Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,408 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Happy Valentine From Me To All - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Happy Valentine From Me To All (13101 Views)

Wishing Family Section Nairalanders A Happy Valentine! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2015
SirShymexx:
Justfollowit,

I see you're slowly but surely turning into into an Islam fanatic. tongue

Come in here, let me see what you know about the history of Islam.

So you are still alive shocked

Where have you been all this while?

I know religion well enough to school you.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 8:37pm On Feb 18, 2015
Justfollowit:

So you are still alive shocked

Where have you been all this while?

I know religion well enough to school you.

Lol. I'm trying to learn from you, Missus.

Hence I said you should educate me. tongue Just Islam, though.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 6:13am On Feb 19, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. You get "born again" then do what you can't run away from, which commit sin, then it's back to square one...and another "born again" process. And you keep doing that over and over again. Redundancy. I understand what's it's about in Pentecostalism - just want to show you how redundant it's. That's why traditional Churches which laid the foundation for Christianity are different - they don't do the redundant "born again" thing. Anyway, this is part of the extras I was alluding to. grin
Err, what's the difference between "giving their lives back to Christ" and being "born again"? Aren't both basically the same thing? Bear in mind that you're talking to a guy with some knowledge of theology - someone who got baptised and used to be a worker in the teenagers/Children's classes. grin

But thats the essence of Christ's death and resurrection. That when one commits sin, one can easily ask for forgiveness. Being born again is a term some Churches use, which just means that One has accepted Christ as their Lord and saviour for the first time. Anything after that is rededication of soul Or asking for forgiveness of Sins. The prayers involved in these three process are different (You should know that)
I dont buy into the "born againsm" stuff at all. I think it is a tag that puts so much pressure on Christian. But then some people cant function without tags like that, thats what gives them their own identity.
And it is a expected for a Christian to stay away from Sins. Although its a gradual process, but it gets easier with time. Question now is, can one stay completely away from sins? No its not possible. But one can stay away from deliberate sin and there can be reduction in the rate of sins committed

Jesus Christ was a supernatural being in human flesh according to the Bible. The reality is that no one can be like him - you can only emulate certain morals he preached about. You can't even be like the next person cos we're all different. That's the reality. And no matter how sanctimonious and/or holier-than-thou you act, it's impossible to go for 24hours without committing a sin.
Exactly my point. But the amount of sins committed can be reduced, especially the premeditated ones.

Anyway, I'll leave it there...just showing you that a lot of things don't add up, hence all the Pastors who have mastered the religion exploit gullible folks cos they know they won't pay for anything - no repercussions whatsoever. And wherever there's no repercussions, anything goes. I don't even care about them - I just want to see them give back to the communities they keep exploiting to enrich themselves.
The Bible says "my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" When people can't pick up the Bible and study themselves, but rely on the almighty Pastors, to interpret the Bible for them, that is what u get. Basically my Christian journey is about me and my God. I just don't follow Pastors like "a sheep being led to the slaughter".
what church did you used to belong to?

Lol. Only a robot acts one way, or fake people cos they're acting a script...hence they're always predictable. And this is the internet where you just post based on whatever mood you're in, and the energy you receive - so it's normal to always see different shades from real people. My life is a mystery and I'm the most complicated nyggah you'll ever meet - the realness. grin
Well whatever floats your boat Mr. Mysterious and complicated. tonguetonguetongue gringringrin All I know is you got some high level crazy going on. One moment, u are cool with someone, the next, you are butchering them with words . But then everyone has a "bįtch switch".
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 1:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
DollyParton1:

But thats the essence of Christ's death and resurrection. That when one commits sin, one can easily ask for forgiveness. Being born again is a term some Churches use, which just means that One has accepted Christ as their Lord and saviour for the first time. Anything after that is rededication of soul Or asking for forgiveness of Sins. The prayers involved in these three process are different (You should know that)
I dont buy into the "born againsm" stuff at all. I think it is a tag that puts so much pressure on Christian. But then some people cant function without tags like that, thats what gives them their own identity.
And it is a expected for a Christian to stay away from Sins. Although its a gradual process, but it gets easier with time. Question now is, can one stay completely away from sins? No its not possible. But one can stay away from deliberate sin and there can be reduction in the rate of sins committed

I hear that...through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. The I'm that I'm, ancient of days, Lion of the tribe of Judah, my sanctuary, and the author and finisher of my faith. He's my fortress and I'm forever going to hold on to his hands. And by his grace and glory, no weapon fashioned against me shall prosper. Amen! cool tongue Church!!

But one thing, though - as long as you believe in the teachings of Christ and the most high, you should termed as "born again" not just wingnuts and sanctimonious folks - since no one can completely stay away from sins. Imperfections that makes us human, and how mundane our existence is.

Exactly my point. But the amount of sins committed can be reduced, especially the premeditated ones.

Reducing premeditated sins a person commits has more to do with responsibilities (setting standards), morals, and maturity - and you don't actually need to be "born again" to achieve that.

Then you have got the society/societal-standards where good or bad is dependent on mentality. For example: if you look at it critically, there's basically no difference between a thief and someone working on Wall Street, or a gambler and someone working as a stock broker. For thief vs bankster on Wall Street - they steal from people. And with gambler and stock broker, they both play a game of chance and take risks to gain advantage. So, what moral rights do we have as humans to quantify sins, or ascertain good vs. bad - since most times they're two sides to the same coin?

