Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,603 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? (23292 Views)

Hope For A Graduate / Is 30k Salary Good For A Second Class Upper Student(b.sc) / As A Graduate, Can You Work In Restaurant That Pays 80k And Above? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by mans114: 4:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
9jatriot:
Being graduate does not give you the entitlement status of a certain amount. To dream big is within the rights of every human being. The question is, do you have another job waiting for you? A lot of people earn far more than that, some others earn far less than that, yet you are different and should decide for yourself if you want to take it. That is after considering if you intend to build up your experience base that you require for the next big job, if you prefer sleeping up and waking up every morning and watching children go to school and others go to work while you stay at home doing nothing and if the job will afford you the opportunity to meet people who in turn may be the ones to give you information that you would never had heard sleeping and eating at home. In all the choice is yours.

I did not proof read, so any error in English is regretted.

you have said my mind, may God bless you
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Aystarz: 4:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairabetguru:

even those that bet on sports make more than that on a monthly basis wink

Wow! See punchline!
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nairabetguru(m): 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Aystarz:

Wow! See punchline!

they there make pant dey wear you cheesy
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nellyquash(f): 4:29pm On Mar 05, 2015
orlaryhincah2:

Thanks so much

u r welcome
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by orlaryhincah2: 4:30pm On Mar 05, 2015
halimat38:
that is like $120 per month,I make $3300 per month here in California.
that salary is suicidal,can't do anything that is my 4 gas
My sister dis is naija ooo, things aint easy here just served finish and i dont wanna stay home idle so i gotta keep up to something...
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nairabetguru(m): 4:30pm On Mar 05, 2015
orlaryhincah2:
Please I need your opinions? I got this offer and I want to know if I can give a trial, and if not how much can I request for? It's a data administrative post. Please help me with some advice thanks.

and who said you must work for sum1 undecided

see my signature wink
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Aystarz: 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairabetguru:

they there make pant dey wear you cheesy

Lool bro , I dey the groove na... Was close to win 46k yesterday but Orlando Pirates quashed my slip. Won twice in February tho.

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nairabetguru(m): 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2015
Aystarz:

Lool bro , I dey the groove na... Was close to win 46k yesterday but Orlando Pirates quashed my slip. Won twice in February tho.

welcome to my hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood grin
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Aystarz: 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairabetguru:

welcome to my hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood grin

Lool ...trust me mann, the feeling is mutual

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by holysaint1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
sauceny:
Haba...itz extremely poor,cos it can't even manage up ur miscellaneous expenses,not to start thinking of the necessary budget one has to incure.

bruh, some tyms u dey 4get say na 9ja u dey.. :/

As for me, myself and I, i would adv d op to humbly accept the offa.. Its a start..
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Weah96: 5:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
nairabetguru:

am serious.>........ I make more than 250 dollars every 25 days from 1 of my many [url]bet365.com[/url] accounts cheesy

You go end up like Gary Speed.
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nov19(m): 5:41pm On Mar 05, 2015
Before u decide to take it or decide otherwise you need to sit down with your pen and paper and do some calculations.

1. What is the cost of transport per day for 1 month

2. How many hours do your have to work, is it 7am -7pm , 8am - 5pm or what?

3. Will the job give you the space to seek other jobs

4. Do your have to ocassionally work on weekends like many private organizations do.

5. Are there other incentives outside the basic pay.

Careful analysis of this will help u make an informed decision.

From my little experience in the past.

1. I took a job that paid 30k, I didn't do proper analysis and all the pple I met for advice told me its a good start.

2. My transport per day happen to be 700 naira, to cut down cost by 200 I have to walk a long distance that last 1 hour.

3. The stipulated time for work was 8:30 - 5:pm, but in reality I resume 7 am and close most times 7 pm other occasions 8, 9 or 10 pm

4. They always try to make me work weekend even when I had informed them earlier that I run my masters program on weekends.

5. Through out my 9 months stay I could not afford a 300 naira meal. And most times I go hungry.

6. At the end of the 6th month when its was time to review my salary it was all stories.

I decided to leave at the 9th month after taking a critical anlysis of my 9 months stay with them.
1. my 9 month work for the company was worth less than 300k,
2. I had no time for my self
3. I couldnt even afford to buy a shoe through out my stay, talk less of renting a house, and if I borrow money how many months will it take to pay back from a non- existent salary.it was that bad
4. my masters program was in jeopardy
5. It became so obvious I wasn't working in my own interest. So our contract ended.

So let me advice u, forget about what people are saying, do a proper anaylsis yourself and decide whether to take it or not.

If it works thank , if it doesn't blame yourself.
Thankz.

