Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria (85558 Views)

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry / 10 Reasons Why Lagos Is Better Than Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by cococandy(f): 5:21am On Mar 17, 2015
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by cococandy(f): 5:26am On Mar 17, 2015
oyb:

to add to that, cases of police brutality are followed to a conclusion; not like nigeria where there are two days of outrage on papers and then the case dies.

three years later, no one is in jail for the death of tge aluu 4. all tge serial killers refernced were caught and convicted.
Aluu4 still gives me nightmares until now.

No one is guaranteed justice
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 5:42am On Mar 17, 2015
Williamso:
I must say I envy your courage op. Inasmuch as Nigeria is not a bed of roses, life in general isn't.
But think critically as this is a very big leap of faith you are about to take; many Nigerians go abroad and despite facing all the factors you listed (and maybe worse in some cases), do not want to return. However, seeing that you already have a plan, I wish you the very best of luck.
Anyway follow your heart and have a successful African integration...

Fortune favours the brave

Thank you dear
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 5:43am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:
All great points.

But one thing that will shock you is how asleep many Africans are to how fortunate they are - so many of them think that it is an achievement to (permanently) emigrate to north America or Europe.

Everything you need to build a wonderful society is in Nigeria, if only the people had more regard for their own environment .

Wisdom keys
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 5:55am On Mar 17, 2015
eagleeyez:

You wanna move? No issue. No one can decide for you, you know what's best.
I frequent the states though don't stay for more than 3 months and all your resons are good especially racism which should have been number 1.

Answer these questions what do u intend to do when you get back? Do u have a job? Have u secured accomodation in a good place, have you gotten a good school for your daughter?
Am sure you must have crossed your t and dotted your I.
Your decision is good.the good thing is. U have a blue passport.now, take a trip back and go round and see what is lacking here . There are simple affordable and neccessary items that we might not have, you could go into business with a shop that stocks such and since you have access to unlimited visits to states , would be easy for you to always jet out and scout for more stuffs

If you intend to take a salary paying job, still be an entrepreneur
I would recommend that your child should not do her university here.its up to you.

Thank you for understanding
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:00am On Mar 17, 2015
ivoryhouse:

Thank you for this great contribution. Nigeria is full of mentally lazy young and even old people who think other people are the cause of their problems but on interacting with them for a few seconds you will see that their mental laxity is their biggest problem.
@op Nigeria is a beautiful place to live in with lots of friendly and supportive people. A visit will not be a bad idea. Someone said you should be careful with how you do cash transactions with people, I agree with him. We hope to see pictures of your visit as soon as you decide.

Thank you kindly
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:19am On Mar 17, 2015
mzchinny:
Nice thread. Good thing there's still africaness in you. Naija is your home and you're always welcome.

Thankyou my sister
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:21am On Mar 17, 2015
osazeet:
Haven gone through your write up, am proud you have re-Membered your true self, living in Nigeria is so good. You need adequate preparation to learn a particular language of the ethnic group you have decided to integrate into, get a business or educational business in mind to also contribute your quota to Africa society. Establish a school and grow your economic life through that avenue. If Europeans could come conquer our fore parents for slavery, then we can come add value to Africa to contribute to this great root. like i earlier said, Nigeria is cheap and sweet to live. There is high level of ignorance, Poverty of knowledge, many hungry in the midst of surplus resources, expecting government to clean their anus after every defecation.

Thankyou I am learning
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:23am On Mar 17, 2015
Tininitanana:
Hmmmmm, it veery hard to find reasonable women like you. I'm very happy with all you've written and they're fact and I also concur with you. If, really you meant that I wish you the best. I've never have reason to leave Naija except for holidays because we are blessed beyond man's thinking even though we have pending issues here and there but we are great people with huge potentials and many more. I wish I can teach you Hausa and Jju languages because am very good and from there. Good bless you ma'am and your daughter.

Thank you I appreciate that

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:29am On Mar 17, 2015
Jenams:
My dear dnt listen to words of discouragement. U hav taken d best decision in life! Come and dwell amongst ur equals. if u r hard workin n focused, u will live happily here in africa. I only plan to visit the US and other places around the world, not to live there. I love my africa.

