Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,172 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria (85576 Views)

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry / 10 Reasons Why Lagos Is Better Than Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Your statistics are very misleading. First, the op did not complain about death caused by racism in America, but rather about racism's pervasive impact on life across all levels of society and affecting every black person there. Also, most African nations do NOT have sectarian violence, so lumping all of Africa together there is dishonest.
With all respect, I know I lied about the ratio 1:20 death rate information but I'm pretty sure that its with that range and I also agree with the pervasiveness of racism but don't you think its more disgusting for people of very similar characteristics to hate on one another based on imported regions and tribes? If I'm not mistaking, the OP mentioned moving to Nigeria, and Nigeria has one of highest amounts of fatalities in sectarian violence in the world ( which are usually instigated by tribe and religion), this just nullifies the idea the the pervasiveness of racism as a bigger deal that what our people face in sub Saharan Africa with regards to secterian violence. Examples of countries currently having issues with this, Niger, Chad, Mali, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia,Congo, Central African republic, and at least 10 other countries I can't remember right now. Classism in Nigeria is worse that racism in America and also tribalism and xenophobia is worse than racism. And it's even crazy because a lot of low self esteemed African Americans in the States also have some degree of hate against we Africans which just shows you that its a part of the human instinct to hate and destroy. But anyways, the OP has no problems because with her american passport, if eventually she moves here and hates it, she can always jet out!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by swift1010: 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Glamrock:

. This is an outpouring of a soul searching for spiritual connection with Africa. Inspite of the challenges of everyday living here and the comfort, advanced technology in US some African American feel lost. Glamrock should be encouraged to relocate to Nigeria. Opportunities abound here for those can see them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
traware:
Sir,the USA is no heaven/paradise especially for the 'coloured people'.I'm very sure the OP can't mention all her negative experiences.Even our Nigerian brothers and sisters who live in the West face many challenges but they don't say anything.Don't you know what is happening in Ferguson?When they were giving the verdict on the policeman who shot Michael Brown,the Police preferred to guard white neighbourhoods from looters rather than protect black businesses.Isn't that discrimination?Have you ever experienced racial discrimination in your life?To be viewed as a criminal,drug dealer or intellectually inferior simply for the colour of your skin?Abeg,let me stop here

Yeah i have, and i know whats happening in Ferguson AND YES I HAVE BEEN TO HOUSTON FOR VACATION and it was the best 4 weeks ever!!! yes the USA isnt paradise but to even in a dream state to compare the USA to the gutter country is pure self deceit!!!!!!!!
if you cant afford good food dont go around saying drinking garri is the best!!!!!
Please spare us this bull shittt!!!!!!
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
Glamrock:

With me AK grin

1) the best you can legally own here is a shotgun.

2) while i do not subscribe to this, most schools of thought in nigeria recommend coperating with robbers as a successful resistance may lead to a follow up.

3) also, bear in mind that most robberies involve your friends, biz associates, family or someone you know personally.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 15, 2015
mrsirdam:

With all respect, I know I lied about the ratio 1:20 death rate information but I'm pretty sure that its with that range and I also agree with the pervasiveness of racism but don't you think its more disgusting for people of very similar characteristics to hate on one another based on imported regions and tribes? If I'm not mistaking, the OP mentioned moving to Nigeria, and Nigeria has one of highest amounts of fatalities in sectarian violence in the world ( which are usually instigated by tribe and religion), this just nullifies the idea the the pervasiveness of racism as a bigger deal that what our people face in sub Saharan Africa with regards to secterian violence. Examples of countries currently having issues with this, Niger, Chad, Mali, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia,Congo, Central African republic, and at least 10 other countries I can't remember right now. Classism in Nigeria is worse that racism in America and also tribalism and xenophobia is worse than racism. And it's even crazy because a lot of low self esteemed African Americans in the States also have some degree of hate against we Africans which just shows you that its a part of the human instinct to hate and destroy. But anyways, the OP has no problems because with her american passport, if eventually she moves here and hates it, she can always jet out!
Sectarian violence affects probably less than 1 in 1000 Africans! Even here in Nigeria there are 50,000 fatal car accidents a year, while the death toll from Boko Haram averages about 1,000 a year if that. Fact is you are very unlikely to be a victim of sectarian violence in Africa. But you are very likely to encounter/be affected by institutionalised racism in the US if you are black. It will affect to varying degrees the quality of schools your kids will attend, the quality of your employment, your living conditions, housing etc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 5:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
swift1010:
. This is an outpouring of a soul searching for spiritual connection with Africa. Inspite of the challenges of everyday living here and the comfort, advanced technology in US some African Americans feel lost. Glamrock should be encouraged to relocate to Nigeria. Opportunities abound here for those who can see them.

