Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,300 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH (25965 Views)

Ibrahim Idris Accused Of Looting And Sexual Relationship With Subordinates / Nigeria Hits 5,000MW Power Generation Mark / Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping Boko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tbaba1234: 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
The Nigerian military responded with anger Thursday after its soldiers were dismissed by the defence authorities of Niger as “cowards”, in a rare public tit-for-tat between the two countries involved in the fight against extremist group, Boko Haram.

Niger’s Defence Ministry had in an earlier statement said its soldiers, unlike their Nigerian counterparts, do not run away in the face of battle with Boko Haram militants.

“Our soldiers are not like Nigerians. They don’t run,” the statement said.

In series of tweets, the Nigerian Defence Spokesperson, Chris Olukolade, branded Nigerien soldiers “looters”, and accused them of providing fighters to Boko Haram.

Mr. Olukolade said it was unacceptable for Niger, involved in a Multi-National Joint Task Force, MNJTF, with Nigeria, Cameroun and
Chad, to insult Nigerian soldiers who fight to defend their country.

Mr. Olukolade, a Major General, described the
Nigerien military as “treacherous” and “poor”.

Re: NIGER – Nigerian Soldiers remain undaunted despite attacks and insults. They have been maximizing the use of available resources to../1
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

to keep at bay these terrorists who keep
flooding in from around. Our troops have with due decency & professionalism respected borders /2
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Our soldiers have remained professional & sacrificial in protecting their fellow Nigerians, preserving the nation's assets /4
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Despite these jeerings, insults & ill wishes from within or without Nigeria, the Nigerian Soldier has not & will not be deterred /5
— Gen. Chris
Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

He remains the gallant, brave and patriotic Nigerian Soldier. Although these battles continue, and others are now joining him, never mind /6
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

very soon, it will be #VictoryforNigeria . The Nigerian Military remains a great asset and the envy of otherNations. /7 RE: Niger
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Welcome our friends from Niger. No way for your infamous looting here. How thevpoor country compensates it's soldiers & claim they
don't run
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Our soldiers have been defending our people & Nations wealth from mercenaries supplied to Boko Haram by those who boast that they don't run
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

The Nigerien Defence Ministry's irresponsible
comment is noted. It is sad a few partisan elements join the Poor Country to insult our Troops
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

We don't cross our boundaries. It is unacceptable for any Foreign Government to say our Soldiers run. This is your Motherland! Defend Her!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Some rushed to the press with the Nigerien gaffe hoping to embarrass our military or government. But nobody will disrespect my Mother!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Poor Niger! Treacherous ones amongst us accorded them effrontery to insult our troops to
gain bad press. Don't compromise your Patriotism!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

In his tweets, the general, however assured that the Nigerian military and its soldiers will not be deterred by the insult, as they were focused on clearing the country of the insurgents.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/176751-nigeria-hits-back-niger-accuses-coalition-soldiers-looting-helping-boko-haram.html

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
There are 2 groups of boko haram in Nigeria....

The boko haram within the army and the deadly boko haram

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Tundenoni(m): 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2015
sh!t
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tbaba1234: 2:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
I understand that it is insulting but we need to also look inwards.

29 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by VolvoS60(m): 3:19pm On Feb 13, 2015

I don't believe it! I saw another thread raised on this topic and immediately dismissed the comments attributed to Mr. Olukolade as a hoax. Only for this thread to show up with a news source and link.

Did he really say all these things?

I don't believe it!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Boss13: 3:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
A shame to the Nigerian army. I feel highly insulted by the comments of the Nigerien, but they only said the truth. We actually do not need a multi-national troop to curtail the insurgence, if only the Nigerian army had provided the right equipment and morale for the soldiers. I can feel Gen. Olukolade feels insulted and I am also glad. The issue of boko haram was politicised now the cock has come home to roost. Our image in foreign affairs, especially in Africa, just hits the rocks. We used to be admired, now we are laughed at and now mocked.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tbaba1234: 4:05pm On Feb 13, 2015
VolvoS60:

I don't believe it. I saw another thread raised on this topic and immediately dismissed the comments attributed to Mr. Olukolade as a hoax. Only for this thread to show up with a news source and link.

Did he really say all these things?

I don't believe it!

Very unprofessional,

http://twitter.com/GENOlukolade

You can read for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tbaba1234: 4:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
The NSA called Nigerian soldiers 'cowards' so why are we shocked when foreigners say same

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by thev0ice1: 4:21pm On Feb 13, 2015
the nigerian army has had its respect seriously diminished under this govt so much so even fayose is now being chauffeur driven by soldiers. when we need chad and cameroon to help us fight our battles, why won't poor niger insult us?

an army that confesses it can't guarantee elections because of a rag tag group of religious nut-jobs, is now angry at insults being thrown it's way by a smaller but more disciplined army.

thank God we are not bordered by undully ambitous neighbours......it might have been slave trade era all over again angry

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by atlwireles: 4:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
tbaba1234:
The NSA called Nigerian soldiers 'cowards' so why are we shocked when foreigners say same

The NSA called some soldiers coward. The likes of Gen Ransome kuti and his entire command staff. angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by asadike(f): 4:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
Wait o! Is this how they will defeat boko haram? By trading insults? Dis will only encourage shekau and his men d more. The nigeria army should tread carefully.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by eazisky(m): 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
i love actions, unlike our weak President

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tomber(m): 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
asadike:
Wait o! Is this how they will defeat boko haram? By trading insults? Dis will only encourage shekau and his men d more. The nigeria army should tread carefully.

