Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! (18547 Views)

Nigeria Economy: We ‘re Starting From Scratch - Buhari / Diversification of Nigeria Economy : We Need Techs more than Agric !e / Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy Given Current Growth Rate (EXCLUSIVE) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by MARKone(m): 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
Shay na 'To' no be 'has' or 'had'. That Nigeria factor will always be there.

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Champele(m): 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
In apc's voice 'my people my people,i will build roads for you,i will build schools for you,i fight corruption,i will put GEJ in prison,i will weep disobedient civil servants,i put them in crates, i will create parallel gov,etc. After election the next time you will be their people will be after four yrs and you go hear the same sermon.lol. In GEJ's voice,my fellow Nigerians,i have build roads for you,i've build rail for you,build schools for you,build hospitals for you,privatised eelectricity for you,create million jobs for you,stop ghost workers for you,etc and i promise to do more. Carry go my humble presido!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Truckpusher(m): 12:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
teemanbastos:
Economy good yet i dy struggle, xo whatz d benefit of good economy? undecided
gej is workingundecided
How productive are you? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by thaoriginator: 12:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
grin for newspaper abi? Oloshi people!
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
GEJ is a gift given to Nigerians by God himself.

Whether APC propagandists like it or not, GEJ till 2019

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by dustmalik: 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
This is what Soludo has been saying. Our Economy is being doctored to look good, when, in fact, it's messed up. This administration needs to go ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by sammyj: 12:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
All na wash. Election propaganda grin grin
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 12:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
My President is Black, my Babe is white...
Nice one GEJ for beating Africa and now taking on the world

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by ollyruffy: 12:34pm On Feb 13, 2015
PDP - Party Deceiving People.

I dey laugh ooo. Not only UK, even the entire world economy.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by elbaraj001(m): 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
[quote author=ishiamu post=30685180]According to a recently released PWC report available on most top British & European Newspapers and Tabloids, The UK economy will be overtaken by Nigeria and Mexico by 2050 as the country currently sitting among the Top Ten economies in the World may be displaced by these emerging economies given the current GDP growth rate of the country.The UK’s economy’s will lag behind emerging markets, as its GDP growth rate falls from 2.3 per cent in 2014 to around 1.8 per cent in 2050, the report attributesan aging population and slothfulness among the countries workers as reason for the decline in the UK’s productivity.Nigeria currently the 39th strongest Economy in the World under President Jonathan’s government in terms of GDP, Vietnam and the Philippines have high projected average growth rates of around 4.5-5.5 per cent per year until 2050. Malaysia is also projected to grow at around 4 per cent, which is higher than China’s projected average growth rate of around 3.5 per cent.By 2050, according to a World Bank, Goldman Sachs study it is believed that if this current growth rate is maintained, Mexico will have become the Eight biggesteconomy in the world, and Nigeria the 13th by 2050. Turkey, Vietnam, Colombia, Poland and Malaysia are also slated to be the fast-growing large economies in the years taking us up to the middle of the century.John Hawksworth, PwC’s chief economist, said: “Europe needs to up its game if it’s not to be left behind by this historic shift of global economic power, which is moving us back to the kind of Asian-led world economy last seen before the Industrial Revolution. The US may hold up better, provided it can remain at the global technological frontier, and the UK could also perform well by G7 standards if it remains open to trade, investment, people and ideas.”However, while it is easy to cite mammoth growth for emerging markets, PwC did state that for these economies to realise their full potential, their respective governments would need to pursue and maintain sensible economic policies.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by ttmacoy: 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
Sorry but this is all hypothetical and I don't see it happening. The bigger nigeria's economy grows the smaller the growth rate so using current growth rate to estimate to 2050 doesn't make sense.

You need to look at the assumptions in the appendix to make sense of the projections.

Also the risks cover their back e.g. from the report: whilst Nigeria has the potential to be a fast growing country, this is dependent on Nigeria using its oil wealth to develop a broader based economy with better infrastructure and institutions e.g. rulebook law.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by nortcentrallord(m): 12:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
My President is GEJ, my vote is his and I 'll be God dammed if my Passport ain't green... Our heroes past crawled so muritala Mohammed could walk, Muritala Mohammed walked so GEJ can now run, GEJ already running so we all can Fly, so spread your wings you can meet me in the sky. So Haters better put ya heads up coz we already in the sky.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by BodyKiss(m): 12:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
unite4real:
the graph did not show that Nigeria economy overtook uk in 2050 as estimated. You can change the heading to read that nigeria economy to rank 13th in the world by 2050 as estimated.

