Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections (2566 Views)

Bayelsa Guber: APC Cloning Pvcs For Election – Dickson / PDP Buying PVCs For 10,000 Naira Each - Says APC / Three Arrested Over Mass Purchase Of PVCs In Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pring: 11:19pm On Feb 24, 2015
Affidavits filed by Nigeria’s Attorney General Mohammed Bello Adoke and just leaked to SaharaReporters reveal a stealth and controversial attempt by President Goodluck Jonathan’s government to undermine the use of permanent voter cards (PVCs) in the country’s forthcoming elections.

Judicial sources, who leaked the affidavits to SaharaReporters, said the documents show that Mr. Adoke is opposed to efforts by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct free and fair elections using an updated electronic voters register and permanent voter cards.

At campaign stumps and interviews, President Jonathan has touted the adoption of PVCs as part of his legacy to ensure the empowerment of Nigerian voters, stating that the initiative would eliminate lapses in past elections. But affidavits filed by Mr. Adoke, a longtime confidante of Mr. Jonathan’s, reveal a surreptitious scheme to undermine the use of PVCs.

In one of the affidavits, Mr. Adoke, who is also Nigeria’s Minister of Justice, argued, “if the election is conducted majorly with the use of Permanent Voters’ Card, the constitutional right of the many eligible voters would be taken away from them.”

The affidavit also argued that the election “is likely to be unsuccessful if rigid use of the Permanent Voters’ Card is carried out.”

A second affidavit, also leaked to SaharaReporters, stated, “the use of card readers and/ or any other machine at the general elections must encourage eligible voters to vote without being deprived in any way.”

INEC chairman Attahiru Jega recently stated that the use of PVCs would not be to cast votes but to validate and authenticate the votes cast. The distinction, he said, was that the PVCs and card readers would prevent electoral manipulation by acting as a checking mechanism.

An INEC source told SaharaReporters that, without these electronic verification mechanisms, the presidential and other elections could be severely compromised.

Mr. Adoke’s affidavits, which are dated February 23, 2015, expose yet another attempt by President Jonathan’s associates to use incessant lawsuits to disrupt electoral processes decided on and announced by INEC several years ago.

SaharaReporters had revealed that cronies of Mr. Jonathan had filed some 15 lawsuits aimed at once again scuttling the presidential election now scheduled for March 28, 2015.

The affidavits by Mr. Adoke represent a new twist in the familiar plot, one legal source in Abuja told SaharaReporters. “The office of the Attorney General of the Federation has aligned itself with many litigants who are determined to use the courts to either scuttle the elections or stop INEC from using the best tools to prevent or drastically reduce rigging in this year’s elections. The use of rigging-proof electronic voter cards, which the AGF is now challenging, is an ominous sign,” said the source, a senior advocate of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
Attahiru Jega has tried to shape the outcome of the election via distribution of PVC. I will not be surprised if this true.

Let the people vote and if the PVC will disenfranchise Nigerians willing vote then it is better off cancelled!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by shaqhead: 11:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
We cant put nothin way beyond ds folks...if anyone believe they want credible elections, then u sure can believe anythin! If d incumbent feels he has delivered n he is confident in his performance, y gt goose bumps n lily livered over wat he commisioned tax payers money for? Let's c where ds all leads but at d end of d day Justice must be served.
Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
Ahhh!!

So this is the plan of GEJ and PDP...that's why they all rushed to join the suit.

Well..the good news is:

According to the Electoral Act, No court has the power to advise INEC on how to carry out its function.

The only thing the court can do is make sure INEC is not contravening the consitution.

And in this clear matter, the use of PVC and Card Reader is merely for identification and no law in Nigeria prohibits scrutinisation and verification. {Pls read section 49 subsection 1 and 2 in the 4th schedule of the 2010 Electoral Act}

Also feel free to peruse section 16 subsection 4 of the same Act.

And also, INEC has made it clear, if you have no fingers, an incidence form is opened and you are free to be assisted to vote as usual.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Kennywills7(m): 11:34pm On Feb 24, 2015
Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 24, 2015
soe:
Ahhh!!

So this is the plan of GEJ and PDP...that's why they all rushed to join the suit.

Well..the good news is:

Accordong to the Electoral Act, No court has the power to advise INEC on how to carry out its function.

The only thing the court can do is make sure INEC is not contravening the consitution.

And in this clear matter, the use of PVC and Card Reader is merely for identification and no law in Nigeria prohibits scrutinisation and verification.

