Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,082 members, 7,821,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH (25980 Views)

Ibrahim Idris Accused Of Looting And Sexual Relationship With Subordinates / Nigeria Hits 5,000MW Power Generation Mark / Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping Boko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by ALISMILE(m): 7:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
aanumama:
The Nigeriens are right to some extent, but I wouldn't blame the Nigerian soldier for running,
if na my brother nko??
I wouldn't tell him to face BH when it's obvious they have more sophisticated weapon.
FG/NA. SHOULD SHUT THEIR BLOODY TRAPS AND LET THE BATTLE TO BE WON FIRST.
Do u feel that way for d Police?
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
tbaba1234:
The Nigerian military responded with anger Thursday after its soldiers were dismissed by the defence authorities of Niger as “cowards”, in a rare public tit-for-tat between the two countries involved in the fight against extremist group, Boko Haram.

Niger’s Defence Ministry had in an earlier statement said its soldiers, unlike their Nigerian counterparts, do not run away in the face of battle with Boko Haram militants.

“Our soldiers are not like Nigerians. They don’t run,” the statement said.

In series of tweets, the Nigerian Defence Spokesperson, Chris Olukolade, branded Nigerien soldiers “looters”, and accused them of providing fighters to Boko Haram.

Mr. Olukolade said it was unacceptable for Niger, involved in a Multi-National Joint Task Force, MNJTF, with Nigeria, Cameroun and
Chad, to insult Nigerian soldiers who fight to defend their country.

Mr. Olukolade, a Major General, described the
Nigerien military as “treacherous” and “poor”.

Re: NIGER – Nigerian Soldiers remain undaunted despite attacks and insults. They have been maximizing the use of available resources to../1
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

to keep at bay these terrorists who keep
flooding in from around. Our troops have with due decency & professionalism respected borders /2
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Our soldiers have remained professional & sacrificial in protecting their fellow Nigerians, preserving the nation's assets /4
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Despite these jeerings, insults & ill wishes from within or without Nigeria, the Nigerian Soldier has not & will not be deterred /5
— Gen. Chris
Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

He remains the gallant, brave and patriotic Nigerian Soldier. Although these battles continue, and others are now joining him, never mind /6
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

very soon, it will be #VictoryforNigeria . The Nigerian Military remains a great asset and the envy of otherNations. /7 RE: Niger
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Welcome our friends from Niger. No way for your infamous looting here. How thevpoor country compensates it's soldiers & claim they
don't run
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Our soldiers have been defending our people & Nations wealth from mercenaries supplied to Boko Haram by those who boast that they don't run
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

The Nigerien Defence Ministry's irresponsible
comment is noted. It is sad a few partisan elements join the Poor Country to insult our Troops
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

We don't cross our boundaries. It is unacceptable for any Foreign Government to say our Soldiers run. This is your Motherland! Defend Her!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Some rushed to the press with the Nigerien gaffe hoping to embarrass our military or government. But nobody will disrespect my Mother!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

Poor Niger! Treacherous ones amongst us accorded them effrontery to insult our troops to
gain bad press. Don't compromise your Patriotism!
— Gen. Chris Olukolade
(@GENOlukolade)
February 12, 2015

In his tweets, the general, however assured that the Nigerian military and its soldiers will not be deterred by the insult, as they were focused on clearing the country of the insurgents.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/176751-nigeria-hits-back-niger-accuses-coalition-soldiers-looting-helping-boko-haram.html

what an insult. I never believed this kind of shyte will ever happen in my generation as a Nigerian. Imagine if this shyte is happening in Abacha regime.

WE ALL GOT TO BE PREPARED. I FEEL NIGER, CHAD OR CAMEROON WILL ATTACK NIGERIA SOON. WE'VE EXPOSED A LOT OF WEAKNESS TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by PassingShot(m): 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2015
Boss13:
A shame to the Nigerian army. I feel highly insulted by the comments of the Nigerien, but they only said the truth. We actually do not need a multi-national troop to curtail the insurgence, if only the Nigerian army had provided the right equipment and morale for the soldiers. I can feel Gen. Olukolade feels insulted and I am also glad. The issue of boko haram was politicised now the cock has come home to roost. Our image in foreign affairs, especially in Africa, just hits the rocks. We used to be admired, now we are laughed at and now mocked.

