Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections (1080 Views)

Boko Haram Releases Photos Of Attack On Soldiers & Equipment Seized From Them / Niger Delta Avengers Condemns Attack On Soldiers, Vows To Fish Out Killers / Rivers PDP Insists Wike Still Governor, Tribunal Judgement Notwithstanding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by josnig1980(f): 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
he Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday insisted that soldiers must be deployed in the forthcoming general elections to guarantee safety of voters, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials and election materials.

The main opposition party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), has expressed reservations over the use of military personnel, claiming that such deployment was a breach of the 1999 Constitution and the Electoral Act.

Justice R.M. Aikawa of the Federal High Court, Sokoto in a judgment on January 29, 2015, had barred the use of soldiers in the conduct of elections. Also, Justice Abdul-Aboki of the Court of Appeal in a suit arising from the APC petition against Ekiti State election won by Governor Ayodele Fayose, ruled that the use of Armed Forces in the conduct of elections was a breach of both the Constitution and the electoral law.

The Justice Aboki-led five-man panel submitted that the use of Armed Forces in the conduct of elections was in violation of Section 217(2)(c) of the Constitution and Section 1 of the Armed Forces Act.

Addressing newsmen yesterday in Abuja, Director of Media and Publicity of the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation, (PDPPCO), Femi Fani-Kayode, alleged that the APC was squealing against deployment of military in the forthcoming general elections so as to perfect its rigging machinery and unleash violence on voters.

Fani-Kayode, former Aviation Minister, also dismissed the controversial audio footage on the Ekiti governorship election.

“The attempt by the APC to discredit the use of soldiers by promoting some misleading audio footage of the so-called rigging during the Ekiti governorship election, in which one Captain Sagir Koli was the dramatis personae, is childish and absurd.

“The Federal Government deployed soldiers in the Anambra, Edo, Ondo, Ekiti and Osun gubernatorial elections and all those polls were devoid of violence.

“Remarkably, the APC won in Edo and Osun; APGA won in Anambra, Labour Party won in Ondo while PDP won only in Ekiti State. The basis on which the APC is agitating for the exclusion of soldiers from the election by sponsoring court cases is patently dubious and untenable.

“The reason that the APC and its leaders do not want soldiers deployed is to be able to intimidate voters and unleash violence on the polity once they lose the elections.

“They know that it would be far more difficult for them to do that when soldiers are on the streets. With these dishonourable tactics and desperate acts by the APC, we are the ones who should be worried and who should be complaining but, unlike Buhari and the APC, our patience is not running out because we are committed to a peaceful election and we completely reject the option of violence.”

Asked by reporters on whether the government would ignore the pronouncement of the justices which frowned on military deployment, Fani-Kayode said government would seek the legal opinion of the Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke (SAN).

Fani-Kayode said: “The President is a law-abiding citizen. I know this government will not work against court judgment. We are a law abiding government, but moreover, I will allow the AGF to speak on the matter.”

He also expressed concern over recent remarks of the APC presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari which he said were inciting.

“In addition to this, the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation wishes to take this opportunity to draw the attention of the Nigerian people and members of the international community to the subtle threat of violence in a statement by General Muhammadu Buhari at the APC stakeholders’ meeting in Abuja on Tuesday.

According to Fani-Kayode, General Buhari said the patience of the APC and its leaders were on test. “One wonders what he means by that and what he and his supporters intend to do once that patience runs out. In an AFP news report of Friday, February 6, 2015, he was asked if he would accept the outcome of the presidential election no matter how unfavourable. Listen to his answer: “I am not going to lose; so, I won’t answer that question.” Again, only yesterday, Wednesday, February 18, 2015, in an interview on ARISE Television, General Buhari was asked what his reaction would be if he loses the election. His answer was: “We shall see,” he Fani-Kayode said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=105632
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 24, 2015
In case
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Maccoy1(m): 3:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
I don't know why Apc keep opposing rights nd defending evil...
If the election had taken place so many people would have been disenfranchise inec was no where prepaid, but yet they were still screaming like bats that election should hold...
Nigeria is full of tension now as we speak, the best thing to do is use the military to ensure peace...but Apc keeps screaming shit, what is their problem...what kinda change are they talking about...if i don't see 3 or 4 soldiers at the polling unit am not moving an inch..
Now let them
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Splashme: 3:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
[size=20pt]No soldiers, No elections[/size]

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Caseless: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
That's the new opposition party in Nigeria speaking.
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Caseless: 3:51pm On Feb 24, 2015
Maccoy1:
[s]I don't know why Apc keep opposing rights nd defending evil...
If the election had taken place so many people would have been disenfranchise inec was no where prepaid, but yet they were still screaming like bats that election should hold...
Nigeria is full of tension now as we speak, the best thing to do is use the military to ensure peace...but Apc keeps screaming shit, what is their problem...what kinda change are they talking about...if i don't see 3 or 4 soldiers at the polling unit am not moving an inch..
Now let them[/s]
shut the trap and save us this grunge!!

