Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,564 members, 7,958,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? (5722 Views)

Army Report: Senior Military Officers Denied US, UK Visas Over Rights Abuses / Betty Akeredolu: 'I Met My Hubby During NYSC, He's Broke, Couldn't Take Me Out' / BREAKING!!! Again, U.S Sanctions Buhari Over Human Rights Abuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:

Is it also necessary to regularly execute unarmed suspects without trial? Funny enough, it was this very act that radicalised Boko Haram.

Good point. Many of these people do not pause to reflect. How many innocent lives have been lost to extra-judicial killing?

killing an unarmed prisoner is pure cowardice and wickedness. What is wrong is wrong!

1 Like

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by EdCure: 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
CyberTerrorist:
The OP ran away from his thread grin grin grin
...Because TANkids like you took over with your warped reasonings.

2 Likes

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Firefire(m): 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2015
EdCure:

You get mouth. TANkid? what is that?
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by EdCure: 5:10pm On Mar 07, 2015
Firefire:

You get mouth. TANkid? what is that?
TANkids= PDP Copy & paste fanatics who got no mind of their own, bereft of deep reasoning and defective in critical thinking.

2 Likes

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Seun(m): 5:35pm On Mar 07, 2015
jusRadical:
Oh! I forgot. America should send us the judge that judged all those detained without trial at guatenama bay.
How many women's limbs did they amputate for possession of weapons?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Mar 07, 2015
Firefire:

“I talked about that at the Senate that there is no need for a special court. A judge, two or three in the states can be designated to take care of that (trial of terrorism cases),” she said

http://www.punchng.com/news/tackle-terrorism-corruption-jonathan-urges-mukhtar/
If you dedicate some judges/courts to terrorism cases then they are effectively a special court. There is no real need to label them as such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Firefire(m): 5:56pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:
If you dedicate some judges/courts to terrorism cases then they are effectively a special court. There is no real need to label them as such.

But we are yet to hear of any name(s) or court being dedicated yet.

The war against terrorism is a collective fight, all the three organs of government must be fully involved.

This is yet to be achieved in Nigeria.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:

Go through the link below and read about your 'saint' america killing over 1,400 innocent people in their quest to kill just 28 terror suspects.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147

So what do you suppose should be done to your sisters who aid and abett boko haram to kill thousands of innocent souls.

You are so pathetic.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:

Confirm dedicated judges and courts just like america did with both the terror suspects and innocent people they killed with their 'precisely targetted' drone attacks.

See

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:

Oga Seun, with all sincerity and truthfullness, answer this question.
Has did america kill innocent people in their fight against perceived terror suspects? Did america charge all the suspected terrorists they killed to court?

Which court judged sadam, chemical ali, osama bin laden, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Good point. Many of these people do not pause to reflect. How many innocent lives have been lost to extra-judicial killing?

killing an unarmed prisoner is pure cowardice and wickedness. What is wrong is wrong!

People like you are willing tools in the hands of selfish nations like america.

Do you know that america killed over 1,400 innocent people with their drone attacks?

Do you know the number of innocent people killed by america? Which court found sadam, gadaffi, chemical ali, osama, etc guilty?
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by MayorofLagos(m): 6:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
@OP,

In international relations, government statements are given in measures. US government does not sell weapons. They approve the sale of weapons. Contractors are the ones that sell weapons.

Before that statement was made they have had roundtable discussions with arms contractors, CIA, political think tanks, trade and commerce experts to weigh the trade offs and impact of US influence in Nigeria.

If they brlieve for instance that Nigeria's relations with China should be the tradeoff for arms supply then Nigeria would need to reposition its closeness to China and lean more to US before approval is given for shipment. Perharps US contractors have struggled for years and unsuccessfully to flood our country with genetically modified foods, maybe our congress have snubbed US on its intetest to seek protective laws for homosexuality....is it remotely possible that these arms could end up in the hands of terrorists in Delta who would then use it to create endangerement in oil producing areas?

Well, the contractors dont speak to the public on arms procurement. If they did they will speak in terms and language that will destroy international relations. Therefore the US State Department (diplomatix..lol) speaks....and they do so with tact and diplomacy.

So, this refusal to supply us arms has nothing go do with human rights abuse.....but if it does, then its based on the decision of our government not to recognize homosexuality, an act US satanically classifies as a human right!
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Mar 07, 2015
MayorofLagos:
@OP,

In international relations, government statements are given in measures. US government does not sell weapons. They approve the sale of weapons. Contractors are the ones that sell weapons.

Before that statement was made they have had roundtable discussions with arms contractors, CIA, political think tanks, trade and commerce experts to weigh the trade offs and impact of US influence in Nigeria.