The Bible says "my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" When people can't pick up the Bible and study themselves, but rely on the almighty Pastors, to interpret the Bible for them, that is what u get. Basically my Christian journey is about me and my God. I just don't follow Pastors like "a sheep being led to the slaughter".
what church did you used to belong to?

I was raised in Redeemed Church in South Ldn...been to the thing they do at ExCeL a few times (everyone in my fam are still members). Changed to some Ghanaian Church called, "Elim Pentecostal" in College.

Word...that's what it should always be about - a relationship between an individual and God...not Pastors. But these Pastors act like God these days, with all kinds of ridiculous narcissistic crap. And beneath all that nonsense, majority of them are the worst folks out there. Do you know how many Church members a lot of these mofos shag all the time? How they steal from the Church etc..? Never put ya trust and salvation in someone who bleeds just like you.

Well whatever floats your boat Mr. Mysterious and complicated. tonguetonguetongue gringringrin All I know is you got some high level crazy going on. One moment, u are cool with someone, the next, you are butchering them with words . But then everyone has a "bįtch switch".

Lmao...it's the internet and I don't know anyone on here like that. Coupled with the fact that majority of the folks on here aren't about that life - not thorough-breds. So, they do a lot of sheisty, slimy, two-faced, and fake shiit all the time. And my realness transcends from real life, to the internet, and everywhere I go - so expect me to always call mofos out when they cross the line. grin

I do give certain folks passes though. It depends on our e-relationship. But the others, I just call them out whenever they through stones and hide their hands or play dumb. And my response always depend on how they play. I'm a thorough-bred and where I'm from, when you don't like someone's energy...you just have to call the person out to his/her face and set the records straight - the realness. Folks won't understand that cos they're not about that life. It's all about respect, man. grin

Err, the only person I antagonise intentionally with a vindictive sense of humour from time to time, just to g-check her, is missy89. I just mess around with her - but she's la familia.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 19, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I'm trying to learn from you, Missus.

Hence I said you should educate me. tongue Just Islam, though.
Which would you like? The history before or after the death of the Prophet(SAW)
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by yetseyi(f): 10:34am On Feb 20, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I just don't like discussing religion with religious folks with linear thought process (not you) cos to them, everything that isn't about their religion has to be the devil. Hence I said, "I don't want to get in trouble."

Err, I don't know I'll call "faith and hope" as being "real" since both are based on abstract things and in religion, they're dependent on the supernatural. They're like dreams. However, I don't have problems with folks who base their existence on both. I just have a problem with folks who exploit folks and peddle them as a "gift" and those who make both the basis for relations - and the thought process that whoever disagrees with them has to be of the devil.

The planet is too big for everyone to be one time...outlook will always vary. Hence even within Christianity, there are different denominations...with different approaches. Then you've got the tree where Christianity branched out from (Abrahamic religions) also divided into three: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. And there were so many religions way before Christianity started out about 2000years ago...just as there are so many religions today. Most folks from the far east ideology (Japan, China, India etc.) aren't even Christians.

Religion was created for moral guidance, brother/nation(hood), and spirituality. But God dwells in us all...even without religion. I think Jesus answered that in Luke 17:20-21, when he was speaking to the Pharisees.

Luke 17:20-21:

20 Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God does not come with observation; [i]21 nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”[/i]

^^^I believe that's self-explanatory, Sis.

Regardless, I admire the fact that you're religious since it works for you, but humanity is bigger than religion. And that's what I think folks (especially black people) need to be more cognizant of. Religion shouldn't define us - our heart should.

Alright then smiley
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 1:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
SirShymexx:

I hear that...through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. The I'm that I'm, ancient of days, Lion of the tribe of Judah, my sanctuary, and the author and finisher of my faith. He's my fortress and I'm forever going to hold on to his hands. And by his grace and glory, no weapon fashioned against me shall prosper. Amen! cool tongue Church!!

Sarcasm....
But one thing, though - as long as you believe in the teachings of Christ and the most high, you should termed as "born again" not just wingnuts and sanctimonious folks - since no one can completely stay away from sins. Imperfections that makes us human, and how mundane our existence is.
No I dont need a label in order to be a Christian I am supposed to be. Damn these born again folks are born-fire. I just wanna just be there and be kicking it, no need for pressure that comes with label. Life is stressful enough as it is.

Reducing premeditated sins a person commits has more to do with responsibilities (setting standards), morals, and maturity - and you don't actually need to be "born again" to achieve that.
Yes I agree with you, but some people need a reason or purpose to do all that. Thats why when someone messes up, u hear the phrase "but i thought he/she was a christian". Because there are some behaviours acceptable from a non-christian, but people get disappointed if a christian plied that road.

Then you have got the society/societal-standards where good or bad is dependent on mentality. For example: if you look at it critically, there's basically no difference between a thief and someone working on Wall Street, or a gambler and someone working as a stock broker. For thief vs bankster on Wall Street - they steal from people. And with gambler and stock broker, they both play a game of chance and take risks to gain advantage. So, what moral rights do we have as humans to quantify sins, or ascertain good vs. bad - since most times they're two sides to the same coin?

