Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,533 members, 7,823,318 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) (58625 Views)

Girl Eating Noodles From A Toilet Bowl (Photo) / Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! / Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nostradamu(m): 7:48pm On Feb 23, 2015
DesChyko:

Don't be foolish, my friend. Do you think Nairaland is a gathering of kindergarten kids where you just recite whatever comes out of 'wherever you got it from' and expect everyone to nod along?
If you can't post a viable research without 'copy and paste', then buzz off!

You don't need to get verbal if you want to prove that you have something 'up there'. Lets not be epitomes of the rubbish they say: "that if you want to hide something from a black man, hide it from Deschyko" ! Oga, true this ain't no kindergarten, but try and do little research naa: ahn ahn, google dey dere. Na wah
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by 4C2215131: 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2015
Finland:
Who didn't eat ramen noodles multiple times a week during college? Unfortuantely, the habit could come with some serious health consequences: A new study from The Journal of Nutrition shows that consumption of instant noodles—precooked noodle-based meals you make by adding boiling water or heating in the microwave before eating—may increase the risk of a scary condition called cardiometabolic syndrome, which in turn can lead to heart disease, diabetes, or stroke.

Since Asian populations eat high quantities of instant noodles, Baylor University researchers looked at dietary information from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IV from 2007 to 2009. They identified two major eating patterns: the "traditional dietary pattern" (TP), high in rice, fish, veggies, fruit, and potatoes; and the "meat and fast-food pattern" (MP), high in meat, soda, fried food, and convenience foods like instant noodles and ramen. Not surprisingly, the MP was associated with higher obesity rates and bad cholesterol levels, while the TP was associated with better blood-pressure readings and a lower risk of obesity—but neither showed a clear link to the risk of developing cardiometabolic syndrome.

However, when researchers examined the numbers for instant noodle consumption in particular, they found that consuming the noodles at least twice per week was associated with a 68 percent higher incidence of metabolic syndrome among women, even after adjusting for other factors like sodium intake, estrogen use, and waist circumference. Consuming noodles once a week was associated with a 26 percent higher prevalence of the condition. This relationship didn't exist men.

Researchers think the increased risk is likely the result of the high calories, refined carbs, saturated fat, and sodium content typically found in instant noodles. Women in particular might be susceptible to these negative health effects because of hormones that affect women disproportionately and metabolic differences. For instance, the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA), found in the styrofoam containers frequently used to package instant noodles, messes with the way hormones signal messages within the body, particularly

The study does have limitations, though. For instance, the numbers from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey didn't take serving size into account, only the number of times a person consumed a given food. That said, researchers hope the study will remind people to be more mindful of their food choices. It’s important to remember many packaged foods, like instant noodles, are more like fast food—nutritionally speaking—than a home-cooked meal.

I guess y'all didn't see this post. Why can't the average Nigerian have a mind of his own, be given to intelligent research and the ability to reason analytically.

The Op opined that too much of the stuff is bad, instead of considering his assertions against a back-drop of intelligent research, y'all are bashing and taking jabs at the Op. This "herd-mentality" syndrome of the average Nigerian is sickening! As sad as it is sometimes, I think the high un-employment rate in the country is well deserved. No employer needs a "zombie" in his employ.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by plendil: 8:00pm On Feb 23, 2015
4C2215131:

I guess y'all didn't see this post. Why can't the average Nigerian have a mind of his own, be given to intelligent research and the ability to reason analytically.
The Op opined that too much of the stuff is bad, instead of considering his assertions against a back-drop of intelligent research, y'all are bashing and taking jabs at the Op. This "herd-mentality" syndrome of the average Nigerian is sickening! As sad as it is sometimes, I think the high un-employment rate in the country is well deserved. No employer needs a "zombie" in his employ.

Intelligent research you say! That you lot actually take the trash OP posted seriously is the truly sickening and deplorable case here. Someone dropped from the moon and dropped ridiculous, poorly researched, baseless assertions as facts, with ZERO SOURCES, and some seemingly educated lads are lapping up the toxic trash. SMH for una! sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
Empiree:
Jokes aside, it's true that food are now corrupted. They used to natural. They are now chemicals. Go and study this subject very well.