I am in no way influenced by negative comments from people who don't know anything about me and what I have to offer. They are ignored. Thank you for accepting me my friend

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
Nigeria
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by millionboi(m): 6:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Bros,wait a month aftr election
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by ttmacoy: 6:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
You are wise.

kobonaire:
A Nigerian goes to America and seeks Nigerian life, culture and values. Not only is that unrealistic it is also ignorant. You cannot go to any country and still expect to live your complete Nigerian life. This is basic common sense.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by macof(m): 6:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
So far I've seen so many make senseless comments...

@Glamrock you are probably more black African than 75% of Africans.
I admire your courage

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by 50calibre(m): 6:14pm On Mar 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You're talking absolute rubbish and I sincerely hope the op is not swayed by your display of crass ignorance and dishonesty. The GDP per capita of Nigeria is far higher than Somalia, Sierra Leone, Sudan etc...and that is just one falsehood exposed out of the many you posted. Telling lies to make the country look 100% bad will get you nowhere.

See!! This is why I said the OP should stay away from Nigeria... Retar*ds like you would frustrate the living day light out of her with their stupi*dity.

You're what they call a confident moro*n, you take pride in showing off your ignorance for all to see, much like your retar*ded president Jonathan.

GDP is not a determinant of development, it is only a measure of revenue generated by domestic economic activity. Speaking of GDP, China & Brazil are in the top 10 but they are no where near the likes of Norway or Switzerland (with much smaller GDPs) in terms of development.

Your GDP (which exists only on paper by the way) doesn't make you developed. Money doesn't make you developed, it's what you do with that money.

You want to know where Nigeria stands vis-a-vis development? Go check out the Global devèlopment index.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by isan(m): 6:17pm On Mar 15, 2015
Welcome to nigeria

Hope u are ready 4 d hustle life of lagos

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Debbielam(f): 6:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
prelinctus:
Ok, let me counter this...
1) Food - Unless you are ready to start eating expired or fake products. Heck, even alomo had to put hologram seal to prove authenticity. Nafdac in this country is dead on arrival.

2) Weather - Unless you are willing to allocate 30% of your everyday budget to bleaching cream. The sun is deadly.

3) Flouride - Trust me, it's better to have flouride in your water that the things we have here. When people like terry g are into water-making business, what do you expect? Refer to 1

4) Language - Unless you are planning on moving to the rural parts of the country.

5) Culture - Refer to (4)

6)Materialism - Nigerians are worse. Do you know how much they spend on weddings(asoebi e.t.c)? Let me stop here

7) Roots - Refer to (4)

cool Spirituality - Wait till you are being told to pay gate fee to enter church, nobody will tell you to run back. It's happening already. Christ embassy, anybody?

9) Development - Get ready to pay through you nose. A case in point is where Chevron wanted to develop somewhere along alpha beach. The people of the land had the nerve to tell chevron to pay them first for wanting to develop their land o.

10) Racism - Unless you are from the minority tribe, don't bother coming back. Ethnicism and tribalism among Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba is at it's peak, and can never be stopped unless this country is divided. You wouldn't want that, would you?

you really said all i wanted to say....plus i would never believe that racism case because...america is 50% black 50% white nd they have the lowest case of racism i can testify to that...even high people in their country are mixed blood of white nd black....as for food eat nd cook what will make u healthy.....even racism is worse here in africa/nigeria....u see someone look at u from head to toe as if u dont exist...there are millions of africans in America u can easily find nd learn the cultures......i wouldnt advice u to come home as u call it because home is where u feel comfort nd safety....where u feel loved and happy nd Nigeria especially is lacking in a few things....we all believe African countries will become greater one day but now is not the time...the country i would advise against is London or British countries......they are mad racist....nd silent killers....i can also testify to that....GOD bless Nigeria tho.. we gonna be gr8 one day with the right governance
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by ynkthomas: 6:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
Glamrock:

OP, you are not entirely right.

1. Is it only African Americans that eat the GMOs in the US? You know inorganic food is expensive. Where is the link to the suppose science study?

2. Weather- 9 months cold? Where can you get 9 months cold in the USA? Well, you are not entirely correct on this too. The North and Midwest have the most harshest of the weather. The South is more friendly weather wise. Florida, Hawaii, Texa, California etc.
3. Floride in water! 100% correct on this. But you can buy a pack of bottled water for $2.99 (24 bottles).

