Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,226 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:49 PM

Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer (2830 Views)

PDP Is Buying Technology That Can Disable Inec's Card Readers -APC / INEC CARD READER: See What Nigerians Are Saying About Their Experience / Picture Of INEC Card Reader Reading A PVC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by resty4(m): 7:26am On Feb 18, 2015
The card reader is the latest innovation into Nigeria’s electoral process and was introduced to minimise rigging of the voters register.
The card reader, is an input device that reads the data in a medium or card, in this case, the Permanent Voter Card, PVC to the purpose of verifying if the data in the card corresponds with the data captured by INEC during the registration exercise of eligible voters.
The introduction of the card reader has sparked controversy with the two major parties, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and the All Progressives Congress, APC taking opposite positions on the issue. The PDP is demanding that the card reader be discarded with some of its officials alleging that it is unworkable.
The APC on the other hand, is demanding for the strict use of the device on the premise that it is the best antidote to the rigging of the voters roll.
How INEC’s reader works
•Card reader
After inputting the PVC into the card reader, if it is genuine, the picture of the owner would pop up to affirm that the card is genuine.
The next step is to confirm if the presenter of the card is the owner of the card. He or she is now expected to match his fingers on the card reader to show if the finger print would match the original biometric data captured during the registration exercise. If it matches, then the person is passed on to vote.
“If the finger print of the person agrees with the finger print on the imbedded chip and it will say ‘Verified’ and that means the person is free to go and vote.
If it does not belong to the person, the response would be ‘Not Verified’ and it says it loud for everybody to hear. If it says that, party agents are there, observers are there, voters are there and an INEC staff says go and vote or not and everybody keeps quiet,” Mr. Kayode Idowu, chief press secretary to the INEC chairman told Vanguard.
Mr. Idowu affirmed that the adoption of the card reader has significantly minimised rigging of the electoral roll.
According to him it would take conspiracy of all human elements at the polling unit to enable a wrong person to vote as the card reader would audibly pronounce the eligibility or otherwise of a potential voter.
“The way INEC has designed the Card Reader, it will only take a community conspiracy for the system to be manipulated and if that happens there is nothing anybody can do about it and it will not be the fault of INEC because it is designed in such a way that it is unique. Number one it has a voice prompt which will speak out loudly from the speaker if a voter is accredited or not the moment the finger print is placed on it.”http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/inecs-card-reader-the-game-changer/

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 18, 2015
Brilliant move there....I think this is an excellent strategy to stop rigging and manipulation of votes in Nigeria
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 18, 2015
Niaja dont like card reader, a new technology to checkmate rigging but they move about with sophiscated phone..iphone phantom ,BlackBerry etc
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by LordMecuzy(m): 7:48am On Feb 18, 2015
Then if Nigerians love technology and we are acquiring technologies to tackle corruption... Then why is PDP scared of the New Card reader innovation

3 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ULSHERLAN(m): 7:51am On Feb 18, 2015
Now we know which party is having the intentions to rig Massively

3 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by sniperwolf(m): 7:55am On Feb 18, 2015
The card reader won't operate itself, it would be operated by humans. The operator has 80% stake in the anti-rigging process
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by femicyrus(m): 7:55am On Feb 18, 2015
Gej now have a clue of a pending defeat

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Rawani: 7:57am On Feb 18, 2015
OP kindly space your post for easy reading.

Ishilove, Obinoscopy, lalasticlala, Seun please move this informative thread to the FP to enlighten the electorate.

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by babs01(m): 7:58am On Feb 18, 2015
But PDP is complainning of it
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by seunfly: 8:01am On Feb 18, 2015
Well PDP does not want the so called card reader yet they claimed to be committed to free and fair election.

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by egift(m): 8:20am On Feb 18, 2015
With the Card Reader, all non-INEC issued PVCs cannot be used. But are against it so that they can smuggle in people with their fake pvc to come and cast votes for PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by danot1030: 8:36am On Feb 18, 2015
Pdp depends on nothing but rigging the election.

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by josieboy55(m): 8:45am On Feb 18, 2015
sniperwolf:
The card reader won't operate itself, it would be operated by humans. The operator has 80% stake in the anti-rigging process

ODE , the operator cannot manipulate the card reader , it has already been programmed .