Thank you , am not discouraged. you say it's the best decision of my life and that that's exactly what it feels like. Peace
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:32am On Mar 17, 2015
osazeet:
Sister please come back home, we already have white Caucasians coming from some parts of Europe to nationalize.
Do proper studies, be fully ready, it is a nice place to be. you shall succeed.
The Murray Bruce family are living Large here in Nigeria.
Disregard every negative vibe.
Sister you can.

Thankyou
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:36am On Mar 17, 2015
otiigba1:
you are very wellcomed, a lot of families wish to do the same,and some of them are still in denial, and as you asserted earlier on, a lot have no idea what Africa is like, i say follow your heart and Good luck

Following your heart is the only way to true freedom
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:43am On Mar 17, 2015
biafranqueen:
I am working hard to move back final as well. I usually spend up to 6 months at a time in Nigeria the other 6 in Southern California. Nigeria is a great country, I know several African Americans that live in Nigeria. One of my friends is a teacher at the international school in Abuja another started a chicken poultry farm in Ibadan. Another Caucasian that worked in my company in shipping and receiving, moved and even brought 2 of his friends this year to try it out. My Dear it will work for you, when you come to visit just start sewing your seeds. Good luck!

Thanks, it's always nice to hear a travelers experience. I too know repeats who have gone back home with no issues. I'm excited and happy with this decision to come back home!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:46am On Mar 17, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You need to get out more. There are several news reports covering the thousands of Africans, especially Nigerians, returning home from the west, and doing very well thank you.

This is so true!

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:56am On Mar 17, 2015
macof:
So far I've seen so many make senseless comments...

@Glamrock you are probably more black African than 75% of Africans.
I admire your courage

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:59am On Mar 17, 2015
sthugo:
Glamrock baby you hit the rock so fast over 22,000 views and counting in less than 16 hours,it shows how curious and wanting naijas wanna see or be americans.
America is the only country with the slogan
IN GOD WE TRUST

but my contribution to what glamrock wishes is go ahead dear its your life your wish,your desire,only you can really understand what you want.

As for those against her wish staying abroad never guarantee you the best things of life,dont assume or believe in the make believe those that came back for holidays...if you've never being there,you wouldn't understand.

One thing I love about naija is the rate of making money is in geometrical progression unlike in the rest of the world were it is arithmetic progression legally I mean.

If you are rich in naija you can actually make your home Behind as jand.

Dont mind them badbelle..we are the children of the sunlight.welcome home Glamrock

Thank you for understanding
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 7:06am On Mar 17, 2015
londoner:

No worries, sis. I know that call home all too well. There are quite a few who are thinking along the same lines, not all are even black either.

do you know what you would like to do in nigeria and where you want to live. Please consider a gradual exposure to africa, then a gradual relocation with both and entry and exit plan.

i have lots of future plans for the redressing of the slave trade.......there needs to be a bringing together, and healing/reconciliation process between africa and all her descendants.

there are some storis of people moving back nly to regret, but it is largely due to lack of planning. i would sy the vast majority of people i know or friends of friends that have gone back are doing tremendously well, but after they worked very hard.

nigeria has many opportunities that may not be open to you in the us. i'm going to get some info that may be of interest to you.

Thank you, I have researched and yes I have a well thought out plan, upgrading as I go. I'll be waiting for that info, I look forward to receiving it. Thanks
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 7:17am On Mar 17, 2015
londoner:
Why is the OP's decision causing so much negative reaction?

One man's meat is another man's poison. One man's hell is another man's heaven.

Believe it or not it's only fueling my curiosity more

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 7:19am On Mar 17, 2015
oyb:

i was thinking the op was running with some omo ministers and wanted to come to naija to set up a biz with them. rather it seems op is going for some hippie with the earth lifestyle , selling home made beads soap and whatnot.

anyway, as long as she dosent tear up her passport.

