Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,259 members, 7,829,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari (5507 Views)

Mastermind Of Planned Overthrow Of President Buhari Arrested By DSS (photos) / Military Scheming To Overthrow Buhari - Militants / I Didn’t Know Why I Came To Rule Now – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by arsetalks(m): 8:42am On Mar 16, 2015
Seun and his moderators should please verify further and if confirmed put this on the front page.

I understand Seun may be favourably disposed to PDP/GEJ but we shouldn't allow facts to be messed with and turn to lies.

Seun, do your part towards our nation building.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by KHAYGOLD(m): 8:46am On Mar 16, 2015
Some of my colleagues who witnessed it know its the truth...Shagari was overthrown, but not by buhari. Buhari was unanimously picked by group of senior officers which included Babangida, Abacha, Abdulsallam, David Mark, and other senior officers. Babangida later maradona him out of office based on babangida's corruption allegation from buhari.

3 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Iykopee(m): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2015
BronzeMan:
Those of us that are old enough to remember know that the story below is absolutely true.

Buhari was the General Officer Commanding 3rd Armoured Division in Jos during the coup. He was not involved in the planning nor the execution of the coup. After it was successful, those that carried it out were searching for a senior officer with the highest level on integrity in the Nigerian Armed Forces and Buhari was unanimously adopted.

The notion that he planned and overthrew Shagari is a lie. I don't necessary support his candidacy (and I don't think Tinubu is worth the soil he stands on) but can't stand this lie that has been repeated again and again.

Another thing to note. Shagari/Ekwueme were good men. But those who surrounded them (ministers and governors) with a few exceptions were rotten to the core. The government collectively had basically overseen deterioration of Nigeria's economy from 1979 to 1983.

At the time Buhari took over, our Debt to GDP ratio had exploded, the economy was in free fall, salaries were not being paid and corruption was taking off. The IMF and World Bank asked Buhari to devalue the Naira. He refused. He also instituted austerity measures which are painful but necessary (like bitter medicine).

I look back now and I am confident that if Buhari had not in turn been toppled by Babangida and Nigeria had just three more years of his administrations leadership, we would not be here today. Those four years would have been damned painful but at the end of it, Nigeria would have been set on a proper course. I believe this strongly.

I feel sorry for Buhari as it seems history is repeating itself. IF he is elected (and its still an IF), he will be facing similar macroeconomic problems as 1983 and will have to be the one to take tough decisions that he is not responsible for. Considering how short term minded populations are (not only Nigeria, but globally) by December 2015, Nigerians will be blaming him for the economy.

Just like they are blaming him now for overthrowing Shagari and causing the economic problems of 1983-onwards.

=======================================================

1984 Coup! Former president Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari speaks:
Buhari did not overthrow my
government, its was when those boys that overthrew our government were looking for someone with integrity, honesty and fairness to be the head of their government that was when Major Gen. Muhammadu Buhari's name came in, it was Gen D.Y Bali that mentioned
his name, and all of them agreed, Gen Tunde Idiagbon was asked to
announce his name when he "Buhari" was not even there, i thought he was in India for a course, Shagari explained that those who overthrew his government were, Major General Tunde Idiagbon, major general Ibrahim babangida, major, commodore Augustus Aikhomu, Nureni Yusuf, Brigadier General Sanni Abacha, DY Bali, Col Oladayo Popoola.
Shagari said to react to allegation
leveled against Buhari that he overthrew democracy and he want to be elected under the same democracy he truncated 32 years ago.

^^^^Muhammadu Buhari has denied his role in
the December 1983 coup however the
example of the late Major Bamidele
betrays Buhari's complicity in the
December 1983 coup. Nigerian military
historians Max Siollun and Nowa Omoigui
note that when Major Bamidele got wind
of the coup to oust Shagari, Bamidele
reported the issue up the chain of
command to his GOC 3rd Armored
Division (Major General Buhari) who was
allegedly in on the plot. To prevent
Bamidele from leaking the plot, Buhari
ordered the arrest and detention of
Bamidele for 2 weeks. Bamidele wasn't
released until the successful execution of
the coup. Learning from this unfortunate
experience, Bamidele didn't report any
rumors of the so-called Vatsa coup
(between 1985 and 1986) and was
executed for it.[21] Bamidele's words to
the Special Military Tribunal that tried and
convicted him are
'' I heard of the 1983 coup planning, told my GOC buhari who detained me for two weeks in Lagos. Instead of a pat on the back i recieved a stab.

