Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops (4195 Views)

Saraki Senate Presidency: Tinubu​ Blasts President Buhari / Saraki Senate Presidency: Tinubu​ Blasts President Buhari / Hillary Clinton Blasts President Jonathan. Claims He's Corrupt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by sammyj: 6:34pm On Feb 17, 2015
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by MCynthia(f): 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2015
U all that spew rubbish blaming the president should keep seal up pls! I haven't seen anythg wrong in begging another country for assistance, after all the Americans came for our assistance when they found out Nigerians could contain ebola outbreak and they cant, so don't always criticize d president in d name of politics when, u guys must politicize everythg.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by ayukdaboss(m): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
If the sound of picking up arms to fight Boko Haram is terrifying (which certainly is), picking up your voter's card to vote out a government that is demilitarizing Nigeria would likely have the same effect at much less cost.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by atlwireles: 7:00pm On Feb 17, 2015
U.S. army to provide equipment, intelligence to fight Boko Haram

N'DJAMENA (Reuters) - The United States military will provide communications equipment and intelligence to help African nations in the fight against Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram, the commander of U.S. Special Forces operations in Africa said.

West African military commanders have long complained that cross-border operations against Islamist groups, from al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in Mali to Boko Haram in Nigeria, have been obstructed by lack of compatible communications equipment, making it hard to swap information and coordinate.

Major General James Linder said that, as part of the annual U.S.-backed 'Flintlock' counter-terrorism exercises this year in Chad, the United States would provide technology allowing African partners to communicate between cellphones, radios and computers.

The system also incorporates a translation function that would allow commanders in francophone countries like Chad to communicate by message with English-speaking officers in Nigeria, a U.S. military officer said.

Boko Haram killed an estimated 10,000 people last year in its campaign to carve an Islamist emirate from northern Nigeria. Amid growing international alarm, the four nations of the Lake Chad region -- Chad, Niger, Cameroon and Nigeria -- plus neighboring Benin are preparing a joint task-force of 8,700 men to take on the Sunni jihadist group.

Chad's military, which played a leading role in a French-led campaign that ousted Islamist groups from northern Mali in 2013, has already led attacks against Boko Haram positions in Nigeria's border regions.

"The Lake Chad nations are battling Boko Haram and we have a vested interest in that group of nations' collective success ... What Boko Harm is doing is a murderous rampage, about brutality intolerance and subjugation," Linder said in an interview late on Monday.

"Our national leadership has been very clear that more was going to be done ... There is an ongoing discussion on how will we provide additional tools, techniques, and material to partner nations."

At the Flintlock exercises, the U.S. military will also be introducing a Cloud-based technology to allows African allies to quickly share intelligence across borders, such as mapping information the location of potential targets, Linder said.

The ninth edition of Flintlock, grouping 1,300 soldiers from 28 African and Western nations, will emphasize the importance of troops fostering strong relations with local communities to gain intelligence on insurgent groups.

Linder said that African armies were well placed to gather this kind of information, but the United States could share other kinds of intelligence to boost the success of operations against Boko Haram.

"It’s the things that we find from flying over a target and having an FMV, a full motion video, or being able to take pictures, or being able to do a different type of geo-spatial analysis or predictive analysis on the enemy," he said.

Washington's long-term goal was to enable African nations to be sufficiently trained and equipped to face their own security challenges, Linder said.

"By 2050, one-third of the global population will be on the African continent," he said. "The global economy and the global community need stable countries in Africa and that can only happen through African nation states themselves."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/17/us-nigeria-violence-usa
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by crownprince102: 7:00pm On Feb 17, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
Are you Nigerian?
lol grin....... Ur head dey there
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
atlwireles:
You people don't understand the politics of publicly asking for troops. The french are in Niger and Chad working with the Nigerian army. Some People are not happy, so you publicly call for their support. They will now leave you alone to go about your business as you please.
Nigerian or Nigerien army?
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by LaRoyalHighness(f): 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
Yes! Don't help.... Time to stop crawling and begging.... We no dey tire?
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by shaqhead: 7:56pm On Feb 17, 2015
ayukdaboss:
If the sound of picking up arms to fight Boko Haram is terrifying (which certainly is), picking up your voter's card to vote out a government that is demilitarizing Nigeria would likely have the same effect at much less cost.
Those words pierced like a bayonet-read that comment over n again!
#Change is here
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by jorlons(m): 8:06pm On Feb 17, 2015
saharachic:
Dr Good LOCK ! grin grin grin grin

Hw about Toughluck

mehn these guys finish Oga jona reputation big time
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by ABEngine(m): 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2015
Haha, these Americans are damn funny. They can go fvcck themselves for all I care. I just don't blame them I blame my able president for letting Nigerians and the soft arm of the law decide the fate of GMB even after several treasonable statements. Let me tell you what dictators do, hang that 72 years old crooked neck of his on the next available noose till pronounced dead. Omo I lost some corp members in 2011 for the sake of that dude, we don't need your blood sucking aid dear America, credits to you there storms a lot of trouble in the mid east already, save that for ISIS. Meanwhile the major problem here is resource control, glad these licenses are on their way back south, did someone say Amen.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 17, 2015
The truth must be told, if ur voting gej, u r blind!

