Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,208 members, 7,842,533 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Atheists Based In Nigeria - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Based In Nigeria (8291 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Jenwitemi(m): 5:41pm On Jan 10, 2011
May i answer this? Thank you! The answer is, YES! They both believe that the christian god is full poo. grin
toba:

@ogaga does atheist and satanist have anything in common?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 10, 2011
Jenwitemi:

May i answer this?

yes u can

Thank you!
u are welcome

The answer is, YES! They both believe that the christian god is full poo. grin
Whats the meaning of this? U believe in God as a deist. Whats the difference between ur own God's version and the christian God
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Jenwitemi(m): 9:59pm On Jan 10, 2011
toba:
Whats the meaning of this? U believe in God as a deist.
I believe in a creator, yes, but i am not a deist.

toba:
Whats the difference between your own God's version and the christian God
Where do i start with this? I have already explained quite a number of times on this board what my perspective of the creator is. I am not going to repeat myself except to say, for the last time, that God, as i see it, is within all things, while the christian God is outside all things. A male limited only to the folks who made "HIM" up. The ancient hebrews. If you can't understand that, then you never will.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by JayFK(m): 4:39pm On Jan 12, 2011
I am an atheist living in Nigeria, lol and I go to a christian university, I have been an atheist for quite a while, to the point where I am so comfortable in my unbelief and cant be bothered to even get into an argument with the few people I tell I do not believe in God. I have also learned that it is just easier to follow the crowd and nod along, because if you don't you become a target.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 2:40pm On Jan 13, 2011
JayFK:

I am an atheist living in Nigeria*1, lol and I go to a christian university,*2 I have been an atheist for quite a while, to the point where I am so comfortable in my unbelief and cant be bothered to even get into an argument with the few people I tell I do not believe in God*3 I have also learned that it is just easier to follow the crowd and nod along, because if you don't you become a target. *4

just had to comment on this

*1 >>> thumbs up (for your courage)

*2 >>> irony huh ! undecided

*3 >>> i don't agree lemme rephrase your statement to present how i consider it

i am comfortable in my unbelief and i do not like to get into arguments with religionists because of how bigoted they (the few i've come across) are

*4 >>> as an atheist you should be the last person following the crowd >>> you think >>> elevate the place of logic >>> what i think you mean here is that you cloak your unbelief b'cos of the hostility that it tends to attract in this part of the world >>> the are fundamentalists who won't mind a debate >>> one free of squabbles
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by imperius: 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2011
Been back in the country for a year and the religiousness is just staggering. I too have learnt its best to just smile and nod because of the aggression that nigerians display when they find out you are atheist. Im serving in a govt ministry and i just heard a conversation that is typical of the religious conversations had here. It started with something about sacrificial giving and tithes or something and then veered into how catholicism isnt christianity once the only catholic in the office went out. that was when i perked up because i thought catholicism and other denominations were all about jebus
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2011
imperius:

Been back in the country for a year and the religiousness is just staggering. I too have learnt its best to just smile and nod because of the aggression that nigerians display when they find out you are atheist. Im serving in a govt ministry and i just heard a conversation that is typical of the religious conversations had here. It started with something about sacrificial giving and tithes or something and then veered into how catholicism isnt christianity once the only catholic in the office went out. that was when i perked up because i thought catholicism and other denominations were all about jebus

lol >>> brings memories of my (somewhat) failed attempt at Christian apology on RDFRS >>> why didn't u say the Flying spaghetti Monster
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2011
Atheist here!
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 10:47pm On Jan 19, 2011
imperius:

You can say that again. It's the intense aggression that always baffles me. Religion is more or less regarded as a confraternity. If you are not one of them, then you are the opposition.

The annoying part is that they have no logical facts to back up their aggravation except regarding you like a 3-headed goblin that dropped out of space. It's crazy but I've learnt not to even try explaining my disbelief in religion anymore. It's pointless. People (most especially our people) haven't transcended to that level of reasoning and social acceptance. They are still living in the medieval stone age construct the colonialists left them with. . .same colonialists who have moved on to another era.

