Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,172 members, 7,842,368 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Atheists Based In Nigeria - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Based In Nigeria (8290 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by birdman(m): 7:20am On Feb 23, 2009
Good thoughts toneyb, though i think its pointless to argue atheism/agnosticism with any religion. It usually takes a life changing or dramatic event to give a christian or muslim enough "intellectual balls" to ask questions that lurk in every believer and non-believer's mind.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 7:26am On Feb 23, 2009
Hello Spikedcylinder,

Am curious about how you came to atheism in an environment like Nigeria.  What lines of thought or reasoning led you to disbelieve the claims of the superstitionist that seem to occupy every nook and cranny in Nigeria.

First, I think it had to do with the slaps I received from my mom as a kid whenever I asked why god had to be 3 people. Then, later it had to do with questioning the divinity of Christ and the bible in general. I think what really did it though was when I was given independence to think and act on my own.
Besides, I don't do mass following.  wink
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by BloodShed1: 9:53am On Feb 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

First, I think it had to do with the slaps I received from my mom as a kid whenever I asked why god had to be 3 people. Then, later it had to do with questioning the divinity of Christ and the bible in general. I think what really did it though was when I was given independence to think and act on my own.
Besides, I don't do mass following. wink

A female atheist, based in Naija?? Seen, where in Naija do you live? How old are you as well? Cos I know that even a grown adult would still get that in Nigeria if they say they disbelieve.

My fam weren't like that to me whenever I questioned, actually I think my mum is quite liberal compared to many of the Christians I see out here. She obviously doesnt agree with my lack of belief but she's cool with it I guess. Certain family members of mine know but aye they can deal with it or get the f@ck back for all I care.

Everytime a female always approaches me with that religious crap I always tell them I dont believe, then I end up debating with them, then I realise I should shut up because we're in Nigeria.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 9:58am On Feb 23, 2009
Blood_Shed:

A female atheist, based in Naija?? Seen, where in Naija do you live? How old are you as well? Cos I know that even a grown adult would still get that in Nigeria if they say they disbelieve.

My fam weren't like that to me whenever I questioned, actually I think my mum is quite liberal compared to many of the Christians I see out here. She obviously doesnt agree with my lack of belief but she's cool with it I guess. Certain family members of mine know but aye they can deal with it or get the f@ck back for all I care.

Everytime a female always approaches me with that religious crap I always tell them I dont believe, then I end up debating with them, then I realise I should shut up because we're in Nigeria.

You should not debate, its useless. Just smile through their crap, its the only thing that works.
I live in Lagos, I'm 24. smiley
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by BloodShed1: 10:05am On Feb 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

You should not debate, its useless. Just smile through their crap, its the only thing that works.

O seen you live in Lagos? Damn, well , i guess it aint too hard for an atheist out there compared to, I dunno, Kano, The East or any rural parts of the country. Part of me says I cant wait to finish my NYSC and go back to London though, but just because I'm tired of going to church and just sitting there like a lemon doing nothing. The thing is, my uncle and aunty know I dont believe yet my aunty asks funny questions like ''do you go to church because you want to?''. Are you serious? lol. I'm liking my stay in Naija though.

And when they start to talk about their beliefs in an attempt to ''enlighten me'' I just smile and nod my head. But I do really believe they are mentally ill. ''Dee Devil eez a lyyaaar''. How can epople just let their kids say things like that, people should take responsibility for their own actions.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 12:51pm On Feb 23, 2009
davidylan:

neither do i like debating atheists because all you have is unbelief.

belief vs unbelief eh?

Jews propagated christianity to the world. Brits and Americans didnt go learn christianity in Israel

I never knew Jews were christians last time i heard over 90 percent of the jews in israel practice judaism.

America, Australia and NZ are simply European-colonized lands.

I dont know what this has got to do with anything.

Questions like this are better ignored. If they didnt exist it would be worldwide knowledge by now not confined to the rantings of atheist blogs.

