Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,995 members, 7,838,508 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Atheists Based In Nigeria - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Based In Nigeria (8286 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by bindex(m): 2:31am On Jan 24, 2009
Deus_Noir:

Atheist here!!

I've been one for as long as I can remember, I had a pretty sheltered childhood in terms of socializing etc. So I always had a lot of "me time" to think about the universe etc, but the most powerful "religion repellents" to me was all the ridiculous contradictions in the bible. Personally the more I learnt about "God" the more I started to think, "wow this guy is quite an a**hole".

Anyway growing up in Naija, I never really shared my "sinful and blasphemous tongue " thoughts with anyone except my closest friends, who would still verbally crucify me for having those beliefs(or lack of). But it was all in good fun, I guess they just assumed I was some attention seeking twit who would eventually "see the light" and "find God" pshh.

Kept my views from my family, not to protect myself from their wrath but to protect them from the worry that their son is a "blasphemer" and will "burn in hell forever".
I know no rational argument will ever convince them that there is no god so I just pretend to believe in god so they feel secure in their son's ability to make it to "heaven"

When I got to secondary school I became alot more "blasphemous" and would get into some serious arguments with my friends, I earned the nicknames "demon" and "satan" which I carried with pride.

Fast forward to college, moved to the states, met more atheists, felt less like an outcast. These days I'm not really combative about my beliefs, "live and let live" right?

I think the world will eventually realize that superstitious beliefs are for the most part bad for us, and as "ideas" just like "biological traits" are subject to natural selection, the ones that don't enhance our survival will eventually be phased out*

*The only quirk there is what if the environment changes in such a way that having superstitious beliefs actually are helpful to survival (which is the case in a lot of third world countries, and which is why I don't particularly judge those that carry such beliefs)
But every now and then I like to have a little bit of fun with the crazies and start an internet flame war.

