Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" (5352 Views)

El-Rufai Visits Man Attacked In Kaduna By Muslim Youths For Not Fasting / APC Discusses Power Struggle Between Yemi Osinbajo And Nasir El-rufai TODAY / Eid-el-kabir: I Wasnt Stoned- Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 25, 2015
That Nigeria need change is not an understatement. Every sector of our economy needs change. But one question is what kind of change do we need as a country and as a people?

1. Change From Lawlessness To Being Law Abiding:
We all want a law abiding society where the rule of law is held supreme irrespective of our emotions. Some of us were shocked when Governor Amaechi and other APC leaders promised to ignore the election tribunal and setup an alternative government should the PDP rig the 2015 election(by their own judgement). According to the words of the Chairman Chief John Oyegun in August 2014,
“The battleline has already been drawn. The APC will no longer accept any stolen mandate. We shall not recognize any government that emerges through rigging in February 2015.

“The APC will set up a new government, which will be a people’s government if the PDP rigs the 2015 presidential election. We are prepared to monitor the election and if it is eventually rigged, a new government will emerge in this country,”
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=75558
The APC repeated the same in November 2014 and January 2015. The party till date has not retracted the statement and it makes one worry about the change they preach.

If a party that has been preaching change is making repeated promise of forming illegitimate parallel government just because they believed the election was manipulated to favour the incumbent rather than go to court, then Where is the change? Should we sink deeper into such a state of lawlessness? How justified is it for one to be the complainant, the judge and the executor at the same time? What Nigeria need is not this kind of change where a group of people will publicly declare their own communique above the courts.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/apc-ups-the-ante-insists-on-parallel-government-if-election-is-rigged-/198345/

2. A Change From Undemocratic To Democratic Tenets
After the March 2011 NN24 Debate boycott by the duo of President Jonathan and VP Namadi Sambo, some of us were very mad at the President and his vice for such an inglorious act. In fact, Pastor Tunder Bakare, the CPC's VP Candidate for the election specifically said "PDP's absence is arrogance of impunity". Fast forward to 2015, the APC first announced boycott of the NEDG Organised debate citing bias and partisanship of the promoters, which to the judgement of neutrals is justifiable. However, the APC Presidential Council also announced their boycott of the ChannelsTV/ARISE TV/NPAN organised debate citing excuse that any sane mind will not just accept. The purpose of debate in any election is to tell electorates your programmes, give them reason they should thumb-print for you beyond party affiliation, and an opportunity to prove that you have better policies and programmes when placed side-by-side with the Incumbent and other contestants. I have never seen a sane society where opposition shut their doors behind anything Presidential debate and instead arrogantly opt for "Town Hall Meeting" where fellow party men and allies will be asking already known question. During the Osun guber election, Omisore boycotted the debate with incumbent Aregbesola of APC and it earned him lots of jibes. Political debate is part of democratic process, it is arrogant on the side of a party to ignore this important program.

3. A Change of The Drivers of Change:
I can recall during the period leading to the APC's Presidential Primary how some of us were routing for General Buhari to emerge flagbearer. Though everyone with his/her own reason, some of us believe that he has the assertiveness of a leader, the incorruptible record(though some think otherwise), and his zeal to serve the country. We had expected him to take charge of his party and lead the change. But what did we get? The same Buhari that debated in 2007 and 2011 due to party decision couldn't debate in 2015. The same Buhari that wouldn't tolerate inciting/treasonable statements as Head of State in 1984-85 kept mute when his party men repeatedly promised Alternative government. The same Buhari that obeyed the law and went to court in 2003, 2007(despite his party's betrayal) and 2011 couldn't offer any word when his party promise to ignore the court and setup an illegal government if by their own judgement the election was rigged. This is a pointer that he is not in charge. The VP candidate Prof. Osinbajo appears more than the Presidential Candidate Buhari. Known for his anti-corruption policies, Buhari once said he will probe past officials only for his party Chairman Mr. John Oyegun to say they have all agreed to let "by-gone be by-gone" but rather face the challenges they will meet. Gen Buhari never countered the Chairman's statement which seem to appear more like a consensus. If General Buhari cannot exert his own influence as Presidential candidate like he did during his ANPP and CPC days, what becomes of him should he get elected President? Will he be an Executive President or a Ceremonial President?

