Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix (64480 Views)

Just Got Bitten By A Rodent / Bitten By Any Of These Beefore? See Photo. / What To Do When You Or Someone Gets Bitten By A Snake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by absoluteSuccess: 11:55pm On Feb 17, 2015
God, these abominable creatures are always deadly.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Proffdada: 11:55pm On Feb 17, 2015
lucky it wasn't a sheppopotamus
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Badosqi(m): 12:03am On Feb 18, 2015
billyG:
i no no say hippo dey chew meat
truth is hippos don't eat meat, it acted like dat because of territory defence. They are herbivore and only eat on land in evening plus night.

2 Likes

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Aydesmond(m): 12:11am On Feb 18, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Beggar....bad habit.
yes sir
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by stagger: 12:16am On Feb 18, 2015
MadCow1:

What Bacteria?

You don start o!

What bacteria do you speak of?

Hippos are herbivores that don't eat meat so what bacteria do they have in their mouth and for what purpose?

Stop watching channel o, MTV base and those stations that fill your mind with filth and watch Nat Geo Wild or Nat Geo for once to gain some knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by idupaul: 12:44am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:

According to my chief consultant, a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake's bite.

SMH.. Comments like this make me tired of Nigeria!!!! Hippos do not produce any known toxin , what U doctor meant was that hippos mite have dirty teeth which can introduce bacteria to a flesh wound .
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by leo1234(m): 1:40am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
These are wounds from the leg of a fisherman brought to our clinic after engaging in a fight with a very big hippo. According to our patient, the hippo attacked and destroyed their boat. He engaged in a fight with the hippo for over 30 minutes b4 finally escaping.
I will upload pix of the wounds b4 and after surgery. The surgical procedure is called debridement (surgical removal of dead tissues and foreign bodies).

According to my chief consultant, a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake's bite.

Is there any ante dote for the poisonous bite?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by 190: 1:44am On Feb 18, 2015
ARE THERE HIPPO'S IN NIGERIA

If yes any stories on them and where they could be found easily
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by MadCow1: 2:27am On Feb 18, 2015
stagger:

Stop watching channel o, MTV base and those stations that fill your mind with filth and watch Nat Geo Wild or Nat Geo for once to gain some knowledge.

Young man, back up the bacteria story with proof from Nat Geo or Animal planet..

I have never heard that Hippos have bacteria in their mouth that infects bites..

I know they have very powerful jaws that can't cut through bones, but bacteria? Hells No.. You should help that fellow provide proof if you have any..

And kudos to you on the MTV joke.. You may just have a future in stand up with a shiit load more practice.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by shota(m): 3:05am On Feb 18, 2015
OboloMAN:
Hippos still exists .. They are found in the Niger Delta .. and Worshipped as a god in Bonny island .. Rivers State.

Not true. Bonny people do not worship Hippo and yes there are Hippos still in Bonny island and few in other parts like Ke and old Ifoko forest.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by itstpia8: 3:08am On Feb 18, 2015
Divineluv14:
I didn't know hippos still exist

There are hippos in cameroon.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by ethylene: 3:51am On Feb 18, 2015
There won't be fish till he gets well. cry
Quick recovery bro.
Every job has it's own occupation Hazard
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by casid: 5:15am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
I tot the same thing my dear. I was shocked hearing 4rm d man, that he was biten by a Hippo. All my thought was that "Hippos are extinct" but they aint.

There is a hippo in Maiduguri's zoo, but not a big one though.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Amazo: 5:18am On Feb 18, 2015
To get the true idea of how extremely lucky this man is, just ONE powerful bite from an adult hippo WILL SLICE a well-grown adult crocodile into two.

Hippos are extremely territorial. They can attack without any provocation, just for being on a side of the river it considers its own. Relatively slow on land but extremely swift in the water. They are excellent swimmers, and can submerge underwater for long periods just like crocs and gators. Hippos are extremely dangerous, and in recent times have been proven to be carnivorous too --yes, sometimes they eat meat. So never think of a hippo as some benign over-sized plant eater. You either shoot it in the head or avoid being in an area where they are known to be found. Final note, I hate hippos angry

2 Likes

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by drololaaof: 5:39am On Feb 18, 2015
Wish him good recovery and protection against future attack. But did u take permission from the man be/4 posting & taking the pictures?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by passionate88: 5:49am On Feb 18, 2015
ichidodo:
Hippos eat meat right? So what are they?...
they are herbivors... They diet on grass
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Patented: 6:13am On Feb 18, 2015
Hippo's are not venomous, However they carry a lot of bacteria in their mouths.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 6:21am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
Dr. Lagusta, he was biten in Cameroon. But the clinic is in Yola

How did he cross our border?

