Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,564 members, 7,820,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help (7182 Views)

''Why We Transferred Father Mbaka'' — Catholic Church / I Want To Change My Church. Pls Suggest A Good One. / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 5:12pm On Mar 01, 2015
I 'm not a catholic but love now made me a full member and i intend to wed at d church soon. We are about to start our marriage course, but i don't want my fiancee to kno that i started goin to catholic because of her , so my dear friends i need some info about dis marriage course of a thin in catholic church, cos am a novice. Pls anyone with cogent knowledge should pls educate me on what to expect before and during d proccess. Again Can it be done in proxy, Since we'v not decided on d wedding month yet?
Experienced catholic wedded couples, pls help ur brother
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Rich4god(m): 5:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
Salc ubenedictus italo syncan
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 5:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
Rich4god:
meaning?
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Rich4god(m): 5:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
silvoice:
meaning?
meaning u shld relax a bit.. Help is coming..

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Rich4god:
Thanks for the mention dear, let's see how we can be of help, God willing
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 7:06pm On Mar 01, 2015
silvoice:
I 'm not a catholic but love now made me a full member and i intend to wed at d church soon. We are about to start our marriage course, but i don't want my fiancee to kno that i started goin to catholic because of her , so my dear friends i need some info about dis marriage course of a thin in catholic church, cos am a novice. Pls anyone with cogent knowledge should pls educate me on what to expect before and during d proccess. Again Can it be done in proxy, Since we'v not decided on d wedding month yet?
Experienced catholic wedded couples, pls help ur brother
It must be so strong a love for you to do this and I will like to say to you " welcome to the Catholic faith, may God bless you, be with you and always guard and guide you in all you do.
First, will both of you be attending this marriage course in thesame parish or do you two live in different cities?

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 8:33pm On Mar 01, 2015
SalC:
It must be so strong a love for you to do this and I will like to say to you " welcome to the Catholic faith, may God bless you, be with you and always guard and guide you in all you do.
First, will both of you be attending this marriage course in thesame parish or do you two live in different cities?
so comforting to hear from u. We live in diferent city. I wanted her to do hers' at her place but she wanted it together. Which ever way, i need ur candid advice
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 9:49pm On Mar 01, 2015
silvoice:
so comforting to hear from u. We live in diferent city. I wanted her to do hers' at her place but she wanted it together. Which ever way, i need ur candid advice
Why I asked is because, if you two are going to attend this course together, it will be hard to keep her from knowing you just converted to the Catholic faith because as a new convert, your lecture will have to go a step further than the normal marriage course for someone who has been a baptised Catholic and knows more about the Catholic teachings and practices.

For instance, you will need to learn at least a little of the Cathchesm and may need to make a profession of faith and get baptised to enable you receive the Holy communion on or before your wedding day.
You see, it might be difficult for you to do all these secretly without her knowing but it might be possible if you two are attending the course in different cities. But be rest assured that these processes aren't difficult to go through.

Aside the above in your case, marriage course is no rocket science, all you need do is walk up to the priest or Cathechist and register for your marriage course, they will tell you everything you need to do, after which your marriage bans will be called for three sundays. Your marriage course on a normal case lasts for three months after which you can choose your wedding date. And yes you can do it in proxy but not like you will have to fix your wedding as far as two years after your marriage course grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 11:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Hello brethren, just to register my presence. SalC has done justice to the OP's question, well except he still needs more clarifications on any issues. All I can say is that the night before easter is mostly used for baptism of adult catechumen, if you are fortunate, the baptism issue can be tackled as early as this easter, and that will be out of the way. So the earlier you get to the nearest catholic church office, the better for you. Welcome once again and feel free to visit "A thread for Catholics" and ask your questions.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 10:21am On Mar 02, 2015
SalC:
Why I asked is because, if you two are going to attend this course together, it will be hard to keep her from knowing you just converted to the Catholic faith because as a new convert, your lecture will have to go a step further than the normal marriage course for someone who has been a baptised Catholic and knows more about the Catholic teachings and practices.

For instance, you will need to learn at least a little of the Cathchesm and may need to make a profession of faith and get baptised to enable you receive the Holy communion on or before your wedding day.
You see, it might be difficult for you to do all these secretly without her knowing but it might be possible if you two are attending the course in different cities. But be rest assured that these processes aren't difficult to go through.

Aside the above in your case, marriage course is no rocket science, all you need do is walk up to the priest or Cathechist and register for your marriage course, they will tell you everything you need to do, after which your marriage bans will be called for three sundays. Your marriage course on a normal case lasts for three months after which you can choose your wedding date. And yes you can do it in proxy but not like you will have to fix your wedding as far as two years after your marriage course grin

Thanks, a million times 4 ur candid comment. Sorry it took me so long to response: my tight schedule.

