Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Has Fashola Performed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Fashola Performed? (4931 Views)

BBC Hardtalk Interview:how Babatunde Fashola Performed Excellently!! / Fashola Performed Better Than I Did – Tinubu / Fashola Performed Better Than I Did, Tinubu Admits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Fashola Performed? by alexlee50: 11:22am On Mar 15, 2015
The media has been used as a tool to influence our thoughts, judgement and way of life.Most times, when u look through comments made by people in various social platform, they tend to give an impression that Governor fashola of lagos state has performed exceedingly well.sometimes some rate him as the best governor in nigeria.lets pause for a second, and lets rate this performance.Being public officer, we should access him based on health sector, employment, infastructural development, security, provision of services.let's start with infastructural development, can anyone show me a new road that has been built in lagos state apart from the lekki/epe express road from 1970 till date? even this lekkki/epe road people are made to pay toll on this road? A road built with loan from the world bank.note this is a state that collects over 20b as internally generated revenue.lets look at water, which part of lagos still has public water running from the taps?on health, how many new health centres/hospitals are adequately equiped to take care of emergencies? A month ago, a friend was returning home from work, he was shot by armed robbers, he was rushed to the lagos government teaching hospital, they didn't have his blood typeto enable them do a ttransfusion. How can a performing governor not provide a functional blood bank in the state owned teaching hospital? This is a state that prides itself as the centre of excellence and wants to be a mega city by 2020.suffice it to say the patient died.let's look at housing, how many houses have the lagos state government built to accomodate medium and low income earners?what about employment? How many people have the lagos state government employment? If the private sector leaves lagos today, what plans does the lagos state governor under fashola have to create employment and boost the economy? Is the clearing of hoodlums at oshodi and planting of flowers on the road enough to say he has performed.if u ask me, I would tell u this, as compared to the resources he has, he didn't do anything.so the question is this, is fasholas performance not a media hype or is there something someone wants to tell us?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by braine(m): 11:37am On Mar 15, 2015
Yes he has. Come to my hood in Surulere to witness the massive infrastructures. You'll be amazed.

2 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Areacode213: 12:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
True. Ironically, GEJ administration's utter underperformance (so puzzling, for one having vast pipelines of goodwill back in '11) has provided a convenient foil for the leadership in Lag & its likes all over the nation

The distraction of FG's poor leadership has been a good cover so far
Relieve the country of GEJ & then watch light shine in dark places, hopefully
Surely Lagos would be far more livable if performance indeed, even nearly, matched the hype.

Nigerians' tested patience is surely too pent up by now to further bear the hot air from overrated 'performance'
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Mar 15, 2015
Grossly Overated. Lagos is a Hell to live in.

4 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by sammyj: 12:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fashola performance is exceptional and excellent compared to all 35 state Governors including this Clueless Administration (FG) put together !!!

GMB/PYO till GEJ ask each Oba's to refund our 250 dollars thousand !!!

3 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by phayvoursky(m): 1:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
YES. HE HAS PERFORMED TREMENDOUSLY IN SUCCESSFULLY LOOTING AND SQUANDERING THE FUNDS OF LAGOS STATE WITH THE JAGABAN OF LAGOS (WHAT A TITLE).

MOST PROJECTS IN LAGOS STATE ARE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FUNDED. LABARAN MAKU CLEARLY STATED THAT WHEN HE WAS THE MINISTER OF INFORMATION.

IV NOT KNOWN PROJECTS FUNDED BY THE STATE GOVERNMENT.

WELL EXCEPT MARKING YELLOW LINES ON FEDERAL ROADS FOR THE EASY MOVEMENT OF BRT BUSES.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by egift(m): 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
Yes. Fashola has performed. Now is the time for Akinwunmi Ambode to continue. Lagos can never be used for Experiments by a Chemist and his Ex-Convict Godfather.

4 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by DMerciful(m): 2:16pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fashola has groosly underperformed. His biggest selling point is that he is a good orator and somehow himself and Tinubu has mass-hypnotised Lagosians.

4 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by oduastates: 2:18pm On Mar 15, 2015
Yes he has.
Even beyond how he was expected
Let the former US ambassador to Nigeria do the talking.

Seth D. Kaplan, writing in the opinion pages of the January 7 New York Times, observes that by 2015, half the world’s population living on less than $1.25 a day will reside in fragile states. These poor contribute disproportionately to political instability, even terrorism. Nigeria is a fragile state, and the “worst run of the world’s most populated countries.”

Lagos, the commercial and cultural capital of the country, has a population of more than 17 million. By comparison, New York’s five boroughs numbered 8.337 million in 2012. Most Lagos residents are impoverished and large portions of the city are built in a swamp. Nevertheless, Kaplan suggests that Lagos may be a model for how fragile states might begin to succeed. Kaplan points out that in fragile countries such as Nigeria, central governments are often remote from their citizenry and politics is dominated by elites struggling for a larger piece of the pie. Not so, at least to the same extent, in urban agglomerations like Lagos where more localized elections take place.

