Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! - Gaming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! (15633 Views)

Super Eagles Fifa 16 Ultimate Team: Road To 100 Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Loluores: 9:48am On Aug 13, 2015
Man oh man, chessguru, I hope you know/understand what it is you're getting yourself into.

Seems you have top-notch materials at your disposal. But your timetables/curricula/plans seem haphazard. The information overload I see here is just unbelievable.
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Loluores: 9:54am On Aug 13, 2015
817:
Akinov, I admire your passion for Chess. I see you have openings (raw lines) as part of your prep. I suggest you first understand your chess personality. Are you cast in the mould of a Tal, Kasparov, Fisher or are more conservative and risk averse like Karpov or the current world champion Magnus Carlsen. This would determine the openings you would focus on developing as part of your arsenal. Second I suggest you get the Houdini or Komodo Chess commercial Engines from chess base. They are arguably the 2 strongest chess engines in the World and come packaged with a lot of analytical features which every serious chess player must have. Goodluck on your endeavor.

Not a good approach. Chessguru's not strong enough a player to have a well-defined style. And yes, I'm that psychic!
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by prof800(m): 8:25am On Aug 14, 2015
Loluores:

Not a good approach. Chessguru's not strong enough a player to have a well-defined style. And yes, I'm that psychic!
You nko?
What's stopping you from becoming a GM?

1 Like

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Loluores: 6:48am On Aug 23, 2015
prof800:

You nko?
What's stopping you from becoming a GM?

GM ke, when I still dey hustle smiley

To be honest though, I have things in my playing that I'm just a lil' lazy to work on. Y'know, just like not taking your pills you know will cure the malaria you have, that kinda thing.

Also, I'm kinda becoming less and less of a perfectionist, which, ironically, is not good for a chessplayer. To be a strong player you have to be more of a perfectionist, a trait I feel like I'm losing (at least for chess... in some other areas in life I can still be veeery paranoid).

Buh I know where someone like chessguru's coming from, from a place of burning passion and strong dedication, and probably has gigabytes of chess material on his PC and phone grin , buh there's just too much overload.
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 8:07am On Aug 25, 2015
Loluores:

GM ke, when I still dey hustle smiley

To be honest though, I have things in my playing that I'm just a lil' lazy to work on. Y'know, just like not taking your pills you know will cure the malaria you have, that kinda thing.

Also, I'm kinda becoming less and less of a perfectionist, which, ironically, is not good for a chessplayer. To be a strong player you have to be more of a perfectionist, a trait I feel like I'm losing (at least for chess... in some other areas in life I can still be veeery paranoid).

Buh I know where someone like chessguru's coming from, from a place of burning passion and strong dedication, and probably has gigabytes of chess material on his PC and phone grin , buh there's just too much overload.
Loluores you have no idea where i am coming from..... i play chess for the fun of it now and my target is simple to keep improving till i get to the best i can in the mastery of the thing i love so much. i was in a tournament just a week ago which ended with a very poor score for me...... 2 loses , 2 draws and just 1 win in a 5 round event at the pro chess event in ibadan... i had 2/5 as a result which is poor by my standard but i know exactly why it was that way...... my focus is on my next event now and if i can be physically fit for the event many will be shocked . actually i was ill during the ibadan event which affected my performance where i threw away my second round game that was completely winning . i am back to training now and its been very nice making progress.

1 Like

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Loluores: 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
chessguru:
Loluores you have no idea where i am coming from..... i play chess for the fun of it now and my target is simple to keep improving till i get to the best i can in the mastery of the thing i love so much. i was in a tournament just a week ago which ended with a very poor score for me...... 2 loses , 2 draws and just 1 win in a 5 round event at the pro chess event in ibadan... i had 2/5 as a result which is poor by my standard but i know exactly why it was that way...... my focus is on my next event now and if i can be physically fit for the event many will be shocked . actually i was ill during the ibadan event which affected my performance where i threw away my second round game that was completely winning . i am back to training now and its been very nice making progress.

I don't know where you're coming from? Okay, you don't have a burning passion and strong dedication for the game of chess, and you definitely don't have gigs of chess material on this particular device you're using to read this comment right now, shey? smiley hey, I'm psychic, y'know.

Becoming a self-taught GM is very much possible these days. But see ehn, all these your "study some random opening lines, then play some training games against Shredder, then solve all the tactical puzzles on CT-Art 7 times, then learn some IQP middlegames, then read Pawn Power In Chess, then play in an Open in Ibadan, then drill deep calculation, then analyse IM Adu's games, then..." will leave you running around in circles!

