts....
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
Siena:
Another point of note...this was the final version of Volkswagen Beetle assembled in Nigeria. So circa. 1979 - 1983. It's a Brazilian model from Volkswagen Do Brasil.

The bodyshell is actually based on the 1960's pressings, with the thicker pillars and smaller glass area. So if you're after certain body parts, the equivalent European items won't be a direct fit. A 1981 Nigerian Volkswagen Beetle will be the equivalent of a 1968 European model, with some mix and match in the Nigerian / Brazilian model. The front suspension does not line up with the same year in Europe either.

If you need any advice on what fits what, just holler.

hnmmmm.

no wonder parts were an issue that sent a lot of these bugs to their early retirement after 'just 20 to 30 years' wink

i will holla and would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks so much
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 07, 2015
Denn:
I however noticed striking differences (dashboard and chrome bumpers for example). I wont mind assistance in getting fitting parts....

That dashboard with square instruments was ONLY ever fitted to the Brazilian Volkswagen Beetle. The same goes for the deck lid, with the cooling vents deeper on the outside, and the distinct spacing between the inner ones (left to right).

My first car in Nigeria at the age of 17 was a brand new Volkswagen Beetle 1303S. This was a twin-port 1600, with the curved front screen and MacPherson front suspension. wink

3 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by nurey(m): 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2015
Since I am not tech savvy on cars I don't have much input I can give but I learned quite a lot from siena and city-ng just by following this thread.

As a lover of the movie HERBIE during my teen years especially when the car split into two grin I have been a lover of that classic 1500 ride though my generation call it BUG, there is one recently in my area with polished wood colour can't really tell what colour. The only thing I want from Mr Denn is to let me have a go at him/her when he/she's ready.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 07, 2015
Enjoying thread and waiting for ivoryhouse to begin his.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2015
Siena:

That dashboard with square instruments was ONLY ever fitted to the Brazilian Volkswagen Beetle. The same goes for the deck lid, with the cooling vents deeper on the outside, and the distinct spacing between the inner ones (left to right).

My first car in Nigeria at the age of 17 was a brand new Volkswagen Beetle 1303S. This was a twin-port 1600, with the curved front screen and MacPherson front suspension. wink

whew...
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:54pm On Feb 07, 2015
nurey:
Since I am not tech savvy on cars I don't have much input I can give but I learned quite a lot from siena and city-ng just by following this thread.

As a lover of the movie HERBIE during my teen years especially when the car split into two grin I have been a lover of that classic 1500 ride though my generation call it BUG, there is one recently in my area with polished wood colour can't really tell what colour. The only thing I want from Mr Denn is to let me have a go at him/her when he/she's ready.

lol
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 07, 2015
Denn:

My choice of OEM similar tires reside on the availability of a matching tire. First the tires on the bug were manufactured by Dunlop Nigeria (only God knows when), the tires also have unfamiliar size descriptions not similar to the conventional ones i know of. In addition, the tires on the vehicle are slim corresponding with the steel wheels. I wont mind an advise on a conventional size i can use. I do not mind using tubeless as long as it will fit...

**** i knew you would have owned a beetle before.... how was the experience then? did it come at a time when star lager was sold in cartons? when condensed peak milk and uncle ben's rice was the standard purchase at Kingsway? Did you service the vehicle with AP Visco SAE 40 Engine oil....so many questions... grin grin grin

The only vehicles that I owned in Nigeria were a Suzuki small 2 stroke utility vehicle, a Honda CVCC (pre Civic), Triumph Tiger 750 (ex Nigerian Army bike) and a BMW R65 (ex Nigerian Police bike).

I've owned two Beetles here in the US, a regular one and a Super Beetle and also owned two VW Vans.

But back in Nigeria those were happy times. We can leave our school in Abeokuta and got the Shrine to watch Fela all on N100 or so. Gas was cheap, Police were you friends (just make sure to have some school ID card), we can sneak into the Shrine, etc

Even in Ibadan, we had Scala, Odeon, Queens and KS cinemas (four true to god honest movie theaters not something squeezed into a mall now), we had Kingsway, Leventis, UTC (try to god honest super markets). Kingsway was at least 3 floors and Levants was at least two. In fact there were two UTC in Ibadan. One at Cocoa house and another towards Bodija area I think.

The Suzuki likes to foul plugs (3 cylinder two stroke engine) so it's on that car that I cut my automotive teeth so to speak.

3 Likes

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by adanny01(m): 2:25am On Feb 08, 2015
Denn:

Nice thread, i am following.

My dad drove the beetle from 1981 to 1999 when i sold it for 15k. I remember my dad always having exactly the same type of tires i see on yours. However, the aspect ratio on yours seem to be a little higher than usual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can I Drive Rats Away From My Car? Please Help / FRSC Impounds An Overloaded Bus (Photos) / This 2013 Hyundai Elantra Has Traveled More Than 1 Million Miles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.