Interesting.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by RiffRaff: 3:35pm On Feb 15, 2009
My journey into atheism was a slow and gradual process. I grew up in a home where my dad was a Muslim an Alhaji for that matter and my mum was a Christian.
All my early life I have towed the line of Christianity and Islam. I have in-depth knowledge about the two religions.
I was thinking about the world in general and the purpose of human life one day, I thought deep about life & religion.
I started asking questions about God from theists. I read the bible and Quran; there were so many questions to be asked. Whenever I ask the theist those questions, they will tell me “you cannot ask God questions” during my research on religion, i came to the conclusion that religion was a scam. I found out we human need to believe in something, hence the worshiping of stones, statues, people, ghost and all form of ridiculous things.
You will be amazed what people will do in the name of religion. There was a reverend: King in Nigeria committed murder, burning some of his church members in the process. After his death sentence, his church members kept on spreading his flyers. He was performing revival for members in prison. Goggle Reverend Jim Jones, his story is baffling cuz I kept wondering what the guy told his congregation that will make them commit suicide with him.
Pastor Chris had a man allegedly blind from birth healed on national TV. He showed him a color and the guy knew the color Blue. Can somebody please tell me how somebody that has been blind from birth know color accurately?
Sati guru Maraji says that he is God. A lot of people believe him. The Muslims will fight war at ridiculous things like a cartoon in the newspaper. Kill innocent Christians that doesn’t even know who drew the cartoon.
Read the Quran, it’s all about the Arabs. They even have their own style of writing.
Read the bible, it's all about the Jews. There was no prophet from China or Nigeria in the book. The Israelites are God's “chosen” people.
Before the two religions came to Nigeria, most people were idol worshippers. Even now there are more hypocrites in Nigeria than i can tell. Most people still practice idol worshipping secretly.
The religious people are confused. Some will tell you Jesus is God, others will say he is the Son of God. Some wears white garment, read different bibles. The Muslims have the shites, Sunnis and different other sect. It’s all about self-interest.
I feel sorry for Nigerian cause most are ignorant. They run around looking for miracles, everywhere. All the religious leaders perform one miracle or the other to gain crowd. You will see all form of miracles. It made me wonder if God gave Nigerians special powers.
When you show people the scam called religion, for those that care to listen. They will tell you they just want to believe even though they agree what you are saying is logically correct. They are scared of hell. Some people like my sister is even scared to talk to me about religion cuz she thinks God will kill me with the way i talk.
i ask them why Jesus had to die? Why does god need to see blood to forgive human? I ask how possible it is for an Angel to drop the Quran (written in Arabic) to Muhammad in a cave? I went deep down to the origin of the so-called holy books. Most of the stories just didn’t add up. Myth like human eating apple, which is the reason why we die. What of plants and animals, did they eat the fruit too? Jonah in the stomach of a fish, splitting the red sea, somebody ascending to heaven. All form of ridiculous things?
Somebody even told me i know too much. Is knowledge a disadvantage? Some of my friends are even scared. They think i am the antichrist. It funny. They always avoid talking religion when I’m around cuz they know i will have something to say.
I had an Uncle that died of kidney problem. Instead of him to seek medical help, he was going to churches to cast and bind. He eventually died.
Another one of my neighbor had birth complications after being warned earlier by a doctor that she was going to need a cesarean. She ran to a white garment church and eventually had a stillbirth. She bleed to death.
Go tell an imam or a pastor that you are hungry. Instead of these people to offer you food, they will begin cast & bind the hunger. I could go on about all the ludicrous stories I have witnessed or heard.
I have a group of very intelligent friends. Last year most of our discussions were centered on religion cuz I had an opinion that seem unhealthy to them. 2 are now Freethinkers. 1 is agnostic the remaining are scared to break free. Some just insist they want to believe cuz of fire. One will tell me "i have nothing to lose in believing"
There are books i read that changed my thinking, FREEDOM OFCHOICE- Thomas schalko, DA Vinci Code- Dan Brown, Angels and demon- Dan Brown, AGE OF REASON-Thomas Paine, There are other influence, some posting by Huxley & some other people on the Nairaland religion section.
When it comes to religion people think with their emotions rather than their brain. There is a difference between conventional or perceived opinion about a subject & the truth. They do not want to see that.
My mum knows that i do not believe in God. She just has to accept that. My dad doesn’t, but one day he will find out. I will be in control of my own life by then.
What drive people to religion are questions like Where are we from? What is our purpose on earth? And where are we going when we die? Religion answers does questions.
My own opinion is, there is a creator but this creator has nothing to do with religion. Our purpose on earth is whatever we make it. Roger federer & tennis. Hitler & the war.
if roger had train as a footballer and became a good one. They will tell you that is his destiny.
Where we came from? i do not know, my earliest memory was when i was 3 years old. i didn’t know anything in my mums womb. Just like death.
There are lots of mysteries in this world, things we do not have answers. Does that mean we should settle for the readily available answer?
I know a guy that got stabbed with a sharp bottle but cannot be pierced. My dad old guard used to disappear. These are not hearsay, these are two mysteries I witnessed but cannot explain. (I had to add these stories cuz of the MISSING WINNIE story. Those things do happen in Nigeria)
I also wonder which hell I am going to, is it the Muslim’s or the Christian’s cuz all religion promise you goodies in the after life, that is for the believers of course and you the non believers are going to hell. For the Muslims, the Christians are going to hell and vice versa.
I have also come to the term that there are forces in this world that science cannot explain.
People will believe or do anything provided you tell them God told it to you.
I have left religious apologist to their ignorance but i also respect their choice of believing cuz they are exercising their freedom of choice. i am careful about sharing my religious opinion cuz some people will maim you. i don’t talk except i am compelled to.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by huxley(m): 4:07pm On Feb 15, 2009
Riff-Raff:

My journey into atheism was a slow and gradual process. I grew up in a home where my dad was a Muslim an Alhaji for that matter and my mum was a Christian.
All my early life I have towed the line of Christianity and Islam. I have in-depth knowledge about the two religions.
I was thinking about the world in general and the purpose of human life one day, I thought deep about life & religion.
I started asking questions about God from theists. I read the bible and Quran; there were so many questions to be asked. Whenever I ask the theist those questions, they will tell me “you cannot ask God questions” during my research on religion, i came to the conclusion that religion was a scam. I found out we human need to believe in something, hence the worshiping of stones, statues, people, ghost and all form of ridiculous things.
You will be amazed what people will do in the name of religion. There was a reverend: King in Nigeria committed murder, burning some of his church members in the process. After his death sentence, his church members kept on spreading his flyers. He was performing revival for members in prison. Goggle Reverend Jim Jones, his story is baffling cuz I kept wondering what the guy told his congregation that will make them commit suicide with him.
Pastor Chris had a man allegedly blind from birth healed on national TV. He showed him a color and the guy knew the color Blue. Can somebody please tell me how somebody that has been blind from birth know color accurately?
Sati guru Maraji says that he is God. A lot of people believe him. The Muslims will fight war at ridiculous things like a cartoon in the newspaper. Kill innocent Christians that doesn’t even know who drew the cartoon.
Read the Quran, it’s all about the Arabs. They even have their own style of writing.
Read the bible, it's all about the Jews. There was no prophet from China or Nigeria in the book. The Israelites are God's “chosen” people.
Before the two religions came to Nigeria, most people were idol worshippers. Even now there are more hypocrites in Nigeria than i can tell. Most people still practice idol worshipping secretly.
The religious people are confused. Some will tell you Jesus is God, others will say he is the Son of God. Some wears white garment, read different bibles. The Muslims have the shites, Sunnis and different other sect. It’s all about self-interest.
I feel sorry for Nigerian cause most are ignorant. They run around looking for miracles, everywhere. All the religious leaders perform one miracle or the other to gain crowd. You will see all form of miracles. It made me wonder if God gave Nigerians special powers.
When you show people the scam called religion, for those that care to listen. They will tell you they just want to believe even though they agree what you are saying is logically correct. They are scared of hell. Some people like my sister is even scared to talk to me about religion cuz she thinks God will kill me with the way i talk.
i ask them why Jesus had to die? Why does god need to see blood to forgive human? I ask how possible it is for an Angel to drop the Quran (written in Arabic) to Muhammad in a cave? I went deep down to the origin of the so-called holy books. Most of the stories just didn’t add up. Myth like human eating apple, which is the reason why we die. What of plants and animals, did they eat the fruit too? Jonah in the stomach of a fish, splitting the red sea, somebody ascending to heaven. All form of ridiculous things?
Somebody even told me i know too much. Is knowledge a disadvantage?  Some of my friends are even scared. They think i am the antichrist. It funny. They always avoid talking religion when I’m around cuz they know i will have something to say.
I had an Uncle that died of kidney problem. Instead of him to seek medical help, he was going to churches to cast and bind. He eventually died.
Another one of my neighbor had birth complications after being warned earlier by a doctor that she was going to need a cesarean. She ran to a white garment church and eventually had a stillbirth. She bleed to death.
Go tell an imam or a pastor that you are hungry. Instead of these people to offer you food, they will begin cast & bind the hunger. I could go on about all the ludicrous stories I have witnessed or heard.   
I have a group of very intelligent friends. Last year most of our discussions were centered on religion cuz I had an opinion that seem unhealthy to them. 2 are now Freethinkers. 1 is agnostic the remaining are scared to break free. Some just insist they want to believe cuz of fire. One will tell me "i have nothing to lose in believing"
There are books i read that changed my thinking, FREEDOM OFCHOICE- Thomas schalko, DA Vinci Code- Dan Brown, Angels and demon- Dan Brown, AGE OF REASON-Thomas Paine,  There are other influence, some posting by Huxley & some other people on the Nairaland religion section.
When it comes to religion people think with their emotions rather than their brain. There is a difference between conventional or perceived opinion about a subject & the truth. They do not want to see that.
My mum knows that i do not believe in God. She just has to accept that. My dad doesn’t, but one day he will find out. I will be in control of my own life by then.
What drive people to religion are questions like Where are we from? What is our purpose on earth? And where are we going when we die? Religion answers does questions.
My own opinion is, there is a creator but this creator has nothing to do with religion. Our purpose on earth is whatever we make it. Roger federer & tennis. Hitler & the war.
if roger had train as a footballer and became a good one. They will tell you that is his destiny.
Where we came from?  i do not know, my earliest memory was when i was 3 years old. i didn’t know anything in my mums womb. Just like death.
There are lots of mysteries in this world, things we do not have answers. Does that mean we should settle for the readily available answer?
I know a guy that got stabbed with a sharp bottle but cannot be pierced. My dad old guard used to disappear. These are not hearsay, these are two mysteries I witnessed but cannot explain. (I had to add these stories cuz of the MISSING WINNIE story. Those things do happen in Nigeria)
I also wonder which hell I am going to, is it the Muslim’s or the Christian’s cuz all religion promise you goodies in the after life, that is for the believers of course and you the non believers are going to hell. For the Muslims, the Christians are going to hell and vice versa.
I have also come to the term that there are forces in this world that science cannot explain.
People will believe or do anything provided you tell them God told it to you.
I have left religious apologist to their ignorance but i also respect their choice of believing cuz they are exercising their freedom of choice. i am careful about sharing my religious opinion cuz some people will maim you. i don’t talk except i am compelled to.

