Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,737 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans (995 Views)

Neither Senate Nor DSS Can Stop My Fight Against Corruption — Magu / Fayose Thanks Senate For Passing No Confidence Vote Against Buhari. / This Picture Says A Lot About Buhari's Fight Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by TheOtherview: 8:33am On Feb 26, 2015
Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans

February 25, 2015

Linda Thomas-Greenfield: urges Africans to vote out corrruption

The United States Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the most senior American official on African matters, has called on Africans to vote out corrupt governments across the continent to send a strong message to politicians that corruption will not be tolerated.

At an online press conference on Wednesday, Thomas-Greenfield described corruption as a cancer all over Africa that has prevented the continent from moving ahead from education to development.

“It is important that when people go to the polls to vote, they have to vote against corruption,” she said from Washington.
She, however, disagreed that corruption is leading young African to take to crime but said it is leading them to “take a stand and show leadership”.

Thomas-Greenfield also disclosed that the Nigerian government and the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Attahiru Jega, have assured the United States administration that the rescheduled presidential and National Assembly elections will hold on 28 March.

There have been renewed fears in Nigeria in recent time that the rescheduled elections may be postponed one more time because of insecurity in the North where Boko Haram terrorists killed over 27 people in two attacks on Tuesday.

She said Nigeria is a strategic partner of the United States and assurances have been made by the government and the electoral body.
“We have been assured by the government and Jega that elections will take place on March 28,” she said.

Thomas-Greenfield said Nigerian neighbouring countries, the continent of Africa and the world are all watching “very closely” and hoping that the Nigerian elections will be free, fair, credible and peaceful.

She will personally travel to Nigeria a day to the elections on 27 March to monitor them, she said.

Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield answered questions on various issues, from corruption to extremism on the continent.

On terrorism, she said the United States Government is partnering with African government from Somalia to Nigeria and South Sudan to defeat extremism.
The Assistant Secretary on Public Affairs, Doug Frantz, who addressed journalists at a separate online press conference, called on African journalists to be objective, balanced and independent in their reporting of elections.

One of the most important things to do during an election, Frantz said, is to separate facts from fictions for the electorate to find the truth.
He called on African journalists to be honest with their readers and stand up for one another when the need arises, including foreign journalists who find it hard to get access into the country.

There have been reports that over 40 foreign journalists are still waiting to get their visas to cover the Nigerian elections.

Source

1 Like

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Kennywills7(m): 8:41am On Feb 26, 2015
We will surely vote against corruption but so far We hv not seen any party without d corrupt politicians
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by omenka(m): 8:47am On Feb 26, 2015
This is just a sublime way of telling Nigerians to vote out Jonathan and his acutely corrupt administration.

We are ready to do so ma'am. smiley

#InBuhariWeTrust.

#SaiBaba.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by NetBizguy: 8:51am On Feb 26, 2015
Corruption I know in Nigeria is APC and I'll vote against them
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Caseless: 9:03am On Feb 26, 2015
That thief called the president of my country comes to mind whenever the word corruption is mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 26, 2015
See where Nigerian name fall into SOMALIA, NIGERIA, SOUTH SUDAN next it will be IRAQ, SYRIA, YEMEN, AFGHANISTAN etc, may God help us
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by john124(m): 9:11am On Feb 26, 2015
Unfortunately all the parties are corrupt so killing corruption is as impossible as killing a lion from a close range .
Doing that is just applying a collective effort against it
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by NetBizguy: 9:14am On Feb 26, 2015
omenka:
This is just a sublime way of telling Nigerians to vote out Jonathan and his acutely corrupt administration.

We are ready to do so ma'am. smiley

#InBuhariWeTrust.

#SaiBaba.

BokoHarri sorry booHarri's Baboon and Dog will always #TrustInBooHari. for me in God I trust and Jonathan I will Vote, I am worth more than Dog and Baboon, God's word asks "what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his soul?", so God placed me/you above the whole world and everything within put together and one Buhari called you Dog and Baboon and said you will be soaked in blood if he doesn't gain the whole Nigeria. Value Your Life my dear.
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 26, 2015
Coded message!

Is it that coded sef.....we all know the harbingers of corruption
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by hazyfm1: 9:18am On Feb 26, 2015
VOTE OUT CORRUPTION

SAI BUHARI

1 Like

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by noordean(m): 9:22am On Feb 26, 2015
john124:
Unfortunately all the parties are corrupt so killing corruption is as impossible as killing a lion from a close range .
Doing that is just applying a collective effort against it
lemme assume ur first sentence is true,But one is more corrupt dan d oda and everybody knws that.in dat case u go for the better
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by omenka(m): 9:25am On Feb 26, 2015
NetBizguy:

BokoHarri sorry booHarri's Baboon and Dog will always #TrustInBooHari. for me in God I trust and Jonathan I will Vote, I am worth more than Dog and Baboon, God's word asks "what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his soul?", so God placed me/you above the whole world and everything within put together and one Buhari called you Dog and Baboon and said you will be soaked in blood if he doesn't gain the whole Nigeria. Value Your Life my dear.
Usually, I ignore people like you, even though they sound a lot brighter. But hell, you sound so dull honestly.