4. You can learn a language anywhere you are. It not compulsory to be in another country to learn their language. We have people in Nigeria that learnt French and other foreign languages right in Nigeria.
5 (6) Materialism is everywhere. It not an American problem. Check people that are addicted to technology all over the world. Nigeria, I know of 2go and facebook.
6. (9) Under development is the bane of Africa. Africa can be like the West and even better but for the kind of people in leadership. No strong institution and it is very difficult for Africans in diaspora to change the mentality of people in Africa. Clash of idealogies! Many will like to come back and contribute but when the consider the pros and cons, you will be better of in the West. I watched a Nigeria-American NASA scientist the other day on the TV and you want such to come back? No way!
10. Discrimination is worse in Africa. In Nigeria, Ibos don't like/trust the Yorubas, Hausa and Ibo have mistrust and so on. Even Among the same ethnic group, you have wars and killings erupting at the slightest misunderstanding, Ife v Modakeke, Amuleri v Aguileri and so on.

Last bullet, blacks have killed more blacks than the whites. Stay put wherever you are and come for tourism.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
isan:
Welcome to nigeria

Definitely cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by 50calibre(m): 6:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
Joavid:

Me?? angry am a very nice person but you are very rude and mean. Everyone on NL knows that.

That's not true!! I only reciprocate the vibe I receive. If someone is nice to me, I'm nice back & vice versa. You however, have not been nice to me, hence we are always at loggerheads.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by SIRTee15: 6:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
50calibre:

Your wilful denial of the realities won't change anything. Someone comes here to seek objective advice regarding a life-changing move she's about to make, and expect me to sugar coat the realities all in the name of sounding respectful or politically correct?

Why not tell that to the UN who ranks Nigeria as one of the poorest countries on earth? Yeah! Most countries are developing, the likes of China, Brazil, SA, etc Nigeria however, is not a developing country, it is an under-developed country, a third world among third worlds.

Nigeria's peers in terms of development are the likes of Sudan, Haiti, Somalia, Sierra Leone. Totally inhabitable for anyone who's lived their whole lives in a first world. It shouldn't even be contemplated.

Get ur facts right abeg.
UN regard Nigeria as a middle income economy and not underdeveloped.
Have u heard of the acronym MINT.
I agree we are not where we should be.......as per the likes of Malaysia, Indonesia, turkey, Philippines etc
But we are far above those aid dependent countries u mentioned.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
50calibre:

See!! This is why I said the OP should stay away from Nigeria... Retar*ds like you would frustrate the living day light out of her with their stupi*dity.

You're what they call a confident moro*n, you take pride in showing off your ignorance for all to see, much like your retar*ded president Jonathan.

GDP is not a determinant of development, it is only a measure of revenue generated by domestic economic activity. Speaking of GDP, China & Brazil are in the top 10 but they are no where near the likes of Norway or Switzerland (with much smaller GDPs) in terms of development.

Your GDP (which exists only on paper by the way) doesn't make you developed. Money doesn't make you developed, it's what you do with that money.

You want to know where Nigeria stands vis-a-vis development? Go check out the Global devèlopment index.
GDP per capita IS a measure of economic well being. You can go create your own private indices. And there is nothing called 'global development index'. You need to go and educate yourself.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by isan(m): 6:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
Glamrock:

Definitely cool
lol
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by manmustwac(m): 6:35pm On Mar 15, 2015
Debbielam:

you really said all i wanted to say....plus i would never believe that racism case because...america is 50% black 50% white nd they have the lowest case of racism i can testify to that...even high people in their country are mixed blood of white nd black....as for food eat nd cook what will make u healthy.....even racism is worse here in africa/nigeria....u see someone look at u from head to toe as if u dont exist...there are millions of africans in America u can easily find nd learn the cultures......i wouldnt advice u to come home as u call it because home is where u feel comfort nd safety....where u feel loved and happy nd Nigeria especially is lacking in a few things....we all believe African countries will become greater one day but now is not the time..[b]the country i would advise against is London or British countries......they are mad racist....nd silent killers....i can also testify to that....[/b]GOD bless Nigeria tho.. we gonna be gr8 one day with the right governance
Rubbish. I was born and bred in london and i can also testify that they are not mad racists here. Spain, Italy and Russia are much worse than England.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nelrulez(m): 6:39pm On Mar 15, 2015
Well, you try but come spend 2 months first make I come see wether you go still de patriotic.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Tnot(m): 6:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
GIYAZZ:
Kai! So you be Hausa guy?

Nice.

Mutuwa in hausa means ''DEATH''
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by 9jatatafo(m): 6:52pm On Mar 15, 2015
For your mind!!!! Well try and come to Nigeria and tell me your experience after 2 years of stay in the city of Lasgidi.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by sthugo: 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2015
Glamrock baby you hit the rock so fast over 22,000 views and counting in less than 16 hours,it shows how curious and wanting naijas wanna see or be americans.
America is the only country with the slogan
IN GOD WE TRUST

but my contribution to what glamrock wishes is go ahead dear its your life your wish,your desire,only you can really understand what you want.

