Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector (2654 Views)

GEJ & PDP HAVE FINALLY CRIPPLED The Electric Power Sector - Joe Igbokwe / APC And PDP Supporters Clash In Abule Egba, Lagos (photos) / Picture Of A Woman Clad In APC'S T-SHIRT And PDP'S Wrapper! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 9:56am On Mar 05, 2015
http://saharareporters.com/2015/03/05/president-jonathan-and-pdp-have-finally-crippled-electric-power-sector-joe-igbokwe

President Jonathan and PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector By Joe Igbokwe

BY JOE IGBOKWE MAR 05, 2015

When the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, said at Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos on return from an overseas trip in September 2012 that with the exit of Professor Bart Nnaji as Minister of Power the Goodluck Jonathan administration had destroyed Nigeria’s electric power sector, apologists of the regime accused him of crying wolf where none existed. But it has become crystal clear now that Asiwaju Tinubu’s statement was prescient.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) has now alerted the whole nation to the fact that over 70% of industrial concerns in the country could collapse anytime from now because of grossly insufficient power supply across the country and the arbitrary increase in electricity tariff which the National Electricity Regulatory Commission(NERC) approved for the 11 distribution companies to charge from last month, based on the thinking that the 2015 general election would hold in February.

While NERC approved only a 24% hike, the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) has been charging hapless commercial concerns in the Southeast geopolitical zone a whopping 94% increase. Consequently, manufacturing firms like Innosons Motors, which are forced to pay N100m monthly each to the EEDC are on the verge of collapse, with over a million employees thrown into the labour market. Since manufacturing firms in the Southeast now pay much higher than their counterparts elsewhere in the country, they are under pressure to relocate to other parts of the nation, according to the chairman of the Kotek Group, Chief Chika Emelike, who is based in Nnewi, Anambra State, where he manufactures Tummy Tummy noodles, among other products. At no point in our national history have manufacturers been faced with a gloomy future as much as under Jonathan.

What is clear to all Nigerians is that the outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan government has finally run the power sector aground. The country has been generating less than 4,000 megawatts of electricity, but the current Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Nebo, a serving high Anglican priest, has been compelled to tell lies serially to the effect that 4,500MW is generated. The amount of electricity clamed is still about 1,000MW less than the quantum of power the country was producing when Prof Nnaji left office in August, 2012.

The present generation level of less than 4,000MW is a far cry from the 10,000-15,000MW promised in the Road Map for Power Sector Reform, which Jonathan launched with fanfare in Lagos on August 26, 2010. Thermal power plants are routinely commissioned even where there is no molecule of gas, examples being the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) stations in Geregu, Kogi State, and Omotoso, Ondo State. The leadership of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources which is responsible for gas is not interested in gas issues because it does not bring humungous and immediate private benefits like crude oil swap and subsidy payment.

The nation’s transmission network is in a total mess. It is too weak to wheel even the paltry 3,800MW currently generated during peak period. The board of the government-controlled Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has been the hotbed of intrigues and politics which owes to avarice, resulting in two chairmen and two chief executives in one year.

Practically all operators in the now privatized power sector are in the throes of death because the assumptions upon which they participated in the privatization bid do not obtain. The generation companies have little gas from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to fire their plants to full capacity. The transmission infrastructure cannot transport the limited quantity of power available to different parts of the country on account of ageing and poorly maintained facilities. Therefore, distribution companies do not have reasonable quantum of power to sell to the public and generate reasonable revenue. Yet, the government has forced these struggling firms to pledge a donation of N5billion to its reelection campaign fund based on a promise announced by the Minister of Petroleum Resources last September 30 to grant the operators a facility of N213billion.

The whole nation is amazed at how Jonathan has given the power sector reform a very bad name. In the name of privatization, for instance, assets of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) have been handed over to cronies of the outgoing regime, rather than the best organizations which bidded for them. The privatization of the Enugu and Kano electricity distribution companies readily comes to mind. The financial and technical capacities of the so-called winners are nothing to write home about. The Jonathan government blatantly flouted its own rules on the privatization of PHCN assets.

[size=14pt]Under Jonathan the Nigerian nation is facing its worst electricity crisis ever. Power outages now last for several days across the country; and whenever there is electricity the quality is embarrassingly poor. Yet, the people are being made to pay through their nose every month. The promise of providing prepaid metres to our long suffering and exploited people has remained a mirage, like any other pledge by the outgoing government.
[/size]

It is the moral responsibility of every Nigerian who wants to save this country from imminent collapse to vote out this ineffective, inefficient and very corrupt regime on March 28. A new order will emerge not just in the electric power sector but also in all facets of our national life. We have no other country than Nigeria. We must salvage it together.