If they brlieve for instance that Nigeria's relations with China should be the tradeoff for arms supply then Nigeria would need to reposition its closeness to China and lean more to US before approval is given for shipment. Perharps US contractors have struggled for years and unsuccessfully to flood our country with genetically modified foods, maybe our congress have snubbed US on its intetest to seek protective laws for homosexuality....is it remotely possible that these arms could end up in the hands of terrorists in Delta who would then use it to create endangerement in oil producing areas?

Well, the contractors dont speak to the public on arms procurement. If they did they will speak in terms and language that will destroy international relations. Therefore the US State Department (diplomatix..lol) speaks....and they do so with tact and diplomacy.

So, this refusal to supply us arms has nothing go do with human rights abuse.....but if it does, then its based on the decision of our government not to recognize homosexuality, an act US classifies as a human right!

True talk sir mayor.

Please teach them. They think that the ban on homosexuals na small thing.

America MY FOOT.

America gbakwa oku.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by selectedhero(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2015
PLS READ WHAT YOU WROTE AND THINK AGAIN, IT SMELLS OF ILLITERACY (FORGIVE ME THAT WAS HARSH THOUGH). SEUN SERIOUSLY? YOU WANT ME TO BELIEVE OSAMA HAD REGARDS FOR HUMAN RIGHT? THEN WHAT HAPPENED ON SEPTEMBER 11?
AND WHO SAID USG PROVIDED THE TERRORIST WITH WEAPON ON THE GROUNDS OF HUMAN RIGHTS. AND ALSO NOTE THAT THE BH WAR WAS/IS NOT ANYTHING NEAR CONVENTIONAL WARFARE AND I WILL SAY "BIG LIAR" TO THE NA IF THEY SAY THEY ARE UPHOLDING HUMAN RIGHTS, COS THEY CANT IN THIS SITUATION. SO I SAY TO THE US - HOLD ONTO YOUR WEAPONS. THE COLLECTIVE WILL OF THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE CANT BE DAMPENED WE WILL GET OUR WEAPONS ANYWAY.

NB. I DON'T HAVE TO BE A GEJ SUPPORTER TO SEE THAT THERE IS NOTHING THAT WE CAN DO ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by nduchucks: 6:49pm On Mar 07, 2015
jusRadical:

Seun, please you people should stop minding those morally bankrupt nations like the USA.

I have a chat with a military man who fought against the boko haram.

He said that a time came when the boko haram men started giving their women their gun loaded magazines. These women hid them in the hajiab and were not searched because in islam, military men are forbidden to search women. So this continued until it was discovered.

So a Kogi commander was brought who ordered the searching of these women and anyone caught was amputated and left to die.

This made the USA and their house-boy britain to start ranting.

You should be ashamed of yourself for this lame attempt at minimizing the attrocious crimes committed in your name. The reasons why we were denied those weapons are better depicted below:

Nigeria: Gruesome footage implicates military in war crimes

Nigerian Troops Battling Boko Haram Are Guilty of War Crimes: Report

Nigeria troops slitting Boko Haram suspects' throats
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by docadams: 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
Seun:

Is it also necessary to regularly execute unarmed suspects without trial? Funny enough, it was this very act that radicalised Boko Haram.

I had to compel myself to break my sabbatical from posting on NL because of the strong desire to respond to your post because it is thought provoking.

No country is an island. Even those countries that are self-sufficient cannot afford isolationism. They rely on internal and external assessment and criticism to correct their shortcomings towards a greater goal. What China is today owes much to the constant barrage of criticism from the west especially in the 80's and 90's.

It is so sad that Nigeria in the eyes of the international community with GEJ in charge leaves much to be desired.
The regime appears to welcome only praise-singing but responds with insults when the reverse is the case.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by CyberTerrorist: 7:42pm On Mar 07, 2015
Gbawe2:

Have you seen me argue here that the USA is a human rights champion or human rights 'Police' of the world? Frankly I don't hold such views. George Bush, for example, is a war criminal in my opinion. I was an active blogger before the period leading to the Iraq war and I wrote passionately about WMD (weapons of mass destruction) being just an excuse for Bush and Blair, post 9/11, to criminally invade Iraq and topple a figurehead proponent (Saddam ) of the "axis of evil".

Read what I wrote again and you will see I make it clear that the issue of the USA failing to help Nigeria goes beyond the consideration of human rights abuse alone. The USA has always being able to 'live with' human rights abuse and 'collateral damage' if such is in her interest. Read below to see that the real issue is that the USA is not keen, any time soon, to help Boko Haram become the ISIS of West Africa. This is the real reason the USA will not be supplying Nigeria with powerful weapons. You guys, instead of just being emotional and angry, should follow events closer and view issues dispassionately. This way it will be obvious what all stakeholders are doing when they take certain decisions.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/rift-between-us-nigeria-impeding-fight-against-boko-haram/200239/

And you conveniently accused FG of sponsoring BH?..The problem with you guys is that you always think you know too much but in real fact is that you know nothing at all. Everything you guys write are based on assumptions and speculations..No clear knowledge of what is happening at all..Get a very good hacker by your side to enable you gain access into America's intelligence system, then you come back and tell us what you got angry...Anyway I don't have time for you people..
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by CyberTerrorist: 7:45pm On Mar 07, 2015
EdCure:

Swerve one side..Dunce angry
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Ovamboland(m): 12:14am On Mar 08, 2015
jusRadical:

So in the time of war, you arrest and try?