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by patrickmuf(m): 3:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
I choose to listen to the constitution regarding the issues surrounding the deployment of soldiers for the election and yes the constitution doesn't support it... FFK can go to hell or join his colleagues at yaba left...

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by tyson99(m): 3:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
I don't know why these pdpi.gs are just afraid
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by orinocopulse: 4:11pm On Feb 24, 2015
The rate of ignorance in Nigeria is at an all-time low. It's all gone to the dogs!!

There is a high court ruling that clearly states that the military have no role to play in the elections. What the PDP should do is appeal that ruling or something. How can the President be leading by example by outrightly going against that ruling (if he plans to).

That, said, in America or other western countries, boy's scout can even oversee elections because there is a minimal chance of violence. BUT THIS IS NIGERIA!! I think that the military is needed to forestall violence as much as possible. The APC's points are valid (use of military to rig and possible voter apathy) but I think all in all, to save lives, let the soldiers help protect! But it should be down the proper way. Don't go against the rule of law!

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Violence is only likely to occur where elections are rigged and overwhelming majority of people feel cheated and disenfranchised.
orinocopulse:
The rate of ignorance in Nigeria is at an all-time low. It's all gone to the dogs!!

There is a high cut ruling that clearly states that the military have no role to play in the elections. What the PDP should do is appeal that ruling or soomething. How can the President be leading by example by outrightly going against that ruling (if he plans to).

That, said, in America or other western countries, boy's scout can even oversee elections because there is a minimal chance of violence. BUT THIS IS NIGERIA!! I think that the military is needed to forestall violence as much as possible. The APC's points are valid (use of military to rig and possible voter apathy) but I think all in all, to save lives, let the soldiers help protect! But it should be down the proper way. Don't go against the rule of law!

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by alaoeri: 6:34pm On Mar 05, 2015
Since PDP can't even conduct a free & fair primaries, that's why they are afraid of the general election looking for all possible means to rig.

1 Like

Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by orinocopulse: 6:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
GenBuhari:
Violence is only likely to occur where elections are rigged and overwhelming majority of people feel cheated and disenfranchised.

Fair enough. But with with Niger delta militants threatening war if GEJ loses (not if he is rigged out) you know violence is almost bound to happen, regardless. Regardless of how free and fair it is, people who lose may still incite followers and give the impression that there were massive irregularities.

So solution: Keep the Army at strategic points away from the ACTUAL electoral process. They should particularly be in hot spots like Rivers state. My 2 cents
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by Nobody: 1:33am On Mar 06, 2015
I doubt GEJ could win in the Niger Delta.
Asari would need .fight that war on his own
orinocopulse:

Fair enough. But with with Niger delta militants threatening war if GEJ loses (not if he is rigged out) you know violence is almost bound to happen, regardleGess. Regardless of how free and fair it is, people who lose may still incite followers and give the impression that there were massive irregularities.

So solution: Keep the Army at strategic points away from the ACTUAL electoral process. They should particularly be in hot spots like Rivers state. My 2 cents
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by orinocopulse: 1:40am On Mar 06, 2015
GenBuhari:
I doubt GEJ could win in the Niger Delta.
Asari would need .fight that war on his own

Lol. That one is a citizen of Benin Republic. And has schools and assets there. He stated this clearly on national TV ( not rumours) so I feel sorry for anyone who heeds his "cries of war". Lol. He has a home to run to if anything happens God forbid.
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by emeka2847: 1:43am On Mar 06, 2015
Ekitigate on my mind.
So why do we have courts in Nigeria? For the masses and APC to obey?
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by nzeadachie: 2:06am On Mar 06, 2015
ASKING BUHARI ONE THING AND HE'S ANSWERING ANOTHER THING, SOMEBODY SHOULD TELL THE MAN THAT HE AND HIS ENTIRE FAMILY WILL NEVER LIVE IF HE REPEAT WHAT HE DID IN 2011, UNLESS IF HE CAN ONLY KILL HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS INCLUDING ROCHAS AND AMAECHI THIS TIME AROUND IF NOT HMMMMM, MIND HIM THAT EASTERNERS ARE ALL OVER THE WORLD THAT MEANS THAT HE AND HIS FAMILY ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE IN THIS WORLD WITHOUT SEEING EASTERNERS, GOODLUCK MUST RULE NIGERIA TILL 2019 OR NO NIGERIA, ISAID MUST! MUST!! MUST!!!
Re: PDP Insists On Soldiers For Elections by menesheh(m): 2:22am On Mar 06, 2015
It is just inevitable

(1) (Reply)

Pvc Card Vin Numbers Is Been Collected In Awka Anambra State Now / How Many Of You Know This Chewable Gum And Shoe(photo) / Tinubu’s Claims On Interim Govt. “baseless” — Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.