Yeah any question that put a dent to you belief should best be ignored. very true. Did mohammed wite the koran? billions believe he did, and to them it he truly did not write the koran it will be world wide knowledge that he did not write the koran, There is absolute no record  to show that they ever existed.

From the Rabbinic talmud - "On the eve of Passover they hanged Yeshu (of Nazareth) … he hath practiced sorcery and beguiled and led astray Israel. Let everyone knowing aught in his defense come and plead for him. But they found naught in his defense and hanged him on the eve of Passover"

Is this your evidence from the Talmud? By the way the Nazareth that you put up there in bracket is your own addition nothing like Yeshu of nazareth exist in the the Talmud itself christian apologist try to change the word HaNotzri to mean nazarene which is an out right lie. Notzri does not necessarily mean Nazarene. It is actually a biblical term (Jeremiah 4:16).  it was a term used to refer to many strong communities.  The name "Ben Netzar" was used by the Talmud to refer to the famous chief of robbers Odenathus of Palmyra [see Marcus Jastrow's Dictionary p. 930]

By the way i noticed you ommited the part that will automatically refute your claims that the passage was talking about jesus of the bible. you did not put up the passage in full. when will christians stop lying?

Here is what the Talmud says:
  "On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy.  Anyone who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was[b] hanged [/b] on the eve of the Passover."     

How does this come close to show that this is the same jesus that was talked about in the bible? we have a passage in the Talmud that says a man was hanged for sorcery. It's not the Jesus of the Bible, is it? Talmud doesn't say anything about this man claiming to be the son of God or rising from the dead, either. The name Yeshu alone was very common. nothing in the story fits anything we know about Jesusof the bible. The talmud says that the Yeshu lived about a century before Jesus of the bible. The Yeshu talked about in the Talmud was executed by a Jewish court and not by the Romans.

Yeah . . . no record at all 

Absolute no record at all. Philo, a prolific Jewish writer who lived from 20 BCE to 50 CE, wrote extensively about the political and theological movements throughout the Mediterranean, and his views foreshadowed Christian theology, yet he never once wrote anything about Jesus. Not only this, but he actually wrote about political conflicts between the Jews and Pontius Pilate in Judea.

*Philo's writings foreshadow Christian ideas in many ways
*Almost all of the works of Philo are preserved
*Some of Philo's writings may have been used by the authors of the Gospels
*Philo's life perfectly spans the supposed life of Jesus
*Philo was a community leader and active in the social movements of his day
*Philo reported on the political and religious events of his day
*Philo provides the only contemporary account of Pontius Pilate in all of ancient literature
*Philo personally knew several of the historical figures in the Jesus story
*Philo would surely have written about someone like "Jesus Christ" if he had known of him

Justus of Tiberias made no mention of the Christian Jesus at all even though he lived during the time the bible says Jesus was healing the sick, raising the dead, feed five thousand(and four thousand the next day), having a lot of followers, dead body of saints rasing up and walking all over the city for people to see, earth quake and mid day darkness when jesus was crucified. He never wrote anything about it at all. And the fact that Justus of Tiberias made no mention of Jesus has "baffled" scholars for centuries.

Philo of Alexandria a Jewish historian, philosopher, theologian, and community leader who lived from 20 BCE to 50 CE in Alexandria Egypt, but reported on events throughout the Mediterranean world. He specifically wrote about conflicts between Pontius Pilate and Jews during Pilate's governorship of Judea. He never said anything about jesus. another roman writer and historian that was higly respected at that time that was alive and was supposed to have mentioned jesus or any of the things the bible said he did was Pliny the Elder(he is not jewish). The overwhelming lack of commentary about Jesus in the historical sources of his supposed time has troubled Christians from the very beginning. The jews have no record of him at all.

Here we go again. More copying from atheist rants. If Josephus didnt exist or didnt write anything about Christ it would be common knowledge by now.