Pathetic!
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 11:11pm On Jan 19, 2011
manmustwac:

i would love to hear your story about how you lost your faith in religion and your religious background?  smiley

I'll keep it as brief as possible coz a thread asking the "whys" and "hows" have been answered in another thread. . .

I started having doubts about some things in the bible that didn't add up at the age of 13. At age 15, i was bold enough to ask some thought provoking questions during bible class and i got rebuked in the "name of Jesus" right before the whole congregation is being under the influence of the "devil". A long interlude passed after that and when i was in the university, i started asking more and more questions from the SU's and those Jehovah Witnesses who often came around with their hideously over-sized handbags and magazines to sell. All the answers i got were the usual "god works in mysterious ways" or "do not question the ways of the lord" or "the ways of the lord cannot be understood". I left school, started working, kept studying the bible, compared the Christianity being practiced today with what's depicted in the bible and most importantly, researched deeply into the origins of Christianity. At the end, nothing added up and nothing made any sense which zeroed it all down to what i had always suspected all along. . .it was a sham! ! !

I'll be 31 in March and after years of being at a crossroads with religion, i finally had the balls to take responsibility for my actions/future 2 years ago and never looked back since.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by trekkie: 7:15am On Jan 20, 2011
i am not here for religious arguement but as a practising christian i can't help but wonder at all these talk of atheism
please don't misunderstand me i would love to hear that you have decided to accept jesus but if you don't, it's your choice
it's very easy to talk flippantly about god when you are young, strong and healthy.
i do respect that your experiences with religion are valid and have moulded your views about God
but reserve a corner of your mind to give God the benefit of doubt after all, its his children that are badly behaved and not He himself innit?
how would you feel if you are maligned because of the behaviour of your children even after you have made every effort to teach them the right way to behave?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by birdman(m): 8:18am On Jan 20, 2011
harakiri:

At age 15, i was bold enough to ask some thought provoking questions during bible class and i got rebuked in the "name of Jesus" right before the whole congregation is being under the influence of the "devil".
This had me laughing hard. Having grown up pentecostal, I can readily imagine the scenario.

trekkie:

how would you feel if you are maligned because of the behaviour of your children even after you have made every effort to teach them the right way to behave?
You miss the point. Its not about feeling. Some people are just unable to lie to themselves. If something doesn't make sense, why believe in it?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2011
trekkie:

i am not here for religious arguement but as a practising christian i can't help but wonder at all these talk of atheism
please don't misunderstand me i would love to hear that you have decided to accept jesus but if you don't, it's your choice
it's very easy to talk flippantly about god when you are young, strong and healthy.
i do respect that your experiences with religion are valid and have moulded your views about God
but reserve a corner of your mind to give God the benefit of doubt after all, its his children that are badly behaved and not He himself innit?

Let's start with your first sentence. You say you aren't here for religious argument. Atheists aren't religious people so how can there be a "religious argument"? Let me break it down for you coz it's obvious that a lot of people (especially Nigerians) are still living in the age of "we must all serve something" mind set :

Theism = The belief in religion
Atheism = The non-belief in religion

You can clearly see the difference. I don't know why this is so extremely hard for people to comprehend. I would advise you to research on what you think you're really worshiping before you come here to pass such comments.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Iyineda(m): 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2011
I know I probably shouldn't be replying to this thread because it doesn't concern me but whatever. . .

I was born in  Nigeria. I was raised in a Christian (Anglican) home. I currently live abroad. And I am agnostic. Not an atheist but agnostic.

And I am one of those who strongly believe that religion/dogma is destroying society, especially in Nigeria.