So you will take the person caught smuggling guns for boko haram to court?

People like you are worse than the boko men.

You want to defeat terror by adopting terrorist methods, did we Africans miss a loop in evolution? Murdering their leader in cold blood in 2009 has only served to make the terrorists stronger, but yet we still continue to reinforce the failed method.

People like you are no different from Boko Haram, only you are yet to possess guns, i am sure you will also gleefully participate in lynching alleged witches.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:24am On Mar 08, 2015
jusRadical:

People like you are willing tools in the hands of selfish nations like america.

Do you know that america killed over 1,400 innocent people with their drone attacks?

Do you know the number of innocent people killed by america? Which court found sadam, gadaffi, chemical ali, osama, etc guilty?

With all due respect, I find the presumptions implicit in your response almost savage!

Where in my post did I say killing Gadaffi or Osama was right! They were all killings motivated by revenge as are all extra-judicial killings.

Are you perhaps suggesting that it is right because mighty America does it? And so it wouldn't be so bad if we did the same?

It bears repeating, what is wrong is wrong!
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by AnonymX: 1:58am On Mar 10, 2015
Seun:

Boko Haram would have radicalised sooner or later... Sometimes Law simply does not work for common sense, "morality" does the job.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by AnonymX: 2:01am On Mar 10, 2015
Seun:
The U.S. says, don't execute people on mere suspicion without proper trial. Don't punish the innocent along with the guilty. If you do this we will provide you with assistance and advanced weapons that will make it easy for you to defeat the Bokos. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Seeing a guy who because of his unexplanable actions, you lost your two best friends in battle, what would you do?

I simply don't believe the U.S' sincerity on this issue.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Nobody: 3:09am On Mar 10, 2015
chai some people nor go like this thread oh
cc saTanoids
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by owobokiri(m): 3:37am On Mar 10, 2015
It was a ruse, a smokesreen to encourage the war in order to force the Nigerias government hands to agree to certain conditions of existence. . And I have a feeling that that goal was achieved and now they don't mind the withering down of boko haram activities, atleast for the time being.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by selectedhero(m): 4:39am On Mar 10, 2015
SENIOR MR NAIVE
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by Swiftboy(m): 5:22am On Mar 10, 2015
Gbawe2:

Indeed. Imagine how Boko Haram were quickly able to procure and use gas mask shortly after the USA decided to gas and knock them out so that ground offensive can then move in to rescue the girls? Those are the sort of things that should worry all decent Nigerians. We may love deceiving ourselves in Nigeria but the USA, and any serious nation for that manner, will justifiably not work with such a dangerous level of internal sabotage. This is the main reason the USA has washed its hands off helping Nigeria while GEJ is President.

The greatest fear, which is legitimate and justified, is that any weapon supplied to Nigeria may end up in the hands of Boko Haram. What will this then do to Nigeria considering that very powerful weapons could make Boko Haram considerably more dangerous and more deadly than the terror group is already? Any right-thinking Nigerian will appreciate that the USA acted responsibly and correctly given all that has happened.
ofcos there are Boko boys in the military or those that believe in the terrorist group's campaign as being Islamic. Why are you spreading propaganda as tho its GEJ thats arming the BH guys? Even Goodluck admit the sabotage. Do you also know that if citizens can give the right information BH would not have been this strong? Do you also know there are fathers that are donating their children for the service of the Islamic state they intend to establish? Stop blaming Goodluck when he is the number one victim of the military sabotage. Thank God for neighbours that are now ready to fight.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by papaejima1: 6:49am On Mar 10, 2015
Seun:
The US and other western countries refused to sell arms to Nigeria because of human right violations they observed going on in our war against Boko Haram. Why couldn't we just stop the human rights abuses in order to get their superior weapons and crush Boko Haram? This is the same US that sold weapons to Osama Bin Ladin before he became a terrorist and several rebel groups in Syria fighting against Assad. If Osama Bin Ladin and Syrian rebels could fight without egregious human rights violations that would cause the U.S. not to sell them weapons, then why couldn't our Army do the same? Did they think it was more necessary to violate human rights than to get superior weapons?

