Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe (31587 Views)

Suicide Bomber Attacks Borno By Chad Basin, Kills 2, Injures Others (Graphic) / Female Suicide Bomber Attacks Cattle Market Maiduguri This Morning(Graphic Pics) / Two Female Suicide Bombers Hit GSM Market, Potiskum, Yobe State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by thomasina: 1:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
UPDATE : 17 dead, 27 injured in Yobe bus blast – Witnesses, rescuers

At least 17 people were killed on Tuesday when a blast ripped through a bus in Potiskum, northeast Nigeria, witnesses and rescue workers said, in the latest violence to hit the troubled region.

The explosion happened at the Tashar Dan-Borno motor park on the outskirts of the city immediately after a man put a bag in the boot of the bus and then tried to board.

“The bus had just loaded with passengers on its way to Kano when a huge explosion happened inside the bus at exactly 11:40 am (1040 GMT),” said a driver’s union official at the bus station.

Potiskum, the commercial capital of Yobe state, has been hit repeatedly by bombings, including on Sunday, when a young girl with explosives strapped to her body blew up at a crowded market.

Thirteen dead and 31 injured were initially brought to Potiskum General Hospital after Tuesday’s blast, according to a nurse at the facility, but she added: “Four more died here.

“So, we have 17 dead and 27 people with injuries.”
The drivers’ union official said it was not immediately clear whether the man who placed the bag in the boot was a suicide bomber or whether the explosives were hidden inside it.

– ‘Bus engulfed in flames’ –

Rescue workers at the scene said that all 12 people on board the bus were killed.

The girl in Sunday’s attack which left seven people dead in Potiskum was thought to be as young as seven, according to multiple witnesses.
Boko Haram Islamists have increasingly used young girls and women as human bombs, with so-called “soft targets” such as markets and bus stations hit regularly.
Both bombings again underlined the severe security challenges facing Nigeria in the run-up to presidential and parliamentary elections on March 28.
The elections were initially scheduled for February 14 but were delayed by six weeks to give the military and its allies more time to secure and stabilise the northeast to allow people to vote.
Waziri Danu, who lives in the area, said of the latest bombing: “I was at a car wash nearby when I heard a huge explosion and saw volleys of fire and smoke coming from the motor park.
“I and people around rushed to the place and we saw a bus engulfed in flames… It is not likely if anyone in the vehicle has survived.”
Another driver, who also asked not to be identified, said: “We were taking turns to load when this man came. He appeared to be in a hurry.
“He asked if the bus was going to Kano. I said yes. But before he could be screened he dropped his bag in the boot among other luggage and just made to enter the bus.
“Some people tried to restrain him for the screening but then there was an explosion.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/17-dead-27-injured-in-yobe-bus-blast-witnesses-rescuers/

A blast ripped through a bus in Potiskum, Yobe state, on Tuesday. The explosion happened at the Tashar Dan-Borno motor park, on the outskirts of the city but rescuers could not immediately determine the number of casualties.

“The bus had just loaded with passengers on its way to Kano when a huge explosion happened inside the bus at exactly 11:40 am ” said a driver’s union official at the bus station. “We still don’t know how many people were affected. We are waiting for the fire to be put out before we can have a figure of casualty”, he added.

However, other eyewitnesses reported that they saw up to 12 bodies being brought out of the burnt bus. “For now we have 13 dead and they have taken 17 others to hospital. The death toll may change,” said a drivers’ union official. The official and another driver both said the blast happened after a man put a bag in the boot of the bus and then tried to board the vehicle before he could go through a security check.
Called to mind is the blast on Sunday, when a young girl with explosives strapped to her body blew up at a crowded market. Seven people were killed in the blast, which again underlined the severe security challenges facing Nigeria in the run-up to presidential and parliamentary elections on March 28.

Waziri Danu, who lives in the area, said of the latest bombing: “I was at a car wash nearby when I heard a huge explosion and saw volleys of fire and smoke coming from the motor park.b”I and people around rushed to the place and we saw a bus engulfed in flames…. It is not likely if anyone in the vehicle has survived.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/blast-rips-through-a-bus-in-yobe/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by quixotic: 1:13pm On Feb 24, 2015
ít has become a re occuring feature of our daìly lives in nigerìa to hear such. How so sad. Those who support pdp after 16years of poverty , bloodshed and corruption beat my imagination. Those who under estìmate terrorism and play politics with the lives of nigerians will know no peace,

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by doctokwus: 1:14pm On Feb 24, 2015
Don't even understand all this.Desperation for retention of power has caused politicisation of almost everything and everybody.
How can d same Bharam d military is claiming to b bombarding in sambisa forest,has killed several hundreds be still able to organise suicide bombers weekly in Yobe state shocked cool

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by warrior01: 1:22pm On Feb 24, 2015
doctokwus:
Don't even understand all this.Desperation for retention of power has caused politicisation of almost everything and everybody.
How can d same Bharam d military is claiming to b bombarding in sambisa forest,has killed several hundreds be still able to organise suicide bombers weekly in Yobe state shocked cool
You must be an APC supporter. The way you guys reason in your lust for power is beyond human comprehension. Why is it paining you that our military is whooping the ass of Boko haram? All you guys do and pray daily is for boko haram to continue to terrorize Nigerians in order to use it against Gej but God pass una. To all these wicked and unpatriotic souls, tufiakwa!