The first person I told about this was my mom, when I was in my late teens. Now, my aunts and grandmother are aware about me and all believe I'm going through a phase. Oh they couldn't be more wrong.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by 2good(m): 10:17am On Jan 22, 2011
I'm also an agnostic and believe that religion is a sham and have brought more bad than good in the history of man. I just cant believe how human being with functional brains like mine will not just give themselves some seconds to reason all the biblical stories they've been fed from birth and do some research as to the origin of all these stories to actually understand where the current bible originated from.
How can you believe things you have not been proved, and also feel that if you pray to some god, you will get a miracle? When ever I get into discussion with my Nigerian friends home and abroad about religion, the next question they ask me is whether I am a white man to believe there's no god like the white man is different from the blackman in anyway.
Imagine people trying to justify pastors Chris Oyakhilome reason for collecting gate fee to enter the church because they've been deluded. Also Bishop David Oyedepo collecting money from the poor to set up a university where the poor members of his congregation cannot afford to send their children to and thesame christians will still look for excuse to justify his actions. Its a pity that we find ourself in this situation and I keep on asking myself if I can really go back to that country where people are not ready to plan because they believe that everything is in the hands of some imaginary god that they cannot prove.
I officially stop going to shurch 14yrs ago and people said it was a phase in my life and that I'll revert back but I am growing stronger in my unbelief and keep on wondering why people just cant reason like me in Africa.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 22, 2011
birdman:

This had me laughing hard. Having grown up pentecostal, I can readily imagine the scenario.
You miss the point. Its not about feeling. Some people are just unable to lie to themselves. If something doesn't make sense, why believe in it?

are you trully a birdman?? fire me your O.T, which nest you dey perch?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by harakiri(m): 5:38pm On Jan 22, 2011
enitan2002:

are you trully a birdman?? fire me your O.T, which nest you dey perch?

Please, this is a sensitive topic. Do not derail it. I'm pretty sure there is a website and other forums where such "issues" can be discussed.

Thanks.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by imperius: 11:03pm On Jan 22, 2011
A friend sent me this link -
http://westerngh.com/2010/04/oprah-winfrey-opens-church-founds-religion/

I was laughing as I read it, until I got to the comments. Pls read it and try to count how many ppl try and inform the majority of the veracity of the article.
To me the article and comments are funny. Hope you find them similarly funny
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 23, 2011
a closet atheist in the house, born and bred in naija wink
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 6:28pm On Jan 23, 2011
2good:

I'm also an agnostic and believe that religion is a sham and have brought more bad than good in the history of man. I just cant believe how human being with functional brains like mine will not just give themselves some seconds to reason all the biblical stories they've been fed from birth and do some research as to the origin of all these stories to actually understand where the current bible originated from.
How can you believe things you have not been proved, and also feel that if you pray to some god, you will get a miracle? When ever I get into discussion with my Nigerian friends home and abroad about religion, the next question they ask me is whether I am a white man to believe there's no god like the white man is different from the blackman in anyway.
Imagine people trying to justify pastors Chris Oyakhilome reason for collecting gate fee to enter the church because they've been deluded. Also Bishop David Oyedepo collecting money from the poor to set up a university where the poor members of his congregation cannot afford to send their children to and thesame christians will still look for excuse to justify his actions. Its a pity that we find ourself in this situation and I keep on asking myself if I can really go back to that country where people are not ready to plan because they believe that everything is in the hands of some imaginary god that they cannot prove.
I officially stop going to shurch 14yrs ago and people said it was a phase in my life and that I'll revert back but I am growing stronger in my unbelief and keep on wondering why people just cant reason like me in Africa.

please leave Oyedepo out of this >>> its one thing to state your unbelief >>> it's another thing to lamblast (without the very proof you treasure much) Oyedepo and the universities he has developed >>> pray tell can you prove the veracity of these more-likely-than-not unwarranted comment fable
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by 2good(m): 7:17pm On Jan 23, 2011
@ Uyi Iredia,
My late father in my presence wrote a cheque of about 70,000 naira for one of the Convenant University projects and handed it over to the church and the irony of things is that he was never able to afford to send any of his children there because he couldnt afford to pay the fees and I kept on wondering why do you give this so called man of god money to build a school he'll claim ownership to when you cannot afford to send your child there?
I know most Nigerians have been deluded not too think outside the box under which they were raised which is the reason for their acceptance of anything a man of god says
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 7:50pm On Jan 23, 2011
harakiri:

Let's start with your first sentence. You say you aren't here for religious argument. Atheists aren't religious people so how can there be a "religious argument"? Let me break it down for you coz it's obvious that a lot of people (especially Nigerians) are still living in the age of "we must all serve something"*1 mind set :

Theism = The belief in God/god(s)
Atheism = The belief that there is no God/god(s)

You can clearly see the difference. I don't know why this is so extremely hard for people to comprehend. I would advise you to research on what you think you're really worshiping before you come here to pass such comments.

*1 >>> maybe we all do

*2 >>> corrected >>> there are atheistic religions >>> like Jainism and_i'm not quite sure of this one  undecided_Shintoism >>> i hate the hissy-footing over the use of the term 'belief' in religious debates

2good:

@ Uyi Iredia,
My late father in my presence wrote a cheque of about 70,000 naira for one of the Convenant University projects and handed it over to the church and the irony of things is that he was never able to afford to send any of his children there because he couldnt afford to pay the fees and I kept on wondering why do you give this so called man of god money to build a school he'll claim ownership to when you cannot afford to send your child there?
I know most Nigerians have been deluded not too think outside the box under which they were raised which is the reason for their acceptance of anything a man of god says

my condolences >>> i also recently lost my mun (a little over a year now)

*now to the point* >>> i think your Dad was donating in order to be part of a better Nigerian future >>> while C.U pales in comparison to foreign universities >>> i daresay that some of it's facilities are world class especially when you consider the situation of electicity generation in these parts

i think the an apropos analogy canbe forwarded in the form of this question; "Why pay taxes to a federal institution that is morally bankrupt, financially inept and constitutionally deficient?"

>>> Oyedepo has his many faults-i can allow that- but at least he has built 2 universities (good ones by the way) >>> what have u done ? what have people like Buhari, Emmeka King et al done?
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by thehomer: 9:49am On Jan 24, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

. . .
>>> Oyedepo has his many faults-i can allow that- but at least he has built 2 universities (good ones by the way) >>> what have u done ? what have people like Buhari, Emmeka King et al done?

I think one thing that needs to be realized is that the universities are for profit institutions whose capitals came from public donations unlike companies that would issue shares or bonds. I'm very sure that there are many people who if given the opportunity would be able to perform excellently. In this case, he was able to raise this capital from people who saw him as a sort of authority figure due to his religious position. I simply wonder if he was expected to pay them back for their donations.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 1:07pm On Jan 24, 2011
thehomer:

I think one thing that needs to be realized is that the universities are for profit institutions*1 whose capitals came from public donations unlike companies that would issue shares or bonds. I'm very sure that there are many people who if given the opportunity would be able to perform excellently.*2 In this case, he was able to raise this capital from people who saw him as a sort of authority figure due to his religious position. I simply wonder if he was expected to pay them back for their donations.*3

*1 >>> you will need to back up the back this claim up with proof >>> with what is on ground here >>> i do not see any profit motive in building the university >>> on the contrary the church (i.e Winners chapel) spend money to fund long-term projects (especially research projects) >>> the painful thing that what u state here is the rationale behind the ogun state govt asking my university to pay tax  >>> one would suppose that a concession should be granted since their presence has caused rapid development in that portion of ogun state

all the above story boils down to this >>> C.U and landmark universities weren't built for profit motive

*2 >>> but there aren't

*3 >>> nah ! >>> for some their reward is in heaven >>> others get to send their children to a school they helped to build
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by thehomer: 1:54pm On Jan 24, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> you will need to back up the back this claim up with proof >>> with what is on ground here >>> i do not see any profit motive in building the university >>> on the contrary the church (i.e Winners chapel) spend money to fund long-term projects (especially research projects) >>> the painful thing that what u state here is the rationale behind the ogun state govt asking my university to pay tax  >>> one would suppose that a concession should be granted since their presence has caused rapid development in that portion of ogun state

all the above story boils down to this >>> C.U and landmark universities weren't built for profit motive