Another blunder by seun and co. They push anything to front page without proper verification.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by nortcentrallord(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
Zohan:

Lmao where re they marching to.
Marching to 2050. 4wrd ever, conductor can keep the change. I always leave it for them though grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by hambehsam(m): 12:49pm On Feb 13, 2015
ellechrystal:

What do u really want Truth right?
Has any Nigerian politician ever told d truth?
Pat utomi is also a liar, all of them r liars, just appreciate d little u c for now.
That's all

Well said. Let us appreciate the little things so we can see the big picture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by teemanbastos(m): 12:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
Truckpusher:
How productive are you? undecided
not with 200 to 1$ undecided
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by ogene007: 12:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
UrennaNkoli:
Good but that rigorous journey to year 2050 starts from march 28 .Only change can make this a reality. Not at this useless tenure where a £ = #312

#VoteforBuhari

please vote wisely

[size=18pt]Sai Buhari[/size]
The naira is falling because APC and Buhari have not provided any clear blueprint on their proposed economic policy, and this is driving fear into the owners of the FDIs, who are pulling out their funds from the country. It is the speculation about what may or may not be, that is driving down the value of the local currency. You can now imagine what will happen to the naira if Buhari wins the elections, and the militants in the niger delta blow up the oil pipelines as they have been threatening. The only way nigeria will attain the predicted economic height in 2050 is if the transformation agenda of GEJ is not scuttled. We will like to reiterate that the present economic team headed by Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala remains the best ever in the history of nigeria, and we are better off with continuity, rather than a sinister ''change''. GEJ till 2019.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
nortcentrallord:

Marching to 2050. 4wrd ever, conductor can keep the change. I always leave it for them though grin grin grin
Hehe
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
1stCitizen:
At N312 to £1 and still rising?

Are you minding the unfortunate refugees in this nation
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by nortcentrallord(m): 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
aflyingbird:
MCHEEEEEW, 2050? DAT'S 35 YEARS AWAY, Lmaooo
Do not be selfish, make a sacrifice for your unborn children. They deserve better than this even though our elders left us with little or nothing and are still struggling leadership with us while tapping us on our backs and whispering into our ears "u are the leaders of 2moro". Sometimes I wonder if tomorrow ever ends.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
ishiamu:
According to a recently released PWC report available on most top British & European Newspapers and Tabloids, The UK economy will be overtaken by Nigeria and Mexico by 2050 as the country currently sitting among the Top Ten economies in the World may be displaced by these emerging economies given the current GDP growth rate of the country.The UK’s economy’s will lag behind emerging markets, as its GDP growth rate falls from 2.3 per cent in 2014 to around 1.8 per cent in 2050, the report attributesan aging population and slothfulness among the countries workers as reason for the decline in the UK’s productivity.Nigeria currently the 39th strongest Economy in the World under President Jonathan’s government in terms of GDP, Vietnam and the Philippines have high projected average growth rates of around 4.5-5.5 per cent per year until 2050. Malaysia is also projected to grow at around 4 per cent, which is higher than China’s projected average growth rate of around 3.5 per cent.By 2050, according to a World Bank, Goldman Sachs study it is believed that if this current growth rate is maintained, Mexico will have become the Eight biggesteconomy in the world, and Nigeria the 13th by 2050. Turkey, Vietnam, Colombia, Poland and Malaysia are also slated to be the fast-growing large economies in the years taking us up to the middle of the century.John Hawksworth, PwC’s chief economist, said: “Europe needs to up its game if it’s not to be left behind by this historic shift of global economic power, which is moving us back to the kind of Asian-led world economy last seen before the Industrial Revolution. The US may hold up better, provided it can remain at the global technological frontier, and the UK could also perform well by G7 standards if it remains open to trade, investment, people and ideas.”However, while it is easy to cite mammoth growth for emerging markets, PwC did state that for these economies to realise their full potential, their respective governments would need to pursue and maintain sensible economic policies.

http://www.thewhistleng.com/we-dont-want-this-to-change-nigeria-mexico-to-overtake-uk-economy-given-current-growth-rate-exclusive/

A very big BUT grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by BizBayo: 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
2050 . I hope they are mistaking next year for 2050.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Truckpusher(m): 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
teemanbastos:
not with 200 to 1$:-/
Was it as a result of bad economic policies by this present administration? undecided

If you don't know why N200 is equal to 1$ dollar exchange rate right now then you have no right to even criticize the Government.
Like I said before most you are poor because you're mentally lazy and may likely die poor because you're always expecting the Government to spoon feed you.
Nigeria is a goldmine,get yourself some skills or think out something from your head and watch yourself swim in money as you continue to reinvest opening new fronts .A country of 250 million people require a lot of different services don't be left out .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by shineeye: 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2015
in 35 yrs time
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by searider(m): 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2015
How is Nigeria suppose to move from 39th position to 13t: position considering our mono-economy without the zeal for diversification.