Heartening to learning about your story and how you are doing some freethinking in an extremely unwelcoming and irrational society.  I can only say "More grease to your elbow".  The world needs more poeple like you who are able to exercise their brains and apply it to the big questions of reality.  Nothing that humans have achieved thus far was handed to us on a plate - it has coem to us by the sheer hard work of the human mind.  Revelatory means of explaining the nature of reality have proven to be not only unreliable but utter falsehoods.  I am glad that you and some of your friends are no longer satisfy with the revelatory systems from the infancy  of humanity but to cast your lot with more rational and naturalistic ways of viewing the world.

I am also glad to learn that some of my post have help you in achieving a better understanding of religions and to see how harmful it is to society.  It makes all my efforts worthwhile, and it puts more grease to my elbows.   Many thanks for sharing that with us.

There are many resource on the web about atheism, religions, scientific rationalism and naturalistic philosophy.  I shall soon be putting out a post detailing some of these to aid readers with developing their rational and critical thinking skills.  In the meantime, why don't you do a search of book by George Smith, called atheism.   It is a good introduction to the subject.   I will also recommend you share with your friends.  Check out this book by Smith. It is a very good introduction to the subject.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by BloodShed1: 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2009
Riff-Raff:

SPOT ON!!

I noticed that from early on in my life. When i was a Christian I always wondered why these abrahamic religions are supposedly for everyone in the world when they only seem to reflect on the geographical area.
Religion is separated by demographics. This alone should tell you that something is wrong here. If God knew that people outside of the middle east wont worship him because they had their own religions then why not just appear to everyone? Especially since you always get these comparisons about how big and grand, all-knowing blah blah that God supposedly is.

Yet all we get is hearsay.

But anytime I bring this up to a Christian they always change the subject or respond nervously with a ridiculous answer saying ''God has his ways, you cant question''. Yet if I mentioned it regarding another religion they'd agree with me.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 5:37am On Feb 21, 2009
I'm an atheist and I live in Nigeria.

You think its bad for guys, try having a girl being an atheist then its a double blow!!! You hear people telling you that you will never get married, never be happy, never amount to much in life with your way of questioning anything and everything religious.

Hmmmphm! angry
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 9:54pm On Feb 21, 2009
ehhh? shocked undecided

Why dont you so-called Atheist just live your lives

without thinking about Religion or Whether God Exists. . .

If you like claim to Not believe theres any God why does it still constantly

nag your brain. undecided, mind boggling eh.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 10:07pm On Feb 21, 2009
Wow i would never have thought spikedcylinder was atheist.

spikedcylinder:

You think its bad for guys, try having a girl being an atheist then its a double blow!!! You hear people telling you that you will never get married, never be happy, never amount to much in life with your way of questioning anything and everything religious

does this come from your family and friends?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 10:09pm On Feb 21, 2009
Gamine:

ehhh? shocked undecided

why won't communists leave capitalists alone

why won't liberals leave conservatives alone

why won't davidlyan leave muslims alone grin

I hope you get the point. you can't isolate yourself from society. Atheists aren't amish. well there could be amish atheists.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 21, 2009
why wont bawomolo leave my name alone? grin
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 10:19pm On Feb 21, 2009
Gamine:

ehhh? shocked undecided

I havent been to nigeria in about 5 years but i know very well that the people living there will never accept you if you tell them that you are an atheist. there are christians pastors who have been talking about islam endlessly for ages. there are christian websites set up to talk about islam and atheist, why do christians constantly nag about moslems? mind boggling eh?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 11:22pm On Feb 21, 2009
bawomolo:

Well, now you know. smiley

It comes from everybody o, family, friends, strangers. These days, I just try to ignore religious gibberish.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 11:24pm On Feb 21, 2009
Why would you tell someone you are Atheist