[b]Kaplan’s strategy (shared by many) is devolution of power from the corrupt national government to state and local governments and the creation of a local culture that holds governments accountable. [/b]Devolved power (under Nigeria’s 1999 constitution) means that the Lagos electorate can and does demand specific services, thereby encouraging candidates to address practical problems. [/b]Numerous Nigerian interlocutors have told me that something approaching a civic contract is indeed emerging in Lagos: citizens pay taxes and the city government provides services. Over the past decade public transportation, garbage collection, and street cleaning have dramatically improved. The Lagos state government has also become friendlier to business.

I would also suggest that Lagos has been fortunate in its leadership. The current governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Fashola has vision, native political skills, and an eye for good management. So too did his predecessor, Bola Tinubu. So, one good governor succeeded another, though subsequently they have fallen out with each other. Kaplan also argues that in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural city like Lagos, politicians cannot afford to pit ethnic and religious groups against one another. Both Tinubu and Fashola have emphasized what unites Lagos, not what divides it. Finally Lagos has had a long tradition of opposition to whatever government is installed in Abuja. Among other consequences, Lagos has had to meet its costs of government largely through local taxation rather than through oil revenue doled out by the central government. But, the nagging question remains how much of the progress in Lagos is the result of the personalities and skills of the last two governors, rather than a fundamental transformation of its political culture.
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by vanilson(m): 2:21pm On Mar 15, 2015
Exceptional performance that cannot be undermined in any capacity
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by alexlee50: 2:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
sammyj:
Fashola performance is exceptional and excellent compared to all 35 state Governors including this Clueless Administration (FG) put together !!!

You think fashola has performed better than the other 35 governors? I think you need to leave lagos and visit other states.Visit enugu and akwa ibom, there may be others, but these are two states I have visited recently. Rate this so called performance with the revenue he collects then we can say he has perfomed or not.this is a man that collects federal allocation and he also has an internally generated revenue of more than 20billion monthly, tell me what this man has done in lagos state.someone was talking about him doing some roads in surulere, yes that is correct.he was maintaining old roads.tell me one new road he has built in lagos state from 1970 till date , apart from the lekki road which lagosians are made to pay toll for? BRT, why didnt he put a sustainable plan to maintain the BRT buses , they are more or less like molue.this is someone who refused to provide information to an ngo/cso when they sought to find out how the funds of lagos state are being managed.someone who couldn't domesticate the FOI Act, in Lagos state.u call him transparent and the best performing? Cluelessness has just been elevated to another level

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by alexlee50: 2:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
Those who have claimed fashola has performed exceptionally have failed to mention his achievements.let someone please tell us this mans achievement.he is over rated by the media.someone who could not show transparency when a request was made through the FOI Act to provide information on expenditure in lagos state.someone who could not domesticate the FOI Act in lagos
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by sammyj: 3:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
I hear you bro !!! grin grin
alexlee50:
You think fashola has performed better than the other 35 governors? I think you need to leave lagos and visit other states.Visit enugu and akwa ibom, there may be others, but these are two states I have visited recently. Rate this so called performance with the revenue he collects then we can say he has perfomed or not.this is a man that collects federal allocation and he also has an internally generated revenue of more than 20billion monthly, tell me what this man has done in lagos state.someone was talking about him doing some roads in surulere, yes that is correct.he was maintaining old roads.tell me one new road he has built in lagos state from 1970 till date , apart from the lekki road which lagosians are made to pay toll for? BRT, why didnt he put a sustainable plan to maintain the BRT buses , they are more or less like molue.this is someone who refused to provide information to an ngo/cso when they sought to find out how the funds of lagos state are being managed.someone who couldn't domesticate the FOI Act, in Lagos state.u call him transparent and the best performing? Cluelessness has just been elevated to another level
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by alexlee50: 6:01am On Mar 16, 2015
Mods pls do the needful, take this to frontpsge, lets have people of diverse opinion state their points
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by tit(f): 6:10am On Mar 16, 2015
The biggest sign of fashola's underservice to Lagos is his inability to recover and stop all the billions of money looted by tinubu.
The fact that tinubu is still looting billions of lagos public money everyday till this day is most embarrassing to any Ogbeni.

3 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by francizy(m): 7:33am On Mar 16, 2015
People are blinded by sentiments for not knowing that anything the Nigerian Biggest Landlord - NBL acquires, they, their families, their generations, etc cannot benefit from it. These people don't give a hoot about you else they wouldn't have mortgaged Lagos state into their private purse.