I think, morality should be independent on whether one is a christian or not. Even within the Christendom, peoples interpretation of morality varies. For example, some pastors will tell u it is ok to masturbate or have premarital sex, as long as you marry that person, while some will tell you masturbation and premarital sex is a sin. Now this is when it plays down to your conscience with the influence of the Holy-Spirit (yes i know christians always pull the Holy Spirit card). But really if one sits down and examine ones action and as a genuine Christian, one doesn't have any antagonism within their spirit and as long as the effect doesnt cause harm to anyone directly or indirectly, well then I guess its ok.
NB, these are my opinions though.

I was raised in Redeemed Church in South Ldn...been to the thing they do at ExCeL a few times (everyone in my fam are still members). Changed to some Ghanaian Church called, "Elim Pentecostal" in College.
I knew it gotta be redeemed. By the thing you meant Festival of Life.... grin grin

Word...that's what it should always be about - a relationship between an individual and God...not Pastors. But these Pastors act like God these days, with all kinds of ridiculous narcissistic crap. And beneath all that nonsense, majority of them are the worst folks out there. Do you know how many Church members a lot of these mofos shag all the time? How they steal from the Church etc..? Never put ya trust and salvation in someone who bleeds just like you
Now you just echoed my thoughts. thats it basically.

Lmao...it's the internet and I don't know anyone on here like that. Coupled with the fact that majority of the folks on here aren't about that life - not thorough-breds. So, they do a lot of sheisty, slimy, two-faced, and fake shiit all the time. And my realness transcends from real life, to the internet, and everywhere I go - so expect me to always call mofos out when they cross the line. grin

I do give certain folks passes though. It depends on our e-relationship. But the others, I just call them out whenever they through stones and hide their hands or play dumb. And my response always depend on how they play. I'm a thorough-bred and where I'm from, when you don't like someone's energy...you just have to call the person out to his/her face and set the records straight - the realness. Folks won't understand that cos they're not about that life. It's all about respect, man. grin

Err, the only person I antagonise intentionally with a vindictive sense of humour from time to time, just to g-check her, is missy89. I just mess around with her - but she's la familia.

Remind me not to ever cross you. Even though I like looking for trouble......
But you gotta tone down on that crazy Ijebuness in u.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 5:11pm On Feb 23, 2015
DollyParton1:

Sarcasm....

Lol. Not sarcasm, I'm Jesus' people and I believe in God and read the Bible whenever I can. Although, whenever I envision the image of Jesus and paint a perfect picture that will make Mona Lisa look like fake art in my head, I see black Jesus. A black man who looks just like me. Not a blond with blue eyes and straight hair - the image of Michael Angelo and Emperor Constantine. And perhaps that's where I'm different from the sheeple - coupled with the fact that I don't go to Church. However, I pray everyday and praise God in the shower, man. It's always God first. cool

No I dont need a label in order to be a Christian I am supposed to be. Damn these born again folks are born-fire. I just wanna just be there and be kicking it, no need for pressure that comes with label. Life is stressful enough as it is.

At the bold - say that again. Holiness is divine and supernatural - and since I was born of the flesh, with imperfections, it's beyond me. All I can do is lead a good life, and be an inspiration to others, and keep it real. Born-again is an euphemism for a fraud. grin

Yes I agree with you, but some people need a reason or purpose to do all that. Thats why when someone messes up, u hear the phrase "but i thought he/she was a christian". Because there are some behaviours acceptable from a non-christian, but people get disappointed if a christian plied that road.

I think this has more to do with the sanctimonious way in which a lot of these so-called "Christians" carry themselves. Most of them are frauds and very pretentious, and there's absolutely nothing bad in taunting them.

I think, morality should be independent on whether one is a christian or not. Even within the Christendom, peoples interpretation of morality varies. For example, some pastors will tell u it is ok to masturbate or have premarital sex, as long as you marry that person, while some will tell you masturbation and premarital sex is a sin. Now this is when it plays down to your conscience with the influence of the Holy-Spirit (yes i know christians always pull the Holy Spirit card). But really if one sits down and examine ones action and as a genuine Christian, one doesn't have any antagonism within their spirit and as long as the effect doesnt cause harm to anyone directly or indirectly, well then I guess its ok.
NB, these are my opinions though.

In as much as I love reading the Bible, and I believe it's a great book for morality and all kinds of experiences, it somewhat contradicts itself, from Chapter to Chapter - hence it's glaring it's a compilation of different books written different folks during different eras - not something written by a supernatural being as these folks claim. So, it's understand why these folks get lost in translation and interpret it differently.

However, God reside in our conscience like Jesus told the Pharisees and like you said, we should always let our conscience make the choice for what's good and/or bad.

I knew it gotta be redeemed. By the thing you meant Festival of Life.... grin grin

Lol. Yes, it's that one. Are you also a member of that Church? Darn! That place is always loaded with chics, man. The last time I went there was in 2006. Err, you live in the UK, don't you?

Remind me not to ever cross you. Even though I like looking for trouble......
But you gotta tone down on that crazy Ijebuness in u.

