Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo (987 Views)

Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare / Okechukwu Enelamah To Be Buhari's Finance Minister - TheNewsNigeria / I Consulted Pastor Adeboye Before Accepting To Be Buhari’s Runningmate- Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by makzeze: 5:29am On Feb 08, 2015

.Why I rejected Obasanjo’s offer of Attorney-General of the Federation
.What Pastor Adeboye told me about being Vice President
.It’s funny to say we’ll Islamize Nigeria

Read full story here:
http://dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/top-stories/19559-why-i-accepted-to-be-buhari-s-running-mate-prof-osinbajo
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by donsmall94(m): 5:32am On Feb 08, 2015
Well.
From the handwriting on the political wall, the choice of General Muhammadu Buhari and Professor Yemi Osinbajo as the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates in this year’s election seems to cut the ground from under President Goodluck Jonathan’s feet. This is not because both or either of the opposition party’s flag bearers has a deep pocket. No, it is not. However, symbolism and perception have given them such mileage that the vehicle of incumbency has not helped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP’s) candidate to cover. General Buhari and Professor Osinbajo are perceived to be symbols of integrity, or simply put, adversaries of corruption, the word so equipped with life that it has tormented and sacked the Nigerian nation from the path of purposeful development. The twists and turns in the march to the 2015 elections are seen as the ruling party’s search for a creative design to neutralize the threat posed to it by the overwhelming, near magical support, that the APC’s candidates have attracted, though they don’t belong to the bracket of rich politicians.
An opportunity to interview one of these wave-making politicians was dangled at Sunday Trust last Monday and our reporter swiftly trapped it. Professor Osinbajo was en route Makurdi, Benue State, for a town hall meeting with a congregation of church leaders from the North-Central geopolitical zone. My contact said, “If you’re at Evergreen by 2.00pm, you could interview the professor.” It was like Prophet Elijah telling apprentice Elisha that if Elisha saw him being taken away in the clouds, young Elisha would receive the double portion of Elijah’s anointing for miracles.
This reporter was unaware that there is a terminus of Evergreen Aviation Nigeria in Lagos. It’s a stone’s throw from the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos. Evergreen is one of several private aviation terminals in the commercial city. After a tension-soaked hour of waiting, the lively chatter in the waiting lounge of the terminus screeched to a half. In hushed tones, staff and half a dozen aides announced Professor Osinbajo’s arrival.
Without an air of power and without being surrounded by adulation or hero worship of “His Excellency,” the Vice-Presidential candidate sauntered into the reception hall. Instead of saluting him with his futuristic appellation, “His Excellency,” intermittently he was greeted with ‘Prof’ prefix and suffix. I noticed that ‘Prof’ had spread in the air from one corner of the waiting room to another. In an apparent mien that let out his preference for humility, Professor Osinbajo stretched out his hand and shook everyone in the room. Taking a step further, he acquiesced to appeals by everyone to pose for snap shots with everyone who was ready to utilize the photo opportunity with the hopeful Vice President.
However, the interview I expected would not take place at the speed of anxiety. Embedded in the activities of the professor from 2.00pm to 12.00 midnight on Monday, February 2, 2015, I learnt a lot of lessons, including the philosophical saying that money is not everything. The almost 58-year-old professor of Law I met from noon to midnight is what Apostle Paul would tag as “a written epistle”, an embodiment of the Christian faith. Incidentally, I was to later learn that it was at his Olive Tree Parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) in Banana Island, Ikeja, Lagos that President Goodluck Jonathan knelt down before Pastor Enoch Adeboye for prayer and anointing in the run-up to the 2011 presidential election. A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Professor Osinbajo was Lagos State Attorney General during the eight years that Asiwaju Bola Tinubu was governor of the South-West State. Among many local and international organizations he is affiliated to is the United Nations.
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by donsmall94(m): 5:38am On Feb 08, 2015
Continued
He is a member of the United Nations Secretary General’s Committee of Experts on Conduct and Discipline of UN Peacekeeping Personnel around the world. He’s also a staff member of the Justice Division of the United Nations Operations in Somalia (UNOSOM 11). In this interview, Professor Osinbajo spoke on his faith and politics. Excerpts:

As a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and former Attorney-General of Lagos State, it was never your kind of schedule to be travelling from one part of the country to another on campaign. How are you coping with the demands?
It’s been very hectic but exciting. It’s interesting. One is able to go the length and breadth of the country and meet with real people, with real issues and real problems. We’re able to get a general sense of how the man on the street, the average Nigerian feels about so many issues. I think it’s one of the most educative, instructive periods of my life.

If you look at the reception in Makurdi, people had high expectations from you and the Presidential candidate of the APC, General Muhammadu Buhari. How do you feel when you discover that people may be expecting much more than you can deliver, if elected?
I think it’s a bit overwhelming sometimes. But what strengthens me is the fact that I know that if the Lord helps us to win the election, we’ll give it our best; we would have no other objective than good governance, no private agenda, nothing. I think that commitment alone is what strengthens me. I know how committed General Buhari is; I know how single-minded he is and fortunately, I share that with him - commitment and single-mindedness to the Nigerian project.

How well did you know Buhari before you were named his running mate in the forthcoming election?
I had met him a number of times in the past few years. But before the presidential nomination, there was a time when we were drafting the APC manifestoes and other things I had occasions to interact with him quite frequently. I had interacted with him, spoken to him, discussed with him on few occasions.