My evidence lies in the fact that they pay taxes. Generally, non-profit organizations do not pay taxes.
Another question is this. Who owns the university? I ask because there is a lack of information on a management board just the presence of a Chancellor.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> but there aren't

Huh? Do you really think there are no self made business men or people capable of performing better than Oyedepo?
Consider Leo Ekeh, Wole Soyinka, the late Gani Fawehinmi.

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> nah ! >>> for some their reward is in heaven >>>

Of course their reward is in heaven. What if they do not get into heaven?

Uyi Iredia:

others get to send their children to a school they helped to build

That's for those rich enough after forking over huge amounts of money. Consider that some of those like the parent of 2good even after giving a large sum of money, their children were still not considered.
As an aside, I noticed the lack of information on scholarship programs in the school and I'd like to ask if you do know of any scholarship that the school provides to students prior to admission or within a short time after admission.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 2:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
For much of my undergraduate and postgraduate years, I actively professed atheism.
Re-embraced the belief system as a result of a personal encounter I had. With the benefit of hindsight, rationalism helped to define my faith with a clearer perspective, and understand the true nature of man and God much better than traditional religious dogma did.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 2:31pm On Jan 24, 2011
thehomer:

My evidence lies in the fact that they pay taxes. Generally, non-profit organizations do not pay taxes.
Another question is this. Who owns the university? I ask because there is a lack of information on a management board just the presence of a Chancellor.

Huh? Do you really think there are no self made business men or people capable of performing better than Oyedepo?
Consider Leo Ekeh, Wole Soyinka, the late Gani Fawehinmi.

Of course their reward is in heaven. What if they do not get into heaven?*3

That's for those rich enough after forking over huge amounts of money. Consider that some of those like the parent of 2good even after giving a large sum of money, their children were still not considered.
As an aside, I noticed the lack of information on scholarship programs in the school and I'd like to ask if you do know of any scholarship that the school provides to students prior to admission or within a short time after admission.

*1 >>> not all NPO's though e.g my church pays taxes on its businesses >>> i got that piece of info on 2 occasions when lecturers mentioned it >>> i do not think the university makes profit as such >>> i think the taxes is because of enterprises the university runs >>> they include waste management services, consultancy services, local entrepreneurship courses et al

>>> in the grand scheme of things they do not make profit >>> i can guarantee you that nothing less than 1 million (a very low estimate) is spent nightly to power alll our hostels through the night on a daily basis >>> multiply that by the no of days in 9 months and you get the picture >>> light is taken for granted here *till u get home to face sleepless nights with your regular Mrs anopheles*

*2 >>> i do not know of any universities the aforesaid luminaries have built >>> except for Tai Solarin (and that was a school of education)

*3 >>> as my Dad would say >>> "that's your their business"

*4 >>> *sighs* >>> this was naturally bound to happen >>> if the school was obliged to pay everyone that contributed to its growth would it even have been established btw i have often forgot to mention (when debating this issue) that the school has a bias for businesses run by its members irregardless of social status >>> many contractors who work on projects for the school are from the church e.g the hall maintenance crews, cleaning crew and so on

as regard 2good >>> as far as i know there were no guarantees given to such people >>> they gave out their own free-will and i'm sure Oyedepo would have banked in a huge sum to establish a university he nominally owns >>> we have a board of management

there is no comprehensive scholarship program i know of that the school offers (though i have vaguely heard of one for Masters & Phd degree seekers) >>> but i am sure of this >>> the university (and any university should for that matter) informs students of scholarship schemes and works with state govts to grant indigents of a particular region scholarship >>> all Delta state indigenes in my school are state-sponsored >>> also for exceptional achievements scholarships can be given to students
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by thehomer: 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> not all NPO's though e.g my church pays taxes on its businesses >>> i got that piece of info on 2 occasions when lecturers mentioned it >>> i do not think the university makes profit as such >>> i think the taxes is because of enterprises the university runs >>> they include waste management services, consultancy services, local entrepreneurship courses et al