I hope this is not true. We need more and more cooperation. In fact, we need "a united voice" that the best of weapons. If Nigeria fails today, France can't save Niger, Chad or Cameroon, they'll all fail too.

The U.S military trained Iraqi Army, sold and gave to them the best of weapons. Guess what happened when ISIS came? They almost took over the country in a few weeks. The US Army had to come in, along side their friends, with the best of fighter jets to help dislodge ISIS. Guess what? After all the billions spent and the thousands of air strikes against ISIS, they are yet to be dislodged.
The US and it allies spent over a trillion dollar in Afghan but couldn't win the Taliban.

Let's give NA a chance. We can't keep insulting then and hope they'll wanna die for us. We should know that salary and allowances are not enough motivation for soldiers in a real war but patriotism. This is not peace keeping, neither is it really a conventional war. Let not worsen their state of their morals with our posts, the service chiefs included. Niger and co should stop joining the west to score cheap points out of our predicament.

In the past, northern leaders especially-and Buhari inclusive- were directly or indirectly motivating those boys, and to the contrary demoralizing the NA. Some others that could help didn't help, cos of political interests; while some were for religious reasons, sympathetic to the course of boko. Now things have gone out of hand and we're facing the consequences. Everyone of us, including the Northern leaders,and ppl those that were sabotaging or sympathizing,Jona, past presidents, media, service chiefs etc one way or the other, will facing the consequences of our actions and inactions and will still face till God knows when. Let's work together to cut the days and consequences short.

And lastly, for Buhari(or whosoever) to try to simplify the causes for the dragging of this war against BH to Jona and corruption, is to either be totally oblivious of reality or to simply be mischievous. And I'm still wondering why no one has asked him what he meant by fighting Boko haram is fight the north; why no one has asked him if he'll treat them like Niger Delta militants were treated i.e by giving Amnesty as he went about admonishing Jona months back.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by genearts(m): 4:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
b
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by scribble: 4:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
Niger must be sponsoring them small

But damn all this is poverty driven and I smell western forces egging them on

They are in a race for the economic future of the human race
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Nobody: 4:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Sierraloaded: 4:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
Noted
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by sammyj: 4:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
Why are we just hearing this revelation from our Army? This is medicine after death and is it after the Minister of defense came out first with his allegations about our army before all this revelation is coming out. Just like I commented when this ideal of joint military task force came up, let me paraphrase my comment "This might just give our so called neighbors to infringe our sovereignty by crossing our borders at well since they have been given this opportunity before and seeing this new revelation from the army, it is already coming to past" .O God of heaven we need the right leader to come and manage the affairs of this country before this clueless administration bring it down completely. But first thing first is to bring about the change foundation we desire for our up coming generations to build on. You can start this change by voting for the peoples general and his VP. Vote wisely, vote for change, vote for GMB/PYO come March 2015.

Click likes in support for our distinguished general and prof. wink

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by iiichidodo: 4:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
The last thing we need is disunity in the joint task force but if push comes to shove we suggest Niger be jettisoned but we keep Tchad in the coalition...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by mentorandfriend(m): 4:50pm On Feb 13, 2015
The MNJTF should quit trading insults. Its unprofessional. And to the Nigerian Army who feel insulted by the comments of the Nigerien Army, which I do not support however, they should win that argument through results. Flush out Boko Haram in six weeks as they promised. Results cancel out insults.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by uzolexis(f): 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
Instead of them to join forces together to fight the common enemy, they are fighting each other #issokay undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
The Nigeriens are right to some extent, but I wouldn't blame the Nigerian soldier for running,
if na my brother nko??
I wouldn't tell him to face BH when it's obvious they have more sophisticated weapon.
FG/NA. SHOULD SHUT THEIR BLOODY TRAPS AND LET THE BATTLE TO BE WON FIRST.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by dre11(m): 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
All this will bickering will not help us win the war...

The coalition need to stay focus and align so as to win this war.... If division like this set in, it will give the boko haram guys time to regroup and reequipped their stock......
The army should remember..... They ask for just 6 weeks to end or render this guys useless.

Nigerians are waiting and counting on them to do this job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by vantage7: 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
GMB, sir, please come and rescue this country from insecurity and international embarrassment.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by timpaker(m): 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
See vex!!! angry

What an effrontery and insult angry angry
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
( Welcome our friends from Niger. No way for your infamous looting here. How thevpoor country compensates it's soldiers & claim they
don't run
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015 )

This got me laughing because even the claim rich country ( Nigeria ) can never provide her Army with sophisticated machines to crush the enemies.

This claim by Olukolade clearly shows that it was true that top army generals loot and embezzle funds meant for the the galant fighter.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by izu777: 4:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
Our military has been battling the BH boys for years and contained them to the northeast if it where in Niger republic i can bet you anything by now the entire Niger will have been under their control

Suspected Boko Haram leader captured
Source: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/3216-suspected-boko-haram-leader-captured

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by chinex276(m): 4:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
O! The GI.ant of AFRICA

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Almubarak5: 4:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
FP @ last, 4 d 1st time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki And Other Senators At Kebbi Airport (Photos) / Dambazau Visits Scene Of January 1 Rivers Killings (Photos) / Osun Election: Why Adeleke Is Leading Oyetola – APC Chieftain, Chidike Ukauwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.