Lmao. You won't cross me if you continue to keep it real. I just don't like sheisty, fake, phony, shifty, and two-faced folks. Lol @Ijebuness - I don't even know what being "Ijebu" is like in the real sense of it, apart from my natural affinity for hustling and getting money. I just ride with Ijebu all the time cos I'm one - I might ask yetseyi to show me how to be a proper Ijebu don, with pure Ijebuness. tongue grin

The craziness comes with the territory - that's a South London thing, and I'm a product of my environment and my experience. That's how we g-check disrespectful folks cos respect is a necessity, and majority of the folks on here don't know how to talk to people. And I gotta let 'em have it depending on my mood. It's not even that deep - that's the way I catch fun on here. I think I've toned it down a bit cos I used to be worse circa 2013/14. grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 5:33pm On Feb 23, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Not sarcasm, I'm Jesus' people and I believe in God and read the Bible whenever I can. Although, whenever I envision the image of Jesus and paint a perfect picture that will make Mona Lisa look like fake art in my head, I see black Jesus. A black man who looks just like me. Not a blond with blue eyes and straight hair - the image of Michael Angelo and Emperor Constantine. And perhaps that's where I'm different from the sheeple - coupled with the fact that I don't go to Church. However, I pray everyday and praise God in the shower, man. It's always God first. cool
LOl. this is the type of argument I don't like getting into. Jesus as a human form was a Jew. Thats all I know.

At the bold - say that again. Holiness is divine and supernatural - and since I was born of the flesh, with imperfections, it's beyond me. All I can do is lead a good life, and be an inspiration to others, and keep it real. Born-again is an euphemism for a fraud. grin
I think this has more to do with the sanctimonious way in which a lot of these so-called "Christians" carry themselves. Most of them are frauds and very pretentious, and there's absolutely nothing bad in taunting them.[quote]
Basically, just gotta know what you believe in and hold unto it.

[quote]In as much as I love reading the Bible, and I believe it's a great book for morality and all kinds of experiences, it somewhat contradicts itself, from Chapter to Chapter - hence it's glaring it's a compilation of different books written different folks during different eras - not something written by a supernatural being as these folks claim. So, it's understand why these folks get lost in translation and interpret it differently.

However, God reside in our conscience like Jesus told the Pharisees and like you said, we should always let our conscience make the choice for what's good and/or bad.
Loool... people are claiming the Bible is written by a supernatural being? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Lawdhamercy!!!!

Lol. Yes, it's that one. Are you also a member of that Church? Darn! That place is always loaded with chics, man. The last time I went there was in 2006. Err, you live in the UK, don't you?
No I am no more a member. I used to be while I was in the Uni, just because it was the lesser evil of the two options I had. Need I say the pastor in charge of that particular parish is the most double faced human being I have ever come across.
No I don't reside in the UK.

Lmao. You won't cross me if you continue to keep it real. I just don't like sheisty, fake, phony, shifty, and two-faced folks. Lol @Ijebuness - I don't even know what being "Ijebu" is like in the real sense of it, apart from my natural affinity for hustling and getting money. I just ride with Ijebu all the time cos I'm one - I might ask yetseyi to show me how to be a proper Ijebu don, with pure Ijebuness. tongue grin

The craziness comes with the territory - that's a South London thing, and I'm a product of my environment and my experience. That's how we g-check disrespectful folks cos respect is a necessity, and majority of the folks on here don't know how to talk to people. And I gotta let 'em have it depending on my mood. It's not even that deep - that's the way I catch fun on here. I think I've toned it down a bit cos I used to be worse circa 2013/14. grin
You dont need to add any proper Ijebuness to you. Its gonna be a disaster. Yea I think you toned it down, but then the year is still early kinda.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 6:38pm On Feb 23, 2015
DollyParton1:

LOl. this is the type of argument I don't like getting into. Jesus as a human form was a Jew. Thats all I know.

Lol. If he ever walked this planet, then he was definitely an ancient Jew - not the modern one. The modern ones are Germanic and Kazan folks from Europe. grin

No I am no more a member. I used to be while I was in the Uni, just because it was the lesser evil of the two options I had. Need I say the pastor in charge of that particular parish is the most double faced human being I have ever come across.
No I don't reside in the UK.

Oh, okay. Where do you worship now? It's not like I know all the gazillion number of naij Churches springing up everywhere like bookies. Everywhere you turn these days, there's a naija Church, with some phony name, around the corner.

I was invited to a service at a Jehovah Witness Church by a female friend late last year, and I kind of like the Church and their mode of worship. It's somewhat like an interactive session, with no extras.

Err, where do you live and don't go ghost on me again this time? tongue

You dont need to add any proper Ijebuness to you. Its gonna be a disaster. Yea I think you toned it down, but then the year is still early kinda.

Nah, I need a lot of "Ijebuness" - my folks are noble merchants. No one gets money like us -shining stars.

Honestly, every time I tone it down, there's always some blinkered fvcker trying to take you for a mug. But whenever you tell them to fall back, they think you're some guy they can e-bully lol. And that leaves no choice than to clap-back. I've not really smacked anyone the way I can for like 7months now...I just throw baby-touches around here and there, with measured response, depending on how belligerent the pillock is. I ain't even got time for these folks apart from the comic relief I get off smacking their ar.ses. grin I'm just here to mess around, these folks don't post anything that can stimulate the cerebral cortex.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. If he ever walked this planet, then he was definitely an ancient Jew - not the modern one. The modern ones are Germanic and Kazan folks from Europe. grin

Oh, okay. Where do you worship now? It's not like I know all the gazillion number of naij Churches springing up everywhere like bookies. Everywhere you turn these days, there's a naija Church, with some phony name, around the corner.

I was invited to a service at a Jehovah Witness Church by a female friend late last year, and I kind of like the Church and their mode of worship. It's somewhat like an interactive session, with no extras.