OP, the truth is that of all you've listed, people in my area have not benefited from this administration. But them sabi give us bill make we pay land use charge. We pay the land use charge yet we provide our own security, build our own roads, water own na worst (since 1999), no jobs by the state except for private own coys, LASU 1000% school fees increment, etc.

The government provided amenities to serve only a selected few. Most of what he built or commissioned were around the areas where it will benefit him, NBL, and the rich. Go to Apapa, Okoko, Mushin, Aguda, Satellite Town, Ajegunle, Orile, etc, then you will weep for Lagos state condition and the gullible supporters of this poor administration.

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:23am On Mar 16, 2015
alexlee50:
The media has been used as a tool to influence our thoughts, judgement and way of life.Most times, when u look through comments made by people in various social platform, they tend to give an impression that Governor fashola of lagos state has performed exceedingly well.sometimes some rate him as the best governor in nigeria.lets pause for a second, and lets rate this performance.Being public officer, we should access him based on health sector, employment, infastructural development, security, provision of services.let's start with infastructural development, can anyone show me a new road that has been built in lagos state apart from the lekki/epe express road from 1970 till date? even this lekkki/epe road people are made to pay toll on this road? A road built with loan from the world bank.note this is a state that collects over 20b as internally generated revenue.lets look at water, which part of lagos still has public water running from the taps?on health, how many new health centres/hospitals are adequately equiped to take care of emergencies? A month ago, a friend was returning home from work, he was shot by armed robbers, he was rushed to the lagos government teaching hospital, they didn't have his blood typeto enable them do a ttransfusion. How can a performing governor not provide a functional blood bank in the state owned teaching hospital? This is a state that prides itself as the centre of excellence and wants to be a mega city by 2020.suffice it to say the patient died.let's look at housing, how many houses have the lagos state government built to accomodate medium and low income earners?what about employment? How many people have the lagos state government employment? If the private sector leaves lagos today, what plans does the lagos state governor under fashola have to create employment and boost the economy? Is the clearing of hoodlums at oshodi and planting of flowers on the road enough to say he has performed.if u ask me, I would tell u this, as compared to the resources he has, he didn't do anything.so the question is this, is fasholas performance not a media hype or is there something someone wants to tell us?

angelsing...kindly come and talk here...counter this poster if he's wrong...
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:25am On Mar 16, 2015
francizy:
People are blinded by sentiments for not knowing that anything the Nigerian Biggest Landlord - NBL acquires, they, their families, their generations, etc cannot benefit from it. These people don't give a hoot about you else they wouldn't have mortgaged Lagos state into their private purse.

OP, the truth is that of all you've listed, people in my area have not benefited from this administration. But them sabi give us bill make we pay land use charge. We pay the land use charge yet we provide our own security, build our own roads, water own na worst (since 1999), no jobs by the state except for private own coys, LASU 1000% school fees increment, etc.

The government provided amenities to serve only a selected few. Most of what he built or commissioned were around the areas where it will benefit him, NBL, and the rich. Go to Apapa, Okoko, Mushin, Aguda, Satellite Town, Ajegunle, Orile, etc, then you will weep for Lagos state condition and the gullible supporters of this poor administration.

angelsing...come and prove francizy wrong...

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:28am On Mar 16, 2015
alexlee50:

angelsing...come and counter this post and support your brother sammyj with some propaganda...
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:29am On Mar 16, 2015
braine:
Yes he has. Come to my hood in Surulere to witness the massive infrastructures. You'll be amazed.

What are the massive infrastructures in surulere?

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by sammyj: 8:32am On Mar 16, 2015
............ cheesy grin
Whynotthetruth:

angelsing...come and counter this post and support your brother sammyj with some propaganda...
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:32am On Mar 16, 2015
sammyj:

Can you list those exceptional performances of fashola and names with proof of the Obas who Jonathan bribed
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Acekidc4(m): 8:35am On Mar 16, 2015
Why ask this Question!! Can't you see for yourself say the man try well well!!
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:36am On Mar 16, 2015
oduastates:
Yes he has.
Even beyond how he was expected
Let the former US ambassador to Nigeria do the talking.

Seth D. Kaplan, writing in the opinion pages of the January 7 New York Times, observes that by 2015, half the world’s population living on less than $1.25 a day will reside in fragile states. These poor contribute disproportionately to political instability, even terrorism. Nigeria is a fragile state, and the “worst run of the world’s most populated countries.”

Lagos, the commercial and cultural capital of the country, has a population of more than 17 million. By comparison, New York’s five boroughs numbered 8.337 million in 2012. Most Lagos residents are impoverished and large portions of the city are built in a swamp. Nevertheless, Kaplan suggests that Lagos may be a model for how fragile states might begin to succeed. Kaplan points out that in fragile countries such as Nigeria, central governments are often remote from their citizenry and politics is dominated by elites struggling for a larger piece of the pie. Not so, at least to the same extent, in urban agglomerations like Lagos where more localized elections take place.