As for those against her wish staying abroad never guarantee you the best things of life,dont assume or believe in the make believe those that came back for holidays...if you've never being there,you wouldn't understand.

One thing I love about naija is the rate of making money is in geometrical progression unlike in the rest of the world were it is arithmetic progression legally I mean.

If you are rich in naija you can actually make your home Behind as jand.

Dont mind them badbelle..we are the children of the sunlight.welcome home Glamrock

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by londoner: 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2015
@op while I applaud your decision I would suggest that the Africa you will meet in reality and the one you have imagined from far away are not the same.

Much of what you are rejecting is waiting for you in Africa. It is better that you actually acquant yourslf with Africa/Nigeria first or you may actually be disappointed

some Africans are no more nearer their culture than you are. Africans and Africa are not mythical people or places. They are human being just like you, many if not most with the same aspirations of the average westerner.They are also capable of discriminating, especially on tribal lines and to you, it will look the same as racism

materialsm and money worship is the name of the game currently for many.

Of course Africa and Ngeria can be very beautiful, but I worry you are setting yourself up for a fall with a few, not all, unrealistic expectations. don't get me wrong, I, like you am lookig towards moving back home in some capacity, but i also have been and know that many diasporan blacks, especially those stolen during slavery have a mirage about africa that simply does not exist as they imagine it.

Again i do support your decision but would like you to be more realistic

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 6:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
sthugo:
Glamrock baby you hit the rock so fast over 22,000 views and counting in less than 16 hours,it shows how curious and wanting naijas wanna see or be americans.
America is the only country with the slogan
IN GOD WE TRUST

but my contribution to what glamrock wishes is go ahead dear its your life your wish,your desire,only you can really understand what you want.

As for those against her wish staying abroad never guarantee you the best things of life,dont assume or believe in the make believe those that came back for holidays...if you've never being there,you wouldn't understand.

One thing I love about naija is the rate of making money is in geometrical progression unlike in the rest of the world were it is arithmetic progression legally I mean.

If you are rich in naija you can actually make your home Behind as jand.

Dont mind them badbelle..we are the children of the sunlight.welcome home Glamrock

THANK YOU KINDLY smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by 19naia(m): 7:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
Just be sure to make another elaborate post with all the details listed for why you will be running back to America... Nigeria is very polluted unless you want to live outside a city, and even then its a mix of microbe health risks and dangers of other sorts... Not easy to make a living and not as easy to be liberal minded there... Good luck..
It will still be worth it in terms of gaining hard experience, even if you go running back to america for your life, and thats if you even make it out alive...
Risk and dangers are every where, but some places come with more quality of life and ease of hardship..Trading one hardship for another without inowing the other hardship's extent.. Yes i lived in Nigeria and america, cities and small town settings.. You can just as easily experience a sense of discrimination in Nigeria just for being "Akata", but in many other places it will be a star status for you... Even the best ,safest and cleanest places in Nigeria are never far from very filthy ,dangerous and diseased places...
Enjoy your trip and it will at least be worth it in learning experience and i hope you are not going without a nest egg to carry you while you find a niche for making a living there... Even people with jobs sometimes have to go working full time for months and recieve zero pay/income -because of disfunctional system...

I would go to visit with income from america and not depend on Nigerias economy as my sole sustenance.. For stability sake... Never move all your eggs in one basket if you have the option of two or more baskets in two or more places. The most successful people and companies are internationally spread, earning and learning from beyond the scope of one particular nation..

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by londoner: 7:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
op, you may want to join a site called internations, you can get in touch with people who have moved to Nigeria and ease yourself in.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
traware:
You still don't 'get it'.She has given very good points and I agree with her.She has finally been 'de-matrixed'...a moment of clarity you might say.FACT:The USA belongs to no other race but the white race.I have said this over and over again,Africa is the only place on planet earth the Black man can truly be free

What is this one saying?undecided

what good points has she given?

The Us belongs to no race, don't be delusional.

The blacks are not free here even in Africa, we have a different form of discrimination.

most of the people here have a very backward mentality.

my point which you don't get is that no place is better!

be it Us, uk, nigeria etc

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 7:09pm On Mar 15, 2015
londoner:
op, you may want to join a site called internations, you can get in touch with people who have moved to Nigeria and ease yourself in.

Thankyou this is the type of feedback I'm looking for. I appreciate this help

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by londoner: 7:15pm On Mar 15, 2015
isan:
Welcome to nigeria

I would not advise her to go to Lagos to be honest.....not to begin her life in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Lockdown: Beautiful Drone shots Of Lagos /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / Dubai Tram: Why Don't We Have This Mode Of Public Transport In Nigeria? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.