Source, wikipedia.

^^^^ APC minions shud tell anoda lie. This one wont sell buhari's candidacy.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by henryangelo: 9:04am On Mar 16, 2015
Why is buhari now saying he had reasons to do what he did,that the government was corrupt or was he on drugs when he said it?
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Akshow: 9:18am On Mar 16, 2015
MusaIbrahim1:
Story for the birds... IBB did not overthrow Buharo too... Stupid old man that cannot protect his regime from IBB is now promising us security.... APC and lies, birds of the same feathers

PDP online fake Hausa users. Sai Buhari
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by olabodejinad: 9:24am On Mar 16, 2015
MusaIbrahim1:
Story for the birds... IBB did not overthrow Buharo too... Stupid old man that cannot protect his regime from IBB is now promising us security.... APC and lies, birds of the same feathers

By their words, u shall know them. Useless PDP

Sai buhari!!!!
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by igbeke: 9:26am On Mar 16, 2015
dunkem21:
We don hear.
APC is so filled with lies that if one is not careful, one will unconsciously begin to act under its hypnosis and propaganda.
To set myself free, I have chosen not to take any anti-GEJ news serious anymore.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by dre11(m): 9:28am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:
there is a great impovement now. We have been enjoying light in my area for days now. I know others can still say this. Stop all this propaganda. It's not working. grin

This is not propaganda..... This is the reality
Just like you jump ship to defend your oga about a call to the Morocco king which he never did.....

Just like you defend PEJ about her words to stone anyone that shout for change......

Are this propaganda tooundecided
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by vega84(m): 9:33am On Mar 16, 2015
Is true we knw all this tins. Bt buhari was in support of the coup that was y he agreed to head the government. #vegatalks#
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by clevvermind(m): 9:40am On Mar 16, 2015
KingTom:
Lies! We have not had light for a week, bo water too, ask anybody in Calabar. Though I don't blame GEJ sha, he is working! grin
Sai Buhari
March4Buhari
For Progressive Change!!
maybe the transformer in your area is bad. You know that there are lots of thugs in your area who could temper with it. grin vote the man wen e sabi. Vote Jonathan.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by KingTom(m): 9:43am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:
maybe the transformer in your area is bad. You know that there are lots of thugs in your area who could temper with it. grin vote the man wen e sabi. Vote Jonathan.
The transformer in Aso rock is bad grin
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 16, 2015
Akshow:

PDP online fake Hausa users. Sai Buhari

Another tribal bigot, you think its all Hausa that want Buhari? Cry me a river.. We now have Almajiri schools, for the first time in history...
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 16, 2015
olabodejinad:

By their words, u shall know them. Useless PDP

Sai buhari!!!!

Clueless... You need a direction or you may soon shed your weights too...
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by nazaalwayzz: 10:05am On Mar 16, 2015
promises made regarding power since I was a little girl and none delivered. please, get 24hr power supply affordably with quality solar inverters nu calling 08134622924 for as low as #120,000 (installation, batteries and panels included). empower yourselves now so that whoever wins the elections doesn't determine whether you will have power supply in your homes and offices for now. place your orders now.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by olabodejinad: 10:06am On Mar 16, 2015
MusaIbrahim1:

Clueless... You need a direction or you may soon shed your weights too...

Spoken like someone in the right direction. I just find it very disappointing when people support gej after 6 years of backwardness and impoverishment.

Some people like suffering sha
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Feraz(m): 10:08am On Mar 16, 2015
It that's the case, why did Buhari say he has no regret doing what he did?

Besides, Datolee has put the records on this straight about officers giving the position of the head of state to the man of integrity. I hope to find the link.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Here2BustnScrew: 10:19am On Mar 16, 2015
BronzeMan:
Those of us that are old enough to remember know that the story below is absolutely true.