I was baptised as an infant in catholic church. When i was 4yrs, my beloved mum left. So i grew up under an aunt who was a strong protestant penticostal member. She hated catholic and so afta about 15yrs wit her, i was already acustomed to her church, until i met my fiancee. I claimed that am a catholic, when it became obvious that i will marry her, i started goin to catholic church with no knowledge of their teaching, just learning to say the 'hail mary' and others wit style.
Yes! I was able to retrieve a very rusty card which i learnt is my baptismal card, from my father's box, cos my girl said they wil ask 4 it.
Will they see me as a member wit that partly damaged card?
Thanks again 4 ur intrest and time.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 10:50am On Mar 02, 2015
Syncan:
Hello brethren, just to register my presence. SalC has done justice to the OP's question, well except he still needs more clarifications on any issues. All I can say is that the night before easter is mostly used for baptism of adult catechumen, if you are fortunate, the baptism issue can be tackled as early as this easter, and that will be out of the way. So the earlier you get to the nearest catholic church office, the better for you. Welcome once again and feel free to visit "A thread for Catholics" and ask your questions.
brother, since i don't belong to any service unit like CYON etc is it goin to affect me, cos am too busy with work now and i want to wed at this my parish here in Port Harcourt, wil my fiancee's membership cover me? Though she's not part of that particular parish. What wil be required of me? I want 2 know in advance. Thanks
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 11:06am On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:
brother, since i don't belong to any service unit like CYON etc is it goin to affect me, cos am too busy with work now and i want to wed at this my parish here in Port Harcourt, wil my fiancee's membership cover me? Though she's not part of that particular parish. What wil be required of me? I want 2 know in advance. Thanks

I Just read your response to SalC above. If you are baptised, you are a catholic. Your not being a member of CYON should not hinder you in anyway, however some parishes in the east especially, do demand that you get clearance from CYON before marriage bans are made. As per PH, I don't think its applicable. What will most likely happen in your case is that you'll be given the catechism book, which you'll be required to read at your spare time. Your marriage course instructor will monitor your progress and aid you along. As long as your card contains the neccesary info, its admissible. However you can take the card to the parish of baptism and they'll give you a new copy. You really have no problem difficult to handle, You can't learn all in a day, but you shouldn't be hiding things from your partner this early stage cheesy.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 11:06am On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:
Thanks, a million times 4 ur candid comment. Sorry it took me so long to response: my tight schedule.

I was baptised as an infant in catholic church. When i was 4yrs, my beloved mum left. So i grew up under an aunt who was a strong protestant penticostal member. She hated catholic and so afta about 15yrs wit her, i was already acustomed to her church, until i met my fiancee. I claimed that am a catholic, when it became obvious that i will marry her, i started goin to catholic church with no knowledge of their teaching, just learning to say the 'hail mary' and others wit style.
Yes! I was able to retrieve a very rusty card which i learnt is my baptismal card, from my father's box, cos my girl said they wil ask 4 it.
Will they see me as a member wit that partly damaged card?
Thanks again 4 ur intrest and time.
Yes they will, and you don't even need to be re-baptised. All you need to do is go to your parish priest especially on his office days and explain to him, all you need now a renewal of your profession of faith and this; the priest will help you go through. As for you partially damaged baptismal card, you can still take it to the parish were you were baptised and get it change if you mind.

In all, your case isn't such a huge one afterall. It can easily be taken care of so relax and talk to your priest.

Again for the prayers you are learning, keep it up and learn those basic ones, you can also ask any of our Catholic brethren here or on "A Thread for Catholics" here on Nairaland and we will be only too glad to help you out.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 11:11am On Mar 02, 2015
Syncan:

I Just read your response to SalC above. If you are baptised, you are a catholic. Your not being a member of CYON should not hinder you in anyway, however some parishes in the east especially, do demand that you get clearance from CYON before marriage bans are made. As per PH, I don't think its applicable. What will most likely happen in your case is that you'll be given the catechism book, which you'll be required to read at your spare time. Your marriage course instructor will monitor your progress and aid you along. As long as your card contains the neccesary info, its admissible. However you can take the card to the parish of baptism and they'll give you a new copy. You really have no problem difficult to handle, You can't learn all in a day, but you shouldn't be hiding things from your partner this early stage cheesy.
Get off my head bro grin

Thanks for your contributions,
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 1:21pm On Mar 02, 2015
SalC:
Get off my head bro grin

Thanks for your contributions,

Hahaha, Its a natural something. God bless you dear.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 2:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
Syncan and salc, two of u have made my day. I'm jus smilin now as i type.
Well let me state categoricaly that am not hiding anythin from her. I'v already told her that am worshipin in catholic church and i hav been doin that regularly 4 d past six months. i have also decided that i will continue even afta d weddin. May be sometime i future, i wil giv her gist, but that would be bedroom talk, as part of my past.
D real thin is that she thinks dat am not a strong christian dat is why i don't know most of dis things and she is ready to teach me word of God which she has been doin. But i don't want to be a novice in everytin especially as regard my marriage. U know am d head, i don't want to play a second fiddle in my marriage, that is why am learnin from all angle. Cheers!!
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Alexk2(m): 2:59pm On Mar 02, 2015
I wish i can register my advice with all sincerity and be frank abt it.