And also, INEC has made it clear, if you have no fingers, an incidence form is opened and you are free to be assisted to vote as usual.
please quote which section of electoral act says this?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by p3ndy79: 11:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
Tot some brainless idiots on NL have been shouting GEJ till 2019. Idiotic nonentities with no electoral value wil be here screaming their head off as if Jega is their father so they are sureof victory for the clueless man.

Why is he scared of a technological backed election that will expose rigging? If the clueless man thinks he deserves reelection based on his performance he shoildnt be running helter skelter kneeling and begging every pastor, oba and market urchins to retain power.

Let see how he will win with PVCs and Card readers authenticating every vote cast.

All PDP supporters here on NL I say rest in peace in advance.

INEC will use PVC and card readers so ADoke and jonaTAN with their supporters can start crying from now onward.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by ElFenomeno1: 11:54pm On Feb 24, 2015
mikeansy:
Attahiru Jega has tried to shape the outcome of the election via distribution of PVC. I will not be surprised if this true.

Let the people vote and if the PVC will disenfranchise Nigerians willing vote then it is better off cancelled!
Utter nonsense.
You sound like a frigging foolish scumbag.
I pray the PVC wont be cancelled.
You will follow your master to Otueke. Be prepared

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by itetemi: 11:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
is this what a man that should stand for the law be doing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
They can't win in a free and fair election.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by nzeadachie: 11:59pm On Feb 24, 2015
GOOD TINUBU WILL SOON CHOP THOSE NONE INDIGENE'S PVC HE SEIZED IN LAGOS

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pendy79: 12:03am On Feb 25, 2015
If JonaTAN and PDP thinks Jega is a pushover they better start plan C, Jega is a no nonsense activist and union leader, he was a former ASUU president and he has Prof. abubakar Momoh of LASU in his think tank, Prof Momoh is the brain behind PVC and card reader usage in the next election. jega and momoh were president and treasurer of ASUU at same time and you can't but marvel at the brains of the 2.

Nothing will stop the usage of PVC and Card readers this year, the voodoo vote of 99.9% for JonaTAN in the south east amd south south in 2011 will be unravel this year. They thought 4years was too far away not knowing 4years is just but a day. 2weeks gone out of the 6 weeks they wish won't come, they deceive themselves.

We are waiting patiently, APC joining the suit wasn't for fun making, Nigerians are wiser and the opposition is stronger amd more cohesive. no hiding place for the clueless daft one and his bunch of idiotic supporters on NL who thinks election will be won by slogans and bribes.

If PDP and his minions of lousy and brainless supporters are confident of winning, why are they scared of a TECHNOLOGY DRIVEN ELECTION PROCESS?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 25, 2015
pendy79:
If JonaTAN and PDP thinks Jega is a pushover they better have start plan C, Jega is a no nonsense activist and union leader, he was a former ASUU president and he has Prof. abubakar Momoh of LASU in his think tank, Prof Momoh is the brain behind PVC and card reader. jega and momoh were president and treasurer of ASUU at same time and you can't but marvel at the brains of the 2.

Nothing will stop the usage of PVC and Card readers this year, the voodoo vote of 99.9% for JonaTAN in the south east amd south south in 2011 will be unravel this year. They thought 4years was too far away not knowing 4years is just but a day. 2weeks gone out of the 6 weeks they wish won't come, they deceive themselves.

We are waiting patiently, APC joining the suit wasn't for fun making, Nigerians are wiser amd the opposition is stronger amd more cohesive. no bidding place for the clueless daft one and his bunch of idiotic supporters on NL who thinks election will be won by slogans and bribes.

INEC is an independent body that should be left alone to perform its duty. They never knew the election won't be possible to rig until around February 2nd. The moment they understood what is at stake, they started throwing tantrum.

This election must hold with card reader whether Jonathan likes it or not.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pendy79: 12:11am On Feb 25, 2015
sincerenigerian:

INEC is an independent body that should be left alone to perform its duty. They never knew the election won't be possible to rig until around February 2nd. The moment they understood what is at stake, they started throwing tantrum.

This election must hold with card reader whether Jonathan likes it or not.

They underestimated Jega to their peril, he has given them an uppercut they can never recover from. iNEC has secured the support of both national assembly and the EU are the sponsor of the PVC and Card reader technology. JonaTAN the thief told us he is fighting corruption with technology but he is scared of using technology to conduct an election.

The guy and his supporters are just clowns

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:14am On Feb 25, 2015
pendy79:

They underestimated Jega to their peril, he has given them an uppercut they can never recover from. iNEC has secured the support of both national assembly and the EU is the one sponsor of the PVC and Card reader technology. JonaTAN the thief told is he is fighting corruption with technology but he is scared of using technology to conduct an election.