Err, where do you live and don't go ghost on me again this time? tongue

Nah, I need a lot of "Ijebuness" - my folks are noble merchants. No one gets money like us -shining stars.

Honestly, every time I tone it down, there's always some blinkered fvcker trying to take you for a mug. But whenever you tell them to fall back, they think you're some guy they can e-bully lol. And that leaves no choice than to clap-back. I've not really smacked anyone the way I can for like 7months now...I just throw baby-touches around here and there, with measured response, depending on how belligerent the pillock is. I ain't even got time for these folks apart from the comic relief I get off smacking their ar.ses. grin I'm just here to mess around, these folks don't post anything that can stimulate the cerebral cortex.

Lets say I live in Nigeria for now. I attend Foursquare Gospel Church now. But when I am with my family in Nigeria, I revisit to my Baptist root.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 7:11pm On Feb 23, 2015
DollyParton1:

Lets say I live in Nigeria for now. I attend Foursquare Gospel Church now. But when I am with my family in Nigeria, I revisit to my Baptist root.

Egba folks and Baptist Church are like bread and butter. I guess it has to do with the first missionaries you lot met, after you were kicked out of Ibadan. The Baptist did help you lot during the Kiriji wars by supplying ya folks with guns and mercenaries - that's loyalty right there. I believe you lot also brought Christianity to Ijebuland cos prior to that, most Ijebus were pagans and Muslims who converted to Islam during trading with Malians. But Christianity was never allowed.

My maternal nan is also Egba, and she attends Baptist Church as well. Anyway, I don't the Foursquare Church...I know Redeemed, Winners, Apostolic, Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo's Church, and everyone's former Church out here - Celestial Church (memories, man). There's a next one some guy invited me to - Can't remember the name now.

When did you move to naija, and where did you live before going back to Africa like Dave Chappelle? grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 8:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
SirShymexx:

Egba folks and Baptist Church are like bread and butter. I guess it has to do with the first missionaries you lot met, after you were kicked out of Ibadan. The Baptist did help you lot during the Kiriji wars by supplying ya folks with guns and mercenaries - that's loyalty right there. I believe you lot also brought Christianity to Ijebuland cos prior to that, most Ijebus were pagans and Muslims who converted to Islam during trading with Malians. But Christianity was never allowed.
Loool... You got stories man! I have no idea of what u talking about. you might be right though. I know that the first Baptist missionary that came to Nigeria came to Egba first and I know that Egba people were opened to and embraced all sort of religions back then. They allowed anyone into Egba. The presence of Baptist churches is not that heavy in Egba. But those who are really raised in the baptist doctrine dont really wanna leave, plus Baptist church was the one of the old churches to allow their Youth to do their own thing back then. Dunno know much about Ijebu and religion. All I know is that Ijebu and Egba have something like a cold war going on between them.

My maternal nan is also Egba, and she attends Baptist Church as well. Anyway, I don't the Foursquare Church...I know Redeemed, Winners, Apostolic, Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo's Church, and everyone's former Church out here - Celestial Church (memories, man). There's a next one some guy invited me to - Can't remember the name now.
Foursquare originated from USA just like Baptist. It is a pretty old church too, dont know why its not popular. When Matthew Ashimolowo was sent from Nigeria to Uk to start the first Foursquare church in UK, sharp dude diverted and started his own church instead. lol... Celestial church back then in Nigeria had girls with nice badonkadonk, u would have loved it there.
When did you move to naija, and where did you live before going back to Africa like Dave Chappelle? grin

I havent moved to naija per say. Still roaming the globe. I did my Uni in Poand.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 10:10pm On Feb 23, 2015
DollyParton1:

Loool... You got stories man! I have no idea of what u talking about. you might be right though. I know that the first Baptist missionary that came to Nigeria came to Egba first and I know that Egba people were opened to and embraced all sort of religions back then. They allowed anyone into Egba. The presence of Baptist churches is not that heavy in Egba. But those who are really raised in the baptist doctrine dont really wanna leave, plus Baptist church was the one of the old churches to allow their Youth to do their own thing back then. Dunno know much about Ijebu and religion. All I know is that Ijebu and Egba have something like a cold war going on between them.

Lol. I read bits about Yoruba history on here from the NL greats...and did personal extensive reading. So, I have got vast knowledge about the history of all the Yoruba subgroups, and the Yoruba culture. The Egbas definitely brought Christianity to Ijebu folks in the 19th century, though the Ijebus had contacts with white folks way before anyone else in naij, from the 11th century. They started from the Remo axis, and the Remo folks took it to other parts of Ijebuland. I think that's why Ijebus are still predominantly Muslims, to an extent. Heck, most of the folks from my paternal side are Muslims. I just don't like Arabs, and whatever they have to offer.

I know about the cold war - got acquainted with it on here last year in the culture when some Egba folks were having a go at Ijebus. I had to put them in check. But I think it's between them and the Ijebus they occupy the same state with. Anyway, though I'm 25% Egba and closer to the Egba side of the family, I rep. that 75% Ijebu. I don't have problems with Egbas and/or all the Yoruba subgroups, though most of them always have something hideous to say about Ijebus. That's their prerogative - but it's all love from me, man. I rep. Yoruba!