This exactly was GMB's position on the matter. It's a shame indeed.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Horus(m): 7:41pm On Feb 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jto5hBsJo

[size=15pt]Nigeria's Campaign Against Boko Haram Hampered by 'cowards' in its armed forces[/size]
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by kenx1(m): 7:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
ranting on twitter #9jamilitary
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Abmalcom(m): 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
I weep for my dear nation, Nigeria. The once feared, internationally cherished and professional disciplined Nigerian Army has sold all its hard earned integrity on the platter politics. Who will redeem it for us?
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Dewze(m): 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2015
tomber:

I hope this is not true. We need more and more cooperation. In fact, we need "a united voice" that the best of weapons. If Nigeria fails today, France can't save Niger, Chad or Cameroon, they'll all fail too.

The U.S military trained Iraqi Army, sold and gave to them the best of weapons. Guess what happened when ISIS came? They almost took over the country in a few weeks. The US Army had to come in, along side their friends, with the best of fighter jets to help dislodge ISIS. Guess what? After all the billions spent and the thousands of air strikes against ISIS, they are yet to be dislodged.
The US and it allies spent over a trillion dollar in Afghan but couldn't win the Taliban.

Let's give NA a chance. We can't keep insulting then and hope they'll wanna die for us. We should know that salary and allowances are not enough motivation for soldiers in a real war but patriotism. This is not peace keeping, neither is it really a conventional war. Let not worsen their state of their morals with our posts, the service chiefs included. Niger and co should stop joining the west to score cheap points out of our predicament.

In the past, northern leaders especially-and Buhari inclusive- were directly or indirectly motivating those boys, and to the contrary demoralizing the NA. Some others that could help didn't help, cos of political interests; while some were for religious reasons, sympathetic to the course of boko. Now things have gone out of hand and we're facing the consequences. Everyone of us, including the Northern leaders,and ppl those that were sabotaging or sympathizing,Jona, past presidents, media, service chiefs etc one way or the other, will facing the consequences of our actions and inactions and will still face till God knows when. Let's work together to cut the days and consequences short.

And lastly, for Buhari(or whosoever) to try to simplify the causes for the dragging of this war against BH to Jona and corruption, is to either be totally oblivious of reality or to simply be mischievous. And I'm still wondering why no one has asked him what he meant by fighting Boko haram is fight the north; why no one has asked him if he'll treat them like Niger Delta militants were treated i.e by giving Amnesty as he went about admonishing Jona months back.

Posts like these should be the ones getting 400 likes and not those sai Buhari and #ihavedecided none sense we see here everyday. Kudos to you bro, you have spoken well.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Dewze(m): 8:26pm On Feb 13, 2015
Their citizens litter the streets of Lagos begging for alms, and they have the guts to insult our soldiers.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by synergycom19: 8:32pm On Feb 13, 2015
They will soon take parts of the country to themselves
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by cirmuell(m): 8:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
cooljude:
They can still ammend the relationship, it happens, have you forgot what we learnt from wikileaks on how diplomats insult themselves. I think Nigeria should let them understand that we all want thesame thing which is stabilzation of that region. Promising them that we would stand in their support if anything happens.
I hope so.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Reference(m): 8:45pm On Feb 13, 2015
Boss13:
A shame to the Nigerian army. I feel highly insulted by the comments of the Nigerien, but they only said the truth. We actually do not need a multi-national troop to curtail the insurgence, if only the Nigerian army had provided the right equipment and morale for the soldiers. I can feel Gen. Olukolade feels insulted and I am also glad. The issue of boko haram was politicised now the cock has come home to roost. Our image in foreign affairs, especially in Africa, just hits the rocks. We used to be admired, now we are laughed at and now mocked.

