Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:38 AM

Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. (27056 Views)

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? / How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by 360crest(m): 11:00am On Feb 16, 2015
Manual Cars are stressfull jawe ....

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by r33d(m): 11:01am On Feb 16, 2015
The difference is based on what you want from your car. Personally, I like a manual transmission because, I get to control the car. My experience with an AUTO transmission just didn't make me feel the control. Maybe, it was because I learnt with a manual transmision car.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Bright2(m): 11:02am On Feb 16, 2015
Picture or ! You know naa wink wink
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by 702: 11:09am On Feb 16, 2015
A stick shift car can be a blast to drive, especially for those who have plenty of experience with controlling manual transmissions. Nevertheless, there are plenty of other good reasons for having shift sticks around:

• Manual transmissions are usually easier to maintain than their automatic counterparts. For starters, most manual transmissions tend to be less complex than automatics, meaning that fewer things go wrong in the first place. The only repair item frequently seen on most stick shifts is the clutch and that component usually doesn’t require changing for hundreds of thousands of miles, under ideal conditions.

• Manual transmissions use gear oil or engine oil, in most cases. Unlike automatic transmission fluid (ATF), it doesn’t deteriorate as quickly over time and it doesn’t need frequent changes. Some manufacturers even suggest that manual transmission fluids don’t need changing unless there’s a leak or after a repair’s been completed.

• Fuel economy is usually much better in stick shift-equipped cars. Parasitic power losses from the torque converter and hydraulic pump can rob an automatic-equipped car of a small percentage of its power, along with its fuel efficiency. Depending on driving style and road conditions, drivers can increase their fuel economy by as much as 15 percent.

• Driving a stick shift car gives you a better sense of control over your vehicle. Without the torque converter constantly pushing you forward, you’ll have an easier time with braking. You’ll also have a much easier time with engine braking or using the momentum of the engine itself to slow yourself down.

• Stick shift cars are usually cheaper when brand-new than their automatic counterparts, especially on the lower end of the automobile market.

Of course, there are few disadvantages to owning a stick shift car, as well:

• Learning how to operate a stick shift comes with a pretty steep learning curve. Newcomers can expect to jerk, buck, stall and miss shifts as they figure out the clutch, shift timing and other basics.

• Unlike in an automatic, starting off on a hill ranges from being slightly inconvenient to being absolutely terrifying, depending on your driving skill. Many drivers have rolled back into traffic or stalled out after trying (and failing) to pull away from a hill.

• Depressing the clutch pedal is a way of life in stick shift cars, but the experience can be a bit more painful in cars with heavy clutch pedal feedback. Over time, it can definitely mess with your left leg, especially at the joints.

It takes time, patience and effort to learn the joys of stick shift driving. If you’re looking at a six-speed manual sedan or coupe for your next vehicle, you can weigh these pros and cons to see if you’re ready to take the plunge.

cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 16, 2015
Guys talk...just wanna contribute...I drive both auto and manual, funny though; I kinda feel the manual than the auto!

4 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by 9jatatafo(m): 11:10am On Feb 16, 2015
laivwire:

Your opinion. Manual can be an issue during traffic hold ups but I think it's also the same with auto. While driving an auto trans, I always shift to neutral and pull the hand brakes on a complete stop. With manual, I simply clutch down and depress the brakes or I switch to neutral and pull the emergency brake. Same thing though but I submit to manual when on the highway. It's a two way thing

When drive an auto stick car, there is no point you shifting your gear stick from D to N, just leave on D and depress your brake when in traffic. For me I don't subscribe to manual anymore.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Edusouls(m): 11:11am On Feb 16, 2015
brother there one very efficient gear,very reliable gear, a transmission chosen by proffessional drivers since almost 120 years of cars innovation, and that is the manual gear, and since 8 years of driving i stick with manual,and will with manual for life...
ogawisdom:
Manual gear cars in 2015 lipsrsealed

Ejighi afufu anya isi grin

Manual gear is outdated though cheaper to buy. We ve more stress to deal wit in naija can't make manual drivin in traffic one of them

I hope manual gear fans dnt attack me for this

grin

I can't accept a manual car even if it is for free lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by greaterlove(m): 11:11am On Feb 16, 2015
Ikenna351:

The new Peugeot RCZ R comes only with 6-speed manual transmission, with output of 270 hp. I mean brand new, produced yesterday, today and to be produced tomorrow.

The brand new 508 launched late last year, 2014, has 6-speed manual transmission as well.