Signed:
Joe igbokwe

Lagos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 05, 2015
Obasanjo spent $16B power sector, did ya open ya smelling mouth to condemn him? Now ya want jonathan to do d magic. Fools roaming NL since bacarnista left apc!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Habayomie(m): 10:19am On Mar 05, 2015
No power,no fuel...Gas-very expensive!!!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 05, 2015
Only fools normally argue with me when I say that his Foolishness, Egbere Jonah-daft is a curse to the Nigerian Nation.
He must be booted out.

8 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by blackfase(m): 10:21am On Mar 05, 2015
I never see, hear, imagined this kain thing before. Power supply is virtually non existent in my area again. This Jonathan is such a curse on this country. And some children of lucifer wants him back. Tufiakwa!

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 05, 2015
its funny, because when yaradua handed over to GEJ, we were producing in excess of 5000 megawatts. How that turned to under 3000 during this GEJ tenure is something i am still trying to figure out

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by dein77(m): 10:25am On Mar 05, 2015
The last time I checked, our problems didn't start in 2010.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 10:26am On Mar 05, 2015
deemdeem:
Only fools normally argue with me when I say that his Foolishness, Egbere Jonah-daft is a curse to the Nigerian Nation.
He must be booted out.

The bottom line is that GEJ had his chance to tackle our power woes yet he only delivered a crony capitalism scam, much like the fuel subsidy fraud, that rips off Nigerians massively, as the article shows, but gives them worse darkness in return. That is 100% failure no sane adult will dispute or attempt to spin. Some Nigerians are like unthinking animals who do not mind being kicked black and blue by the owner of the farm but I believe majority of Nigerians are ready to reject the monumental failure called Goodluck Jonathan.

6 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Change2015(m): 10:26am On Mar 05, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Obasanjo spent $16B power sector, did ya open ya smelling mouth to condemn him? Now ya want jonathan to do d magic. Fools roaming NL since bacarnista left apc!

All you have said condemns the pdp beyond redemption. Thief following thief in power, but even then people recognise the especially clueless Jonathan as a truly new low in Nigerian politics. March 28th is for repentance and #change

#GMB
#APC

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2015
shachris03:
its funny, because when yaradua handed over to GEJ, we were producing in excess of 5000 megawatts. How that turned to under 3000 during this GEJ tenure is something i am still trying to figure out

Fresh air made this happen.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by CyberTerrorist: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2015
Flexing power here like say tomorrow no de..it's not my fault that you refused to pay Nepa bill..
Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 05, 2015
deemdeem:
He must be booted out.
GBAM!!!! seconded

keep calm and vote Buhari
#I_Have_Decided
GMB 2015

7 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by alaoeri: 10:35am On Mar 05, 2015
Someone said our problem didn't start in 2010 & my question is must we continue like this? If GEJ can't put us on right track not necessarily to the promised land for 5years then Jona doesn't need our support for additional 4years, time to kick the clueless one out of Aso rock.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 10:35am On Mar 05, 2015
dein77:
The last time I checked, our problems didn't start in 2010.

People like you make me laugh. Who told you GEJ started our problem? The point any intelligent and sensible adult accept is that GEJ is currently President and has led Nigeria for 5 years in a period where, courtesy of oil selling at $100-$110 per barrel, he received by far the greatest accrual of income available to a Nigerian President since we became a sovereign nation. What is his own effort and unique approach towards solving our perennial power woes? Sadly for his apologists, like you, GEJ could only deliver a crony capitalism scam packaged as "power privatisation". Under this 419 scheme, involving the same set of AGIPs who have run Nigeria into the ground over decades, Nigerians now pay far more yet experience only greater darkness and worsening supply.

GEJ has failed. There is no way to spin that and no critically-thinking adult will reason as you do vis-a-vis your quip about "our problems didn't start in 2010". Leaders get elected to deliver solutions not to worsen things only to then feebly say "the problem pre-dates me". This is even worse in the case of GEJ who made all manners of promises about "delivering stable electricity within four years" when he was seeking the votes of Nigerians in 2010-2011.