Why the label.

im just trying to understand your reasoning.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 21, 2009
toneyb:

I havent been to nigeria in about 5 years but i know very well that the people living there will never accept you if you tell them that you are an atheist. there are christians pastors who have been talking about islam endlessly for ages. there are christian websites set up to talk about islam and atheist, why do christians constantly nag about moslems? mind boggling eh?

this is absurd upside down thinking. Islam is simply the negation of christianity dressed in the garb of an independent religion. Islam appropriates christian biblical characters as its own, claims the very basis of Christianity (Jesus Christ) is nothing but a mere slave of allah, claims the bible (half of which it argues is either lost or corrupted - they cant form an opinion) was sent by allah . . . if christians talk about islam its not because they have an interest in doing so, its simply because they want to make sure many outside there can sift the truth from the many lies of islam.

If there are christian websites talking about athiesm it is because atheism is itself built around attacking christianity. You dont find christian websites dedicated to Sango worshippers, hindus, buddhists . . . they dont bother us, we dont bother them either.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 11:52pm On Feb 21, 2009
davidylan:

this is absurd upside down thinking. Islam is simply the negation of christianity dressed in the garb of an independent religion. Islam appropriates christian biblical characters as its own, claims the very basis of Christianity (Jesus Christ) is nothing but a mere slave of allah, claims the bible (half of which it argues is either lost or corrupted - they cant form an opinion) was sent by allah . . . if christians talk about islam its not because they have an interest in doing so, its simply because they want to make sure many outside there can sift the truth from the many lies of islam.

If there are christian websites talking about athiesm it is because atheism is itself built around attacking christianity. You dont find christian websites dedicated to Sango worshippers, hindus, buddhists . . . they dont bother us, we dont bother them either.

The same can be said about christianity and Judaism, everything that christianity(its prophets ,stories foundation and all) got it usurped from judaism killed the religion and created a new god out of it just like islam. Christians and their founders killed jews and strongly advocated their death. jewish books that contradicted the newly created god were censored and burned, example in medieval europe and during the renaissance, the Talmud was subject to censorship and on several occasions it was publicly burned and destroyed. There are no atheist websites dedicated to sango, and vishnu worshippers but there are many dedicated to islam and christianity because of their influence around the world.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:20am On Feb 22, 2009
Why are there Atheist sites dedicated to God-Believing religions

i can wrap some things round my head but this isnt one of those things undecided
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 1:46am On Feb 22, 2009
Why are there Atheist sites dedicated to God-Believing religions

because those are their adversaries? Buddhists don't believe in God so why disturb them
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:42am On Feb 22, 2009
Who disturbed a buddhist

Last time i checked the Christian sites i visit, none of them was talking about any other religion.

If the Atheist, really did believe there was no God, i wonder why this same "God" is the object of their "religion"

oooh, im wondering too much jo,

I dont believe in Atheists jare!!
cheesy
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:56am On Feb 22, 2009
bawomolo:

spikey don talk say she dey find husband wink-
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:12am On Feb 22, 2009
toneyb:

The same can be said about christianity and Judaism, everything that christianity(its prophets ,stories foundation and all) got it usurped from judaism killed the religion and created a new god out of it just like islam. Christians and their founders killed jews and strongly advocated their death. jewish books that contradicted the newly created god were censored and burned, example in medieval europe and during the renaissance, the Talmud was subject to censorship and on several occasions it was publicly burned and destroyed. There are no atheist websites dedicated to sango, and vishnu worshippers but there are many dedicated to islam and christianity because of their influence around the world.

it becomes even more apparent that you neither understand christianity nor judaism. Christianity could not have usurped Judaism because it was started and propagated by JEWS! Christ (from whom the name christians is derived) was a full-fledged Jew. Judaism was the law, christianity is simply fellowship with God under a different law . . . thaty under grace instead of the law of sin and death. Christ came as the perfect sacrifice, replacing the need for the blood of bulls and goats that existed under the old judaic law.

Christians didnt "kill" jews, roman catholics did. The largest support for Israel comes from the evangelical christian movement in the USA which is why the US will always remain a staunch ally of the state of Israel.