First, it is very wrong to build your marriage foundatn of deceit; lying to your fiancee about the church you are attending....she'll still find out and you don't expect her to be happy with that.

Secondly, in marriage it is the lady that'll have to follow the guy to his church and not the other way. A lady who believes in you and love you enough to want to marry you should be ready to join your church. In marriage, the questn to ask should never be which church is he attending but is He a genuine Christian?

Finally, pls., define who you are and what you want and never allow your fiancee to decide that for you under the flame of love or lust. Marriage is a serious thing and 'believe' plays a very important role in it. This church issue may not mean much to you today but it'll mean too much in future.
I read post from catholic guys congratulating you and i smh at the level religious is blinding pple....which of them can join another church in the name of love or marriage?..

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by SalC: 5:08pm On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:
Well let me state categoricaly that am not hiding anythin from her. I'v already told her that am worshipin in catholic church and i hav been doin that regularly 4 d past six months. i have also decided that i will continue even afta d weddin. May be sometime i future, i wil giv her gist, but that would be bedroom talk, as part of my past.
D real thin is that she thinks dat am not a strong christian dat is why i don't know most of dis things and she is ready to teach me word of God which she has been doin. But i don't want to be a novice in everytin especially as regard my marriage. U know am d head, i don't want to play a second fiddle in my marriage, that is why am learnin from all angle. Cheers!!
What can I say?
May God be with you all the way, I wish you the best, ....Can't wait to hear the wedding bells. cheesy
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
Alexk2:

First, it is very wrong to build your marriage foundatn of deceit; lying to your fiancee about the church you are attending....she'll still find out and you don't expect her to be happy with that.

Secondly, in marriage it is the lady that'll have to follow the guy to his church and not the other way. A lady who believes in you and love you enough to want to marry you should be ready to join your church. In marriage, the questn to ask should never be which church is he attending but is He a genuine Christian?

Finally, pls., define who you are and what you want and never allow your fiancee to decide that for you under the flame of love or lust. Marriage is a serious thing and 'believe' plays a very important role in it. This church issue may not mean much to you today but it'll mean too much in future.
I read post from catholic guys congratulating you and i smh at the level religious is blinding pple....which of them can join another church in the name of love or marriage?..
u missed d point. I got converted into a catholic by a lady i respect so much 4 her morality. So am now a full member... Period.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 6:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
awsome indeed.
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 7:13pm On Mar 02, 2015
SalC:
What can I say?
May God be with you all the way, I wish you the best, ....Can't wait to hear the wedding bells. cheesy
Amen!
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Rich4god(m): 8:40pm On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:
awsome indeed.
I hope u r cleared.... Told you help is coming...
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 8:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
Rich4god:
yes! thanks
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 9:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:

Nothing to say, again SalC has said it all. Believe me, you'll be amazed at what you'll learn about the church. The more you come to know, the more ridiculous a lot of things you were earlier told about the church will sound. Anyway, make I go buy dancing shoes, got a wedding party to attend grin.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 9:47pm On Mar 02, 2015
Alexk2:

Sorry oga, wrong thread.
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 9:50pm On Mar 02, 2015
silvoice:
u missed d point. I got converted into a catholic by a lady i respect so much 4 her morality. So am now a full member... Period.

A big point... and you're back home. Welcome back bro.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Syncan(m): 9:51pm On Mar 02, 2015
Rich4god:

I see you bro.
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 11:21pm On Mar 02, 2015
Syncan:

Nothing to say, again SalC has said it all. Believe me, you'll be amazed at what you'll learn about the church. The more you come to know, the more ridiculous a lot of things you were earlier told about the church will sound. Anyway, make I go buy dancing shoes, got a wedding party to attend grin.
thanks
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Ubenedictus(m): 6:59pm On Mar 04, 2015
It is good to come to a thread and read through smiling, syncan and salc are u sure u are not married?

Silvoice welcome dear, they have covered most issue, remember to send d invitation when its time.
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Rich4god(m): 8:25pm On Mar 04, 2015
Ubenedictus:
It is good to come to a thread and read through smiling, syncan and salc are u sure u are not married?

Silvoice welcome dear, they have covered most issue, remember to send d invitation when its time.
don't tell me you don't the reason we call salc mumsy...
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by Rich4god(m): 8:26pm On Mar 04, 2015
Syncan:

I see you bro.
you guys did a nice job... Happy to have mentioned you both.
Re: Marriage Course In Catholic Church: Pls Help by silvoice(m): 10:55pm On Mar 04, 2015
Ubenedictus:

for sure: i will do so. Cos i will be very happy to see all these humble and intelligent minds that render selfless service of advsing peopl on NairaLand in my weddin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Worship God To Achieve Change, Adeboye Counsels Nigerians / Christmas Address: Pope Prays For Peace In Nigeria, Condemns Religious Violence / THESE GOODS ARE PAID FOR!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.