However, a lot of these owanbe Yorubas can be two-faced and very primitive though. The type who'll smile in ya face, and talk behind ya back. You know the aunts and uncles that'll smile at you, then turn around and snitch to ya parents lol. They're the only group of Yorubas I don't mess with.

Foursquare originated from USA just like Baptist. It is a pretty old church too, dont know why its not popular. When Matthew Ashimolowo was sent from Nigeria to Uk to start the first Foursquare church in UK, sharp dude diverted and started his own church instead. lol... Celestial church back then in Nigeria had girls with nice badonkadonk, u would have loved it there.

Oh, okay. I don't really know much about American Pentecostalism, apart from the T.D Jakes, Creflo Dollars, and Eddie Longs of this world. I'll be on the look out for the Church in the UK. Lol @Matthew Ashimolowo - that nyggah just stole the Church's money and developed elephantiasis of the head lol.

Nah mate, I ain't finna run around in 'em white garment, man. I think Celestial Church that was the only naij Church in the UK in the 80s and 90s, and we went there for a bit (Bird in Bush Road). Ditto almost everyone else I grew up with. Tons of Memories there - especially how close-knitted everyone was and they always had food to serve every Sunday. The children class was bonkers dem times there, man. I can still remember their songs and mode of worship - that Church was fun.

Anyway, ya humongous badonkadonk is all I wanna see right about now. tongue grin

I havent moved to naija per say. Still roaming the globe. I did my Uni in Poand.

Don't lie. Poland? Everyone from Poland moved to the UK (lol). Anyway, can't knock that cos the Poles are a highly educated group, though they also have loads of peasants. And apparently, based on the UNESCO chart for Maths and Sciences I saw a couple of years ago - the country's far above the UK on the rankings, and the UK is also far above the US. So, their system of education and syllabus must be very good.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by DollyParton1(f): 11:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I read bits about Yoruba history on here from the NL greats...and did personal extensive reading. So, I have got vast knowledge about the history of all the Yoruba subgroups, and the Yoruba culture. The Egbas definitely brought Christianity to Ijebu folks in the 19th century, though the Ijebus had contacts with white folks way before anyone else in naij, from the 11th century. They started from the Remo axis, and the Remo folks took it to other parts of Ijebuland. I think that's why Ijebus are still predominantly Muslims, to an extent. Heck, most of the folks from my paternal side are Muslims. I just don't like Arabs, and whatever they have to offer.

I know about the cold war - got acquainted with it on here last year in the culture when some Egba folks were having a go at Ijebus. I had to put them in check. But I think it's between them and the Ijebus they occupy the same state with. Anyway, though I'm 25% Egba and closer to the Egba side of the family, I rep. that 75% Ijebu. I don't have problems with Egbas and/or all the Yoruba subgroups, though most of them always have something hideous to say about Ijebus. That's their prerogative - but it's all love from me, man. I rep. Yoruba!

However, a lot of these owanbe Yorubas can be two-faced and very primitive though. The type who'll smile in ya face, and talk behind ya back. You know the aunts and uncles that'll smile at you, then turn around and snitch to ya parents lol. They're the only group of Yorubas I don't mess with.
Its a general belief that the ijebus are two-faced of all the Yoruba subgroups. Most of the association or interaction of an egba woman/man with an ijebu man/woman, does not go well like 80% of the time.
Loool, those aunties and uncles dont snitch while I was growing up. They take u to your parents and make u tell them yourself. Heck they even antagonize you right in front of you like satan the adversary that the Bible talked about.

Oh, okay. I don't really know much about American Pentecostalism, apart from the T.D Jakes, Creflo Dollars, and Eddie Longs of this world. I'll be on the look out for the Church in the UK. Lol @Matthew Ashimolowo - that nyggah just stole the Church's money and developed elephantiasis of the head lol.

Foursquare dates back to 1927, its not so old when compared to the likes of Baptist and Co, neither can it be grouped with the likes of Creflo Dollars and Co.

Nah mate, I ain't finna run around in 'em white garment, man. I think Celestial Church that was the only naij Church in the UK in the 80s and 90s, and we went there for a bit (Bird in Bush Road). Ditto almost everyone else I grew up with. Tons of Memories there - especially how close-knitted everyone was and they always had food to serve every Sunday. The children class was bonkers dem times there, man. I can still remember their songs and mode of worship - that Church was fun.
I think Nigerians were close-knitted back then, compared to now. Been to CCC three times or so, there songs and the act of someone going into the spirit realm amazes me everytime.

[s]Anyway, ya humongous badonkadonk is all I wanna see right about now. tongue grin[/s]

Don't lie. Poland? Everyone from Poland moved to the UK (lol). Anyway, can't knock that cos the Poles are a highly educated group, though they also have loads of peasants. And apparently, based on the UNESCO chart for Maths and Sciences I saw a couple of years ago - the country's far above the UK on the rankings, and the UK is also far above the US. So, their system of education and syllabus must be very good.
Yea Poland. Those folks go to school for free. From Kindergarten till PHD. Most of them don't stop until they get their PHD degree.
Yea, they used to produce the finest Doctors in Europe, dunno if they still top the chart.
Their system of Education is crazy... I had to do Physics, Chemistry and Biology before I went into Uni, boy!! I did struggle at first before I got acculturized into the educational system. They give u test on every topic/module they cover. And you have to pass it, even if it means writing it three times and the teacher testing you orally the fourth time. Also the general rule is that the pass mark can't go lower than 55%, while some really mean department did set theirs at 60% or even 65% if you get those psychos as head of department. You be getting 54% and those fuckers will be telling u that u failed. Dang!!!! am getting emotional thinking about it. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 12:06am On Feb 24, 2015
DollyParton1:

Its a general belief that the ijebus are two-faced of all the Yoruba subgroups. Most of the association or interaction of an egba woman/man with an ijebu man/woman, does not go well like 80% of the time.
Loool, those aunties and uncles dont snitch while I was growing up. They take u to your parents and make u tell them yourself. Heck they even antagonize you right in front of you like satan the adversary that the Bible talked about.