Where did i say that Josephus never exsited? you are the one that is ranting. i noticed you refuse to to address the evidence i provided to show that it was a forgery, you just fired on with the normal pattern of apologetics you guys always do. Its very common knowledge that josephus never wrote anything about jesus. The catholic bishop  Eusebius  forged the passage. by the way so many christians agree it was a forgery. Bishop Warburton denounced it as "a rank forgery and a very stupid one, too". You are quick to point to josephus but you always fail to tell people that Josephus also meticulously documented the life of King Herod, unfortunatley stating the fact that Herod was long dead by the time the Romans decided to take a census, ruining any likelihood that Joseph and Mary would have been on their way to Bethlehem during Herod's reign. He also failed to mention any acts of infanticide commited on Herod's orders(this account is only found in the bible).

Josephus mentions and writes in details about one "John the Baptist". There are more than enough differences between his account and those found in the gospels. Interesting he places John the Baptis's death at a date later than that given for Jesus' death, even though the gospels all agree that John the baptist died first.

So are you still going to be talking about Josephus?

The same old recycled questions . . . i must have read this from Huxley, Bindex, Mazaje now . . . do you guys have something new?

Ever read a biography written by a professional biographer? Where does he claim authorship of the work?

grin grin grin what has professional biography got to do with this? The bibe says that this men wrote the gospels but there is no where in the gospel where they said they did. There accounts of events are so contradictory that it will leave the avarage reader more confused. Example where did jesus first appear to the eleven disciples?  In a room in Jerusalem according to Luke 24:32-37.  On a mountain in Galilee according to  Matthew 28:15-17. So which is it? room or mountain? Jerusalem or Galilee? A room is not a mountain and Jerusalem is not Galilee(The 11 disciples can not be in Jerusalem and Galilee at the same time). And we are supposed to believe that this are the accounts of eye witness who witnessed all that happened despite the fact that they got it all mixed up in their accounts.(this is just one there are many more). same eye witness writting about the same men and same events in very contratictory ways eh?

Ah the prophecy of the
virgin birth is in the book of Isaiah
, Jews have a copy in their talmud.

Here is another christian apologist that is hell bent on telling a lie. the word "virgin" does not appear in the seventh chapter of Isaiah in the hebrew bible. The author of the first Gospel deliberately mistranslated the Hebrew word ha'almah as "a virgin."  This Hebrew word ha'almah does not mean "a virgin."  It means "the young woman," with no implication of virginity. If the writer of Isaiah had wanted to spefically say virgin, he would have used betulah, a common word used in other areas of the OT that only means virgin. The seventh chapter of the Book of Isaiah begins by describing the military crisis that was confronting King Ahaz of the Kingdom of Judah.  In about the year 732 B.C.E. the House of David was facing imminent destruction at the hands of two warring kingdoms: the northern Kingdom of Israel and the Kingdom of Syria.  These two armies had laid siege to Jerusalem.  The Bible relates that the House of David and King Ahaz were gripped with fear.  Chapter seven relates how God sent the prophet Isaiah to reassure King Ahaz that divine protection was at hand. The Almighty would protect him, their deliverance was assured, and these two hostile armies would fail in their attempt to subjugate Jerusalem.  In Isaiah 7 we read,

, : "Let us go up against Judah and provoke it, and annex it to us; and let us crown a king in its midst, one who is good for us."  So said the Lord God, "Neither shall it succeed, nor shall it come to pass . . . ." ' "  The Lord continued to speak to Ahaz, saying, "Ask for yourself a sign from the Lord, your God; ask it either in the depths, or in the heights above."  Ahaz said, "I will not ask, and I will not test the Lord."  Then he said, "Listen now, O House of David, is it little for you to weary men, that you weary my God as well?  Therefore the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign: Behold the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel.  Cream and honey he shall eat when he knows to reject bad and choose good; for, when the lad does not yet know to reject bad and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread, shall be abandoned."

It is clear from this chapter that Isaiah's declaration was a prophecy of the unsuccessful siege of Jerusalem by the two armies of the Kingdoms of Israel and Syria, not a virgin birth more than 700 years later.  If we interpret this chapter as referring to Jesus' birth, what possible comfort and assurance would Ahaz, who was surrounded by to overwhelming military enemies, have found in the birth of a child seven centuries later?  Both he and his people would have been long dead and buried.  Such a sign would make no sense.