The guy and his supporters are just clowns

I heard from a senate insider today that they have plan to scuttle the election by March 19 through one Yoruba judge. I learnt disqualification of Buhari and cancellation of PVC usage are of the two plans they have but most of the senators are against such thing.

It is going to be an interesting three weeks to come.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by StOla: 12:14am On Feb 25, 2015
The president is the foremost enemy of the state.

How much did Jim Nwobodo stole?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 25, 2015
mikeansy:

please quote which section of electoral act says this?
my dear, Electoral Act 2010
Visit
16(4)
49(1-2)
Let me know if you need a breakdown of my argument

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:29am On Feb 25, 2015
soe:
Ahhh!!

Well..the good news is:

Accordong to the Electoral Act, No court has the power to advise INEC on how to carry out its function.

And in this clear matter, the use of PVC and Card Reader is merely for identification and no law in Nigeria prohibits scrutinisation and verification.

Ode which constitution are you quoting? If they courts rule against PVCS, them no born INEC well to organize the elections using PVCS.

From the affidavit deposed ,the attorney General has got nothing to do with originating these suit.He is listed as a defendant and I wonder where Sahara reporters got their story from.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pendy79: 12:31am On Feb 25, 2015
sincerenigerian:

I heard from a senate insider today that they have plan to scuttle the election by March 19 through one Yoruba judge. I learnt disqualification of Buhari and cancellation of PVC usage are of the two plans they have but most of the senators are against such thing.

It is going to be an interesting three weeks to come.

They plot but God is the best planner. Do you think it is mere coincidence most APC leaders are in UK?

Watch and look on bro, the PDP can't undo the will of God and the wind of Change blowing all over the country.

The APC is not idle and sitting back bro.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 25, 2015
soe:
my dear, Electoral Act 2010
Visit
14(4)
49(1-2)
Let me know if you need a breakdown of my argument
That is why the courts are there to interpret the constitution. Why don't you wait for them to do their jobs. It is the courts and not you who will interpret the constitution.

Whether you like it or not whatever the courts rule will be enforced.
This was what you hypocrites were shouting during the Tambuwal defection saga.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pendy79: 12:33am On Feb 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

Ode which constitution are you quoting? If they courts rule against PVCS, them no born INEC well to organize the elections using PVCS.

From the affidavit deposed ,the attorney General has got nothing to do with originating these suit.He is listed as a defendant and I wonder where Sahara reporters got their story from.

In the gathering of intellects I implore you to keep quiet or you open your eye and read.

Are you not the chukwudi of the tambuwal saga? The one in whose house tambuwal was removed and Ihedioha installed as the new speaker.

Abeg when reasonable people are talking just stfu.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:35am On Feb 25, 2015
pendy79:

They plot but God is the best planner. Do you think it is mere coincidence most APC leaders are in UK?

Watch and look on bro, the PDP can't undo the will of God and the wind of Change blowing all over the country.

The APC is not idle and sitting back bro.

Lol so what is the big deal about APC leaders traveling to the UK?
Was that not how Abiola travelled round the world shortly after the June12 election annulment, what came out of It?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:36am On Feb 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

Chukwudi!!!
Chukwudiiiiiiii!!!!
How many taimusu deedee i cally u?

The court may sit to hear the matter, but at the end, the court would be guided (by learned Senior advocates ofcourse) to understand that it LACKS jurisdiction over purely electoral processes that are fully within the prerogative of an INDEPENDENT body called INEC and not subject to the personal vendetta of a microscopic few

I urge you to visit 49(1-2) and 16(4) as relates to the issue of PVC and Card Reader.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 25, 2015
pendy79:

In the gathering of intellects I implore you to keep quiet or you open your eye and read.

Are you not the chukwudi of the tambuwal saga? The one in whose house tambuwal was removed and Ihedioha installed as the new speaker.

Abeg when reasonable people are talking just stfu.
Ode shut up. Is Tambuwal speaker?

Did you idiots not boast that the elections would not be postponed? So finally what happened? Una never see anything yet. It is either100% PVCS distribution of TVCS would be used shikena

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 25, 2015
soe:

Chukwudi!!!
Chukwudiiiiiiii!!!!
How many taimusu deedee i cally u?

The court may sit to hear the matter, but at the end, the court would be guided (by learned Senior advocates ofcourse) to understand that it LACKS jurisdiction over purely electoral processes that are fully within the prerogative of an INDEPENDENT body called INEC and not subject to the personal vendetta of a microscopic few

If you are so sure this is how the courts will rule so what then is the essence of this childish thread?