Lol. You know I'm a very observant student and I tend to learn very fast. And also, I've been here for three years - so you should know I'm acquainted with a lot about Nigeria/Yoruba history and politics. Err, apart from the Kiriji wars, when Ijebus were shrewd businessman and dominated the sea coast and trade - the genesis of the anti-Ijebu folklore. How many Ijebus are two-faced? Erm, who betrayed Awolowo, an Ijebu man? - they're from Oyo and Egba (two prominent Egba son). I'm sure you know Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin, and Abraham Adesanya are also Ijebus...and I believe they're the three of the most upright Yoruba realists ever. You can't be braver and more upstanding than these men - that's the Ijebu spirit.

Moreover, who did the Tinubu man call the most loyal Yoruba King who never took bribe from anyone to sell out anyone? - Awujale of Ijebu. I'm just being honest here cos I've got some Egba blood flowing in my veins and arteries.

Foursquare dates back to 1927, its not so old when compared to the likes of Baptist and Co, neither can it be grouped with the likes of Creflo Dollars and Co.

Oh, okay. I thought it's a Pentecostal Church, hence I grouped it with Creflo Dollar, and the rest. Baptist Church is old...that's the black Church in America. MLK was also a Pastor there - Ebenezer Baptist Church.

I think Nigerians were close-knitted back then, compared to now. Been to CCC three times or so, there songs and the act of someone going into the spirit realm amazes me everytime.

Lol. Their style of speaking in tongues is different, with folks shaking and crip-walking with one leg. And they always have a message to give loool. Darn! That was the ish back then - the longest Church service ever, with a lot of dancing and merry-makinggrin

Yea Poland. Those folks go to school for free. From Kindergarten till PHD. Most of them don't stop until they get their PHD degree.
Yea, they used to produce the finest Doctors in Europe, dunno if they still top the chart.
Their system of Education is crazy... I had to do Physics, Chemistry and Biology before I went into Uni, boy!! I did struggle at first before I got acculturized into the educational system. They give u test on every topic/module they cover. And you have to pass it, even if it means writing it three times and the teacher testing you orally the fourth time. Also the general rule is that the pass mark can't go lower than 55%, while some really mean department did set theirs at 60% or even 65% if you get those psychos as head of department. You be getting 54% and those fuckers will be telling u that u failed. Dang!!!! am getting emotional thinking about it. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is the ranking: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science They're a highly educated group, though I can't stand them cos they're racists.

So, you dated a few Polish guys, no? - bwahahaha. Dem nyggahs wouldn't be able to handle all the junk in ya trunk. And stop crossing out my post, you still owe me different shots of that thang. Yesterday, I also heard that Egba women have the biggest badonkadonk per ratio among Yorubas, how true is that?
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by yetseyi(f): 10:48am On Feb 24, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lmao.[/b] You won't cross me if you continue to keep it real. I just don't like sheisty, fake, phony, shifty, and two-faced folks.[b] Lol @Ijebuness - I don't even know what being "Ijebu" is like in the real sense of it, apart from my natural affinity for hustling and getting money. I just ride with Ijebu all the time cos I'm one - I might ask yetseyi to show me how to be a proper Ijebu dn, with pure Ijebuness. tongue grin

grin

The bolded is real Ijebuness grin Seriously though i do not think I have met any one who is as passionate about his ijebu heritage as you are.
At time I wonder whats with shymex and the Ijebu dynasty, the passion alone shows you are a proper Ijebu don.

SirShymexx:

The craziness comes with the territory - that's a South London thing, and I'm a product of my environment and my experience. That's how we g-check disrespectful folks cos respect is a necessity, and majority of the folks on here don't know how to talk to people. And I gotta let 'em have it depending on my mood. It's not even that deep - that's the way I catch fun on here.[/b] I think I've toned it down a bit cos I used to be worse circa 2013/14[b]. grin

Really, so you are a lot "nicer" now hmm that's quite interesting grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by yetseyi(f): 11:01am On Feb 24, 2015
SirShymexx:

Kekere Ijebu owoni owo ni agba ijebu oo owo ni cool cool

SirShymexx:

Honestly, every time I tone it down, there's always some blinkered fvcker trying to take you for a mug. But whenever you tell them to fall back, they think you're some guy they can e-bully lol. And that leaves no choice than to clap-back.[/b] I've not really smacked anyone the way I can for like 7months now...I just throw baby-touches around here and there, with measured response, depending on how belligerent the pillock is.[b] I ain't even got time for these folks apart from the comic relief I get off smacking their ar.ses. grin I'm just here to mess around, these folks don't post anything that can stimulate the cerebral cortex.

shocked shocked shocked You call all what i read on "that" thread baby-touches tongue
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by yetseyi(f): 11:08am On Feb 24, 2015
DollyParton1:

Dolly parton angry angry

Not two faced, but most times I wonder what the beef is with ijebus. Especially the Ondos/Ekiti, the hatred is something else. Not really someone that loves stereotypes but I have realized that if we can have a liberal mind we would see beyond those stereotypes. The day I mentioned i was Ijebu at a place I was working the comments I heared was so hilarious and they have built these in their minds.Let me not even talk about them although some were hurtful.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 4:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
yetseyi:

Kekere Ijebu owoni owo ni agba ijebu oo owo ni cool cool

shocked shocked shocked You call all what i read on "that" thread baby-touches tongue

Lol. That's what's up.