For you to state authoritatively that Auto tranny is an upgrade to manual tranny is very wrong please. Peugeot 404 in the '50s had 3-speed Auto trannies. Next time, ask. Don't assume.

Auto tranny and manual tranny is upgraded or improved on in parallel. As Auto tranny is been improved on since the '40s & '50s, likewise, the manual boxes are not left out. From 3-speed to 4-speed, 6-speed, Porsche tiptronic and the rest on auto trannies, likewise manual trannies have gone from 4 sp, 5 sp, 6-sp, from solid to DMF, etc. If I may ask, have you ever driven a new Peugeot with manual tranny? Can you compare it to the older manual transmissions in older lions?

Its your personal opinion, not a fact and you were wrong. If you had driven a Peugeot 504 & 505 with ZF 3-speed Auto transmissions, you would have known that Auto transmissions have gone a long way in Improvement compared to new Auto trannies in newer Lions like the AM6s. Likewise, a test drive of new Lion with manual tranny and old manual tranny will teach you a lot.

Ikenna

Ikenna has spoken. Happy newyear bros.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by kudsweet(f): 11:12am On Feb 16, 2015
Automatic is still the best any day anytime, the world is moving forward so shall I with my Tiny light camry.

4 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by akpanikpe(m): 11:13am On Feb 16, 2015
ogawisdom:

Manual gear is outdated though cheaper to buy. We ve more stress to deal wit in naija can't make manual drivin in traffic one of them

grin

bros I control what I drive, not wat I drive controlling me, I Jst pray u never have gear problem on a lonely high way wen driving an auto car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 11:17am On Feb 16, 2015
I really do not like Auto cause the feel of not being incharge is not there. ANY day any time MANUAL rocks.
I still wonder why most racing cars are built to use MANUAL transmission.

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Edusouls(m): 11:18am On Feb 16, 2015
amateur drivers, women, and handicapped people just preffer automatic cos is much easier to drive, proffessional drivers, men, daredevil drivers, road kings like us go with the transmission of choice since 80 years,the undefeatable manual..
ogawisdom:

Dts my opinion bro
Auto transmission ws made as an upgrade to manual tranny n also to make driving easier n more pleasurable. Ok d definition of pleasurable driving is individual specific n to me taking away clutch control n always shifting gears wen I am driving is an unbelievable advancement in automobile industry.
Driving a manual car lol thank you an nt interested undecided its a matter of personal preference

4 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by caesaraba(m): 11:20am On Feb 16, 2015
Funny, I've never driven an auto. No complains with manual trans.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by InZA: 11:20am On Feb 16, 2015
I miss the manual experience embarassed

It's just that in a place like lagos, if you want to be driving a manual car you will end up having leg cramps

5 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ribbit: 11:23am On Feb 16, 2015
manual car on highway is awesome since you are in total control, but in traffic, you left leg will sing haleluyah after pressing the clutch like every minutes.

4 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ruggedtimi(m): 11:32am On Feb 16, 2015
I drive both...have been drivng more of automatic recently. Automatic makes driving easy for u and u can accelerate easier but the manual picks faster. becarefull with the automatic brake it is veri sharp unlike the manual brake that wrks well wit d clutch. Gals like an automatic ride

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by hermesprogidy(m): 11:32am On Feb 16, 2015
Manual gear cars is just sufferhead. Automatic gear anyday for me smiley smiley
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 16, 2015
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=30734851]Please ensure you are certified a good driver b4 hitting the streets.

Do not use your left foot to step on the brakes, it is a bad habit.

Congratulations.

please i would like to know why steeping on the brake with the left foot is wrong because i actually step on it with my left foot, i tried using my right foot but it wasn't comfortable.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by hermesprogidy(m): 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
How is it better if you have a gear problem with a manual car?
akpanikpe:

bros I control what I drive, not wat I drive controlling me, I Jst pray u never have gear problem on a lonely high way wen driving an auto car.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Rhozabeth(m): 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
If u can drive only automatic cars believe me u don't know how to drive! From what u wrote so far, your instructor is good what u need is a few days/weeks of mor lessons and you will be good to go! Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
Stick shift cars are everything!
The gear transmission...
Speed...
Fuel economy...
Safer...(nobody go like thief your car wink)
Focus... etc

Only intelligent people can drive themtongue. Yeayea, bc it requires allotta focus and calculation. wink

If your automatic packs up in traffic, just forget it. Chook grass for the glass and go home. grin
Though I must confess, automatic makes life easier. grin

6 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Edusouls(m): 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
the transmission of choice for pro drivers and road kings since 80 years, the gear that unleashes the beast in the car and driver, the transmission preffered in super cars and speed demons like the popular lamborghini, muscle sport sedans, audi spyder's, corvettes, mustangs, vipers and the demonic cobra's cars, just the manual..autos were made for women, handicapped, the amateurs, and paranoid drivers, it easily packs up, and with the auto's you are never fully in control like the manuals, am a road king for 8years now, i stick with the manual anytime, anyday, anywhere,cos it the gears for real drivers...