5 Likes

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by whitebrown(f): 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2015
@ poster
Let me share a little fact and experience with you. I studied electrical/ electronics in Nigeria and proceeded to qualify as a chartered accountant way back in 1997, few months after, I left the country in pursuit of a life long dream. Applied for so many jobs I felt was befitting, was always or mostly called for interviews and then the question of experience was always asked. I believed I was very good academically having passed out with your 2/1 in elect/elect and passed my ICAN exams in record time. After spending all my money on faxing cvs and xsport for interviews with one peculiar problem, sound job experience lacking, I knew then that companies value personnel based on the perceived value they will add to the organization and nothing else.
Finally out of frustration, my ego came down and I realized that no matter what I thought of my 'acclaimed brilliance', I needed a place to gain experience rather than seeing myself as an asset to any organization. I started calling practices and offering to work for free. Yes Free! I was used a lot and even voluntarily stayed back when other colleagues had left. Though I had offered to work for free, I was paid what a receptionist of tea lady will get. I remember one of the directors telling me later while I was now in their employ that the reason they called me in for an interview was because it was his first time ever that he heard someone wanted to work for free! He just needed to put a face to the voice.
6 months down the line, multiple promotions, 1 yr down the line, I had become so good that I was heading a whole team to audits of big big companies like daewoo group of those days and the likes. I said I was so good, reason: it's not often when a white boss of a big firm tells you 'you so intelligent, it's frightening' . During my one month resignation notice, 5 companies whom were clients wanted my service and the pay was staggering.

Advice to you my brother, reporting to a place of work for 30days is not what gives you a leverage, it's your value to the company which is a function of what you bring to the table, what value to add to the shareholders wealth, if it's a big corp. Even management want to know what you bring to their pocket also as the more value added to the company, the more your bosses take home in bonuses. If you not there yet, your focus should be where you can gain good valuable experience. Sacrifice now, smile later because when you become good, 'you would ask because you'd know you can deliver'

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by nairabetguru(m): 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2015
Weah96:

You go end up like Gary Speed.

i feel your pain man grin
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by erico2k2(m): 6:52pm On Mar 05, 2015
orlaryhincah2:
Please I need your opinions? I got this offer and I want to know if I can give a trial, and if not how much can I request for? It's a data administrative post. Please help me with some advice thanks.
start from there.I started with 1k a month.1992

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by bamite(m): 6:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
nellyquash:

My dear u better go for it, if not for anything to add up experience. some graduates out there receives less than that. so give it a thought.
u are truly a wife material
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by bamite(m): 6:56pm On Mar 05, 2015
sauceny:
Haba...itz extremely poor,cos it can't even manage up ur miscellaneous expenses,not to start thinking of the necessary budget one has to incure.
still living on mama i can see
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by omoiseselagba: 6:59pm On Mar 05, 2015
iyknaz:
If they are paying u 2 sleep all day, it ain't bad. But if u'r required 2 work ur ass off 4 just 35k, I dnt think it's worth it. Wouldn't u rather use ur time 2 invest in urself or better still find somthin better? I don't believe in working my ass off for an employer wit little or nothin 2 show 4 it. In summation, accept d job if it's stress free and affords u time 4 urself, otherwise ask the employer 2 shove d job up his/her a*s. Thank me later!
you derserve two bottles of orijin.barman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by ControG(m): 7:37pm On Mar 05, 2015
When I was Jobless, I was. Willingly to work for free..to gain experience.. but now, I swear down level don change. so my bro it depends on your present. Situation; Your present status would help us help u to make an optimal decision.
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
Thats the salary of level 8 officer in state ministries here cool
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by orlaryhincah2: 7:55pm On Mar 05, 2015
whitebrown:
@ poster
Let me share a little fact and experience with you. I studied electrical/ electronics in Nigeria and proceeded to qualify as a chartered accountant way back in 1997, few months after, I left the country in pursuit of a life long dream. Applied for so many jobs I felt was befitting, was always or mostly called for interviews and then the question of experience was always asked. I believed I was very good academically having passed out with your 2/1 in elect/elect and passed my ICAN exams in record time. After spending all my money on faxing cvs and xsport for interviews with one peculiar problem, sound job experience lacking, I knew then that companies value personnel based on the perceived value they will add to the organization and nothing else.
Finally out of frustration, my ego came down and I realized that no matter what I thought of my 'acclaimed brilliance', I needed a place to gain experience rather than seeing myself as an asset to any organization. I started calling practices and offering to work for free. Yes Free! I was used a lot and even voluntarily stayed back when other colleagues had left. Though I had offered to work for free, I was paid what a receptionist of tea lady will get. I remember one of the directors telling me later while I was now in their employ that the reason they called me in for an interview was because it was his first time ever that he heard someone wanted to work for free! He just needed to put a face to the voice.
6 months down the line, multiple promotions, 1 yr down the line, I had become so good that I was heading a whole team to audits of big big companies like daewoo group of those days and the likes. I said I was so good, reason: it's not often when a white boss of a big firm tells you 'you so intelligent, it's frightening' . During my one month resignation notice, 5 companies whom were clients wanted my service and the pay was staggering.