I wasn't joking & i don't need to study it very well cos its a known fact that preservatives and all the what not are unhealthy in the long run that's why i mentioned moderation if you read my previous comment properly

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by countsparrow: 8:16pm On Feb 23, 2015
chimimi:
Please I am a fisherman, can I make use of dat net u are wearing grin. Poor Fisherman,stay away 4rm my golden net grin!

Hahahahaha, dat was so not cool... cry
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
DesChyko:

Don't be foolish, my friend. Do you think Nairaland is a gathering of kindergarten kids where you just recite whatever comes out of 'wherever you got it from' and expect everyone to nod along?
dnt mind dese paranoid fellaz,d body count is d fisical proof..last i checkd noodles is a conservative choice 4 extra busy individuals
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by 4C2215131: 8:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
plendil:

Intelligent research you say! That you lot actually take the trash OP posted seriously is the truly sickening and deplorable case here. Someone dropped from the moon and dropped ridiculous, poorly researched, baseless assertions as facts, with ZERO SOURCES, and some seemingly educated lads are lapping up the toxic trash. SMH for una! sad

My post is not so much directed at the Op's claims as it is to the attitude of posters responding to his claims. Make an independent research to refute his claims and let the forum in on it. In the event that your case is proven it behooves the Op to retract or recant his statement. This is how intelligent people slug it out not by vague utterances or lampooning (sic) the proponent of a certain idea no matter how warped, absurd or un-intelligent the idea proferred.

Submit it to the litmus test of extensive research in a bid to get what the consensus of the scientific community with regards to what is being subjected to scientific scrutiny is and, even then always bear in mind that there is a certain state of flux in the scientific community when it comes to research and discoveries. Indeed, science itself is not an exact science.

In a nutshell, Nigerians should be given more to independent thinking.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Richhard(m): 8:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
DesChyko:

nice nerve breaking reply bro! I love it!
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nostradamu(m): 8:20pm On Feb 23, 2015
DesChyko:

If you're not documenting the details of a viable research, buzz off. That's how enemies of progress are operating, spreading rumours about a budding business. It's not about 'too know'. It's about purging Nigeria of her level of illiteracy.
Below is one of the reasons why you must verify things for yourself before 'copying and pasting'. I googled your extremely dangerous '9. Propylene Glycol' and this is what I came across.

So, before you paste that news, take your time to verify its credibility.

Oga i just feel like being on your matter, so the crap you posted there as your "proof' is exhaustive abi? And what facts do you have to prove that, even in the low concentrations it still cannot pose a risk to certain people, race, gender or probably trigger something else etc. Possibilities of damage (or not) needs to be verified further by those of us that read the post.

From the way you reason, someone like you might not bother to do any research if you are told "indomie makes people become midgets". Stop being mentally lazy, googling is your nearest educator.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 23, 2015
blaze2cool:
But like serously not withstanding ur level of undersanding do u think it is everbody that knows the facts about the TOPIC ? despite its copy and past as u mentioned, this might be new to somebody and i tell u i am not just coming across it for the fist time so just decided to share and as for you stop forming too know.OLODO
n i guess ur source is d internet where various bloggers past rubish in oder 2 gain ur traffic....anyfin gud lways cms wit a risk,i dont refute ur posts bt u urself cnt abstain 4rm such foods unless ofcourse u r jobless
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 23, 2015
runnazz:
@ op thanks for the info

salt is unhealthy
sugar is dangerous
groundnut/veg oil is unhealthy
red meat is a killer
smoked fish is bad
bush meat na ebola
white rice no longer good
Lunch meats, smoked meats, bacon, sausage and other processed meats Kills
Refined flour, found in cakes, cookies and snack foods kills u too
All fast foods,cake frosting,Microwave Popcorn,Pancakes,packaged cookies
Yogurt,Ketchup,cereals,frozen meals
alcohol is dangerous
smoking kills
too much tv/computer screens affect the sight
sex is dangerous;even with protection
coffee,tea,soda the list is endless..all get coma

na wetin man go do now,i like instant noodles but i think the key here is moderation cos if we say make we just dey follow everything when them talk life no go sweet again oo
seconded bro,,n suprisenly wen u go 2 health centres u find dat patients dere r evn extra cautious of these.......tobacco kills,its obvious bt a non smoker jst died @ 55 while a smoker of 98 is till lively....hmm