4. A Change In The Promoters of Change
Looking at the promoters of change, you will find ex-Govs, Senators, ex-VP, ex-PDP National Chairmen, ex-this and ex-that. Men that has been in leadership with little or nothing to show. Not just that, some of the incumbents who are promoters of change also need to change themselves. A government that refuses to disclose invoices to citizen and bluntly refuse to tell how monies were spent cannot be the change as seen in Lagos and Oyo specifically. A government that signed into law FAT pay for themselves and their puppeteers in the name of pension as seen in Kwara, Lagos, Rivers, Gombe, Edo States among others can never be the change. A Government that arrests peaceful LASU protesters who were demanding reduction in tuition and even charged them for "Breach of Public Peace" cannot lead a federal government where protest is bound. What we are saying is that the Movers of Change lead by example. Mere rhetoric is not enough. Change Agents in any democracy are not known for shielding friends who has allegation on their neck, rather they encourage the friends to go prove their innocence. These are the kind of change promoters we need. Not the ones that accused the President of shielding Dizani and Abba Moro while they themselves shielded Admiral Nyako before he went exile.

5. A Change Backed By Rule of Law
At the peak of Buhari's Certificate brohuaha, the APC and INEC had told whoever is unsatisfied with the document submitted by General Buhari to go to court, which is the rightful thing to do. Some people went to court which is the rightful thing to do. However, the same APC in January 29 alleged that PDP has bought a judge to disqualify Buhari. In the words of Alhaji Shehu Garba the Buhari's Campaign Spokesman
APC, in the statement, said it had it “on good authority that the kernel of the plan is to use the subterfuge of the frivolous litigation by some people to get a court pronouncement (from one of the Presidency's pliable Judges) to the effect that General Muhammadu Buhari – the APC presidential candidate – lied under oath in saying that the military had his certificate, whereas, the military had denied being in possession of the certificate.” http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/168235/1/buhari-may-be-disqualified-from-contesting-alleges.html
This is not only pathetic but unacceptable. That statement is a premeditated one that is capable of causing anarchy should the court grant the prayers of the litigants. I believe it is lawful and democratic for the APC to prepare for their defence and not heat up the polity. Nobody is above the law. Judgement could go either way as no one institute a lawsuit with hope of losing. We don't need this kind of change.

6. A Change In The Attitude of The Followers of "Change"
I believe that the followers of the change train also need change themselves. In a democracy, criticism of party politics when not in consonant with ones personal judgement should be encouraged, while thoughtful engagement with those of dissenting views should be welcomed. As humans, we are wired to view things from each our own perspective. Rather than sweep pertinent issues, followers of change train have the responsibility of seeing that things are done right by leaders and not absorb everything hook line and sinker "trusting in the judgement of party chiefs"(which could be flawed). Change followers are to show the people in the other divide why they believe there is need for change and not a "Accept change or get lost" kind of attitude. Change followers need to get influenced by the change they preach before expecting others to sign-up with their change. A Change follower that sees nothing wrong with the action of Lagos State House of Assembly when they adjourned parliamentary sitting just to go to Bourdillon Road to pledge absolute loyalty to an unelected Jagaban is not sincere about change. Change cannot exist in vacuum, it does not just come when someone assumes power, it stems from within.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 25, 2015
This Thread is by no means declaring Goodluck Jonathan and the PDP as Saints, however, since the opposition can't give us the desired change in attitude, characters and their antecedents, plus with the influx of men of questionable integrity into the opposition, it is safe to assume that we can't get any change from such a group. We can change within the Jonathan led PDP.

As usual, I will ignore every unwarranted attack on my person and won't be drawn into any e-brawl with anyone.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by haroldrich: 8:48am On Feb 25, 2015
Google pay 85$ per hour my last pay check was $8500 working 100 hours a week online. My younger brother friend has been averaging 12k for months now and he works about 22 hours a week. I cant believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do
www.jobspase.com
===============================================
Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 25, 2015
I think the last point is actually very important, these politicians capitalize on the attitude of we followers to perpetriate all their evil acts. Change should start from the grassroot and not from the top, by this way, credible leaders will be nurtured and deployed into the system.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 25, 2015
customized13:
I think the last point is actually very important, these politicians capitalize on the attitude of we followers to perpetrate all their evil acts. Change should start from the grassroot and not from the top, by this way, credible leaders will be nurtured and deployed into the system.
You see as long as people continue to encourage unpatriotic behaviours of their leaders they(leaders) will continue to act the way they do. That simply means our complaints will be revolving round a circle without getting solved