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by mrmetoo1: 10:36am On Mar 05, 2015
How people can keep on defending this man's failures still baffles me. Guess what? It's not going to get better under him because he has supporters that'll say GEJ till whenever no matter their condition. If GEJ is re-elected what is his motivation to do better when there are people hailing him as the president ever.

My cousin took her clothes to her tailor. Tailor was in her shop sweating, talking about na Jona I go vote for. Her condition was, generator fumes from another store killing her, there's a cook next to her so the heat from there is killing her. No power for her to even turn on a fan. She was chased from her own shop because things are so bad so she shares a shop with another tailor right now yet she kept saying na Jonathan because Jonathan na Christian. The other guy in the shop a Buhari supporter was just like don't mind her, look at her condition and she keeps shouting Jonathan.

They even had to lie to themselves a couple of days ago that the power failure is not PDP's fault but APC's. I really hope we vote out failure so that we get a chance at a better nation. Let these guys know that NEVER AGAIN would failure be rewarded.

10 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Chigold101(m): 10:36am On Mar 05, 2015
Habayomie:
No power,no fuel...Gas-very expensive!!!
i dont know where u live but where i live Odume Obosi we have light 20hours everyday. And we also have fuel right here in Anambra state...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 05, 2015
Change2015:

All you have said condemns the pdp beyond redemption. Thief following thief in power, but even then people recognise the especially clueless Jonathan as a truly new low in Nigerian politics. March 28th is for repentance and #change

#GMB
#APC
dose dat means tinubu and his bandits re d saviours lipsrsealed?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by queensmith: 10:50am On Mar 05, 2015
alaoeri:
Someone said our problem didn't start in 2010 & my question is must we continue like this? If GEJ can't put us on right track not necessarily to the promised land for 5years then Jona doesn't need our support for additional 4years, time to kick the clueless one out of Aso rock.

My thoughts exactly. So because the administration in 197something was useless Nigeria should remain useless according to these people?

It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't blame them - they have never experienced the benefits of having a truly efficient and ambitious government. Actually thats a lie, Nigeria leaders have been very efficient at enriching themselves and competitive with the amount of money each officer is able to steal.

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 11:13am On Mar 05, 2015
queensmith:

My thoughts exactly. So because the administration in 197something was useless Nigeria should remain useless according to these people?

It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't blame them - they have never experienced the benefits of having a truly efficient and ambitious government. Actually thats a lie, Nigeria leaders have been very efficient at enriching themselves and competitive with the amount of money each officer is able to steal.

This is the crux of the matter. Some Nigerians have now had their thinking and mentality warped by bad governance they do not even realise that they are supporting their own greater enslavement. What else does PDP have to offer after serving up 16 years of darkness? Why would any Nigerian still support Jonathan who has worsened our power woes while making his already rich friends and cronies even richer at our expense?

5 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by anonimi: 11:19am On Mar 05, 2015
Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by anonimi: 11:21am On Mar 05, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2102459_apcteam_png6dc9407cdcc2b68174c445361fc3e4c9

Does anyone remember how much APCheat's navigator- OBJ- spent to procure BLACKOUT throughout eight years in power

- $16 billion
- $160 billion
- N1.6 trillion

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by GeneralBosco: 11:25am On Mar 05, 2015
[s]
OREMUSSANCTUS:
[/s]
Chai

3 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by PassingShot(m): 11:29am On Mar 05, 2015
The most annoying of all of this is the bare-faced lies they tell Nigerians about improvement in power generation!

Like many examples given here already, many of the die-hard supporters of Jonathan unfortunately are also at the receiving end of his poor leadership. Their reasons for supporting him are religion, ethnicity and getting direct benefit from the looting that goes on. Never based on his performance because the much touted performance cannot stand scrutiny test.

To them, I say GEJ till they get sense.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by otr1(m): 11:51am On Mar 05, 2015
NERC is still facing the task of getting GENCOs, DISCOs to abandon PHCN ways. GEJ has created another monster greater than PHCN and NEPA.
Since the privatization nonsense, it has gone from bad to worse. You say you have the interest of the masses at heart and you double the billing rates just to please the investors, even when the supply is falling.
If you plot the price-supply of our power sector in a graph, you'd see it's an abnornal one.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by queensmith: 11:56am On Mar 05, 2015
Gbawe:

This is the crux of the matter. Some Nigerians have now had their thinking and mentality warped by bad governance they do not even realise that they are supporting their own greater enslavement. What else does PDP have to offer after serving up 16 years of darkness? Why would any Nigerian still support Jonathan who has worsened our power woes while making his already rich friends and cronies even richer at our expense?