Lol
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 17, 2015
ahahaha
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
Glamrock:

Thank you , am not discouraged. you say it's the best decision of my life and that that's exactly what it feels like. Peace
thank you too. and when u do come to africa, make sure to pick the country with the largest economy in the continent, when u do dat, let me know.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 17, 2015
Rocktation:

grin
grin
As in finally, satan now has an addy...
hey princess let us make a deal n become partners in nairaland crime, wink
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by profGinger: 8:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
Relocate down to Abuja you won't regret it. Most of colleague relocated from USA and Canada respectively.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Originalsly: 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by delishpot: 7:09am On Mar 18, 2015
Billyonaire:
Its sad to know people are still so mentally poor and believe others are as wretched as you. My staircase is indoor though.

Throw in a lift and she will see the possibility.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by uzhi(m): 2:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
Why southafrica ? The crime rate in sa is higher than nigeria. My brother was shot at in southafrica and i was also rubbed in my hotel room at linden. Then what are u talking about ?
The election in nigeria didn't stop u from miggrating, just do ur home work and know that every society have its own shortcomings .

quote author=adepiero post=31638286]I guess you dreamt about Martin Luther King!
I hope with your writeup that people can see that even in america, slavery is extreme but the media covers it with lies. In case you wanna move to Africa, South Africa is the best place to blend in[/quote]

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Originalsly: 3:28am On Mar 19, 2015
jjman2322:
Hey lady, please read this fully before you make a mistake..

Can you guys please stop advising her to move here.... She needs to visit first for a month and see if she likes it..

I have some time and I can relate so let me explain both to you..

I moved to the USA when I was young (for grade school), and lived there for 16 years before moving back recently.. I know both sides very well..Im still in my late 20's. Note that im a USA citizen so it's not like I cant move back if I want to,

Nigeria is a GREAT country if you have some money to be very comfortable... I have constant electricity (with generators), have drivers, maids, cooks, and security, but even with all these I still miss the States..

PROS OF NIGERIA:

1. Better Food
2. Good Weather
3. Corruption works in your favour (Forget ever getting speeding tickets, getting points on your license, etc, N200 and you're free)
4. Laid Back
5. More business opportunities (if you have a solid PLAN)
6. Easier life (maids, cooks, etc)
7. Minimal racism. In Nigeria you are judged by how rich you are. If you have money nobody will ever discriminate against you.

THIS IS ABOUT IT..

now for the CONS OF NIGERIA

1. Its very hot and humid, but its a little better than the cold.
2. The love for money here is strong, (Most girls I meet just want money, unlike the states where you could be poor and still easily get girls)
3. Lack of constant electricity..
4. You need AC's all year round to be comfortable.
5. Its unsafe.. Everyday someone is getting robbed or kidnapped.
6. It's a little boring, and let me explain:

In the USA, if i got bored I could easily go skiing at a resort for a weekend, or hit up miami beach... I can also go to Vegas or head to Colorado for the nature. Of course you could also do a weekend in NYC or if you feel like being romantic you could hit up hawaii for a week.

Basically the USA has a lot more to do, due to the 50 states and the much better airline travel. In nigeria most people's idea of fun is (movie theater & clubs & malls). People smoke in clubs so I stopped going a lot. Our malls are also nothing to write home about. One of my friends was raving about the mall in Lagos so i did visit it last year. LOL.. I was like dude you need to come and see an actual mall abroad. The things they call malls here are comparable to "STRIP MALLS" in the states. Im sure you understand that.

7. The culture is conservative. If you have tattoos or wear certain stuff you will be judged by others as a "wayward" girl.

8. The poverty level here is insane, and it'll get to you eventually. There are thousands of people on the streets, blind, no legs, etc, just begging for money. It's sad.

9. The healthcare here isn't up to par. I recently had some problems and went to a big/nice hospital and they couldn't figure out what was wrong even after using their machines. I then visited a doctor in the states and in a few minutes they knew what was wrong.. You can't blame them though, how do you expect Nigeria hospitals to afford equipment that costs millions of dollars. There's a reason the rich seek treatment outside Nigeria.