>>> in the grand scheme of things they do not make profit >>> i can guarantee you that nothing less than 1 million (a very low estimate) is spent nightly to power alll our hostels through the night on a daily basis >>> multiply that by the no of days in 9 months and you get the picture >>> light is taken for granted here *till u get home to face sleepless nights with your regular Mrs anopheles*

In the grand scheme of things, you can't tell whether or not they make a profit. But the fact that they pay taxes points in the direction of their making profits.
I don't know how you arrived at this figure of 1 million naira. I hope you realize that this is more than 7000 litres of diesel just to power your hostels for a night. Plus universities and other such facilities have a preference when it comes to power supply.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> i do not know of any universities the aforesaid luminaries have built >>> except for Tai Solarin (and that was a school of education)

Oh? I didn't know you meant only universities. Not everyone has the ability to obtain the large amounts of money required to start universities. What I said was about people having such an opportunity to obtain funds can also be successful and improve people's lives too.

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> as my Dad would say >>> "that's your their business"

It's also your business if you take resources from them without some sort of recompense rather than referring them to heaven.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> *sighs* >>> this was naturally bound to happen >>> if the school was obliged to pay everyone that contributed to its growth would it even have been established btw i have often forgot to mention (when debating this issue) that the school has a bias for businesses run by its members irregardless of social status >>> many contractors who work on projects for the school are from the church e.g the hall maintenance crews, cleaning crew and so on

The members of the school? The students, lecturers or non-academic staff?

Uyi Iredia:

as regard 2good >>> as far as i know there were no guarantees given to such people >>> they gave out their own free-will and i'm sure Oyedepo would have banked in a huge sum to establish a university he nominally owns >>> we have a board of management

Of course they gave of their own free will. They probably thought that at least their children would be preferred in some way at least on merit. That's interesting. I couldn't find a reference to this board on the school's site.

Uyi Iredia:

there is no comprehensive scholarship program i know of that the school offers (though i have vaguely heard of one for Masters & Phd degree seekers) >>> but i am sure of this >>> the university (and any university should for that matter) informs students of scholarship schemes and works with state govts to grant indigents of a particular region scholarship >>> all Delta state indigenes in my school are state-sponsored >>> also for exceptional achievements scholarships can be given to students

I'm not talking about state sponsorship but the school itself giving scholarships. Also, for masters and phDs, they usually get a sort of grant for research or for teaching. This is not a scholarship.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 5:34pm On Jan 24, 2011
thehomer:

In the grand scheme of things, you can't tell whether or not they make a profit. But the fact that they pay taxes points in the direction of their making profits.*1
I don't know how you arrived at this figure of 1 million naira. I hope you realize that this is more than 7000 litres of diesel just to power your hostels for a night. Plus universities and other such facilities have a preference when it comes to power supply.

Oh? I didn't know you meant only universities. Not everyone has the ability to obtain the large amounts of money required to start universities. What I said was about people having such an opportunity to obtain funds can also be successful and improve people's lives too.*3

It's also your business if you take resources from them without some sort of recompense rather than referring them to heaven.*4

The members of the school? The students, lecturers or non-academic staff?*5

Of course they gave of their own free will. They probably thought that at least their children would be preferred in some way at least on merit. That's interesting. I couldn't find a reference to this board on the school's site.*6

I'm not talking about state sponsorship but the school itself giving scholarships. Also, for masters and phDs, they usually get a sort of grant for research or for teaching. This is not a scholarship.*7

*1 >>> from their enterprise schemes of course

*2 >>> did i forget to mention the cafeterias, college buildings, lecturer & professor's quarters and research buildings in that list ?