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nostradamu(m): 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2015
Finland:
Who didn't eat ramen noodles multiple times a week during college? Unfortuantely, the habit could come with some serious health consequences: A new study from The Journal of Nutrition shows that consumption of instant noodles—precooked noodle-based meals you make by adding boiling water or heating in the microwave before eating—may increase the risk of a scary condition called cardiometabolic syndrome, which in turn can lead to heart disease, diabetes, or stroke.

Since Asian populations eat high quantities of instant noodles, Baylor University researchers looked at dietary information from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IV from 2007 to 2009. They identified two major eating patterns: the "traditional dietary pattern" (TP), high in rice, fish, veggies, fruit, and potatoes; and the "meat and fast-food pattern" (MP), high in meat, soda, fried food, and convenience foods like instant noodles and ramen. Not surprisingly, the MP was associated with higher obesity rates and bad cholesterol levels, while the TP was associated with better blood-pressure readings and a lower risk of obesity—but neither showed a clear link to the risk of developing cardiometabolic syndrome.

However, when researchers examined the numbers for instant noodle consumption in particular, they found that consuming the noodles at least twice per week was associated with a 68 percent higher incidence of metabolic syndrome among women, even after adjusting for other factors like sodium intake, estrogen use, and waist circumference. Consuming noodles once a week was associated with a 26 percent higher prevalence of the condition. This relationship didn't exist men.

Researchers think the increased risk is likely the result of the high calories, refined carbs, saturated fat, and sodium content typically found in instant noodles. Women in particular might be susceptible to these negative health effects because of hormones that affect women disproportionately and metabolic differences. For instance, the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA), found in the styrofoam containers frequently used to package instant noodles, messes with the way hormones signal messages within the body, particularly

The study does have limitations, though. For instance, the numbers from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey didn't take serving size into account, only the number of times a person consumed a given food. That said, researchers hope the study will remind people to be more mindful of their food choices. It’s important to remember many packaged foods, like instant noodles, are more like fast food—nutritionally speaking—than a home-cooked meal.

Deschyko and co, where are you guys. Ignorance is bliss, this is what ya'll should do instead of hibernating mentally. Good job @op
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by blaze2cool(m): 8:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
Nostradamu:

Deschyko and co, where are you guys. Ignorance is bliss, this is what ya'll should do instead of hibernating mentally. Good job @op
My brother WORLD PEOPLE will not allow me rest because i tried to educate them on what some dont actually know by posting this topic and now them be like giving me a head up insolence.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by blaze2cool(m): 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
bidex:

na me make d post? take ya time ooo
Na me make the POST, u think i just came up with the post just like that? if i hear
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by popson1st: 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2015
OP wan spoil business for noodles..
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by kumpharm(f): 9:31pm On Feb 23, 2015
Taylor184:
Kumpharm...Come here and read this grin grin..

I'll still eat it... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
kumpharm:

I'll still eat it... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Won ti fi se e...
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by ewizard1: 9:56pm On Feb 23, 2015
hA... Why did i open this thread... I didnt know my Noodles was reading too.

I just look down and....

shocked

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by DesChyko: 10:01pm On Feb 23, 2015
Nostradamu:

Take a look at this excerpt from what you quoted for instance.. 'Styrofoam containers used to package noodles'.. What styrofoam containers? The noodles you buy here, do they come in that container? The noodles you buy, are they made from identical ingredients with the Korean noodles? Even if they are, what are the sequence of reactions that take place before such occur?
We don't live in the stone age anymore. It is only normal to seek reason in probably 'misleading' information, not just nod your head because it seemed convincing enough on surface examination.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by coldrod: 10:08pm On Feb 23, 2015
Hmmm...wht wil we eat then?
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by DesChyko: 10:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
Nostradamu:

From the way you reason, someone like you might not bother to do any research ... Stop being mentally lazy, googling is your nearest educator.