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 25, 2015
demelza:
Barcanista, Im still pleading. Connect me to the money source that is making you sing a new song.
I have about 4 weddings in March and April and it involves numerous aso ebi. Its a lot of money involved. Help na!
lolzz, this guy is ridiculously funny grin

5 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:58am On Feb 25, 2015
My guy don dey speak Spanish. Abi na Portuguese? Descartes, na which language be this?
@Topic: If there is a change that is going to stop our money from being stolen and our country getting back its dignity in the international community, those alone will make me continue to yearn for it. Buhari represents that change.

17 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Kolade354(m): 9:03am On Feb 25, 2015
This guy call barcanista is one s.t.u.p.i.d boy you are expecting a perfect opposition party when the sitting govt too is not perfect..............Where are you when asari dokubo was threatning innocent nigerians? Or when Jimi agbaje said for the unity of nigerian we should allow jonathan to use 4 more years so it is not about competence again...........If you expect opposition to build tokyo structure in nigeria when the ruling party who has used 16 years cant build one then you must be Insane...........

15 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Young03(m): 9:04am On Feb 25, 2015
Cudn't finish d readings self
barcanista,e don tey wey i been de wait 4 ur post

2 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Boland(m): 9:04am On Feb 25, 2015
It's quite obvious that PDP cannot give us the change we need. This administration is a joke because it is governed by Weak Minds....
Corruption can't be strangled if GEJ is the president because he lacks the balls to deal with it...

How do you expect change when we repeat the same thing? That's insanity to me..

My dear bro, Nigeria can only be great if corruption is eradicated and you and I both know that GEJ is not capable of that...

8 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by chimerase2: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2015
demelza:
Barcanista, Im still pleading. Connect me to the money source that is making you sing a new song.
I have about 4 weddings in March and April and it involves numerous aso ebi. Its a lot of money involved. Help na!
me too me need cash even if na APC I dnt mind na de cash tongue
Awon APC daa grin

1 Like

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by AriDsexy(f): 9:07am On Feb 25, 2015
There goes our guy....saying it the way it is

If u don't like d post,instead of name calling while not just ignore or better still don't open.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 25, 2015
barcanista:
You see as long as people continue to encourage unpatriotic behaviours of their leaders they(leaders) will continue to act the way they do. That simply means our complaints will be revolving round a circle without getting solved
same problem I have with the progressives, the level of patriotism they show to deception is alarming.

For example, Buhari has no certificate and lied under oat, yet some people are still patriotic to him, the followership of most progressives is based on hate and bigotry, even in the glaring deflated integrity of buhari, some of them won't stop shouting "sai buhari". Followership should be based on comparative credibility/integrity, GEJ is few inches ahead of buhari going by the recent happenings.

4 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 25, 2015
Kolade354:
This guy call barcanista is one s.t.u.p.i.d boy you are expecting a perfect opposition party when the sitting govt too is not perfect..............Where are you when asari dokubo was threatning innocent nigerians? Or when Jimi agbaje said for the unity of nigerian we should allow jonathan to use 4 more years so it is not about competence again...........If you expect opposition to build tokyo structure in nigeria when the ruling party who has used 16 years cant build one then you must be Insane...........
Well, That Asari and Agbaje made ridiculous statements does not justify the more ridiculous statements of the APC and her Chiefs. Last time I check, Asari is not a PDP Chief but a Jonathan's supporter like anybody else. I condemned his threats in strong terms, likewise Agbaje. However, the APC preaching #Change has the responsibility of leading by example and not show itself as "same-same".
As for the bold, who has been in power for that 16 years? This thread should help you out https://www.nairaland.com/2160243/p.d.p-been-ruling-nigeria-15

As for the insult, that was unnecessary.

12 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 25, 2015
AriDsexy:
There's goes our guy....saying it the way it is

If u don't like d post,instead of name calling while not just ignore or better still don't open.
Well, that is life. People must use whatever means including insults to drive home their "points". Thank you

1 Like

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 25, 2015
customized13:
same problem I have with the progressives, the level of patriotism they show to deception is alarming.

