Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,286 members, 7,957,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:42 PM

Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. (27057 Views)

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? / How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / My Experience Checking Out Innoson Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Franchise21(m): 11:58am On Feb 16, 2015
vanndubi:

Ur instructor is a bad one! How can he tell u to immediately remove ur left foot from the clutch pedal u throttle It doesn't work it that.

The clutching system of both manual and automatic gear system works on the same principle. For automatic, when you have ur right foot on the brake pedal and engage the gear, you will feel the vibration. This signals that the gear is engaged n u can throttle without the car rolling back.

And for the manual, u clutch down u engage gear 1. Then gently release the clutch n at point while you're releasing the clutch gently, you'll feel the vibration. Hold the clutch at that level and simply,(without rush) press the accelerator pedal and the car moves without rolling back even in an uphill slope.

Before I forget, Congrats on ur new car wink
It doesn't work like dat... D car stopped on a hilly ground... D instructor z correct
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by sorextee(m): 11:59am On Feb 16, 2015
For saying this, u re very correct..
idupaul:

You are clearly a village man .. Any true car enthusiast will always tell you auto aint gat nothing on Manual shift .. Manual is for for people who know what driving is all about while auto is for people who just need to move a vehicle
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by abatically(m): 12:05pm On Feb 16, 2015
ibrodex:
I really do not like Auto cause the feel of not being incharge is not there. ANY day any time MANUAL rocks.
I still wonder why most racing cars are built to use MANUAL transmission.

Track racing cars are built with manual, but most street racing cars come with automatic these days and they perform more than manual. So unless u want to tell me ur driving on a track, I see no point in this. Even a Bugatti veyron comes with automatic.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Please ensure you are certified a good driver b4 hitting the streets.

Do not use your left foot to step on the brakes, it is a bad habit.

Congratulations.
left foot on the brake isn't a bad habit,instead that's what they assumed it to be...(Automatic ones)
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Sunymoore(m): 12:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
I drive both! But mehn correct automatic can give you heavenly feelings.... Imagine driving at 120km/h and suddenly depressing the 'pedal' to metal, at that moment the car will down shift to gear 3 and you'll feel as if you press a turbo button, watching the accelerometer rising to to 5-6 RPM/minute. ... *imagine that feeling*
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by abatically(m): 12:17pm On Feb 16, 2015
Doxie69:

left foot on the brake isn't a bad habit,instead that's what they assumed it to be...(Automatic ones)

If u try left foot braking in a driving test u will never get a license. The idea is to make sure ur foot is off the throttle before stepping on the brake. Using left foot to brake contradicts that as u might end up stepping on the brake and throttle at the same time. It is a bad practice ro use left foot on the brake, the right foot should adapt the the amount of force required to depress both.

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Oluschenco(m): 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2015
I don't wish to drive a manual car (although i have a little experience).
The difference between the two is like Java (manual) vs Android (automatic) phones.
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 16, 2015
Anyone who cannot drive a manual is not a driver.

3 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 16, 2015
akpanikpe:

bros I control what I drive, not wat I drive controlling me, I Jst pray u never have gear problem on a lonely high way wen driving an auto car.

Tell them cos we will not tow them grin
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 16, 2015
ibrodex:
I really do not like Auto cause the feel of not being incharge is not there. ANY day any time MANUAL rocks.
I still wonder why most racing cars are built to use MANUAL transmission.

I'm with you. You just can't sleep on the steering with manual.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by akpanikpe(m): 12:28pm On Feb 16, 2015
hermesprogidy:
How is it better if you have a gear problem with a manual car?
if u had a gear problem wit a manual there is no way the whole 5/6 gears will be condemned, at least u will av one or two among or even the reverse that will take u somewhere safe or the the engineering work shop for fixing, but in the other way, auto cannot, once the gear had problem not even the reverse will function cos it is electrically programmed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by nke001: 12:29pm On Feb 16, 2015
gmaribel:
I bought my first car a few days ago (Automatic Transmission) and right from day one I have been driving it within and around the estate where I reside. I have never taken the car out on the highway before.