Buhari was the General Officer Commanding 3rd Armoured Division in Jos during the coup. He was not involved in the planning nor the execution of the coup. After it was successful, those that carried it out were searching for a senior officer with the highest level on integrity in the Nigerian Armed Forces and Buhari was unanimously adopted.

The notion that he planned and overthrew Shagari is a lie. I don't necessary support his candidacy (and I don't think Tinubu is worth the soil he stands on) but can't stand this lie that has been repeated again and again.

Another thing to note. Shagari/Ekwueme were good men. But those who surrounded them (ministers and governors) with a few exceptions were rotten to the core. The government collectively had basically overseen deterioration of Nigeria's economy from 1979 to 1983.

At the time Buhari took over, our Debt to GDP ratio had exploded, the economy was in free fall, salaries were not being paid and corruption was taking off. The IMF and World Bank asked Buhari to devalue the Naira. He refused. He also instituted austerity measures which are painful but necessary (like bitter medicine).

I look back now and I am confident that if Buhari had not in turn been toppled by Babangida and Nigeria had just three more years of his administrations leadership, we would not be here today. Those four years would have been damned painful but at the end of it, Nigeria would have been set on a proper course. I believe this strongly.

I feel sorry for Buhari as it seems history is repeating itself. IF he is elected (and its still an IF), he will be facing similar macroeconomic problems as 1983 and will have to be the one to take tough decisions that he is not responsible for. Considering how short term minded populations are (not only Nigeria, but globally) by December 2015, Nigerians will be blaming him for the economy.

Just like they are blaming him now for overthrowing Shagari and causing the economic problems of 1983-onwards.

government, its was when those boys that overthrew our government were looking for someone with integrity, honesty and fairness to be the head of their government that was when Major Gen. Muhammadu Buhari's name came in, it was Gen D.Y Bali that mentioned
announce his name when he "Buhari" was not even there, i thought he was in India for a course, Shagari explained that those who overthrew his government were, Major General Tunde Idiagbon, major general Ibrahim babangida, major, commodore Augustus Aikhomu, Nureni Yusuf, Brigadier General Sanni Abacha, DY Bali, Col Oladayo Popoola.
leveled against Buhari that he overthrew democracy and he want to be elected under the same democracy he truncated 32 years ago.
if he didn't overthrow, he should have said no when he was asked to become the head of state if he is truly sincere and upright..
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Mrbigman1(m): 10:22am On Mar 16, 2015
BronzeMan:

When would people learn to allow buhari to speak for his self?

Buhari was on Al-jezera and he said he has no regret about the coup and some one here is saying something else in his defence.

Please get a job or
Get a life
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by M17: 10:27am On Mar 16, 2015
but what's the intention of the coup plotter's ,?

but what's the exact reason for hijacking democratic elected president ?

THE ...USLIM DOG AKA BOOHORROI PTF CHAIRMAN LOVE POWER, MONEY ,HONOR , ISLAM SHARIA ,DICTATING , IGBO HATER , MINORITY INTIMIDATION

BUHARI IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HIT 21ST CENTURY MODERN NIGERIA ECONOMY , YOU HAVE NOT SEEN HARD SHIP YET

DID YOU ? THIS MAN BUHARI IS OBVIOUSLY DELUSIONAL

AND HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT IS ANALOG OR DIGITAL PROCESSORS
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by oluspencer(m): 10:39am On Mar 16, 2015
Nctrice:

If Buhari was truly a man of integrity then he should have rejected the sweet fruit (Head of state) that came out of a bad process (Coup de tat)! A true man of Integrity would reject the Result of an undemocratic coup, but no Buhari grabbed the opportunity and started killing Nigerians anyhow!

There is no way Buhari would escape from the punishment he deserves for what he did to Nigerians in the 1980's.

Your heroes obasanjo and ibb are the coup plotters

If IBB can be denied another shot for the post of presidency, simply because he annulled June 12. Then GMB should suffer even a worst fate for truncating democracy through a coup!