For example, Buhari has no certificate and lied under oat, yet some people are still patriotic to him, the followership of most progressives is based on hate and bigotry, even in the glaring deflated integrity of buhari, some of them won't stop shouting "sai buhari". Followership should be based on comparative credibility/integrity, GEJ is few inches ahead of buhari going by the recent happenings.
When the certificate issue came out, I encouraged people to go to court. It is more lawful for the court to settle such dispute, but I was disappointed when the APC later said the PDP has bought a judge

3 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Kolade354(m): 9:16am On Feb 25, 2015
Assuming it was bola ahmed tinubu,lai-mohammed and fayemi that were caught with that ekiti leaked tape this werey OPwill open a thread and start saying is this the chane we want.............Pdp rig Apc also rig is that my problem? Pdp is full of propanganda APC too is full of my propanganda is that my problem? Pdp consist of assasin and drug baron Apc also have such peopel in their party..............Attention seeker just lyk FFK.

8 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 25, 2015
barcanista:
This Thread is by no means declaring Goodluck Jonathan and the PDP as Saints.

Best part of the entire write up. Everyone to his decision (that decision i think has been made already)

2 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 25, 2015
Kolade354:
Assuming it was bola ahmed tinubu,lai-mohammed and fayemi that were caught with that ekiti leaked tape this werey OPwill open a thread and start saying is this the chane we want.............Pdp rig Apc also rig is that my problem? Pdp is full of propanganda APC too is full of my propanganda is that my problem? Pdp consist of assasin and drug baron Apc also have such peopel in their party..............Attention seeker just lyk FFK.

Hypocrisy is the order of the day.

4 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 25, 2015
We will form a parallel government IF pdp rigs. Amaechi

We will destroy Nigeria if gej loses. Edwin clarke

Niger delta militants will destroy us if gej is not returned Agbaje

Hypocrisy stinks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Montaque(m): 9:17am On Feb 25, 2015
Wow!
I just feel like Ananais the prophet, when he was told to pray for saul(later to be called paul).
***na so people dey change?***

3 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 25, 2015
OK na

1 Like

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 25, 2015
Only fools believe in the "change" being preached by the hypocrites in APC. The only true change that Nigeria needs at this moment is complete restructuring.

9 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Goandie: 9:19am On Feb 25, 2015
Guy be like be like you don't get d memo Gej as disppointd a lot of pple nd pple want change by all cost, all dis one u are doin is not goin 2 change pples mind @all.
All you pple keep doin is blamin each oda nd yabbin urself on nairaland, bringin out things that will not help a common man.
What av u contributed 2 d society u live in

2 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Acepens(m): 9:20am On Feb 25, 2015
THIS THREAD IN SUMAMARY

[size=14pt]GEJ TILL TINUBU's TEETH IS PURE WHITE[/size] tongue grin

1 Like

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 25, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
Only fools believe in the "change" being preached by the hypocrites in APC. The only true change that Nigeria needs at this moment is complete restructuring.
And the PDP has not delivered that restructuring in 15yrs

4 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 25, 2015
Obiagelli:

Best part of the entire write up. Everyone to his decision ([s]that decision i think has been made already[/s])
The crossed is one arrogance that some of you exhibit. In politics, an hour to election could change a lot. You probably should read how a not-so-popular candidate Sir Michael Agbolade Otedola won the Governorship election in Lagos in 1991.

Obiagelli:

And the PDP has not delivered that restructuring in 15yrs
https://www.nairaland.com/2160243/p.d.p-been-ruling-nigeria-15

2 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 25, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
I believe that huge responsibility lies in the APC to show us the change. Shouting change without leading the change amounts to unseriousness and hypocrisy. We can't gamble to have such a group in power
Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 25, 2015
Goandie:
Guy be like be like you don't get d memo Gej as disppointd a lot of pple nd pple want change by all cost, all dis one u are doin is not goin 2 change pples mind @all.
All you pple keep doin is blamin each oda nd yabbin urself on nairaland, bringin out things that will not help a common man.
What av u contributed 2 d society u live in
Like i said earlier, i think everyone has made his decision already. Sitting in mud and pointing out stains in others ain't gonna change nothing

5 Likes

Re: The Change We Need "El Cambio Que Necesitamos" by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 25, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
Restructuring of what precisely?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos - Past FCT Ministers / The Return Of The Boys At The Creek: Why Buhari Must Beware! / Breaking News: Buhari To Undergo Chemotherapy for 6 Months For Postrate Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.