Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle (22907 Views)

8 Crazily Unique Beetle Cars You Have Never Seen Before (photos) / Nigerian Man Redesigns A Beetle Tortoise Car Into A Rolls Royce / Would You Buy This Rusty 1952 Volkswagen Beetle (ijapa) For N30million? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:18pm On May 01, 2015
Project phase 2.

The project was slowed down a bit due to some exigencies. Now it has been revived.

I was not happy with the overall body work done on the vehicle by the panel beater so i decided to first ensure the body was repaired optimally before proceeding.

It was evident that the previous paint jobs have been hurried applications of large amounts of potty and cheap paint. I decided to first remove them all.

A new panel beater was sourced who had a grinder plus plenty of time.

Work started this morning.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by eherbal(m): 5:24pm On May 01, 2015
Siena:
Nostalgia City.

I lived in Benin City for over 13 years. The good old days of Tuke Tuke, Datsun 120Y, and of course the venerable Volkswagen Beetle.
the 120y was my mums first ride. White colored and a fantastic interior smell that brings back memories. The last time I was in one was in abeokuta .the nostalgia consumed me. She bought it at sunny motors at ebutte metta grin
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:27pm On May 01, 2015
Grinding

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:32pm On May 01, 2015
A new step board was fabricated from thick guage steel plate. Initial repair by first panel beater was fit only for the trash...

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:36pm On May 01, 2015
Aftermath...

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:38pm On May 01, 2015
More...

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:44pm On May 01, 2015
Was able to remove most of the unwanted potty...

Did some correction on some misaligned fabrications on the fenders...

Next stage would be to complete the body work then correct some wiring errors caused by the former panel. For example, the turn signals now work for brake etc.

I alos need to fix a new headlamp...one looks like it has 'apollo'

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by eherbal(m): 5:45pm On May 01, 2015
Denn:
Project phase 2.

The project was slowed down a bit due to some exigencies. Now it has been revived.

I was not happy with the overall body work done on the vehicle by the panel beater so i decided to first ensure the body was repaired optimally before proceeding.

It was evident that the previous paint jobs have been hurried applications of large amounts of potty and cheap paint. I decided to first remove them all.

A new panel beater was sourced who had a grinder plus plenty of time.

Work started this morning.

bro I'm so inspired. I need to get a project going soon. Maybe I should have go at my 22 year old Honda Accord cc7 F2057 engine (bullet)manual no air-condition. Bad windshield, tokunboh tires,some bad wirings (had to return to default myself). Water is getting thru the sun roof. Limp sunroof cover, no mudguards or something like that. Bad shocks. Noisy driver side shaft. Bad headlights(always facing up), etc
Car handles incredibly well. (thanks Gazzuzz, very much) I call her "A*ss Handler",because she's hardly lost a race to cars her category. Always handing dem dere asses.wicked tin grin
So now I'm gonna restore her lost glory and beauty. Very soon. WATCH OUT!!!

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:47pm On May 01, 2015
I am thinking of a full delete of the rear bumper...

Whilst I want as near factory as possible within the available resources, the vehicle looks better without the rear bumper...IMHO.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 5:51pm On May 01, 2015
New tail lights to be ordered. These things are pricey. Over 100 USD for the pair...maka why?

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Chibzee2: 6:23pm On May 01, 2015
Denn:
Was able to remove most of the unwanted potty...

Did some correction on some misaligned fabrications on the fenders...

Next stage would be to complete the body work then correct some wiring errors caused by the former panel. For example, the turn signals now work for brake etc.

I alos need to fix a new headlamp...one looks like it has 'apollo'
hahaha @ Apollo .
Very good work sir
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Chibzee2: 6:26pm On May 01, 2015
Denn:
I am thinking of a full delete of the rear bumper...

Whilst I want as near factory as possible within the available resources, the vehicle looks better without the rear bumper...IMHO.
yea your right, looks cool without them.
E be like say I go do as you do for that one.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 12:02am On May 02, 2015
I changed the condenser and contact set this week. Read online that they last for few thousand kilometres...

I want to install a contactless ignition system....

This will prevent contact points failing few miles to next oil change
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by ivoryhouse(m): 12:06am On May 02, 2015
Denn:
I changed the condenser and contact set this week. Read online that they last for few thousand kilometres...

I want to install a contactless ignition system....

This will prevent contact points failing few miles to next oil change
Nice one!
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 02, 2015
Denn:
New tail lights to be ordered. These things are pricey. Over 100 USD for the pair...maka why?

Why would you prefer to order parts for a German car from the United States, as opposed to the United Kingdom or Europe??

These parts are exported to the US, and cost more to buy from there, due to seller mark-up and import duty. They are much cheaper to purchase from the UK.

Still, it's your choice and money. *shrugs*.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:23am On Jun 25, 2015
New parts...

Tail lights
head lights
silencer tips
tail lights-front

Sourced in lagos. Trade fair complex

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:53am On Jun 25, 2015
Got a new clutch plate too.

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 8:55am On Jun 25, 2015
Siena:

Why would you prefer to order parts for a German car from the United States, as opposed to the United Kingdom or Europe??

These parts are exported to the US, and cost more to buy from there, due to seller mark-up and import duty. They are much cheaper to purchase from the UK.

Still, it's your choice and money. *shrugs*.

Sourcing locally now. Some sellers still have the parts in Nigeria if we search properly.

Thanks
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:01am On Jun 25, 2015
Engine removed to fix clutch plate.

Exhaust rusts were noticed.

We tried getting a new exhaust but couldn't. Someone had in akilo street, ogba but was told he had travelled back to the east.

We resorted to repairing the old exhaust

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:11am On Jun 25, 2015
New vs old

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:21am On Jun 25, 2015
Thinking of colours....

So many suggestions coming in..

off white
light blue
Bright silver
White

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 9:56am On Jun 25, 2015
Exhaust welding.

Before and after.

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2015
cool Great job! How far with the interior upholstery?
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 1:17pm On Jun 25, 2015
0rex:
cool Great job! How far with the interior upholstery?

Ongoing. Doing a full black vinyl rework on the seats.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Chibzee2: 1:51pm On Jun 25, 2015
Nice one man, very good progress.
i have to say, ill be needing new sets of tail lights and head lamps too.
well done man.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 25, 2015
@ Denn. dat ur classic German machine In the name of MB 200 no do u now na Volkswagen beetle. kontunu. Seems I have a thirst 4 classic cars. I admire u 4 dat. Anyways my few cents 2 add. I think the coil & d carburetor should also be replaced & do pls get d original coil. cos when i was driving this beetle I always had coil problems &;d car always embarrassed me on the road.
Re: Restoring A Classic - Volkswagen 1500 Beetle by Denn(m): 3:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
Chibzee2:
Nice one man, very good progress.
i have to say, ill be needing new sets of tail lights and head lamps too.
well done man.

Will revert.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bullion Van Breaks Down In Abuja, Residents Join The Police To Push It (video) / This Is How To Spot A Flooded Car (video) / Recommend A Suv - For The Nigerian Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.