[b]Kaplan’s strategy (shared by many) is devolution of power from the corrupt national government to state and local governments and the creation of a local culture that holds governments accountable. [/b]Devolved power (under Nigeria’s 1999 constitution) means that the Lagos electorate can and does demand specific services, thereby encouraging candidates to address practical problems. [/b]Numerous Nigerian interlocutors have told me that something approaching a civic contract is indeed emerging in Lagos: citizens pay taxes and the city government provides services. Over the past decade public transportation, garbage collection, and street cleaning have dramatically improved. The Lagos state government has also become friendlier to business.

I would also suggest that Lagos has been fortunate in its leadership. The current governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Fashola has vision, native political skills, and an eye for good management. So too did his predecessor, Bola Tinubu. So, one good governor succeeded another, though subsequently they have fallen out with each other. Kaplan also argues that in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural city like Lagos, politicians cannot afford to pit ethnic and religious groups against one another. Both Tinubu and Fashola have emphasized what unites Lagos, not what divides it. Finally Lagos has had a long tradition of opposition to whatever government is installed in Abuja. Among other consequences, Lagos has had to meet its costs of government largely through local taxation rather than through oil revenue doled out by the central government. But, the nagging question remains how much of the progress in Lagos is the result of the personalities and skills of the last two governors, rather than a fundamental transformation of its political culture.

Thanks for this post brother...Now, kindly state these achievements of fashola with a look at the revenue accruing to Lagos...remember to check the anti-corruption measures of fashola...

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:38am On Mar 16, 2015
Acekidc4:
Why ask this Question!! Can't you see for yourself say the man try well well!!

Try well well how and where plz?...let us see his revenue and anti-corruption stance too...
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by 9jatriot(m): 8:38am On Mar 16, 2015
alexlee50:

To be able to generate an IGR of 20billion from the 600million they met on ground is one of the achievement of APC in Lagos. Taking advantage of your resources to reduce your dependency on Oil. So the IGR was worked for and should not be used against them. Now divide that 20billion by the population in Lagos and do same for Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Enugu and tell me the per capital available per individual then we can have a basis for comparison.

2 Likes

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by angelsing(m): 8:42am On Mar 16, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

angelsing...come and prove francizy wrong...
The fact is most times I like to engage in things like this but my laziness will not make me type long epistle..I will try and respond in due time when I can type..For now I can only refer the poster to some thread on nairaland on fashola's achievement...I will try and respond in my own way
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:42am On Mar 16, 2015
sammyj:
............ cheesy grin

Bro, why do we prefer lies and propaganda in this country?
If APC and her allies have spent half the time they used in maligning Jonathan in good governance and looking inwards; lot of things would have changed...charity begins at home...APC should change themselves first...

1 Like

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Acekidc4(m): 8:44am On Mar 16, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Try well well how and where plz?...let us see his revenue and anti-corruption stance too...

Oga mi, no need to argue and pls don't be Biased in your rating of Him!!

The Guy has done a lot in Lagos!! You can see for yourself na!!!
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:48am On Mar 16, 2015
angelsing:
The fact is most times I like to engage in things like this but my laziness will not make me type long epistle..I will try and respond in due time when I can type..For now I can only refer the poster to some thread on nairaland on fashola's achievement...I will try and respond in my own way

Plz...forget any propaganda thread here...Most of the posters here reside in Lagos...so let's dig it out here and now...Ask francizy & co who built their own road and other amenities they are using while the media hypes fashola for doing nothing.. .
Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Whynotthetruth(m): 8:50am On Mar 16, 2015
Acekidc4:

Oga mi, no need to argue and pls don't be Biased in your rating of Him!!

The Guy has done a lot in Lagos!! You can see for yourself na!!!

When compared to Tinubu, fashola did better but when compared to the revenue of Lagos state...fashola did nothing but only steal and loot for himself and his Oga Tinubu...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Fashola Performed? by Kingspin(m): 8:53am On Mar 16, 2015
8years of waste. We expected him to utilize the huge revenue he receive and such a long stay in office to turn Lagos state to New York, like they want Jonathan to do. Today, majority are crying in Lagos. Operating a secret government and you barely hear or know what is really happening in the affairs of government general. To clown it all he stop the freedom of information bill, FOI, so that u look more and see very little. Dont forget the Tinubu cabals of this world huge present in Lagos and runing his own govt in Lagos now they want to extend their looting formula to the federal level aka national cake and share it among themselves while forgeting his real age, Nigeria will burn them soon. Fashola is the overated governor. He cannot transform Lagos to anything just politics as usual. I declare that Let those blind and dumb fellowers see again.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayose Impeachmemt:big Lesson For Ekiti State Judges / Why Are Majority Of Yoruba Politicians Always In Opposition? / Why Kill My Unarmed Brothers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.