Anyone under duress will get an abundance of mockery. That is not new. When you eventually succeed you become the cynosure of all eyes. When we were gripped with the scourge of ebola we were mocked in the west and even fellow Africans joined in. When we succeeded we became the cynosure of all eyes. Same with this fundamentalist scourge. We may be slow on the uptake but we will be the first once again to put this monster down and it will be the military taking the credit just like our doctors.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by TBrownAuto(m): 8:51pm On Feb 13, 2015
[quote author=tomber post=30699320]

I hope this is not true. We need more and more cooperation. In fact, we need "a united voice" that the best of weapons. If Nigeria fails today, France can't save Niger, Chad or Cameroon, they'll all fail too.

The U.S military trained Iraqi Army, sold and gave to them the best of weapons. Guess what happened when ISIS came? They almost took over the country in a few weeks. The US Army had to come in, along side their friends, with the best of fighter jets to help dislodge ISIS. Guess what? After all the billions spent and the thousands of air strikes against ISIS, they are yet to be dislodged.
The US and it allies spent over a trillion dollar in Afghan but couldn't win the Taliban.

Let's give NA a chance. We can't keep insulting then and hope they'll wanna die for us. We should know that salary and allowances are not enough motivation for soldiers in a real war but patriotism. This is not peace keeping, neither is it really a conventional war. Let not worsen their state of their morals with our posts, the service chiefs included. Niger and co should stop joining the west to score cheap points out of our predicament.

In the past, northern leaders especially-and Buhari inclusive- were directly or indirectly motivating those boys, and to the contrary demoralizing the NA. Some others that could help didn't help, cos of political interests; while some were for religious reasons, sympathetic to the course of boko. Now things have gone out of hand and we're facing the consequences. Everyone of us, including the Northern leaders,and ppl those that were sabotaging or sympathizing,Jona, past presidents, media, service chiefs etc one way or the other, will facing the consequences of our actions and inactions and will still face till God knows when. Let's work together to cut the days and consequences short.

And lastly, for Buhari(or whosoever) to try to simplify the causes for the dragging of this war against BH to Jona and corruption, is to either be totally oblivious of reality or to simply be mischievous. And I'm still wondering why no one has asked him what he meant by fighting Boko haram is fight the north; why no one has asked him if he'll treat them like Niger Delta militants were treated i.e by giving Amnesty as he went about admonishing Jona months back.[/quote You are stupid now have seen stupicd person amazing]
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by infofta(m): 9:05pm On Feb 13, 2015
President Goodluck is a failed president. He is taking the country backward. Commander in chief of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Fourwinds: 9:07pm On Feb 13, 2015
Chris Olukolade should cover his eyes in shame. is like Israel asking USA to help defeat Hamas in deir home soil. with d vast human and natural resources at our desposer., are we suppose to beg Chad., Niger and Co to help fight BH.?
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by tosinbabe(f): 9:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
Pot bellied, armchair twitter general! Why won't poor Niger ridicule our army, see what they have been reduced to.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by billyG(m): 9:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
NA disgracing naija since 1960....,dey hav 2 appologise 2 niger & chad armies,if them leave d coalition,we are in deep shit,it is when a servant shave a king that he has d oppurtunity 2 knock(konk) his coconut head. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by billyG(m): 9:41pm On Feb 13, 2015
NA disgracing naija since 1960....,dey hav 2 appologise 2 niger & chad armies,if them leave d coalition,we are in deep shit,it is when a servant shave a king that he has d oppurtunity 2 knock(konk) his coconut head. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin generals busy tweeting & facebooking in abuja instead of relocating 2 sambissa 2 bravely comfronting d ragtag BH that are invading d north-east like locusts frm d pit of hell.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by EmekaBlue(m): 10:10pm On Feb 13, 2015
d world of 2day...evrybody remembers only d dwn syd..like d same NA have not killed thousandof boko fighters so much and made sure they dnt xtend even pass maiduguri...Boko just making headlines but they r dieing in large numbers daily those shud b reported too,it wil help kill their sponsors morale....What d army did then was tactical retreat it is normal in any battle....
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Litmus: 1:11am On Feb 14, 2015
It surprises me that people are surprised that so-called coalition forces -lol, Coalition Forces grin grin (so, chad, Niger and Cameroon have forces too)- anyway it surprises me that folks are surprised that these eh, coalition forces are complicit in Bokoharam. I mean why, how? Look, save for that the Kanuri's are waging a war of succession, which they are not then Bokoharam are terrorists,obviously. Those that have studied the group have stated time and again that they draw their fighters from Chad and Cameroon - no doubt Niger too. Last year a report by some Western press interviewed young people from Chad that had joined Bokoharam for money and many more planing to join Bokohara. Another investigation revealed how Bokoharam did not recruit their fighters from Nigeria but Cameroon citing the inappropriateness of recruiting locally and the reluctance of young men in the north east of Nigeria to join Bokoharam. And since Bokoharam has grown, repeatedly in the North East of Nigeria, local people have reported that majority of Bokoharm fighters are foreign but the Nigerian press chose not to make more of these reports.