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by hotice01: 11:34am On Feb 16, 2015
its a simple issue....
if you want comfort and pleasurable driving then go for Auto-transmission. good for intra city movement.
if you like speed,action,full control and precision then go for manual transmission.excellent for inter city highways.
Its my opinion though.I love both but when I'm in the mood for control I opt for manual,especially on smooth roads.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Rhozabeth(m): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2015
akpanikpe:

Simple, they pick faster after transmission!
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by idupaul: 11:41am On Feb 16, 2015
ogawisdom:

grin

You are clearly a village man .. Any true car enthusiast will always tell you auto aint gat nothing on Manual shift .. Manual is for for people who know what driving is all about while auto is for people who just need to move a vehicle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by shegzy23: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2015
manual is the best to lean how to drive, the question is which one is good to lean? not all about dis argument
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:52am On Feb 16, 2015
Binb:

Why do you think he needs to learn to drive a manual car in this age. Do you honestly think the world would go back to manual car. Would you advise somebody to learn how to use a cassette before he learns how to use a CD or DVD? Think

thats were you are lost manuals are not outdated even cars that are manufactured in just for europe market are manual

nigerians you are confused on basic that americans prefer automatics and most of your new and used car in nigeria are from america and are automatic, therefore YOU think the rest of the world is moving to automatics , NO

Like i said before most car in europe are manual, here in UK most people learn to drive with manual, thats the sort of natural way to drive and also by law if a driving licence is for an automatic car, you are not allowed to drive a manual car

but if your licence is for a manual car, you can drive a automatic (it doesnt take 3 mins for a manual driver to master how to drive an automatic) the only thing i noticed is that you generally brake hard

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by stagger: 11:52am On Feb 16, 2015
gmaribel:
I bought my first car a few days ago (Automatic Transmission) and right from day one I have been driving it within and around the estate where I reside. I have never taken the car out on the highway before.

I then wanted to perfect my skills as a driver so I called on a friend who drives a manual car to teach me. When he arrived I went to get the keys of my car but he said no! you are not using that car you will use my own car to learn.

I got into the car apprehensive and started it after setting the gear to neutral and then on his instruction I depressed the clutch fully, put the car in gear one and was told to press the accelerator gently while i gently lifted my leg from the clutch. The car moved but just as I was getting comfortable I was told to change to gear two....... as I was fumbling with the gear not knowing which is gear two I had to brake but then my instructor told me because I had come to a full stop I had to start from gear one again.

I got to a small hill and somehow the car stopped just as i was climbing it the car stopped again. When I started it with my legs on the clutch and brake, my instructor told me to immediately place my leg on the accelrator and move but what I saw was the car moving backwards............... in short after 45mins of driving I saw that the difference between an automatic car and a manual or stick-shift car is as great as day and night.

Mr man, go and learn how to drive from scratch. I learnt with a manual stick and I drove manual sticks for 15 years before I got my first automatic stick. Right now, my wife uses the 2 automatic sticks while I use the only manual stick in the house. There are things I can do with a manual stick which you cannot get with an automatic stick.

Why do you think F1 and motor rally cars are made with manual sticks?

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by sorextee(m): 11:58am On Feb 16, 2015
Manual still the best. Though it becomes tiring, especially when driving on a long journey. U can't "push to start" an auto. Auto gear box dey quick get issues, over manual. Automatic transmissions need regular fluid changes and are vulnerable to fluid leaks which can be very destructive. Many manual transmissions do not require any regular maintenance whatsoever. Repairs are usually more costly on automatics.
In general, manuals have better acceleration and quarter mile times than automatics.
Automatics are boring as hell to drive. Manuals are fun as hell to drive.
CAR na car anyway. Congrats..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria / The USSV Rhino XT Is A Luxury SUV Built For The Streets / 2019 Range Rover Sport Get Some New Modifications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.