Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments (1239 Views)

Biafra Day Killings: Clo Says Army, Especially Col. Isa Adbdullahi Is On Ethnic / Peaceful Elections Going On In Rivers State Even PDP Are Voting Peacefully / Surprising : See How Nigerians Are Voting  on  Buhari's Delay In Forming A Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by shevymania(m): 2:42pm On Feb 18, 2015
Over the past 1 month a friend of mine who is a trained statistician has been taking samples of people's opinions in the social media, blogs, newspaper comments, radio comments, TV comments, all with the aim of gauging Nigerians tilt as it relates to 2015 election between Buhari and Jonathan.

His primary aim is to ascertain the role Religion and ethnicity plays in most individuals tilt. What he did was to assume the respondent's ethnic region and religion from his given name.He ignored all anonymous respondents and known politicians. As a trained statistician, the data is quite representative of the population and the margin of error is low.

From the responses and respondents, it is quite obvious that religion and tribe played 80% role in respondents tilt. 95% south south want Jonathan 65% south east want him and about 45% south west want him. On buhari s part 95% north east and west want him(i couldn't make out the difference between northeast and northwest and some north central from the respondents) and 65% of north central want him. Overwhelming majority of Muslims want Buhari, while about 60% Christians want Jonathan.

From this inference, it is sad that Nigerians still base their support for a candidate mostly on ethnic and religious sentiments. I thought support should be based on issues that has to do with governance. No people that display such religious bigotry and tribalism ever progress. we need massive reorientation as a people
Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by Chukwu94: 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
D bitter truth
Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by dealslip(f): 2:57pm On Feb 18, 2015
Having successfully destroying PDP. OBJ must be enjoying all the political affection and attention he is getting at the moment. I am just worried that OBJ and Tinubu who couldn't see eye to eye a few years ago are now best of pals singing the same song and somehow Atiku and OBJ, two sworn enemies are in the same camp endorsing a man they jointly defeated in the 2003 polls. I am confused about this kind of change where corrupt ex presidents and VP implicated in the Haliburton scam are also shouting corruption. The same Haliburton scandal that fetched a US congressman jail time. I can still stomach Buhari but the presence of these guys back in the presidency makes me jittery: Atiku, OBJ and Tinubu all in one group. Beware of this sophisticated pimps. I believe they joined the change train to protect their investments and interest. Nigerians shine your eyes, this isn't change, this is continuation. This is the reason we must be careful about politician, they become united when they smell power and money. Our participation is all they need not our contribution.
Buhari though disciplined to an extent cannot do it alone at that age. Nigeria is a lot more volatile and complex than what it used to be in the early 80s. These are the guys to advice him and place people into positions that matter. May we eventually get the change we actually wished for. Before you join them in heating up the polity ensure you get a guarantee from them that they, their children, wives, friends who have benefited from them would be the first line of defence while we follow from a distance. If they are so passionate about this democracy and want to show their full commitment then they must lead by example starting from the battle field. Since they love us so much then they must show it first by leading any protest that may occur as a result of any anomalies from the forthcoming election. Jonathan might join APC tomorrow and he would be welcomed with pomp and pageantry. Do not lose sleep or your life over them, they are only doing their jobs. Remember 3 million people died in the Civil war, there are no monuments to even recognise or appreciate the blood they sacrificed for Nigeria which unfortunately is still a country not a nation. The seams joining us are bursting at the hems due to the magnanimity and genourosity of our politician preaching division and hate. Please protect your life. Do not promote or encourage violence, Nigerians will suffer most.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by midolian(m): 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
TRUE...

AND ITS ALSO TRUE NIGERIA WAS NEVER LIKE THIS

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by SomebodyLovesMe: 3:51pm On Feb 18, 2015
The majority from SS, SE and North are no doubt voting based on tribal sentiments.

The same cannot be said of SW voters. Your findings confirm this.

SW people are less concerned about tribe and. more about who can deliver. Fact.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by horlabiyi(m): 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2015
Are you just knowing this? We yorubas voted obj then cos he's from our land. Hausas are thinking of voting for GMB cos he's a mallam. Though they are ready to kill anybody that wants to stop him from getting to Aso rock
Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by denko(m): 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
horlabiyi:
Are you just knowing this? We yorubas voted obj then cos he's from our land. Hausas are thinking of voting for GMB cos he's a mallam. Though they are ready to kill anybody that wants to stop him from getting to Aso rock
they shud go ahead BUHARI CANNOT BE NIGERIA PRESIDENT

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Voting Based On Ethnic And Religious Sentiments by horlabiyi(m): 4:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
Can Never Be
denko:
they shud go ahead BUHARI CANNOT BE NIGERIA PRESIDENT

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Aliyu Snubs Deputy, Asks Speaker To Act As Governor / Opinion: Does The Igbo Agenda Match The Realities Of Election 2015? / 'I Don't Have Any Budget Attached To My Office' - Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.