Bokoharam are majority from french West Africa nations and it looks as if Nigeria military has always known, which is why i always thought that Nigeria was somehow forced to include Chad, Niger and Cameroon in the fight. Bokoharam was/is loosing so they wanted intervention and it was either we included Chad, Niger and Cameroon or face the UN forced on us or worst Western Forces doing bombing runs in Nigeria instead of Cameroon, Niger and Chad where Bokoharm is tacitly supported. Nigeria is essentially boxed in by the West or some other force or combination of them.
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by Litmus: 1:19am On Feb 14, 2015
Who remembers this:

US officials and Afghan President Hamid Karzai believed UK forces were not up to the task of securing Helmand province on their own.

The president reportedly said he was relieved when US Marines were sent to the province.

The details have been published in the Guardian newspaper.

The number of British military deaths in operations in Afghanistan since 2001 currently stands at 345.

In one cable, a US general, Dan McNeill, was said to be "particularly dismayed by the British effort" in fighting the drugs trade in Afghanistan.

He is quoted as saying that British forces had "made a mess" of counter-narcotics operations in Helmand by employing the "wrong" tactics.

Criticism of the British military effort goes back to 2007 when Gen McNeill was in charge of Nato forces.

He criticised a deal with the Taliban which allowed British troops to be withdrawn from Musa Qala in 2006, saying it "opened the door to narco-traffickers in that area, and now it was impossible to tell the difference between the traffickers and the insurgents".'Not ready to fight'

A cable dated late 2008, from the US embassy, says "we and President Karzai agree that British forces are not up to the task of securing Helmand" without US support.

In another cable, the then Afghan Foreign Minister, Rangin Dadfar Spanta, expressed disappointment at the ordering of an extra 2,000 British soldiers to Helmand, saying: "They were not ready to fight as actively as American soldiers."

At a meeting with Senator John McCain in December 2008, President Karzai said he was relieved that US Marines were being sent to reinforce the British-led mission in Helmand and "related an anecdote in which a woman from Helmand asked him to 'take the British away and give us back the Americans'."

According to the Guardian, criticism of the British operation in Helmand centres on its failure to establish security in Sangin.

Helmand governor Gulab Mangal told a US team led by vice-president Joe Biden in January 2009 that American forces were urgently needed as British security in Sangin was inadequate.

He is reported to have said British troops "must leave their bases and engage with the people".

Former Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth told the BBC he could not understand why the leaked comments had been given such prominence.

He said: "Some of these cables... are understandably contradictory. There's an allegation that British troops didn't go out of their bases. Our losses in Sangin were almost entirely on patrols in about the most dangerous part of the world.

"This is gossip that was spilling out of an ongoing situation. It would be very surprising if people were not commenting on these different conversations that were going on, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously."

Col Stuart Tootal, former commander of 3 Para, the first battle group sent to Helmand province, said the documents were not particularly relevant.