What is the content and import of the hippocratic oath doctors take? Does it not cover patient/client confidentiality?

That place is unfit to be a clinic!

My sympathy to the fisherman but I think he requires better medical service than the one you people are giving to him.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 6:21am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
These are wounds from the leg of a fisherman brought to our clinic after engaging in a fight with a very big hippo. According to our patient, the hippo attacked and destroyed their boat. He engaged in a fight with the hippo for over 30 minutes b4 finally escaping.
I will upload pix of the wounds b4 and after surgery. The surgical procedure is called debridement (surgical removal of dead tissues and foreign bodies).

Sheer lies!

Not even 'superman' can survive a 30mins tussle with Africa most dangerous animal.

'a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake bite?...' That's arrant nonsense! Hippos' bites, particularly the male hippos, would simply divide whatever they bite into half(1,800pounds). Wildlife researchers only emphasised the bite force of hippos, and not the toxic nature. Hippos only have bacteria in their guts to help digest the water plant they feed on. The bacteria are not situated in their mouth.

Your pt likely didn't know what attacked him, or you're making up a bogus story.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by 100Cents: 6:34am On Feb 18, 2015
Divineluv14:
I didn't know hippos still exist

There are wild animals all over the place even close to towns.

I saw a big antelope yesterday caught by hunters in my neighborhood. I have also seen a 12 foot green python in my neighborhood..

These animals hide perfectly to escape humans.

1 Like

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 6:37am On Feb 18, 2015
lordprosh:
[right][/right]Chai.nd dy look innocent
Was thinking of buying m Gf one to replace her dead dog..but "Mercy said No"
lol
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by creamchiccb(f): 6:38am On Feb 18, 2015
Omg...so hippos are this dangerous...choii shocked shocked
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by mormoni(m): 6:46am On Feb 18, 2015
Marc9:

Sheer lies!

Not even 'superman' can survive a 30mins tussle with Africa most dangerous animal.

'a bite from a hippo is more poisonous than a snake bite?...' That's arrant nonsense! Hippos' bites, particularly the male hippos, would simply divide whatever they bite into half(1,800pounds). Wildlife researchers only emphasised the bite force of hippos, and not the toxic nature. Hippos only have bacteria in their guts to help digest the water plant they feed on. The bacteria are not situated in their mouth.

Your pt likely didn't know what attacked him, or you're making up a bogus story.
get well soon
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
get well soon

'A hippo's bite is more poisonous than a snake bite'..... Are you d hospital's janitor?
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by ignis: 7:04am On Feb 18, 2015
That's so bad...
Wishing him quick recovery.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by lordprosh(m): 7:16am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
lol
Was thinking of buying her a very cute pet..nd hippos look cute.
Dy look spineless
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by itstpia8: 7:20am On Feb 18, 2015
drololaaof:
did u take permission from the man be/4 posting & taking the pictures?

i assume the the original post is a fake one, as typically happens here.

the onus is to determine if those wounds were actually caused by a hippo or not.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by itstpia8: 7:22am On Feb 18, 2015
shota:

Not true. Bonny people do not worship Hippo and yes there are Hippos still in Bonny island and few in other parts like Ke and old Ifoko forest.

they must have been introduced fairly recently.

the last wild hippos in Nigeria were seen somewhere in the south south around the 1900s or so.
Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by keddyluv(f): 7:22am On Feb 18, 2015
mormoni:
Dr. Lagusta, he was biten in Cameroon. But the clinic is in Yola
Are there no clinics in Cameroon?

2 Likes

Re: A Fisherman Bitten By A Hippopotamus *pix by TONYE001(m): 7:22am On Feb 18, 2015
shota:

Did someone just mention Ke Town? Hehehe...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Coronavirus: FG Confirms Five New Cases / I Have This Skin Problem And I Am About To Get Married (Graphic Photo) / 'Now I Can Expose My Face'; Lady Says After Removal Of Head Tumour. Graphic Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.