We see, in II Kings 15-16, that this prophecy was fulfilled when these two kings were suddenly assassinated.  With an understanding of the context of Isaiah 7:14 alone, it is evident that the child born in Isaiah 7:14 is not referring to Jesus or to any future virgin birth.  Rather, it is referring to the divine protection that Ahaz and his people would enjoy from their impending destruction at the hands of these two enemies, the northern Kingdom of Israel and Syria.

Do these folks just make this up as they go along? Amazing how foolish their unproven lies sound. HAVE YOU READ THE HEBREW BIBLE OR DID YOU JUST COPY THIS FROM AN EQUALLY DELUDED ATHEIST TOO?

For some one whose mum is jewish you shouldn't be asking me this question. My dad is a Nigerian but my mum is a non practicing Jew from poland. She still has her version of the Jewish bible at home even though she never reads it. Bottom line the Jewish bible is different from the Christian bible. You wouldn't be asking me this question if you have ever seen one.

Read Matthew . . . the pharisees quoted Isaiah when reporting the possible birth of the messiah to king Herod. Solid evidence that they KNEW what Isaiah had written. The book of Isaiah was also found among the dead sea scrolls (from the strictest Jewish sect before the fall of Jerusalem)

Who is matthew? There is no record of matthew in any jewish text.

He writes a long long meaningless diatribe and automatically assumes he "has knowledge"?

The idea that any body that questions your belief is fighting it is laughable, on the other hand you write long meaningless apologetics and automatically assume you that know something.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by huxley(m): 1:12pm On Feb 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I am glad for you, that you came to this realisation relatively young in life. There is nothing as immoral as spending a lifetime in a deceitful and corrupt organisation like religions and Christianity. There is just no way one can live a philosophically consistent life that accords more with the true nature of reality as a religionist. You all the better for having made this discovery early in your life.

I would like to urge you to think about how your life might be in 15, 20 30 years time? Do you think the main and significant people in your life would be deceitful, morally corrupt, intellectually dishonest religionists? Could you bear coming home to find your children being taught the narratives of Genesis as though there were true? Could you bear sending your children to schools that taught them that 2+4=10?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by KarmaMod(f): 8:00pm On Feb 23, 2009
spike was there ever a period of agnosticism or was it straight atheism?

That aside

The problem most people have with atheist is that they like to believe that because they dont follow a religion or go according a rule book, that they're smarter than those who believe in a certain faith. Most of you here have proven my point.

I dont believe in Wicca yet I dont go around following them questioning them or telling them they're daft or "sheep" because of it. It's stupid and an utter waste of time trying sooo hard to prove that you're "cooler" than those who rely on a spirtual being.

why are most atheist bothered by such things?

The only group that arent obnoxious of the "Christians, Muslims, atheists, etc " are Buddahists.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 23, 2009
trust me when i tell you toneyb that the reason i am reluctant to engage you is not because you have any solid point but because i have debated Huxley, Bindex, duduspace and many others on the VERY SAME ISSUES you pretend are originally your own. Most of the points you raise have been debated indepth and thrashed for the opportunistic false claims they are.

It is obvious from the lukewarm reception that a lot of us are tired of the same old recycled allegations. Enjoy assuming you sound intelligent.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 10:09am On Feb 24, 2009
KarmaMod:

spike was there ever a period of agnosticism or was it straight atheism?

There was a long period of being agnostic for me.

That aside

The problem most people have with atheist is that they like to believe that because they dont follow a religion or go according a rule book, that they're smarter than those who believe in a certain faith. Most of you here have proven my point.

I dont believe in Wicca yet I dont go around following them questioning them or telling them they're daft or "sheep" because of it. It's stupid and an utter waste of time trying sooo hard to prove that you're "cooler" than those who rely on a spirtual being.

why are most atheist bothered by such things? 