Get your facts right before stumbling into discussions.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 5:19am On Feb 22, 2009
Lol the way you're all chirping together, one would thy you're all closet homosexuals  cheesy

Nothing out of the ordinary or a big deal about being an atheist. You dont believe in any kind of God. That's fine, what's the whole "patting on the back" for though?  

Yea you have people stating "oh I feel sorry for you" blah blah, big deal. Christians say the same to Muslims, Muslims say the same to Christians, vegans say it to meat eaters  grin

Whatever, do your own abi?

Spike, dont you know they all want "God fearing woman" tongue  grin Tell me your story sef wink
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 7:23am On Feb 22, 2009
If the Atheist, really did believe there was no God, i wonder why this same "God" is the object of their "religion"

There is no atheist religion and who told you Atheists spend that much time thinking about a non-entity. It's the Religious sub-section so of course it seems that way.

oyb:

spikey don talk say she dey find husband wink-

he he tongue
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2009
davidylan:

it becomes even more apparent that you neither understand christianity nor judaism.

It has become more apparent that you are the one that will rather continue to believe the lie that your pastors and parents have been telling you since childhood.

Christianity could not have usurped Judaism because it was started and propagated by JEWS! Christ (from whom the name christians is derived) was a full-fledged Jew.

Who were the Jews that started christianity? Paul that spent all his time preaching to the gentiles when jesus warned his disciples against doing that? that's if we are to go by what the bible says? (I'll leave that for another discussion).

Judaism was the law, christianity is simply fellowship with God under a different law . . . thaty under grace instead of the law of sin and death. .

This is the lie that christians keep bandying from generation to generation, if christianity is the new law why are most of the jews in the world still practicing judaism? why don't they believe in jesus christ at all? in fact they have no record of him(jesus) at all and we are supposed to believe that he came and lived amongst them? the jews have no single record of anything the bible says that jesus did anywhere. they dont have any of his writings, history, events he did, he was not even talked about in their religious text. christianity is fellowship with the new god that the gentiles with the help of paul created out of the old god of judaism. even in the bible we have instances where jesus directed the jews to continue following OT Mosaic Law in every detail (works, not faith).Then along comes Paul, who never met Jesus, except in a miraculous vision (he claims), and turns Jesus teachings around, preaching to the Gentiles and telling them they can disregard OT Law.

Christ came as the perfect sacrifice, replacing the need for the blood of bulls and goats that existed under the old judaic law 

That is according to the bible, there is no where in the hebrew bible where anything about the coming of jesus or the changing of the law were ever mentioned. read the JPS or stone edition of the hebrew bible and show me whether it contains any prophecy about jesus or changing of the law. The vast majority of Jews rejected Jesus' claims to be the Messiah, and still reject him to this day because all the christian claim are not found in their scriptures, all the prophecies in the christain bible about jesus were either mistranslated or misinterpreted by the early christian founders from the original jewish scriptures. jews have their religious books that predated christianity to support their claims, all christians have is the septuagint which is full of errors, deliberate mistranslation and omissions of some books. The Septuagint also include some books not found in the Hebrew Bible.

Christians didnt "kill" jews, roman catholics did. 

Martin Luther who is the founder of the modern day protestant movement strongly advocated the death and destruction of the jews. christian leaders have been hoping for the destruction of the jews in europe during the dark ages because they knew that their existence was a great threat to christianity. Jewish books were edited, censored, banned or burned publicly, why did the early christians burn and destroy some jewish books that they did not agree with if truly there were preaching the right thing? what were they afraid of? why were they afraid of the jews?

here is a little from martin luther founder of the modern day protestant movement

In 1543 Luther published On the Jews and Their Lies in which he says that the Jews are a "base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth."[13] They are full of the "devil's feces ,  which they wallow in like swine."[14] The synagogue was a "defiled bride, yes, an incorrigible LovePeddler and an evil slut , "[15] He argues that their synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes razed, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[16] afforded no legal protection,[17] and these "poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time. He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "we are at fault in not slaying them."

"Drive them [Jews] like mad dogs from our land,  let not one of them live, "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_and_antisemitism

[b]The largest support for Israel comes from the evangelical christian movement in the USA [/b]which is why the US will always remain a staunch ally of the state of Israel.

The USA is a strong ally of Israel for political and economic gain first and foremost, the Ku klux klan who at a time included about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men preached amongst other things the death and destruction of the jews. most of them like the present evangelicals of today were based in the south.