He said: "They reflected individual views, within an alliance, which were also about a period where there were challenges due to a lack of resources.

"We've now moved on significantly, we've now got 10,000 British troops, 30,000 Nato troops, and Nato has turned the corner.

"But I think you'll also find these are views of people who aren't actually fighting in Helmand themselves, and don't necessarily realise the challenges they face."

Responding to the latest leaks, a Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "UK forces did an excellent job in Sangin, an area which has always been and continues to be uniquely challenging, delivering progress by increasing security and taking the fight to the insurgency.

"That work is now being continued by the US Marines as part of a hugely increased Isaf (Nato-led International Security Assistance Force) presence across the whole of Helmand province.

"Both Afghan leaders, including the governor of Sangin, and the US Marines have publicly recognised and paid tribute to the sacrifice and achievements of the UK forces in that area."

A Pentagon spokesman said the contribution and sacrifice of UK troops during the war in Afghanistan were "certainly recognised and appreciated" in the US.

"Marine commanders on the ground in Afghanistan have publicly recognised that British forces did an excellent job in Sangin, an area which has been and continues to be uniquely challenging," he said.

Meanwhile, former Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon revealed he had written a paper at the time of the Helmand deployment - which took place under his successor John Reid - raising concerns about the manpower available for the operation.

Mr Hoon told the Times that his paper "basically said that we could do this, but only once we had drawn down significant numbers in Iraq".
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by BetaThings: 3:01am On Feb 14, 2015
tomber:

Let's give NA a chance. We can't keep insulting then and hope they'll wanna die for us. We should know that salary and allowances are not enough motivation for soldiers in a real war but patriotism.

And lastly, for Buhari(or whosoever) to try to simplify the causes for the dragging of this war against BH to Jona and corruption, is to either be totally oblivious of reality or to simply be mischievous. And I'm still wondering why no one has asked him what he meant by fighting Boko haram is fight the north; why no one has asked him if he'll treat them like Niger Delta militants were treated i.e by giving Amnesty as he went about admonishing Jona months back.

Stop this campaign of ignorance and calumny
The iraqi Army did not run from ISIS
Iraqi is riven by sectarian issues - the Shia alienated both the Kurds and the Sunnis
When ISIS got to the Sunni territory, the soldiers - mostly sunnis and the people - did not fight them
When they got to Shia areas, they were stopped

If Buhari was motivating Boko Haram, what did Jonathan do?
You guys just lie all day and night in order to make an incompetent president look good

Sambo Dasuki has said that Nigerian soldiers are cowards - was he wrong?
His predecessor - Azazi - said Boko Haram was the product of PDP power struggle - was he ignorant?
Okupe said Boko Haram was better motivated than the Nigerian Army - was he unpatriotic

Tell Jonathan the truth, there would always be challenges in a war because it is a serious contest
Blaming innocents because your incompetent and uncaring man wants to win an election is DISHONEST
At least let us HAVE EVIDENCE of culpability

War is not won by faceless posts

BTW - where is Maina?
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by blaqoracle: 8:30am On Feb 14, 2015
tbaba1234:

Very unprofessional,

http://twitter.com/GENOlukolade

You can read for yourself.
if this jonathan leadership is the kind of leadership that igbos can offer,thank God they never succeeded with their devilish biafran
Re: Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH by skyra: 10:18am On Feb 14, 2015
aanumama:
The Nigeriens are right to some extent, but I wouldn't blame the Nigerian soldier for running,
if na my brother nko??
I wouldn't tell him to face BH when it's obvious they have more sophisticated weapon.
FG/NA. SHOULD SHUT THEIR BLOODY TRAPS AND LET THE BATTLE TO BE WON FIRST.
BH do not have more sophisticated weapons, they are ready and drugged to die (motivation?) That's the difference

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Signs Bill Conferring Immunity On Lawmakers / VAT: North Is Rich, Can Live Without Billions Accruing To Southern States —NEF / Nigeria's Largest Onshore Oil Well Discovered In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.