2 Likes

Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by experimentist: 9:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
Bacarnista:
The Americans do not want to help because their interest is to see Nigeria divide
If we have a competent leader we won't need any help from America. GEJ is a failed dunce
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by experimentist: 9:29pm On Feb 17, 2015
jorlons:

Hw about Toughluck

Tough luck lol grin

Mine is Goat luck grin
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by farem: 9:55pm On Feb 17, 2015
[color=#770077][/color]
andresia:

U must be a very silly dolt to quote the whole post just to type such dry joke.

Ooops! E pain am.
I didnt cause it
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by EnigmAries(m): 10:21pm On Feb 17, 2015
Ted Childers:
Might I suggest to President Johnathan that hanging one general officer a week for corruption (stealing the troop's pay, etc.) might do wonders for the military effectiveness of his army and solve his problem post haste.
You fall ma hand, Ted! Stealing ain't corruption to Jonathan. cheesy

Michael Markovitch:
No. Nigeria's army would be able to do the job, if it were not for corruption. Hopefully Nigeria will get a new President in the next election. Having "Goodluck" around certainly hasn't been good luck for Nigeria.
Another APC member, I guess.
Kevin Finch:
As our "friend", what exactly does he do? Sorry, Toughluckcheesy Jonathan. If your able-bodied young men aren't willing to take up arms to fight this small rag tag group, I see no reason why kids from Iowa and Texas should die instead. At least the Kurds and some Iraqis are willing to try to take the lead on their ground fighting, and ISIS appears far more formidable and well armed than Boko Haram
Let everyone who is able and willing join the Army, but no they wont allow it. We don't even know where the military budget is going.
Joan Newcomb:
Goodluck Jonathan..he has good luck, alright...where does 10% of Nigeria's oil production go? For how many years has 10% of production been stolen? Now they want American politicians to take the earnings of the U.S. populace and funnel it to a seated mafia?
This Americans have better knowledge of this government than most PDP agents on here.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 17, 2015
My American Perspective:

First of all, I have family members and close friends that are in the military. I DO NOT want them to have to go to Nigeria. The reason being that it's a useless effort that can be avoided if Nigerians held leaders accountable.

There is no reason why Mr. Jonathan should have been able to serve his first full term. He should have been impeached long ago. Now he has the gall to seek a reelection.

Second of all, I really do not want my tax dollars being spent on rescuing another oil rich country. I have countrymen that are struggling, living on the streets of America.

My Nigerian Perspective:

First of all, enough is enough. Stop looting and stealing and leave a legacy.

Second of all, split the efn country already and let's end this ridiculous marriage of convenience that the Brits set up as they were departing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
Miami11:
Jonathan ashaming Nigeria since 1897.
Always begging Chai
grin grin
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
Bacarnista:
The Americans do not want to help because their interest is to see Nigeria divide
they stopped buying oil in order to weaken our economy and render the government weak and ineffective and broke. Then the boko haram menace waged on. Raising insecurity. Now the puppets of France aka chad niger and Cameroon are bombarding northeast. Don't be surprised if they start stationing soldiers there and slowly claim the area. So many things are yet to happen before March 28. Presidency has raised rumours obj is interested in heading interim government and he just tore his pdp card in order to raise the awareness he is neutral and the right patriot to lead an ING. As a known US puppet will Obasanjo allow US to split the country if he is picked as interim president?
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 17, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
Are you Nigerian?
seen this local fowl forming agric fowl.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by munex007(m): 12:48am On Feb 18, 2015
When the time comes, don't just cast your vote, do it with good judgment. But if the time never comes, be prepared to get on the streets in peaceful demand for an end to this kleptocracy. An onlooker in the face of tyranny is either a traitor or a coward.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by MurdaForker(m): 3:59am On Feb 18, 2015
Bekwarra:
A sensible person will know this is not an insult to the president but to Nigerians as a whole. Go to an average American site and you'll see the level of insult they hurl at third world countries even the black Americans. But do I blame them?
I totally agree bt when our president won't stop embarrassing us nko?
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by bobbydbobo: 4:13am On Feb 18, 2015
crownprince102:

Are you calling urself an american? undecided
. Mi FC?
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by tunex23: 6:14am On Feb 18, 2015
Bacarnista:
rubbish!
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by tunex23: 6:15am On Feb 18, 2015
jorlons:

Hw about Toughluck

It seems they understand Nigeria better than Nigerians, they also want change for Nigeria
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by luvmijeje(f): 6:47am On Feb 18, 2015
They are right..... Nothing but the truth.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by omenka(m): 9:58am On Feb 18, 2015
That Carter Newton's post is particularly depressing.

Smh.
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by moneypassmadam: 10:34am On Feb 18, 2015
this is sad
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by wildikeman(m): 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
SSSlytherin2:
Americans have killed us. angry grin
How??
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by wildikeman(m): 2:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
Bekwarra:
A sensible person will know this is not an insult to the president but to Nigerians as a whole. Go to an average American site and you'll see the level of insult they hurl at third world countries even the black Americans. But do I blame them?
how did they insult Nigerians
Re: MUST READ: Americans Blasts President Jonathan For Requesting For US Troops by ajetunde: 8:05am On Mar 19, 2015
omenka:
That Carter Newton's post is particularly depressing.

Smh.
Exactly, I was just like shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Black African Nation Do You Think Will Become The First To Emerge? / Picture Of Ondo That Got Rid Of Local Government / Photo: Wike Arrested By Efcc In 2008 For Stealing Over N4bn.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.