They're baby-touches, sis. grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 4:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
yetseyi:

The bolded is real Ijebuness grin Seriously though i do not think I have met any one who is as passionate about his ijebu heritage as you are.
At time I wonder whats with shymex and the Ijebu dynasty, the passion alone shows you are a proper Ijebu don.

Really, so you are a lot "nicer" now hmm that's quite interesting grin

I just alluded to it more on here cos of the anti-Ijebu tripe I see everywhere all the time. It's like saying, "I'm Ijebu - so what? You can hate me now". It's nothing to be ashamed of, regardless of what ignorant folks think.

With me, what you see is what you get...and I relate to people based on the energy they give out.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 4:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
yetseyi:

Dolly parton angry angry

Not two faced, but most times I wonder what the beef is with ijebus. Especially the Ondos/Ekiti, the hatred is something else. Not really someone that loves stereotypes but I have realized that if we can have a liberal mind we would see beyond those stereotypes. The day I mentioned i was Ijebu at a place I was working the comments I heared was so hilarious and they have built these in their minds.Let me not even talk about them although some were hurtful.

The same Ekiti folks who sold their souls for a plate of rice? - bwahahahahaha grin
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
SirShymexx:

The same Ekiti folks who sold their souls for a plate of rice? - bwahahahahaha grin
Hahahhaa... Rice is gold you know? grin grin The easiest way to a man's heart us food..
That been said. I think folks have been so harsh on the people of ekiti considering the events surrounding last year's election... Stomach infrastructure isn't peculiar to ekiti peeps alone.. This nonsense happens in all 767 LGA in Nigeria..
Poverty in the land is real bro sad
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 12:27am On Feb 25, 2015
Ogbeche77:
Hahahhaa... Rice is gold you know? grin grin The easiest way to a man's heart us food..
That been said. I think folks have been so harsh on the people of ekiti considering the events surrounding last year's election... Stomach infrastructure isn't peculiar to ekiti peeps alone.. This nonsense happens in all 767 LGA in Nigeria..
Poverty in the land is real bro sad

Lol. So, Ekiti folks love their rice like Ibadan folks love their black amala, no? grin

Not hating on Ekit folks, but I defo. can't look at them the same way after the rice-gate. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 12:29am On Feb 25, 2015
Ogbeche77, missy89, dollyparton1, and yetseyi

Check out my young Yoruba donny, Sona, from London singing in Yoruba better than Yorubas from naija - you can't get realer than this. cool

Free the boy Sonaman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCtJZ0SU8U
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Missy89(f): 12:52am On Feb 25, 2015
SirShymexx:
Ogbeche77, missy89, dollyparton1, and yetseyi

Check out my young Yoruba donny, Sona, from London singing in Yoruba better than Yorubas from naija - you can't get realer than this. cool

Free the boy Sonaman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCtJZ0SU8U

COOL.

Rubbish song thou
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 12:59am On Feb 25, 2015
Missy89:

COOL.

Rubbish song thou

Lol. Pele, big head. grin Post to me in Yoruba, I wanna show you I can get a little bit off. tongue

How about this one?

Man like Sona - Croydon massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBVls0wNvA
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Missy89(f): 1:09am On Feb 25, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Pele, big head. grin Post to me in Yoruba, I wanna show you I can get a little bit off. tongue

How about this one?

Man like Sona - Croydon massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBVls0wNvA

Mi o kin gbo awon iru orin yi.

Average.
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 1:12am On Feb 25, 2015
Missy89:

Mi o kin gbo awon iru orin yi.

Average.

Lol. Thought all naija folks were into this, to be honest.

So, what genre of music do you listen to?
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by igbo2011(m): 1:49am On Feb 25, 2015
SirShymexx:

Are you Christian?
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by Missy89(f): 1:56am On Feb 25, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Thought all naija folks were into this, to be honest.

So, what genre of music do you listen to?

Reggae, Folk and Alternative cool
Re: Happy Valentine From Me To All by SirShymexx: 2:08am On Feb 25, 2015
Missy89:

Reggae, Folk and Alternative cool

Lol. You're a weirdo. grin

Apart from reggae, which is one of my favourite genres, including all the other sounds from the Caribbean (calypso, bashment, soca, reggaeton et al) - I can't relate to the other weird genres you're into. Gatts stick to hiphop, Fela Kuti, grime, garage, soft rock, R & B, Jazz, and soul music. I fvcks with country music sometimes as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Marries 2 Men, Charged To Sharia Court / Will you be my Friend ????[Nairaland home of friends] / Palm Kernel Oil And Coconut Oil. ( Adin Eyan Ati Adin Agbon) Available Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.