123 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Godfullsam(m): 1:31pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nawa oh shocked shocked shocked
When will all these rubbish stop
People are dying everyday like chicken...
God pls help us oh!
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by otijah(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
And still they say they are winning, please can someone eplain to me how these soldiers are winning?
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by trisha01(f): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
saddddd
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by LewisO: 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
*It is well with my soul*

Both parties should come sort these issues out together, in the progress of the country. They should stop fighting for unnecessary things and help the nation.

6 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by jerflakes(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
[size=15pt]I just put myself in the scenario.

I'm in a bus, thinking of what I'll do when I get to my destination.

All of a sudden, I'm in another realm.

The 'good' thing about bombs is that it happens so fast, just like a headshot.

You will not know you're dead.

RIP to the deceased.
[/size]

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
rip
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by ellguapo: 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
Before goats on both end start to bleat, life of the innocents sacrificed in this menace shall hunt both of your sponsors embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Vitaglyde: 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
May their souls rest in peace

2 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
REGARDLESS of whatever evil is done AGAINST US.....NIGERIA shall STILL STAND.

3 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by ozoigbondu: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
Can we just ban the greatest bomb concealer hijab and rigorous search every female in the north i bet you the rate of sucidie bombing will reduce

Anyways RIP to the dead your God loves you more

24 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Burger01(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
Jonathan!!! Smh.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by dstnd: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
wetin concern pdp or apc in ds ? we better come together and fight ds .

4 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by mustaphagreens(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
Englishmart call your boys to order sad
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2015
doctokwus:

Read all about unconventional warfare.....and then think again

Essentially, Boko Haram is made up of a covert/unconventional arm and a conventional warfare arm. The unconventional warfare arm is essentially made up of several terror cells, which can be activated by a controller, and which can operate independently of the central group.

Infact terror groups and guerrilla forces prefer the unconventional route to the conventional route....because when you fight conventionally, you lose lots of guys. When you fight unconventionally....you can spread terror everywhere....and lose relatively few people.

That is why it took the US 10 years to get out of Iraq....because the forces resisting them immediately transitioned from a ''mass army'''into a series of cells...operating independently from each other. This is Al Qaeda's preferred tactic (and if you recall Boko is affiliated to and has received assistance and training from Al-Qaeda's North African branch. ).

Infact, if YOU were the leader of a terror/rebel group....you would prefer to use the cells tactic than the open warfare tactic....because if you rely on the open warfare tactic too much....you will lose. To use a local example....Maitatsine were eradicated easily in the 1980's because they fought conventionally (and with bows and arrows) against a well armed with guns and MiG 21 jet fighter Nigerian Army. Boko on the other hand splits into cells....and launches the odd ''behind the enemy lines'' attack....something which the Biafran Army thought about during the Civil War....but at a point where it was too late to affect the outcome.

9 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by dollarlander: 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2015
quixotic:
ít has become a re occuring feature of our daìly lives in nigerìa to hear such. How so sad. Those who support pdp after 16years of poverty , bloodshed and corruption beat my imagination. Those who under estìmate terrorism and play politics with the lives of nigerians will know no peace,

Amen in Jesus name.

It was a grand plan to leave boko haram fight till this period so that they can claim since Nigeria is at war there can be no election.

They wanted to use same propaganda during OBJ's third term agenda, when Nigeria was at war with Cameroon over Bakasi.

Every tormentors of Nigeria shall roast by fire. In Jesus name.

6 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by dstnd: 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2015
quixotic:
are u okay at all? can you govern your girlfriend for a week?

5 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Dannyset(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
God pls deliver the North East from Jonathan and his goons.

4 Likes

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by 3kay945(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
So the bokoanimals attacked at sambisa had successfully entered into the city.
Na wa o
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by simplemach(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
May the soul of the dead rest in peace.
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by atlwireles: 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
Suicide bombers angryhow old was this one? another 7 years old child?

1 Like

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by lacasa: 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
To be frank, any north-easterner that hasn't made up his/her mind to change Leadership for Security purposes especially, is a special f.ool

If Security is in shambles, every other thing comes a far second.

It's not about politics, it's about living up to duties under oath.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by dataplus87(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
cry
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by freshness2020: 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
Anaeku ozo Kane me!
Rip!
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
bad
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by greall12(m): 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
R.I.P
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by bastien: 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
Eyah.......
Re: Suicide Bomber Attacks Potiskum, Yobe by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
Na them sabi

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku Lines Up 400 Witnesses, Asks Tribunal To Sack Buhari, Declare Him Winner / Akin Alabi Reacts To Sowore’s Rearrest By DSS / Beneficiaries Of FG'S Social Investment Program Receiving Their 5,000 (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.