Man of integrity my Ass!
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nctrice(m): 10:46am On Mar 16, 2015
[quote author=oluspencer post=31667050][/quote]hey! I never said IBB and or OBJ were any good! Hero my Ass!
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by ibietela2(m): 10:59am On Mar 16, 2015
KingTom:
Lies! We have not had light for a week, bo water too, ask anybody in Calabar. Though I don't blame GEJ sha, he is working! grin
Sai Buhari
March4Buhari
For Progressive Change!!

When Last did you pay light bill
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by KingTom(m): 11:08am On Mar 16, 2015
ibietela2:

When Last did you pay light bill
Three weeks ago
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Akshow: 11:14am On Mar 16, 2015
MusaIbrahim1:

Another tribal bigot, you think its all Hausa that want Buhari? Cry me a river.. We now have Almajiri schools, for the first time in history...

Dan kutuman gutsun durin uwarka. ans me back grin

1 Like

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by agurza(f): 11:14am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:
Don't be deceived. Vote Jonathan, vote transformation. Fresh air everywhere.
Fresh Air indeed. Sorry for next generation!
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Dreyl(m): 11:15am On Mar 16, 2015
temitemi1:
GEJ till 2019!!!
fvcking robot.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by tempest69: 11:16am On Mar 16, 2015
Nctrice:

If Buhari was truly a man of integrity then he should have rejected the sweet fruit (Head of state) that came out of a bad process (Coup de tat)! A true man of Integrity would reject the Result of an undemocratic coup, but no Buhari grabbed the opportunity and started killing Nigerians anyhow!

There is no way Buhari would escape from the punishment he deserves for what he did to Nigerians in the 1980's.

If IBB can be denied another shot for the post of presidency, simply because he annulled June 12. Then GMB should suffer even a worst fate for truncating democracy through a coup!

Man of integrity my Ass!
hey dummy, it was a call to serve. Ur Ass need pampers. Awuu
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nctrice(m): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2015
tempest69:
hey dummy, it was a call to serve. Ur Ass need pampers. Awuu
Hmmmm when kids come on Nairaland.com

So because it's a call to serve makes it legitimate to shove Aside his integrity? The very integrity that got him recommended at first!
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by BronzeMan: 11:35am On Mar 16, 2015
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by BronzeMan: 11:45am On Mar 16, 2015
Finally, someone had quoted Max Siollun earlier. If you are here ranting and raving, please research Max before continuing.

Here is what had to say about Buhari

FOR BETTER OR WORSE?

Ironically, the same people who prematurely rejoiced at Buhari and Idiagbon’s downfall are the same people who today recall their tenure with nostalgia. If Buhari and Idiagbon had been allowed to stay in office for as long as Babangida did, they would have changed Nigeria forever – for the better. As usual, Nigerians have only themselves to blame for creating the circumstances that led to their downfall.

Journalists who thought that better times lay ahead post-Buhari need only recall the murder of Dele Giwa to see how wrong they were. The prisoners who thought that life would be less harsh under Babangida and Abacha should recall the consistent harassment and death of Gani Fawehinmi and Moshood Abiola respectively. People complained about the draconian Decree 2 of 1984 – the State security (Detention of Persons) Decree which permitted the Federal Military Government to detain any person considered by the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters to be a security threat, for up to three months without charge or trial. Civil liberties organisations fumed and breathed a sigh of relief when Babangida took over, expecting Babangida to repeal Decree 2. Babangida not only retained it, but extended the detention period under Decree 2 to six months and used it to detain those civil liberties and pro-democracy movements that had welcomed his assent to power.

Those that felt that Buhari and Idiagbon were too “harsh” for imprisoning corrupt public officials, executing convicted drug dealers and armed robbers, should ask themselves whether they are proud of the fact that the average European cannot point out Nigeria’s location on a map, does not know its capital city, but “knows” that Nigeria is a country where corrupt people, drug dealers and other criminals come from. Those that criticised the WAI for attempting to militarise civilian society need to ask themselves whether they prefer the undisciplined, corruption infested society that is Nigeria today.

Nigeria missed a golden opportunity to change for the better.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures & Updates On Gen Okechukwu Buhari's Visit To Imo State Today / Nnamdi Kanu Releases Poem From Detention / Seaman Rice Mill located in Nnobi, Anambra State To Be Completed Soon (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.