Advice to you my brother, reporting to a place of work for 30days is not what gives you a leverage, it's your value to the company which is a function of what you bring to the table, what value to add to the shareholders wealth, if it's a big corp. Even management want to know what you bring to their pocket also as the more value added to the company, the more your bosses take home in bonuses. If you not there yet, your focus should be where you can gain good valuable experience. Sacrifice now, smile later because when you become good, 'you would ask because you'd know you can deliver'
A big thanks to you
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by isaacjohn82(m): 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2015
BRODA BE LESS MINDED OF D TAKE HOME PAY BUT B GREATEFUL TO GOD FOR GIVING A PLACE WERE U CAN GATHER EXPERIENCE FOR D KIND OF PAY UR EXPECTING...
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Gamesmart: 9:13pm On Mar 05, 2015
JideTheBlogger:
Mtchew... Start a blog and earn better money monthly from home, thank me later wink

You that no one knows your blog, how much can you be making from blogging?
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by julyb(m): 9:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
My candid advice is start the work and gain experience.i also made such decision one year ago though my pay is 45k.i tell u i av gain so much experience overtime.i strongly beliv my dream job is next door.wish u goodluck

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Gamesmart: 9:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
icebeatz:

My guy, its not sense of entitlement, its common sense.... . Do you know 35k is less than 250 dollars
250 dollars a month after 4 years in school?
That kind of job is only acceptable if there is room for growth but like I said, there is no room for growth in any company that pays less than 80k to fresh graduate.

What is the point of going to school if not to land a great job and improve your general prospects??
I call jobs like that a "dream killer". Once you accept that kind of employment, you will reduce your expectation I life and begin chasing peanuts.

So earning nothing is dream builder?
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Gamesmart: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
kaydguru:
Take it, if that is what you are worth. But I don't think any sound graduate with adequate skills should earn less than 200k. As an undergrates few years back I earned 50k.

How many companies in Nigeria pay 200k+ for entry level?

Please tell us.
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Gamesmart: 9:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
icebeatz:
No matter how pressed for cash you are, PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THAT JOB.

Instead, use that time you would waste on such job to prepare yourself for masters. Go further.
You know you are better than that job. Its not like you would gain valuable experience from it.

You plan to sponsor him for the Masters?
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Gamesmart: 9:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
halimat38:
that is like $120 per month,I make $3300 per month here in California.
that salary is suicidal.

And you think Nigeria is as expensive as California?
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:06pm On Mar 05, 2015
Gamesmart:

You that no one knows your blog, how much can you be making from blogging?

U must av been living in d rock or u started using internet yesterday. Google social media africa 2014 blogger of the year award and thank me later
Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by IbukaDantata: 10:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
Anybody that advised you to take the job is against your progress and may have been sent by devil.

Run away from slavery in your youth.

Instead of less than 60k job.... Stay on your own do anything... you will develop better in your independence than in your slavery.

And for anybody to tell you that being a graduate does not confer any advantage or status to you is a clear sign that he is out to destroy you.

Don't accept this Job if it is full time and the whole package is less than 60k.

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Bladexinc: 10:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
35k is very small honestly. But in the country we live in today one has to start from somewhere. If you don't have any other choice then take the job for the experience and at the same time be making efforts to get something better.. with time it could definitely get better. Most importantly make sure you make great contacts and meet a lot of people while on the job. God bless your hustle

1 Like

Re: Is 35k Pay Good For A Graduate? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 05, 2015
Gamesmart:

How many companies in Nigeria pay 200k+ for entry level?

Please tell us.

In my own field (IT) several and they even pay more than 200k. Microsoft, Oracle, HP, IBM, EMC, Lenovo, General Electric ,Oil companies and even banks pay IT guys well. In the past few years have been with Cheveron. No connection because i got in on my own. Right now I run my own IT company.

Everyone needs to develop themselves by increasing their head value. No University or Government will do that for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Latest Fresh Graduate & Exp. Recruitment At KPMG Nigeria - 9th July, 2015 / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews / Five Must Avoid Words To Use During Any Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.