I then wanted to perfect my skills as a driver so I called on a friend who drives a manual car to teach me. When he arrived I went to get the keys of my car but he said no! you are not using that car you will use my own car to learn.

I got into the car apprehensive and started it after setting the gear to neutral and then on his instruction I depressed the clutch fully, put the car in gear one and was told to press the accelerator gently while i gently lifted my leg from the clutch. The car moved but just as I was getting comfortable I was told to change to gear two....... as I was fumbling with the gear not knowing which is gear two I had to brake but then my instructor told me because I had come to a full stop I had to start from gear one again.

I got to a small hill and somehow the car stopped just as i was climbing it the car stopped again. When I started it with my legs on the clutch and brake, my instructor told me to immediately place my leg on the accelrator and move but what I saw was the car moving backwards............... in short after 45mins of driving I saw that the difference between an automatic car and a manual or stick-shift car is as great as day and night.

The difference is clear!
grin
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by adanduka: 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
Since your car is automatic, I'll advise you to focus on your car. Leave out manual for now. When you're extremely comfortable with your car, then you can learn how to drive manual.
Imagine learning how to use those outdated telephones with circles when you have an android phone and will be using it.
My two cents.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
Lagusta:

Auto transmission was NEVER an upgrade to manual transmission...

The semiautomatic (aka tiptronic, steptronic or 7G-tronic as some brands call it) is the upgrade you are talking about...

Autos have been available for a long time, looks like you haven't seen a Peugeot 504 with an auto tranny, not the PAN assembled ones but that imported from Europe...

Even some older cars have auto tranny, and very new cars that have the manual tranny, some even clutchless,

So what is this one saying again
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by abatically(m): 12:38pm On Feb 16, 2015
akpanikpe:

if u had a gear problem wit a manual there is no way the whole 5/6 gears will be condemned, at least u will av one or two among or even the reverse that will take u somewhere safe or the the engineering work shop for fixing, but in the other way, auto cannot, once the gear had problem not even the reverse will function cos it is electrically programmed.

Bros, if u drop a Nokia 3310, there are very high chances the phone would survive with just a few scratches. But if u drop an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy phone, chances are the screen will shatter and would cost a lot of money to fix. So are u saying we should all be using a Nokia 3310 because it is more durable?
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by vicechopsticksz(m): 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2015
i can prove for sure dat if u know to drive a stick shift.....den u can consider urself a certified driver
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by vanndubi: 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2015
Franchise21:
It doesn't work like dat... D car stopped on a hilly ground... D instructor z correct

I know what I'm talking about. I drove manual transmission for almost 2 years and I enjoyed driving it. I drove it almost like it was automatic transmission.

Maybe I omitted something undecided. When you clutch down, press down the brake too before engaging the gear 1. Start releasing the clutch gently to the point you start feeling the vibration. Hold the clutch at that level and start releasing the brake (without even pressing the throttle, the car will start moving as if you are releasing the brake of automatic car)

When you remove your right foot from the brake pedal and throttle, remove your left foot from the clutch pedal (It is not a good practice to clutch and throttle at the same time - coasting). Try it again and thank me later wink
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by vicechopsticksz(m): 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2015
i can prove for sure dat if u know to drive a stick shift.....den u can consider urself a certified driver...nd u cant even race a manual car wif auto....d manual will beat u hands down....+ plus i love manual cuz u can show ur madness within 5mins..hw bour dat?? smiley wink
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2015
abatically:

If u try left foot braking in a driving test u will never get a license. The idea is to make sure ur foot is off the throttle before stepping on the brake. Using left foot to brake contradicts that as u might end up stepping on the brake and throttle at the same time. It is a bad practice ro use left foot on the brake, the right foot should adapt the the amount of force required to depress both.
All you said above I know,I use left for brake even in the highway...nothing happens because you control the action you want to execute
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by hermesprogidy(m): 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
I beg to disagree, I currently have a car with an automatic gear that can't seem to go beyond gear 3. The gear experts said some fibres are burnt and all that. undecided undecided
akpanikpe:

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by ooshinibos: 12:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
in the next five years there will be no manual gear box ..Automatics is the way forward
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by bobchigar(m): 12:58pm On Feb 16, 2015
It unbelievable that as simple to drive automatic cars are, imagine many people don't drive it appropriately, they use their both legs to drive it.

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by femi4: 1:01pm On Feb 16, 2015
laivwire:

Your opinion. Manual can be an issue during traffic hold ups but I think it's also the same with auto. While driving an auto trans, I always shift to neutral and pull the hand brakes on a complete stop. With manual, I simply clutch down and depress the brakes or I switch to neutral and pull the emergency brake. Same thing though but I submit to manual when on the highway. It's a two way thing
You don't need to shift to N in traffic if you are driving auto

There is no pleasure in driving with both legs and shifting gears every now and then. Thank God I saw the invention of auto trans
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
A good driver must know how to drive a manual car .....

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by UncleJudax(m): 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
InZA:
I miss the manual experience embarassed

It's just that in a place like lagos, if you want to be driving a manual car you will end up having leg cramps
Spot on! Lagos...antiManual

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by UncleJudax(m): 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2015
ooshinibos:
in the next five years there will be no manual gear box ..Automatics is the way forward
Authoritatively speaking?
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by sympathy55(m): 1:19pm On Feb 16, 2015
why nigerians like to dey surfa sef. see as people dey choose manual as if they are enjoying it. na surfa be dat o. auto is the best because you dont need stress urself changing all those rubish called gears and truttle. you have to free urselfs and also smile wen driving.lol
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2015
Having driven cars for the last decade, I can say theres a big difference between the manual and auto.
Auto brings convenience to driving, and is suitable if you encounter traffic holdups around your area, its also suitable if you are physically impaired (missing one of your legs or arms) as you don't need a pair of legs or arm to drive the auto. However interms of maintenance , the manual is more affordable to maintain and is practically problem free, as there are fewer electronics and components to deal with.
Once you 've mastered how to drive the manual , you discover thats its fun and puts you more in control of the car than the auto.
Lets face it, you just cant leave the decisions of gear selection to some computer, especially in our naija roads that are fast becoming a battle field.
These are my views of both transmissions i prefer the manual over the auto , and even if you want to get an auto, i would recommend that you train with the manual , to get the double advantage of knowing hoe to drive both. i ve heard of people who have been driving autos for more than 20 years suddenly becoming helpless when they encounter manual.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by kayjegs: 1:40pm On Feb 16, 2015
For most part of Europe and especially Germany who manufactures the best brands of cars, manual transmission is what you see everywhere. Auto transmission is a North American thing. Its not a Java to an android thing like people are saying here. From my personal experience, the best car drivers are the Europeans based on what I see on their roads compared to North America where I stay now. Most recent cars in Nigeria are auto transmission so even if you buy one, I will advice that you learn driving with manual and will give you an overall advantage because it will be easy to drive an auto if you can drive a manual not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
ooshinibos:
I strongly disagree with you on this. the number of manual equipped vehicles will reduce but they are not disappearing anytime soon. there r some cars that come with a manual transmission only Eg: the dodge viper.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by litetias(m): 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2015
I love the thrill of stick shift
Re: Automatic Vs Manual My Experience. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
drive a 406 manual tranny with a a lot of german juice beneath it's hood and your life will change forever!......i'm also a very spontaneous person!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The USSV Rhino XT Is A Luxury SUV Built For The Streets / How To Obtain A Driving Learner's Permit In Nigeria / 2019 Range Rover Sport Get Some New Modifications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.