Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English (2153 Views)

This Nigerian Soldier Died Giving His Life For His Comrades .photo / if you dont know any of these, you shouldn't be discussing nigerian politics / See How This Nigerian Family Are Preparing For Elections (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by jaldesa(m): 6:31am On Mar 14, 2015
I just hate this Nigerian English!You guys dont know how to talk speak or what

"na", "Abi" , "ooo"

What kind of pronunciation are these?

Just a comment, no hate!!!

Look at our forums http://kenyachat.webkenni.com
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Mayor21(m): 6:35am On Mar 14, 2015
Were u from?
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by sweettease(f): 6:39am On Mar 14, 2015
It's our own way of laying emphasis.
Where are you from, you don't even know how to post a topic in the right section undecided Politics

7 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by dajoaneke(m): 6:42am On Mar 14, 2015
Me speak bad english It's unpossible ooo. Haba we are educated na.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Nobody: 6:58am On Mar 14, 2015
op,
Na is Ibo- I think is used for emphasis
Abi is Yoruba- used for asking questions.
ooooo is worldwide, recording artistes the world-over use it in songs

Basically they are used in pidgin English known to you as Nigerian-English.

And yes op's English is defective-'talk English' and 'pronounciation' rather than speak English and pronunciation.

8 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Nobody: 7:00am On Mar 14, 2015
Who is this one?
where are you from?

This is a Nigerian forum. If you can't deal with this, LEAVE

6 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Adetula1(m): 7:12am On Mar 14, 2015
wetin? guy free us oooooo!
as Nigerians,we express ourselves better using those words.if you are not ok with them,relocate to Kenya.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Onyegecha(f): 7:16am On Mar 14, 2015
Must we know how to speak English? How many English people know how to speak Igbo, Yorubah, Hausa, Efik and so on? You should be worried when you see an Igbo person who cannot read, write or speak Igbo. Abeg stop this false and needless alarm

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by psucc(m): 7:16am On Mar 14, 2015
OP we don't talk English rather we speak English.

And am sure you are a fulani-american.

1 Like

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by SmooshCHN: 7:20am On Mar 14, 2015
jaldesa:
I just hate this Nigerian English!You guys dont know how to talk English or what

"na", "Abi" , "ooo"

What kind of pronounciation are these?

You can't even type correctly and you come here dashing people. Your spoken or written English is Subpar. Do you Talk English or Speak English?
and it's spelt "Pronunciation" not Pronounciation

9 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by kokoA(m): 7:21am On Mar 14, 2015
Abeg what is this one early this morning na?
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by SomebodyLovesMe: 7:24am On Mar 14, 2015
jaldesa:
I just hate this Nigerian English!You guys dont know how to talk English or what

"na", "Abi" , "ooo"

*Edited

Just realised that OP isn't Nigerian and hence, doesn't understand our context.

Many Nigerians speak 2 kinds of English: English and Pidgin English.

They can speak both types fluently. On public forums, some speak pidgin but in the business world and other environments, speak conventional English excellently well.
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Segadem(m): 7:26am On Mar 14, 2015
sweettease:
It's our own way of laying emphasis.
Where are you from, you don't even know how to post a topic in the right section undecided Politics
he's from Pluto na,and I learnt he school @ university of aliens in Saturn,abi? then his jet crass landed in Nigeria.
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by olufunzy: 7:27am On Mar 14, 2015
psucc:
OP we don't talk English rather we speak English.

And am sure you are a fulani-american.
grin
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by rheether(f): 7:27am On Mar 14, 2015
We don't talk English Mr man..we speak English..
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Tapout(m): 7:33am On Mar 14, 2015
jaldesa:

"na", "Abi" , "ooo"

we Don see u wey sabi speak am wella. ....undecided
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by imsuboi(m): 8:08am On Mar 14, 2015
undecided
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Jostico: 8:20am On Mar 14, 2015
you need training bc you're still a kid.
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Ojestas(m): 8:35am On Mar 14, 2015
Radarada
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by jaldesa(m): 8:35am On Mar 14, 2015
Quill:
op,
Na is Ibo- I think is used for emphasis
Abi is Yoruba- used for asking questions.
ooooo is worldwide, recording artistes the world-over use it in songs

Basically they are used in pidgin English known to you as Nigerian-English.

And yes op's English is defective-'talk English' and 'pronounciation' rather than speak English and pronunciation.

Thanks for enlightening me!

2 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by precious001(f): 8:52am On Mar 14, 2015
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by otr1(m): 9:21am On Mar 14, 2015
SomebodyLovesMe:

It has a lot to do with the foundation. Many Nigerian schools don't teach properly these days. It doesn't help that many Nigerians don't like to read either.

And many are unwilling to improve, which explains some of the comments above. That is why many are unemployable.
You're even more clueless than the OPgrin
So I'm wrong if I say "Be reasonable na" and you're more proficient in English than the East Enders and some Americans who would say "you was?"
Buy yourself some sense abeg!cheesy This is Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Kologie: 9:40am On Mar 14, 2015
@ op, there is no iota of sense in this topic of yours. Pidgin English is our lingua franca and we enjoy speaking it anywhere--in the office, church or even political rallies. It cut across various class and flows better than the borrowed English because of it 'Nigerianess'. I dont think there is any home-grown Nigerian who does not understand and use those pidgin words.

1 Like

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:42am On Mar 14, 2015
op, if you don't like it, there a transformer in need of a big hug.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by anwo247: 9:58am On Mar 14, 2015
SomebodyLovesMe:

It has a lot to do with the foundation. Many Nigerian schools don't teach properly these days. It doesn't help that many Nigerians don't like to read either.

And many are unwilling to improve, which explains some of the comments above. That is why many are unemployable.

You're so silly. Did I hear you say yes sir? Korrect, dat na ma boy... oya na, run commot for naija. Nonsense!
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:08am On Mar 14, 2015
OP, you're wrong. Those expressions are not always used in standard English in Nigeria. If they are, especially in writing, the user is going to be penalized. They're mostly used in Pidgin, which in itself is made up of a combination of different local dialects and languages as well as the national lingua franca.
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by Blackfire(m): 10:53am On Mar 14, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
op, if you don't like it, there a transformer in need of a big hug.

op,the thunder wey go fire u,is giving amadioha+ sango handshake

1 Like

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by danot1030: 10:59am On Mar 14, 2015
And yet you can't avoid our forum. That means you are learning english from us. Abi na, abi ooo. Hope you get it.

1 Like

Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by danot1030: 11:04am On Mar 14, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
OP, you're wrong. Those expressions are not always used in standard English in Nigeria. If they are, especially in writing, the user is going to be penalized. They're mostly used in Pidgin, which in itself is made up of a combination of different local dialects and languages as well as the national lingua franca.
you need not patronise that man, we owe him no apology as long as we are proud of ourselves, no one should paint us inferior. Kenya can go ahead and form their own english, we don't care.
Re: I Just Hate this Nigerian English!you Guys Dont Know How To speak English by danot1030: 11:13am On Mar 14, 2015
SomebodyLovesMe:

who is this clueless mind? Go to South African forum and some other America forum and come back to tell us what find there. Some of are just jealous and cannot withstand that Nigeria and Nigerians excel you all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forgive Me Just As My Father Obasanjo Forgave You Buruji Tell Tinubu / My Fellow Igbos Beware Of Biafra Agitation / The Federal Govt Should Learn From Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.