Was it not the same ' independent' INEC that said the courts barred it from disqualifying candidates? Lol bros abeg park well jare

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

That is why the courts are there to interpret the constitution. Why don't you wait for them to do their jobs. It is the courts and not you who will interpret the constitution.

Whether you like it or not whatever the courts rule will be enforced.
This was what you hypocrites were shouting during the Tambuwal defection saga.
chuks if u dont want me to chook you with biro, leave me alone i need to prepare my affidavit..arghh

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by pendy79: 12:43am On Feb 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

Ode shut up. Is Tambuwal speaker?

Did you idiots not boast that the elections would not be postponed? So finally what happened? Una never see anything yet. It is either100% PVCS distribution of TVCS would be used shikena

Is tambuwal speaker?

Who is the speaker if tambuwal isn't?

Go and use TVC to vote in your town union chairman.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Valthegreat(m): 12:45am On Feb 25, 2015
Hmm! Nigeria politics becoming more interesting as the days go by. Am watching in a HDTV anyway.
Besides, my take is that for the fact that the coming elections is going to be more like a balanced contest no eligible Nigerian should be disenfranchised for whatever reason, not even failure in PVC distribution. So that we will go through this elections once and for all as handling the elections shabbily will portend more dangers than not holding it at all.
Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:50am On Feb 25, 2015
pendy79:

Is tambuwal speaker?

Who is the speaker if tambuwal isn't?

Go and use TVC to vote in your town union chairman.
Tambuwal is not the speaker as clarified by the honourable IGP.He is simply Alhaji Tambuwal until the courts says otherwise .

When the courts rules in favor of the TVCS go and try and stop people voting with TVCs let us see.Una still de learn. Just sit and learn the game of politics from the masters of the game PDP. Why do you think PDP is quite about the disenfranchisement of non-indigenes in Lagos? Just wait and watch the courts rule just few days to the elections

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 25, 2015
soe:
chuks if u dont want me to chook you with biro, leave me alone i need to prepare my affidavit..arghh
Ode I just busted your claim.Jega himself said courts barred them from disqualifying candidates and you the charge and bail lawyer is claiming the courts have no power over Inec smh for you

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

Ode I just busted your claim.Jega himself said courts barred them from disqualifying candidates and you the charge and bail lawyer is claiming the courts have no power over Inec smh for you
okay now i know you are incorrigible... Listen,
Jega never said the court barred him from disqualifying any candidate.

What jega said was clear enough, he said: the court is the only one that can disqualify any candidate and not INEC or anyone else has such powers..this is in fact in line with the electoral act.

The electoral act has gone a long way in seperating roles, we have the role of the security agencies, the role of the courts and the role of INEC.

Please don't quote my Professor out of context..it's uncouth

Just as only the courts have the powers to disqualify a candidate,
Same way, only INEC has the powers to choose how to execute section 49(1-2) of the electoral act as relates to voters identification and verification as well as 16(4) relating to the choice of Voters Card.

If you don't mind, I have to leave you now. Goodnight son

PS: i am not a charge n bail lawyer, but a student of engineering

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Attorney General Files Affidavits To Scuttle Use Of Pvcs For Elections by Nobody: 1:09am On Feb 25, 2015
soe:
okay now i know you are incorrigible... Listen,
Jega never said the court barred him from disqualifying any candidate.

What jega said was clear enough, he said: the court is the only one that can disqualify any candidate and not INEC or anyone else has such powers..this is in fact in line with the electoral act.

The electoral act has gone a long way in seperating roles, we have the role of the security agencies, the role of the courts and the role of INEC.

Please don't quote my Professor out of context..it's uncouth

Just as only the courts have the powers to disqualify a candidate,
Same way, only INEC has the powers to choose how to execute section 49(1-2) of the electoral act as relates to voters identification and verification as well as 16(4) relating to the choice of Voters Card.

If you don't mind, I have to leave you now. Goodnight son

PS: i am not a charge n bail lawyer, but a student of engineering

Bros your mumu no get rival.You said earlier that the courts cannot interfere with the elections as INEC is independent now the same courts can bar INEC from disqualifying candidates.

Abeg go and face your elementary calculus and leave law to the people that matter jare

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice To Yorubas / Nigeria Rice Millers Criticise Custom’s Decision To Allow Rice Importation / Buhari To Commission Super Carriage Highway In Cross River State On Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.