*3 >>> i humbly suggest that they be active about it (getting funds) >>> and do us (the nation) a service

*4 >>> i thought they gave it to him >>> did he go to all of them cap in hand asking for money >>> he told them a vision, laid down a plan and asked for their support >>> it was not only money that was donated ! >>> some donated their skills, time, goodwill (perharps  ) e.t.c

*5 >>> members of its church >>> a good no of them form the academic stafff of the school >>> that is a good recompense de gustibus

*6 >>> the site is poor_as far as i am concerned >>> moreso with all their talk of "world-class" as if uhuru has been reached >>> i believe [url=http://www.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/content/download/5125/37839/file/Covenant%20University%20Law.pdf]this is what you were looking for[/url] >>> please read it

*7 >>> in that case they have none
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by thehomer: 9:22pm On Jan 24, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> from their enterprise schemes of course

You claim that the only taxes they pay are from their enterprise schemes? Ok.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> did i forget to mention the cafeterias, college buildings, lecturer & professor's quarters and research buildings in that list ?

It seems you did. So, the cafeterias, college buildings and research buildings are powered through the night too?

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> i humbly suggest that they be active about it (getting funds) >>> and do us (the nation) a service

They are/were doing the nation a great service. Building a university is not the only way to serve the nation.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> i thought they gave it to him >>> did he go to all of them cap in hand asking for money >>> he told them a vision, laid down a plan and asked for their support >>> it was not only money that was donated ! >>> some donated their skills, time, goodwill (perharps  ) e.t.c

*5 >>> members of its church >>> a good no of them form the academic stafff of the school >>> that is a good recompense de gustibus

Of course.

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> the site is poor_as far as i am concerned >>> moreso with all their talk of "world-class" as if uhuru has been reached >>> i believe [url=http://www.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/content/download/5125/37839/file/Covenant%20University%20Law.pdf]this is what you were looking for[/url] >>> please read it

*7 >>> in that case they have none

I'll try to go through the document as time permits but, it seems that the position of Chancellor is not open to proper election.
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 25, 2011
@uyi if u were talking about TASUED(Tai Solarin University of Education) l dont think it was built/established by Tai Solarin rather i think the Ogun State Government named the School after him as a mark of honour. Same way we have Obafemi Awolowo University(ife) Lautech in Ogbomoso and OOU in Ijebu ode. MayFlower School in ikenne Ogun State was built and owned by Tai Solarin and its a Secondary School. l hope i'm correct
Re: Atheists Based In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 12:14pm On Jan 25, 2011
toba:

@uyi if u were talking about TASUED(Tai Solarin University of Education) l dont think it was built/established by Tai Solarin rather i think the Ogun State Government named the School after him as a mark of honour. Same way we have Obafemi Awolowo University(ife) Lautech in Ogbomoso and OOU in Ijebu ode. MayFlower School in ikenne Ogun State was built and owned by Tai Solarin and its a Secondary School. l hope i'm correct

my mistake  cool

thehomer:

You claim that the only taxes they pay are from their enterprise schemes? Ok.

It seems you did. So, the cafeterias, college buildings and research buildings are powered through the night too?

They are/were doing the nation a great service. Building a university is not the only way to serve the nation.

Of course.

I'll try to go through the document as time permits but, it seems that the position of Chancellor is not open to proper election.

*1 >>> and the university health center (as we dub it) as well >>> btw the health center serves both the students and the church members >>> it offers occasional free medical checkups to students & church members

*2 >>> and i will be naive to disagree >>> although, i still await the universities they will never build

*3 >>> then we are even

*4 >>> last time i perused it (b4 entering the school) it was never open >>> i guess he is the 'life chancellor' till an occasion arises that'll cause a change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Truth About The Word "Sin" And It's Origin. / The 'God' Of Christianity Is An Alien Called Enlil. Discuss. / Wont They Give Us 2012 Prophesies As Usual?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.