1 Like

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Gbawe: 9:25am On Feb 26, 2015
Caseless:
That thief called the president of my country comes to mind whenever the word corruption is mentioned.

I really do not understand the Nigerians still singing the praise of Jonathan. The only people Nigeria is working for under GEJ are terrorists, oil bunkerers, militant warlord, corrupt men/women and all Nigerians tied to governance/politics. For everyone else, which would be around 95% of the populace, Nigeria sucks horribly in comparison to even sane African nations let alone the lofty standards of the best Western nations. It shows you that Nigeria is still horribly backward when some choose to continue supporting their oppressors of 16 years who have stripped them of human dignity, impoverished them and turned many into beggarly sycophants. In any other nation of the world the overwhelming conclusion, after 16 years of horrendous misrule by the PDP, would be to give another Party a chance. I personally think Nigerians will give the APC a chance because Nigeria is not working for the ordinary man/woman.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by noordean(m): 9:27am On Feb 26, 2015
NetBizguy:

Pls share us d video wia he said that,else stop spreading lies around

1 Like

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Boland(m): 9:39am On Feb 26, 2015
Gbawe:

I really do not understand the Nigerians still singing the praise of Jonathan. The only people Nigeria is working for under GEJ are terrorists, oil bunkerers, militant warlord, corrupt men/women and all Nigerians tied to governance/politics. For everyone else, which would be around 95% of the populace, Nigeria sucks horribly in comparison to even sane African nations let alone the lofty standards of the best Western nations. It shows you that Nigeria is still horribly backward when some choose to continue supporting their oppressors of 16 years who have stripped them of human dignity, impoverished them and turned many into beggarly sycophants. In any other nation of the world the overwhelming conclusion, after 16 years of horrendous misrule by the PDP, would be to give another Party a chance. I personally think Nigerians will give the APC a chance because Nigeria is not working for the ordinary man/woman.
You can say that again my brother... If you are not paid and you are supporting this failed administration, then you have shii among your brains... It baffles me when people can't just see the truth when it is glaring, PDP has failed this country and this present administration is the worst we've ever had.
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by TheFreeOne: 9:55am On Feb 26, 2015
US and her sanctimonious rubbish as usual.

They will always support a stooge when it suits them and turns against such whenever he/she becomes uncontrollable using their moles in africa to achieve their selfish agendas.
US supports even terrorists whenever it suits her agenda.

Keep fooling those with less intelligence who believes in your two-face foreign policies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by BobNeli(m): 10:45am On Feb 26, 2015
All the evils US has planned for Nigeria ever since declearing that they want to see Nigeria disintegrate by 2015 will but strenghten us the more. The duty of the US has been, working tirelessly to destablise or more so, divide nations whom they vission as having potentials to excel. They did so to the defunct USSR. They masterminded the execution of the former Lybian president. The aftermats of their plots against egypt which is still raveging the country till today is enough to teach Nigeria that we do not need the United States' advice on our political issues. US never indulges in anything that does not favour their greed. If I may ask, if indeed the US has anything up their sleeves for Nigeria, why did they pull out of patronising one of the best crude oil species in the world but increased Saudi Arabia's quota? Why did US refuse to render Nigeria any help in cutailling the most dreaded disease ever witnessed in the history of human existence. The Ebola virus? Eventhough, the manner of entrance of same disease was questionable by the Identity of the man who brought it in. Why did US for the first time in history, refuse to enter into arms deal with Nigeria, knowing fully well, it was going to be used in fighting the insurgency that has menaced the peace and security of the entire country. Even going as far as blocking involvements with other world powers? Has US forgotten in a rush, the Halibutton scandal? They are the masterminds of all the corrupt practises ravegging the whole world today. They are most angry at our present day government because we refused to be their stuge in suporting gay marriage. Knowing fully well that they are unable to manipulate our educated president, they are scheeming to remove him and bring in someone they can use to siphone our economy. Fellow Nigerians, lets wake up from our slumber and rise up to take up arms against this monster called US, and by opposing end their selfish influence on our blessed economy.
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by Caseless: 2:36pm On Feb 26, 2015
Gbawe:

this is deep! No one could have said it better.
Re: Vote Against Corruption, US Tells Africans by skyfall: 9:28pm On Feb 26, 2015
They're talking to Nigerians; just being diplomatic about it.

(1) (Reply)

Is This Apc Legislator Contesting Elections In 2 States? [look] / U.S. Set For Likely Post-election Crisis In Nigeria John Kerr / What Is Your Take On This BIBLE Verse??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.