London underground is over 100 years old, as are some of London's richest institutions banks, and even the best schools.

100 years ago a group of elites were thinking of how to build a great nation, for the benefit of themselves of course but as a consequence the population live decent lifestyles.

100 years later Nigeria is a mes, absolute mess and in this modern day the politicians are brazen with their activities, not an intelligent set, yet they successfully scam and dupe 170million people on a daily basis.

They insult us with propaganda and promises while Nigerians are living in the very darkness they have caused.

4 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by phlemzy: 11:57am On Mar 05, 2015
Its saddening that we found ourselves in this mess. For roughly six years,they keep giving the same unreasonable excuse of vandalization of the gas pipelines. as the reason why power generation never rose to even 10,000MW. What a shameful government,headed by shameless set of people. All because election is approaching,our dear president decided to commission non functional power stations. I wonder what drum of achievement they want to beat in dat sector apart from privatisation of the electricity body which obviously hasn't found a headway. Day by day,power generation keeps dropping & nothing tangible could be done in a nation that is planning a great vision for 2020. They beg for another 4years as if it takes a decade to build a functional power station. You will be judged by all you do.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 12:08pm On Mar 05, 2015
queensmith:

London underground is over 100 years old, as are some of London's richest institutions banks, and even the best schools.

100 years ago a group of elites were thinking of how to build a great nation, for the benefit of themselves of course but as a consequence the population live decent lifestyles.

100 years later Nigeria is a mes, absolute mess and in this modern day the politicians are brazen with their activities, not an intelligent set, yet they successfully scam and dupe 170million people on a daily basis.

They insult us with propaganda and promises while Nigerians are living in the very darkness they have caused.

This is what annoys me the most. It is only ordinary Nigerians living in Nigeria I pity the most because they are literally in "hell" (former President Yar Adua). As for those still singing the praise of the current President and ruling Party, they are just oppressed 'suffering and smiling' elements who are hopeless.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Gbawe: 12:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
PassingShot:
The most annoying of all of this is the bare-faced lies they tell Nigerians about improvement in power generation!

Like many examples given here already, many of the die-hard supporters of Jonathan unfortunately are also at the receiving end of his poor leadership. Their reasons for supporting him are religion, ethnicity and getting direct benefit from the looting that goes on. Never based on his performance because the much touted performance cannot stand scrutiny test.

To them, I say GEJ till they get sense.

Indeed. I don't know how a people can be in so much pain, almost more than others in any other nation worldwide, yet still be asking their oppressor to demean, plunder and molest them harder instead of agitate for the removal of those wickedly deviant leaders ASAP. Mind-boggling I tell you.
Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
We need a new government,we want change,we want Buhari/osinbajo#APC

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by MzJackBaueress(f): 12:18pm On Mar 05, 2015
Chigold101:
i dont know where u live but where i live Odume Obosi we have light 20hours everyday. And we also have fuel right here in Anambra state...
bloody liar!

I am shocked that the skyrocketed bills imposed by these privatized electricity firms, the Southeast is the greatest casualty.

Imagine Innoson paying a hundred million naira every month as electricity bills,when the electricity isn't even available constantly.

WTF!!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by PassingShot(m): 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
queensmith:

It is not surprising that many Nigerians who are very passionate about Change are those living outside the shores of Nigeria. They have seen how a working and sane society should be and wonder why same cannot be replicated back home in Nigeria.

The leaders looters who have equally been to these working societies, are regretably just too wicked and greedy to improve the lots of the country and thus prefer to continue in their stealing "which is not corruption".

The followers have been conditioned to accept mediocre performance. They are "hypnotized" to sing their praise for the exchange of "a plate of porridge" or "protection" as the case may be.

It is really sad for the Nigerian youth!

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan And PDP Have Finally Crippled The Electric Power Sector by giantstrides(m): 12:25pm On Mar 05, 2015
if he'd given us electricity, perhaps we would be talking about real transformation, if we spend another 4 years under PDP its going to be a huge disaster because once you start performing in GEJ's govt, you get sacked.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Did Apc Get Their 1m People Marching For Bubu(pics) / New Sponsored PDP Advert On AIT / Image Of The Enugu Explosion.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.