If you didn’t know him quite well, if you become his Vice-President, you may not be able to function in harmony.
No. I don’t think. For instance, I had never met Asiwaju Bola Tinubu before I became Attorney-General. I had not met him before he won the election as governor-elect. But we had a working relationship that lasted eight years. I regard him as an older brother. And in many senses, he is also my leader. We’ve functioned so well, so effectively for all of these years. So, I don’t think it’s important that you know someone very, very well in order to work well with him. What is most important is commitment, loyalty and trustworthiness. That’s it.

Are you worried that some Christian leaders are campaigning against Buhari, expressing the fear that he could Islamise the country?
No, I’m not worried because I know that the truth will prevail. I know that there are some individuals who genuinely worry about Islamization. But there are others who know the truth but prefer the propaganda for their own interest. I know some people are genuinely worried, but there is nothing to worry about it. The reason why no one should worry is that there is no Islamic agenda; General Buhari has no Islamic agenda, and I can say that with conviction because I have interacted with him, and his antecedents do not show that he has any fundamentalist Islamic tendencies.

What are the antecedents which attest to your claim?
The first is that he was a Head of State of Nigeria from December 1983 to August 1985. In that period he had nearly absolute powers. He appointed the ministers, governors, his deputy was a Muslim. Of the 19 governors that he appointed, 11 were Christians. Of the ministers he appointed, 70 per cent of them were Christians. That was when he could have done what he wished. He was under pressure; there were forces that wanted him to join the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC). He refused to join the OIC.
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by otbliz(m): 5:52am On Feb 08, 2015
Bros u for just summarise. You no know say if i start to read this thing, i fit late for church by the finish, or worst case scenario, church service fit don finish grin
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by nellyjohn: 6:09am On Feb 08, 2015
Long story. This doesn't change any fact. Let buhari show us his certificate first then I wil know he is not trying to be president in a corrupt way.
Till Buhari submits his certificate, GEJ till 2019

3 Likes

Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Tundenoni(m): 6:10am On Feb 08, 2015
make I comment before I read, because if read before I comment...Hmmmmm, sorry na my name.

#march4BUHARI

1 Like

Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Juliaann(f): 6:13am On Feb 08, 2015
Summarize please
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by DahtzFestjayz: 6:19am On Feb 08, 2015
In One statement. God supports the Relationship between Buhari and Osibanjo, very certain that Buhari is going to conquer Jonathan. #March4Buhari
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by jamex93(m): 6:22am On Feb 08, 2015
4get DAT tin....we know their plan, they want to personalize the nation..... God dey watch una

1 Like

Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by lilbabyak(m): 6:32am On Feb 08, 2015
Na the only thing wey pain me for the debate wey dem no do be them.
This man would have made namadi sweat like a sallah ram. Nevertheless even the president is having sleepless nights cos of him.

March4Buhari
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by mrofficial(m): 6:32am On Feb 08, 2015
Booked.

#March4Buhari.
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Vicotex(m): 6:45am On Feb 08, 2015
doesn't change any thing.
GEJ till 2019

#MarchBuhariBackToDaura

1 Like

Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by borntosave: 6:50am On Feb 08, 2015
Hmm
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Caseless: 8:48am On Feb 08, 2015
Juliaann:
Summarize please
leave here.
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by oneeast: 9:03am On Feb 08, 2015
All these grammar will not remove the stench of stark illiteracy, crudeness and extremism on Buhari. Its a huge shame that a supposed professor of law is running for an election with an unlettered bigot who rose to ranks via a mere 'recommendation letter' instead of his certificate.

GEJ is not perfect but APC has not made matter convenient for undecided voters by the choice they made in Buhari.

Anyways GEJ till 2019..
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by AmucheJane(f): 11:46am On Feb 08, 2015
Too long o, can't read it. Meanwhile GEJ 2019.
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by babdap: 11:50am On Feb 08, 2015
I will comment later. Prayer things on point
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Day169: 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2015
Thought inspiring words from the APC Vice presidential candidate.
I pray that the truth will prevail, come march!
Re: Why I Accepted To Be Buhari’s Running Mate - Prof. Osinbajo by Orunto: 2:25pm On Feb 08, 2015
In all of the points you raised, you are right. 1, If GEJ wins and offers you the Minister of Justice, please accept. God is your Instructor, Director and Discernment here. He knows best how to prepare you for the Road ahead. As He did for Joseph, Daniel and Paul, remember Saul was a chief scribe and a member of the Saheldrin before God changed his status for good and his name to Paul, so God is planning your ways. 2, I am not a Barrister but I know like you that no one can islamized Nigeria. And no one can stop satan from trying it. Only God can harden satan to try anything even against His Own Son until He, God is ready to settle things His own ways. So, my brother, always work and pray. Avoid sinning.. 3, I supported your present shadow VP status, not because I thought APC would win the upcoming election but that you are the only one that is available now to prevent Fulani Arabs riding rough on the Yorubas and Igbos going miles instead of misses in Lagos. 4, To think that something might happen to Buhari and you become the President, like it happened to Yaradua and Goodluck, God forbids this for you.. Believe not in their charms, for God is your Hope, Power and Might.

(1) (Reply)

"I Was Asked To Resign As Buhari's VP After We Won Elections"- Tunde Bakare / Obasanjo's Endorsement Of Buhari Can Be A Kiss Of Death - Ezeife / Osinbajo Neglected His Father, Mother And Family Members (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.