Sorry dude, you definitely aren't talking about me. I don't even 'just' google. I'm very careful about my references. And if you understood my first objection to his submissions at all, you'll probably know you shot yourself on the foot.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Dahjhi: 10:13pm On Feb 23, 2015
runnazz:
@ op thanks for the info

salt is unhealthy
sugar is dangerous
groundnut/veg oil is unhealthy
red meat is a killer
smoked fish is bad
bush meat na ebola
white rice no longer good
Lunch meats, smoked meats, bacon, sausage and other processed meats Kills
Refined flour, found in cakes, cookies and snack foods kills u too
All fast foods,cake frosting,Microwave Popcorn,Pancakes,packaged cookies
Yogurt,Ketchup,cereals,frozen meals
alcohol is dangerous
smoking kills
too much tv/computer screens affect the sight
sex is dangerous;even with protection
coffee,tea,soda the list is endless..all get coma

na wetin man go do now,i like instant noodles but i think the key here is moderation cos if we say make we just dey follow everything when them talk life no go sweet again oo
Gbega Adeboye said it all.. '''Eat Stones'''

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2015
Finland:

Can you please post a link to the research. Did you read the research and come to your own conclusion, or you you just posted the researcher's conclusion?
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nostradamu(m): 10:18pm On Feb 23, 2015
blaze2cool:
My brother WORLD PEOPLE will not allow me rest because i tried to educate them on what some dont actually know by posting this topic and now them be like giving me a head up insolence.

Oga, if you expect me to accomodate your 'pity party' na lie. I'm even surprised that you're even BOTHERED about negative comments.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
Dahjhi:
Gbega Adeboye said it all.. '''Eat Stones'''

GROSS undecided
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by neuralnets: 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
I'm not taking sides with OP but i once had serious recurring chest pains. doctors said it was due to clogged arteries and i should take aspirin every other day. I was a big fan of noodles and egg and bought it in cartons every month. I soon noticed a link between when i take noodles and when i get the chest pains. and decided to remove it from my menu... lo and behold 2 years on, i only get an occasional heart burn and no chest pains... not until sometimes ago i decided to try it again and ended up with palpitation, all night.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Coldfeet(f): 11:03pm On Feb 23, 2015
ceejay80s:

Potential cancer and kidney failure carrier,
Which one u prefare for ur poster:
Gone too soon
Obituary
Call to glory
Glorious call
Lost a gem
Fairwell
I will take the one I'll see on yours.

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Coldfeet(f): 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2015
hismond:

Your husband is so lucky, he has every reason to eat outside

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Revolva(m): 11:53pm On Feb 23, 2015
They can't stop people from eating it it's the best meal an average nigerian can ever think of...and all dem abokis n fast food vendors are using it as a big time biz..but to me this is a factful issue it's not too good to eat noodles toooo much Ooo cos it's an inorganic food
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by MightyFortress: 12:38am On Feb 24, 2015
Indomie dangers
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Nobody: 12:58am On Feb 24, 2015
Oh well, i take noodles every morning mostly because i don't take tea or anything else that contains milk... Am lactose intolerance . SO what next?
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Stop Eating Too much Instant Noodles (must See) by Empiree: 1:34am On Feb 24, 2015
runnazz:

I wasn't joking & i don't need to study it very well cos its a known fact that preservatives and all the what not are unhealthy in the long run that's why i mentioned moderation if you read my previous comment properly
Care to watch....see what i am talking about. There is a need to return to farm and eat from what the earth produces. Not processed food that are basically genetically modified. That's my point. To be honest, i didn't think you were joking. That was just sarcasm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2i90Texvg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Name For Spinach? / Guy Accidentally Pays N1.2Million For A Plate Of Amala And Soup / The New Yam I Bought 2000 Naira From My Customer With Abeg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.