The only group that arent obnoxious of the "Christians, Muslims, atheists, etc " are Buddahists.

Exactly. A lot of ill informed people assume that because you are not religious, you lack morals.  You can hardly find me in the "my side is better than yours" debates because in the end, no one wins and its just useless!
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

trust me when i tell you toneyb that the reason i am reluctant to engage you is not because you have any solid point but because i have debated Huxley, Bindex, duduspace and many others on the VERY SAME ISSUES you pretend are originally your own. Most of the points you raise have been debated indepth and thrashed for the opportunistic false claims they are.

The only thing that has been debated and thrashed is your own fraudulent activities, you fradulently copied and pasted what was NOT in the Talmud to prove a point. You delibrately ommited some points just to fasely prove that the Talmud was talking about jesus of the bible, after showing you your fradulent attempt you come off as some one that pretends to know what he is saying. Here is the fraud you displayed.

davidylan:

From the Rabbinic talmud - "On the eve of Passover they hanged Yeshu (of Nazareth) … he hath practiced sorcery and beguiled and led astray Israel. Let everyone knowing aught in his defense come and plead for him. But they found naught in his defense and hanged him on the eve of Passover"

Here is what the Rabbinic Talmud says.
"On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy.  Anyone who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of the Passover." 

Where is the Yeshu of Nazareth that you fradulently added to the text? I attached the original hebrew text and there is nothing like Yeshu of Nazareth in the passage(You can get someone that can read hebrew to read it for you). You omitted some parts of the passage that will automatically make rubbish of your claims. did the bible tell you that a herald went forth and cried for 40 days and nights for jesus to be stoned before he was crucified? was jesus hanged? By the way the Yeshu talked about in the Talmud was hanged by the Jewish court not the romans and he was close to the government. Read the talmud in full before frudulently claiming that it says what it does not or adding things that are not inside as you did.

By the way the Synoptic Gospels have Jesus being executed on Passover itself and not the eve of Passover.

Mark 14:12
And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

Mark 15:25
And it was the third hour, and they crucified him

Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

It is obvious from the lukewarm reception that a lot of us are tired of the same old recycled allegations. Enjoy assuming you sound intelligent.

Just as we are also tired of your lies.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 24, 2009
toneyb:

Just as we are also tired of your lies.

No one is forcing you to read the bible. You spend too much time dwelling on a book you think is a fraud. Pick up a logical reasoning textbook and enjoy yourself.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 5:37pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

No one is forcing you to read the bible. You spend too much time dwelling on a book you think is a fraud. Pick up a logical reasoning textbook and enjoy yourself.

Just as you spend too much time reading and dwelling on the koran which you believe is a fraud. pick up the bible read and enjoy yourself. has any body ever forced you to read the koran? I have seen you qoute from it so many time, that shows that you must have read it. why read it when you believe it's a fairy tale?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 24, 2009
toneyb:

Just as you spend too much time reading and dwelling on the koran which you believe is a fraud. pick up the bible read and enjoy yourself. has any body ever forced you to read the koran? I have seen you qoute from it so many time, that shows that you must have read it. why read it when you believe it's a fairy tale?

I dont have a quran, dont intend on owning one. Islam is built entirely around delegitimising christianity which is the only reason anyone bothers about it. Dont worry, i already enjoy the bible. Find a science textbook and have fun.

We've heard it all from more disgruntled atheists. I'm still waiting on huxley and co who never miss an opportunity to tell us how learned they are simply because they dont believe in God.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 6:12pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

I dont have a quran, dont intend on owning one. Islam is built entirely around delegitimising christianity which is the only reason anyone bothers about it. Dont worry, i already enjoy the bible. Find a science textbook and have fun.

Just the same way that jews will tell you that christianity is built entirely around delegitimising Judaism, i have heard so many jews say that. my mum always use to say that.