What you need is some kind of systematic chess schooling, kinda like the famous chess schools such as the Soviet or the London chess schools, where every great player of note arise from, especially if you weren't 'born' with chess talent like e.g. Fischer or Carlsen. Even they had to get some kinda systematic syllabus to follow. That's my point, is that you gotta systematically rise up the ranks. How fast/slowly you get there doesn't matter.

Anyway, seems that's what you've said you'll set out to do sha. Sorry about your performance in IB, hope you get back in the game stronger oh.

4 Likes

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2015
@Loluores
My chess training regimen is as systematic as it can get.... i know exactly what i am aiming at and the next step is to fashion out how to get to my destination... i have consulted many real life Grand masters, IMs and chess tutors than you can imagine my target is not to become a GM.... my target is CHESS MASTERY while enjoying the game.... improving my thought process steadily and making steady progress then taking part in Tournaments off course i will take a shot at becoming a GM at the African individual....the end will justify the means bro.... matter of time***
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Sheikwonder(m): 11:48pm On Aug 28, 2015
@chessguru:Just watched Channels Sports tonight and they were discussing how one 18 year old guy,Anwuli[i think],is the highest rated Nigerian chess player...

Anyhow it prompts me to ask:are you a FIDE rated player? if so what is your rating,if not, why not?

1 Like

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
Sheikwonder:
@chessguru:Just watched Channels Sports tonight and they were discussing how one 18 year old guy,Anwuli[i think],is the highest rated Nigerian chess player...

Anyhow it prompts me to ask:are you a FIDE rated player? if so what is your rating,if not, why not?

Anwuli is the highest rated Nigerian player[b] in his age category[/b] he is number 14 in Nigeria at the moment https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=NGR as for me i am yet to be FIDE rated as i have not been playing in rated events because of my very busy job schedule...... here is a link to my FIDE profile https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8504458 i will be FIDE rated pretty soon as i intend to play in some Rated event ASAP. i am training hard so i will have a very good initial; rating.
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Loluores: 8:31pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hmm, interesting, that you mentioned chess mastery as the goal. I therefore rest my case. No sarcasms intended oh, for real... I actually admire and respect such a goal.

Reminds me of the book titled 'Mastery' by Robert Greene.

All the very best sir.

2 Likes

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by Ade5(m): 3:42pm On Sep 28, 2015
What's up with this thread? Akinov, how far?
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by bolajib68: 11:59am On Jan 18, 2016
I believe we need an active way for a whole lot of chess players to get together and know one another, we should make use of the opportunit of whatsapp and get chess players across the country talking.I started playing chess last year, at that time we were only four but today we have an active chat group wit almost thirty players around ibadan nd we get together on weekends at the university of Ibadan to player. The weaker players improve because of more play time which is one thing we need in nigerian chess more opportunities to communicate. The CPAN page is too dry
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by yorex2011: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
I like the idea of a whatsapp group..should we create one for nairaland folk
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by bolajib68: 6:29pm On Jan 18, 2016
I was at d last quarterly in ibadan y not at d next one gather fone numbers of all players at that tournament nd dat way we can hook up. I played femi balogun first game nd I was fished. Tanx for replying
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 12:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
@bolajib68
I was also at the last Ibadan Tournament , i finished on 3/5 losing my last game to Rotimi Lapite (a good game for my by my rusty standard) as per the whatsapp group add me on 08067446844 i am Akinov , Ondo state Chess coach and a returnee to active chess as a player !! grin
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 1:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
In Continuation of the Quest to becoming the first Grand Master From Nigeria . i shall be preparing over the next 7 weeks for a Tournament that will be taking place in Ghana Zone 4.4 Individual Accra, Ghana March 28 to April 06, 2016 .The winner in the Open Section will be awarded International Master (IM) title whilst the winner, Other titles will be awarded in accordance with FIDE title requirements. The thread will Document my prep for this great event. i rep Nairaland, Ondo and Nigerian Chess !

Zone 4.4 Countries
Countries affiliated to FIDE Zone 4.4

1. BURKINA FASO
2. CAMEROON
3. CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
4. COTE D’IVOIRE
5. GABON
6. GAMBIA
7. GHANA
8. NIGERIA
9. SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
10. SIERRA LEONE
11. TOGO'
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 8:25pm On Jan 27, 2016
27/01/2016
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by folakov: 12:06am On Mar 27, 2016
Hey Akinov,

Nice thread, I started a blog a while ago to document my path to a 4 hour work week, so I really understand this.

I used to play chess a while back and just got back. Back then there were loads of tournaments yearly, Nepa, Nbl etc. My dreams are still alive, I don't believe in giving up.