Aaaw! I see; it was projected that the Nigerian oil will dry-up in 2040. Only then would our leaders wake-up to reality to diversify the ecanomy; if not Nigeria may even fall to 70th postision in 2050.

#projection.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by nextstep(m): 1:12pm On Feb 13, 2015
Error. That chart was from 2012. In case nobody heard, officially (according to our own official numbers, which I respect, as well as world bank and IMF accounts) Nigeria ranks 23rd as of 2014, is likely 21st as of 2015, and and is definitely going to rank in the top 20 before 2020. If you really take all the productivity actually on the ground in Nigeria not accounted for in the so called informal sector like pure water and aba made, you will conclude - as I have - that it already is a top-20 economy. Please note that only 8-12% of that is from oil. The other 90% is from Nigerians' hard work:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria (disclaimer, I've been an editor of this page for almost 10 years)

The informal sector can be quite large in developing economies, as much as 60% of government estimates due to inadequate sampling. In other words, instead of $522billion in 2013, it might actually be closer to $835billion. See here for more info
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informal_sector

Take this example where Nafdac states that pure water alone accounts for #7billion per day http://www.punchng.com/health/pure-water-business-generates-n7bn-daily-nafdac/

Na coins? This is from 2012, I bet it's closer to #12billion today. At #180 to $1, we get $67million per day! Which is about $24 billion annually. Just pure water alone. The same pure water our elites like to ridicule. This is in the ballpark of the official budget from oil. Granted these numbers are my estimates, but do your own calculation, and you'll see they give an idea of the scale of the Nigerian economy.

If the government was serious, they should start making pure water, poff poff, and boli. They'd make more money than they're making from oil. I'm telling you.

Nobody - certainly not some "economist" in New York or London, or even the "hungry masses on the streets of Lagos" - really understands the scale and diversity of the Nigerian economy. We need to stop the self-abuse, stop taking oyinbo opinions as facts, and be more objective about Nigeria.

I commend our statistician-general and his staff on their work so far, and I await more revisions as promised.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
When one says average or common Nigerians are living in (abject) poverty, I always willing to object. Majority of southern Nigerians are not poor. They live above all indices for measuring poverty.

It is only who wants to be poor are poor- I mean when you have poor mentality. You will remain poor.
As an Igbo boy, many of us are rich even among formally uneducated ones. It is very easy to do business in Nigeria if one has imaginations. The most difficult place to do business or break even is in Silicon Valley not in Nigeria.

Sitting down and press phones would only make one frustrated. Many people here in Nigeria are making millions everyday why frustrated ones are pressing phones and blame their parents, neighbours, administration, Gej , Buhari etc etc.

In the midst of war, people are still making money. Stop blaming system.

You can but there is a prize to pay ie your imaginations
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by 100Cents: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2015
GOODLUCK should take it easy.

The way he is developing Nigeria is too fast for people without certificate to understand.. cheesy
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by tsdarkside(m): 1:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
nigeria,the apple of my eye.carry go,carry go,,,up up to victory.
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by tsdarkside(m): 1:22pm On Feb 13, 2015
soon they will be saying "Nigeria will surpass UK in 2020"
Re: Nigeria, Mexico To Overtake UK Economy, We Don’t Want This To “CHANGE”! by philips70(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2015
I guess it's the TANdroids on Nairaland that pressurized GEJ through Wendell Simlin and Okugbe for the elections to be postponed. Watch out for more voodoo economics threads hitting frontpage on per second basis from now till election day.

Unfortunately the best chef in the world cannot salvage a rotten egg. Nigerians have decided to end this government of massive sleaze. You guys can continue earning your pay, after all this is part of the jobs Okonjo said the economy is creating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

General Otiki: Caught In The Web Of Sokoto Election Politics! By PRNigeria / Gov. Adeleke Shows Off His Football Skills At An Event (pics/video) / Why Blogger Emenike Iroegbu Was Arrested - Abia Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.