We've heard it all from more disgruntled atheists. I'm still waiting on huxley and co who never miss an opportunity to tell us how learned they are simply because they dont believe in God

grin grin grin grin
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 24, 2009
toneyb:

Just the same way that jews will tell you that christianity is built entirely around delegitimising Judaism, i have heard so many jews say that. my mum always use to say that.

Is your mom a jew? undecided

Christianity cannot be built around delegitimising judaism, the very first christian leaders were all jews. Judaism for those who understand it (not those who only read about it with a closed mind from atheist websites) is simply a shadow of the new testament.

Found a science textbook yet? Figured out if your IQ has gone up since you dumped the bible?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 7:07pm On Feb 24, 2009
davidylan:

Is your mom a jew? undecided

Sure(my mum is a jew whose parents were originally from poland), even though she doesn't practice judaism anymore she was raised in a strict jewish family. when i left nigeria and came here to be with her back in 1998 she was the one that showed me what judaism is and why jews do not believe in jesus.

Christianity cannot be built around delegitimising judaism, the very first christian leaders were all jews. Judaism for those who understand it (not those who only read about it with a closed mind from atheist websites) is simply a shadow of the new testament.

Are you the one to tell the Jews what their religion teaches them? Judaism is not a shadow of the new testament, stop repeating that lie. Jews do not believe in the new testament and they have every reason not to.

Found a science textbook yet? Figured out if your IQ has gone up since you dumped the bible?

Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 24, 2009
toneyb:

Are you the one to tell the Jews what their religion teaches them? Judaism is not a shadow of the new testament, stop repeating that lie. Jews do not believe in the new testament and they have every reason not to.

the old testament is a shadow of the new. The Jews dont believe in the new testament because they assumed the Messiah would come in the form of a King and help them kick out the Romans.

If you are interested in learning then i am more than welcome to show you.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by toneyb: 10:31pm On Feb 26, 2009
davidylan:

the old testament is a shadow of the new. The Jews dont believe in the new testament because they assumed the Messiah would come in the form of a King and help them kick out the Romans.

If you are interested in learning then i am more than welcome to show you.

I am really interested please go ahead and show me.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26, 2009
Atheist?

Most people do not even understand the meaning of the word atheist.

Any body who claims to have become an atheist by reasoning is a farce. Reasoning can make you an agnostic.

Logically, atheism cannot exist without theism. Hence, atheists are on the opposing side of theists. The implication of this is that atheists and theists are comparable. If they are comparable, then they have some shared characteristics. Question: An example of such characteristic? Answer: Belief!

While theists believe there is God, atheists believe that there is no God.

They are all religious! Why? Because they "believe" in something.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 11:27pm On Feb 26, 2009
I am a theist! [/b]I believe there [b]is God. I believe in man's ability to do good. I believe in man's potentials on earth. I believe in so many things!

However, I am a skeptic! I am skeptical of man's machinations and tendencies to subdue, fool, oppress, exploit and take advantage of others!

Hence, I do not believe in magic, juju, supernatural gibberish, witches, wizards, etc. I believe there is a Satan, but the old fool is powerless without humans cooperating with him.

A skeptic can still believe. All atheists believe! We are largely believers, however, what makes us all different is what we choose to believe!
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by paddylo1(m): 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2009
@daviddylan