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by amsad19(m): 8:46am On Feb 18, 2015
pd-pigs
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 18, 2015
kenonze:
Niaja dont like card reader, a new technology to checkmate rigging but they move about with sophiscated phone..iphone phantom ,BlackBerry etc
The question is why is Jega collaborating with apc to deprive some sections or regions in nigeria from getting the pvc cards? So who is truely afraid of the pvc? Certainly not PDP but apc.

1 Like

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by emiye(m): 8:49am On Feb 18, 2015
I thought GEJ said he will curb corruption with technology, why is PDP then afraid of a card reader.

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by richybanky(m): 8:59am On Feb 18, 2015
masterpower:

The question is why is Jega collaborating with apc to deprive some sections or regions in nigeria from getting the pvc cards? So who is truely afraid of the pvc? Certainly not PDP but apc.
Pls read ur post again

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Demdem(m): 9:16am On Feb 18, 2015
Yet Jonah-daft cocck suckers wouldn't want this good initiative to succeed.

3 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 18, 2015
resty4:

“The way INEC has designed the Card Reader, it will only take a community conspiracy for the system to be manipulated and if that happens there is nothing anybody can do about it and it will not be the fault of INEC because it is designed in such a way that it is unique. Number one it has a voice prompt which will speak out loudly from the speaker if a voter is accredited or not the moment the finger print is placed on it.”http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/inecs-card-reader-the-game-changer/
This is trash. I was hoping to hear how "unverified voters" will be stopped to vote by this system but alas, INEC has transferred this very important part of the process to humans who will readily and easily be compromised. A simple script in the program can make it impossible for the unverified to cast their illegal votes. Also, I hope the system will keep the record of unverified and verified voters separate to enable a good audit after the election incase of mago mago.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by 9jatriot(m): 10:03am On Feb 18, 2015
janus05:
This is trash. I was hoping to hear how "unverified voters" will be stopped to vote by this system but alas, INEC has transferred this very important part of the process to humans who will readily and easily be compromised. A simple script in the program can make it impossible for the unverified to cast their illegal votes. Also, I hope the system will keep the record of unverified and verified voters separate to enable a good audit after the election incase of mago mago.

Hope you understand the process itself? the card reader is simply for identification and not for voting. The card reader will determine if the official will give you d ballot paper or not, so pray tell me how a simple script can be used to stop a human from giving another human the ballot paper despite being rejected by the card reader?
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Creamz(m): 10:36am On Feb 18, 2015
Card readers should be used period. With that the number of voters can really be checked. The excess ballot papers can not be used to thumb print, and the number of voters in a polling unit can never be more than the number the machine captured

3 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ozo13(m): 10:46am On Feb 18, 2015
sniperwolf:
all strategy the rigger will think about will not work.only the number of card the stuff verified that will b there.if the ballot paper now exceed that of the amount verified by the card reader, inec said the first thing they will do is to arrest the returning officer of that polling centre.nice move.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by millhouse: 10:47am On Feb 18, 2015
k

9jatriot:

Hope you understand the process itself? the card reader is simply for identification and not for voting. The card reader will determine if the official will give you d ballot paper or not, so pray tell me how a simple script can be used to stop a human from giving another human the ballot paper despite being rejected by the card reader?
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ozo13(m): 10:48am On Feb 18, 2015
9jatriot:

sniperwolf:
all strategy the rigger will think about will not work.only the number of card the stuff verified that will b there.if the ballot paper now exceed that of the amount verified by the card reader, inec said the first thing they will do is to arrest the returning officer of that polling centre.nice move.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by paulolee(m): 10:59am On Feb 18, 2015
hmmmmm.....Naija must still b Naija ....
i can bet ma last penny dt d xo called card reader won't n can't stop riqqin if d politicuans still wana riqq d poll
abeq make dem no brinq any disaqreement or issues wea qo lead to anoda CHANGE of election date coz APC qoons don respect dierselves cool down abt d shouting n demanding of CHANGE after dea chanqe d date unlike b4 wen d date b feb... bk to d topic
**d card reader chanqes nutin n won't b dt efficient, sufficient n effective in all 36 states,
** it can lead or b one of d key issues of political violence...for example - if d card reader isnt availiable in an APC owned state n PDP wins in DT APC owned stated, d wicked n frustrated leaders wud simply put d blame on d unavailability of d card reader n brainwash d poor n hopeless youths leadinq to violence...
** card reader or no card reader,d election must n wud continue being rigged coz Nigeria has failed as a country n corruption has eaten very deep into d systems coz its a country wr
**u must av god fathers to qet to d top
**corruption is not a crime
**d rich gets richer n d poor gets poorer n hopeless
**education isn't even a legacy coz certificate can easily b forged
------- reading d topic reminds mi of dis joke----
a finger printing thief scanning machine was produced in china by d best n different scientists around d world to b used to detect criminals in some countries in d space of 3 months...
was tested in China n it scanned n cauqht 59,000 thieves within 3 months
was brought to Spain n it caught 74,000 thieves
was taken to USA n it caught 95,000 thieves
was taken to south Africa n it caught 54,000 thieves
and dea finally remembered DT Nigeria is d giant of Africa n dey brought d machine here.....d first probs was dt d normal 3 months was extended to 9 months and after d 9 months dea discovered dt D MACHINE HAS BIN STOLEN.....NAIJA I HAIL O
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 18, 2015
9jatriot:

thank you for the insight. So what happens when the official and some collaborators choose to ignore the result of the card readers? I guess they would hand you the ballot paper and you'll be home free. Is there a way for us to audit and find out that you as an unverified voter actually voted?
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by owobokiri(m): 11:09am On Feb 18, 2015
A computer generated card can easily be manipulated, simulated or configurated to arrive at predetermined goals depending on who is INSTRUCTING the device! This is a good idea. The problem is that it hasn't been tested before so the reliability is in question. I will suggest we push its use to the next general elections after this one, maybe next 4 years while INEC runs a very serious and rigourous check to ensure its reliability and compartibility to the Nigerian environment.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by luvinhubby(m): 11:19am On Feb 18, 2015
Why embrace card reader to checkmate election rigging, why not arrest & throw riggers into prison or better still, have them executed.
GEJ advocating using technology to stop corruption & APC is bringing Buhari to jail corrupt people.

CARD READERS HAVE JUSTIFIED GEJ's STAND, YOU DO NOT FIGHT CORRUPTION, YOU PREVENT IT.

I go with card readers & i go with GEJ till 2019.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ayukdaboss(m): 11:31am On Feb 18, 2015
janus05:
thank you for the insight. So what happens when the official and some collaborators choose to ignore the result of the card readers? I guess they would hand you the ballot paper and you'll be home free. Is there a way for us to audit and find out that you as an unverified voter actually voted?
Bros I was confused before until I sat down with an INEC staff to get briefing.
Step 1: Take PVC to the polling booth
Step 2: Insert your PVC into the reader...once you're verified you go and cast your vote.
Step 3: The Card Reader takes record of all verified people and automatically sends same to INEC Database
Step 4: During auditing and counting of votes, if it is noticed that for a particular booth, the number of votes cast exceeds the number of verified voters for that particular booth, results from that polling booth will be cancelled.
Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ayukdaboss(m): 11:35am On Feb 18, 2015
luvinhubby:
Why embrace card reader to checkmate election rigging, why not arrest & throw riggers into prison or better still, have them executed.
GEJ advocating using technology to stop corruption & APC is bringing Buhari to jail corrupt people.

CARD READERS HAVE JUSTIFIED GEJ's STAND, YOU DO NOT FIGHT CORRUPTION, YOU PREVENT IT.

I go with card readers & i go with GEJ till 2019.
But Jonathan and the party you support are opposing the use of the card readers. I'm surprised you're not aware...so will you still vote for Jonathan?

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-pdp-reject-card-reader-for-election/

2 Likes

Re: Inec’s Card Reader: The Game Changer by ManUtdholic: 11:37am On Feb 18, 2015
2undexy:
Brilliant move there....I think this is an excellent strategy to stop rigging and manipulation of votes in Nigeria
Yes I agree
But d problem is on d election day don't be surprised if d reader didn't work /properly

The same way their computer got malwares ND virus doing reg

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram: A Defeat That Never Was.- CNN. / Abia Photos: When You Hear Ikpeazu Is Working / SE And SS Welcomes A Northerner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.