Most Nigerians would not agree with me and would argue that Nigeria has some top hospitals, however ask anyone who has gotten a surgery or delivered a baby in the United States, and they would concur with me that there is no comparison.

10. No 911 to call.. Most people actually survive car accidents initially except in Nigeria there's no way for them to get to the hospital quickly. Besides hospitals here would require a payment before fully treating you and operating on you.

11. Level of dust/dirt, but this doesn't bother me too much.

This is all I can think of that really bothers me for now.. There's a lot more but those are minor issues.

So you may ask why I stay.

Well im here because I make a lot more money here than I could make in the states, plus i have help to do basic things. I can also visit the states whenever I want to. If it weren't for the money, I would not be here...

Thats why you are getting conflicting opinions. Nigeria is OK if you have a lot of money, and your money goes a longer way here. If you don't have good money then don't leave the states and come down here.. You will probably regret it.

My suggestion to you: Move to the west coast. Less racism, perfect weather, and laid back life style... Try that before moving here..

Very nice respone..... well laid out and on point!
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by londoner: 11:35pm On Mar 20, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

That is not true reflection of Nigeria, going to a place to read only positive things about Nigeria will not help her course.

nairaland mirrored the actual Nigeria she will experience by the time she visits.

@Glamrock great that you want to embark on this journey, you will learn a lot from the experience. People here have given you some raw materials...both the negative and positive ones are valuable because that is what you will experience when you finally get to Nigeria.

well, for some looking for a view of he many oportunities in nigeria the site i mentioned is helpful. many times people make it thie rpart time jobs o simply pull the image of nigeria down, an often use what they have found on other sites to make their points.

much of what people talking about here is not even typical to the place in nigeria the op is headed. many of what people are mentioning here is simply lagos life or the life in an average hustling nigerian city or town. the op is headed to calabar.....you know, the place tagged 'come and live and be at rest'.......... feeding overly negative stories about nigeria also does not help.

gra gra life of stress, pollution and area boys is also not a true reflection of calabar either, or is it........

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44am On Mar 21, 2015
londoner:

well, for some looking for a view of he many oportunities in nigeria the site i mentioned is helpful. many times people make it thie rpart time jobs o simply pull the image of nigeria down, an often use what they have found on other sites to make their points.

much of what people talking about here is not even typical to the place in nigeria the op is headed. many of what people are mentioning here is simply lagos life or the life in an average hustling nigerian city or town. the op is headed to calabar.....you know, the place tagged 'come and live and be at rest'.......... feeding overly negative stories about nigeria also does not help.

gra gra life of stress, pollution and area boys is also not a true reflection of calabar either, or is it........

unless i'm mistaken, calabar has a dangerous kidnap rate.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by otokx(m): 7:23am On Mar 21, 2015
profGinger:
Relocate down to Abuja you won't regret it. Most of colleague relocated from USA and Canada respectively.

You can't get the real feel of Nigeria in Abuja, try places where electricity is 2 hours daily like Port Harcourt or go to Lagos/Ibadan axis that has quite a large population.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by otokx(m): 7:27am On Mar 21, 2015
oyb:

unless i'm mistaken, calabar has a dangerous kidnap rate.

If you display wealth in the midst of poverty you become a target for kidnapping. Its every where in Nigeria, choice of friends/acquaintances is very important.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 21, 2015
otokx:

If you display wealth in the midst of poverty you become a target for kidnapping. Its every where in Nigeria, choice of friends/acquaintances is very important.

by extension, once i have a good job i should move to a gated estate.

displaying wealth, especially in a country like nigeria, is very subjective. something as simple ad having a late model car, or running your generator till three in the morning can mark you as ' wealthy'.

i agree partially on the friends/ acquanitances, but in nigeria, you never really know if your acquanintances are legit or undercover criminals.

i guarantee the op will display her wealth in a 1001 ways without knowing. smartphone, fitness tracker, hdtv, fresh clothes, american accent, in cities like lag, no big deal. in calabar, she may stand out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

The Amount Of Sand Removed From Gutter In Akwa Ibom / Lockdown: Beautiful Drone shots Of Lagos /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.