why are u argueing about christianity and comparing it to judaism,in my opinion christianity is as much a fraud as islam is, they both copy extensively from the hebrew people that lived in north east africa and the middle eastern region all those yrs ago,these ppl were a nomadic ppl always moving around fighting for resources and documenting their struggles,that is what the old testament is
now christianity on the other hand was made up from fairy tales and stories that circulated in these region for ages,go and watch the GOD who didnt exist and find proof that jesus never existed,HE WAS MADE UP, all the people that write about him in the bible write about him some 300yrs after he supposedly died not one person saw him that wrote about him
the story of the virgin birth,rise in 3days,all that stuff are ancient stories told by semitic languages and ppl in north africa,sudan,ethiopia even till this day,and these people predate christianity by eons
the white jesus that hangs in your living room is a fraud on top of a fraud,cause even if jesus existed he would have been semitic,hebrew dark and look like they do now in south egypt or north sudan or ethiopia,
The Hebrew religion i give a little props cause its the oldest,but people should understand that it is just for the hebrew ppl of the time,they dont claim to save the world,they just claim that their god is the best and so on, GOOD FOR THEM.
every indeginous ppl in the world also have their own GODS,native americans, africans,aborignes and so on,it was only the european JJC(johny just come),with no real religion that had to try and force christianity on other nations
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Eyess: 3:36pm On Jan 06, 2011
i am an atheist based in lagos, nigeria.
when i enter the place, ignorance and superstition jumps outthe window cos i've got the blazing sword of science and reason, I am the real ghost buster. I'm on facebook as Azubuike Eyes Okoro.
hit me up
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 06, 2011
Apart from my belief of a supreme being, that is i can only call myself a deist, all other thinking of mine correlates with atheism, so if that definition of my stand is atheism, i guessed then i'm an atheist.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 11:48am On Jan 07, 2011
RichyBlacK:

Atheist?

Most people do not even understand the meaning of the word atheist.

Any body who claims to have become an atheist by reasoning is a farce. Reasoning can make you an agnostic.

Logically, atheism cannot exist without theism*1 Hence, atheists are on the opposing side of theists. The implication of this is that atheists and theists are comparable. If they are comparable, then they have some shared characteristics.*2 Question: An example of such characteristic? Answer: Belief!*3

While theists believe there is God, atheists believe that there is no God.

They are all religious! Why? Because they "believe" in something.

an opportune moment for me to elucidate the mentality behind my posit that Atheism Is A Religion (albeit a posit i chose because of the attention it will garner) >>> The bolded part above are nice points for me to comment on

*1 >>> true >>> if there were no primordial belief in God/god(s), then atheism would never have been >>> once the Atheist has been reached (i.e the extermination of all religions) >>> Atheism itself will become impotent >>> it greatest strength is what leads to its downfall

*2 >>> they do have shared characteristics >>> but for the most parts these characteristics tend to be polar

*3 >>> yes >>> i am vexed with the definition of atheism as a lack of belief >>> a fraudulent definition with the only noble objective being that this (flawed) definition is one that seeks to distance atheism as much as possible from religion (a thing best meant for agnostics) >>> a lack of belief implies passivity >>> in so far as you have knowledge of the concept of god and you do not believe it >>> the correct inference to be made *other suggestions accepted* is that you positively assert that there is no God/god(s) (you are a gnostic atheist) >>> even for those who claim to be agnostic atheists >>> their speech, articles and lifestyle effectively place them in the gnostic atheist category >>> more so since the phenomena which will allow for the actuality of god's existence varies by the person

*4 >>> i said this too >>> and stubbornly so >>> especially after Richard Dawkins lecture on militant atheism >>> the problem with my posit is mainly this >>> that a rigid application of the definition of atheism doesn't apply to Atheism >>> however a clue  that a definition of religion that can apply to atheism was inadvertently given to me by the homer >>> i was naive not to observe that there are religions that are atheistic
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 9:56am On Jan 08, 2011
I'm an Atheist.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
[size=13pt]Cool my dear. . . You are not alone and i guess you know this is the right track of lifestyle? please keep it up . wink[/size]

harakiri:

I'm an Atheist.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 6:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
harakiri:

I'm an Atheist.
i would love to hear your story about how you lost your faith in religion and your religious background? smiley
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2011
@ogaga does atheist and satanist have anything in common?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
@all Athiest,its only Azubuike eyes okoro that proves bold here also on facebook,he publicly proved to be an Atheist on his relgion information
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by mudley: 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2011
with the level of tolerance and unbias displayed by our dear christian mod jesoul on these forum i bet it'll be all lovey-dovey for people who profess a non-belief in gods in nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To All Nairalanders That Supported Trump On His View About Islam / The 'God' Of Christianity Is An Alien Called Enlil. Discuss. / The Truth About The Word "Sin" And It's Origin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.