Anyway, I love people that dream and have aspirations, just ignore some comments on this thread.

I do have a piece of advice for you as I am on this path as well. I think 99% of chess players focus so much on openings and not enough on the basics. When I say basics, I mean general strategy. My focus for the rest of the year is to master the imbalances as set out in Silmans' book Reassess your chess and the workbook. Once I get this right, other things will follow in between.

Let's talk, can I buzz you on whatsapp?

How did NBL go and how are your preparations for the individual going?

Afolabi
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 12:45pm On Jun 11, 2020
chessguru:
In Continuation of the Quest to becoming the first Grand Master From Nigeria . i shall be preparing over the next 7 weeks for a Tournament that will be taking place in Ghana Zone 4.4 Individual Accra, Ghana March 28 to April 06, 2016 .The winner in the Open Section will be awarded International Master (IM) title whilst the winner, Other titles will be awarded in accordance with FIDE title requirements. The thread will Document my prep for this great event. i rep Nairaland, Ondo and Nigerian Chess !

Zone 4.4 Countries
Countries affiliated to FIDE Zone 4.4

1. BURKINA FASO
2. CAMEROON
3. CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
4. COTE D’IVOIRE
5. GABON
6. GAMBIA
7. GHANA
8. NIGERIA
9. SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
10. SIERRA LEONE
11. TOGO'
From the above tournament , i was awarded the Candidate master title , got the initial Standard rating of 1797 and 1906 in Blitz , the trip the GM continues the QUEST FOR GLORY !!
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
14/6/2020

ORGANIZED TRAINING PROGRAM
The sole aim of this stage is to twerk the thinking process and pattern recognition and sight on board .

solving tactics daily (become a chess puzzle addict)
solving combinations;
solving studies (endgame-like positions with tactical content);
solving strategic tests;
studying typical middlegame positions;
studying typical schemes of attack against the advarsary's king;
studying typical methods of play in opening;

Daily Training

STAGE 1

1. Tactics/puzzles
chess.com puzzles
Lichess puzzles
Tactics apps
2. Chess.com Lessons (Chess mentor ) old lessons (A-Z)

3. Chess.com Drills (A-Z)

4. Lichess practice (A_Z)

1 Like

Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by RuggedSniper: 12:39am On Jun 18, 2020
chessguru:
Hi guys, i am the Chessguru but i am yet to dominate the chess scene in Nigeria, in fact most of the Elite players have serious doubts about my ability to perform well in the masters Category , Chess my Official FIDE profile (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8504458).... This thread will document an ATTEMPT FOR ME TO BECOMING A GRANDMASTER Of Chess . To become a GRANDMASTER Of Chess the first thing is to work towards Chess mastery... become Grand master strength. of course it is a very difficult task but the most direct way is to win (OUT RIGHTLY) The African individual chess championship ) which is a route i am aiming at. but a chess player aiming for the African Chess champion title must first of all clear all doubts at home before stepping out to the very Wild African Tarrain.... so Ladies and Gentlemen , my first target is to conquer Nigeria !! .... this thread shall document the steps taking towards chess mastery !

FIRST MISSION !!
Target - 38th Edition of Nigerian Breweries Plc International Chess Championship (Lagos)[b] (National championship) [/b]14th-18th October
3rd Lagos Chess Classic 21st -25th.(Lagos) October

Aim - To train with a special Training regimen and put in my BEST into playing at the two major international chess events in Lagos
*(April- may) Systematic training, Drills and study average of 4 hours /day (optimum delivery)
**(June - July) Systematic Training Continues (but with more Practice time)
** (August -September) # DRILLS, STUDY & TRAINING AIMED SPECIFICALLY @ THE TOURNAMENTS

****This system may not be fool proof but it is better an attempt is made than for one to have no plans at all........... i am under no pressure to deliver- my target is simple * Be at your best- hit your peak and see how you play against Nigeria's bests !! lets go there
Re: ROAD TO GRANDMASTER - By Akinov !! by chessguru(m): 9:36pm On Jun 18, 2020
Stevie89:
Thanks for reminding me. I have not played chess for so long that I forgot how to do it. I guess I’ll open my favorite site and start the game using chess-bot. It is not so professional but quickly helps to remember the right strategies. Do you use special training programs? I was told that it is popular now.
i use training tools on the websites i posted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Grand Theft Auto 5 Breaks Seven World Records. / Uk Used PS3 Fat, Slim & Super Slim.....Ps4 Pro, Slim & Fat / GOD Fire(android)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.