Seun am surprised at you for buying that lie from the western media.
What human right abuse is worse than cutting out and eating the hearts of your victims and opponents?
This was filmed by the syrian rebels not even an allegation and the same hypocritical western nations and US still funnel weapons to them.

And please come off your assumption that its only the US that has superior weapons.
Make the research, china presently has many superior weapons to that of the US, from ship killing missiles, Carrier Defence penetrating Missiles to Ballistic weapons that can outrun every anti-missile defence system owned by the US. While the US has many advanced weapons systems, other countries also have its equivalents too.

Besides, dont forget how a force of 800 ISIS fighters routed an iraqi army 35,000 strong with so called superiir American weapons.
They simply abandoned the american weapons to the insurgents and ran away.
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 8:57am On Mar 13, 2015
Seun:
The U.S. says, don't execute people on mere suspicion without proper trial. Don't punish the innocent along with the guilty. If you do this we will provide you with assistance and advanced weapons that will make it easy for you to defeat the Bokos. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Egbon no vex o
But I want to place ads on some part of the sections but my question is how do I make the payment is online or tru bank payment ...
Please its urgent I need full details.
Tanks
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by giantstrides(m): 9:36am On Mar 13, 2015
Seun:

What we have to realise foremost is that the human right thing is just an excuse, the saudi's despite their terrible human right weapons are now the worlds largest importer of weapon from the USA, Egypt gets more than a billion dollars in weapons yearly from the USA, the syrian rebels were giiven weapons to fight Assad despite their atrocities, Even the USA operated the Guatanamo detention facility where suspected terrorists were tortured using terrible means. What we can take from this is the US only cares about their interests and they are double faced, they have never sold Nigeria weapons during time of need. During the civil war, the west and it's allies refused to sell Nigeria weapons, we had to turn to russia, in sierra leone, when Nigeria's peace keeping force under Ecomog were fighting the rebels, they refused to sell weapons again, citing this same human rights abuse , now we are faced with the threat of boko haram, the human right excuse comes up again. So if we are to take a look at the scenario playing over and over again, we cn assume the US either doesn't care abt Nigeria or they are scared of a Nigeria which is militarily strong. I will assume the latter is the case, the US doesn't want a strong Nigeria, why? Because a strong Nigeria with its bountiful human resources, mineral resources, economy, population could be a countering power on US influence on Africa. For example OBJ refused to allow the US move their Africom base to Nigeria, Nigeria supported the Black south africans during apartheid era, even providing refuge for some of them, Nigeria refused to pass the Gay rights law, Nigeria sends it's soldiers for peace keeping duties where ever there is trouble in Africa. Now this same Nigeria is the largest economy in africa, wht does the US stand to gain from a strong Nigeria? As at now nothing whatsoever, the US has stopped importing oil from Nigeria, they now produce their own oil, so Nigeria is of no strategic value to them, why not just let them weaken, or allow them break up into three.
And our leaders play into their hands, our funny president voted in favour of a no fly zone in libya, all in a bid to oust gaddafi thereby turning the tide in favour of the rebels,Now libya which was also a very strong anti US country is no more, all we have is the dying embers of a once powerful country, two govts operating, one backed by the international community, another backed by armed rebels. How did our libya error turn out for us? All kind of weapons looted, moving easily from libya into mali, chad, also into Nigeria's porous borders into Boko Haram hands and we claimed they operate sophisticated weapons against the army. All this human right issue is a lie, if we were important they will turn a blind eye to it, but we are not. Thank God for Russia and China, they will sell u weapons all they need is your money, and their weapons are so damn good, if we had a better leader who understood tht you must project strength and charisma before the world will respect you, we would have defeated boko haram since, instead today you learn USA doesn't want to sell weapons,, tomorrow you read Nigeria cancles training with the US and the day after you hear the president again asking for USA help in fighting the insurgents. We will defeat boko haram, but after that we need to look at where our interest really lies, a declining west or a resurging east. Like Abacha said " To hell with the West, I will face the East "... Look what it earned him though
Re: Why Couldn't We Stop Human Rights Abuses To Get Better Weapons? by PedroJP(m): 12:13pm On Mar 13, 2015
atlwireles:

Long story for nothing. Actions have spoken louder than words. The Nigerian army and the government placed their hopes on a partner that never was. Since the United states advise and counsel have been relegated to the dustbin, both in public and in private. The military action since January have progressed with a level of success not seen since 2012.

Just like what is happening in Iraq now. Since they told USA that they'v not done enof in helping them and they can do without US, they'v seen progress and are retaking cities back from ISIS.

D thing is, US's plans in Nugeria aren't working for them. Naija dey give dem better frustration, either from the masses or from the govt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cross River State Gov. Prof. Ben Ayade Pays June Salary On The 25th Of June! / See The Major Grammatical Error Niger Delta Made On Their Currency / Buhari: 'elections Are Not Always Easy In Africa'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.