Get your facts right before stumbling into discussions.

You are the one that needs to get your facts right and stop repeating things that you were told since you were a little kid.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by banom(m): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2009
What is ATHEISM, i would like to become one.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by PastorAIO: 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2009
spikedcylinder:

You think its bad for guys, try having a girl being an atheist then its a double blow!!! You hear people telling you that you will never get married, never be happy, never amount to much in life with your way of questioning anything and everything religious.

Hmmmphm!

I can marry you, don't worry about that. The more important hurdle with me is that you have to be fine! and secondly you've got to have a sweet disposition. Your culinary skills have to be tight too cos I'm a mean cook and it will be a disgrace for a woman to be a worse cook than her husband. If you can pass these tests then your atheism need not be a problem.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 6:45pm On Feb 22, 2009

Hmmmphm!
spikedcylinder is an atheist?  shocked shocked shocked Join the club i wouldn't mind marrying you coz i guess it would be easier than telling my babe based in nigeria that am an atheist
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2009
banom:

What is ATHEISM, i would like to become one.
How can you say u want to become an ATHIEST when u don't even know what an ATHEIST is?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by huxley(m): 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2009
I really LOVE the idea of two atheists, meeting here on NL and eventually getting married.   Wouldn't that be lovely.

On a lighter note,  don't you guys think this calls to more organising and activism amongst the atheist, wherever they may live.  Surely such organising would create more opportunities for them to meet and even marry and raise rational, freethinking and scientifically-minded children.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by gozzilla(m): 7:13pm On Feb 22, 2009
Quite strange the kids will be. Imagine in a questionaire with two religion listed what would your kid tick. ,
secondly i can not understand the idea of one having a belief that basically is just about denying another belief. What does an atheist believe, that there is no God. What does an atheist have as his core belief, there is no God. What is the conversation of an atheist, once again denial of God.
So imagine spending all your life denying another belief. it is sad to "claim" to be an atheist.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by jagunlabi(m): 7:21pm On Feb 22, 2009
This clip here may not quite be for atheists(more for spiritually minded folks),but it kind of analyse the situation religious nigerians find themselves and why they are the way they are.
It is a long clip,but i think the man described the nigerian psysche quite well in it.
Here is the video clip(a bit long but worth watching),DISEASES OF THE MIND
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2009
gozzilla:

Quite strange the kids will be. Imagine in a questionaire with two religion listed what would your kid tick. ,
secondly [bi can not understand the idea of one having a belief that basically is just about denying another belief. What does an atheist believe, that there is no God.][/b] What does an atheist have as his core belief, there is no God. What is the conversation of an atheist, once again denial of God.
So imagine spending all your life denying another belief. it is sad to "claim" to be an atheist.
Am an atheist and i don't feel sad about being one. Atheism is nothing to do with belief but lack of belief. I don't believe in God or any God for that matter i believe in evolution
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Cactus(m): 7:39pm On Feb 22, 2009
An experience I had.

I went to visit my sister's friend and then the issue turned to me having a girlfriend. Then she asked, do you have a girlfriend. I said yes. Then she asked where is she from. I then replied China. Immediately, she responded, dont marry non-Christians. So I asked why? Then she said something like most Chinese are not Christians. I said true that she doesnt practice any religion.

My sister's friend kept on insisting that I should not marry a non christian girl. So I thought for a couple of minutes while waiting for the bus. Then I asked her, if you say I should only marry a true born-again christian,

So that means that billions of women around the world are not good enough to become wives? As many women are nonchristians.

What makes marrying a "TRUE CHRISTIAN" woman be a good wife? "There are no guarantees"

What if it is the non christian woman that makes the perfect wife, mom, and best friend?

Unfortunately she never had any time to answer as the bus came. But I think she was stunned and surprised with my questions. Life goes on, its a beautiful world and appreciate the beauty and diversity of everyone.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by jagunlabi(m): 7:50pm On Feb 22, 2009
Here is another good but shorter clip that describes very accurately the nigerian psyche in the context of religion,The Childish Idea Of God

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Truth About The Word "Sin" And It's Origin. / Apostle G. D. Numbere Is Dead / Understanding The Mystery And Meaning Of Masturbation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.