Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,434 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari (5493 Views)

Mastermind Of Planned Overthrow Of President Buhari Arrested By DSS (photos) / Military Scheming To Overthrow Buhari - Militants / I Didn’t Know Why I Came To Rule Now – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by BronzeMan: 7:00am On Mar 16, 2015
Those of us that are old enough to remember know that the story below is absolutely true.

Buhari was the General Officer Commanding 3rd Armoured Division in Jos during the coup. He was not involved in the planning nor the execution of the coup. After it was successful, those that carried it out were searching for a senior officer with the highest level on integrity in the Nigerian Armed Forces and Buhari was unanimously adopted.

The notion that he planned and overthrew Shagari is a lie. I don't necessary support his candidacy (and I don't think Tinubu is worth the soil he stands on) but can't stand this lie that has been repeated again and again.

Another thing to note. Shagari/Ekwueme were good men. But those who surrounded them (ministers and governors) with a few exceptions were rotten to the core. The government collectively had basically overseen deterioration of Nigeria's economy from 1979 to 1983.

At the time Buhari took over, our Debt to GDP ratio had exploded, the economy was in free fall, salaries were not being paid and corruption was taking off. The IMF and World Bank asked Buhari to devalue the Naira. He refused. He also instituted austerity measures which are painful but necessary (like bitter medicine).

I look back now and I am confident that if Buhari had not in turn been toppled by Babangida and Nigeria had just three more years of his administrations leadership, we would not be here today. Those four years would have been damned painful but at the end of it, Nigeria would have been set on a proper course. I believe this strongly.

I feel sorry for Buhari as it seems history is repeating itself. IF he is elected (and its still an IF), he will be facing similar macroeconomic problems as 1983 and will have to be the one to take tough decisions that he is not responsible for. Considering how short term minded populations are (not only Nigeria, but globally) by December 2015, Nigerians will be blaming him for the economy.

Just like they are blaming him now for overthrowing Shagari and causing the economic problems of 1983-onwards.

=======================================================

1984 Coup! Former president Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari speaks:
Buhari did not overthrow my
government, its was when those boys that overthrew our government were looking for someone with integrity, honesty and fairness to be the head of their government that was when Major Gen. Muhammadu Buhari's name came in, it was Gen D.Y Bali that mentioned
his name, and all of them agreed, Gen Tunde Idiagbon was asked to
announce his name when he "Buhari" was not even there, i thought he was in India for a course, Shagari explained that those who overthrew his government were, Major General Tunde Idiagbon, major general Ibrahim babangida, major, commodore Augustus Aikhomu, Nureni Yusuf, Brigadier General Sanni Abacha, DY Bali, Col Oladayo Popoola.
Shagari said to react to allegation
leveled against Buhari that he overthrew democracy and he want to be elected under the same democracy he truncated 32 years ago.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by omenka(m): 7:02am On Mar 16, 2015
Op please where is your source??

1 Like

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by dunkem21(m): 7:03am On Mar 16, 2015
We don hear.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by prettyjo(f): 7:03am On Mar 16, 2015
OK naa
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by LagosBoi2(m): 7:04am On Mar 16, 2015
ok
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by temitemi1(m): 7:05am On Mar 16, 2015
GEJ till 2019!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by babs01(m): 7:06am On Mar 16, 2015
Nt Buhary but my dad

3 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by clevvermind(m): 7:10am On Mar 16, 2015
Don't be deceived. Vote Jonathan, vote transformation. Fresh air everywhere.

17 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by tit(f): 7:16am On Mar 16, 2015
APC = one day, one hot smelling lie!

8 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Bright4(m): 7:19am On Mar 16, 2015
Pls tell them more! Tho they will not blive it,coz dis s whre dey derived deir cheap point, and bet me, Buhari did dis n dt,will soon becom thins of past less dan 12days.
Either they like it or not, General is d MAN coms match28, bcoz, I have decided to march4change.

6 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Adindupeter: 7:25am On Mar 16, 2015
History can't be changed!!!!. You're welcome to try though

2 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by RockMaxi: 7:28am On Mar 16, 2015
@BronzeMan, the truth of this matter is that history have been distorted with the help of AIT and NTA all in the name of brown envelope. The Gloria Okon propaganda is also one of the many distorted facts just to gain political patronage.
The news and reports we hear everyday have been engineered to suit the political view of the ruling party.
My major fear is the distorted facts that will be passed on as history to the coming generation.

4 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by IanDiamonds: 7:30am On Mar 16, 2015
OP where's your source now?
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by GboyegaD(m): 7:30am On Mar 16, 2015
Many who do not have an idea of history will come to argue this.
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by hardywaltz(m): 7:32am On Mar 16, 2015
Most Nairalanders weren't even born so they may not know this hard fact.
After Shagari was overthrown on the nite of December 31st.
On1st January 1984, three different announcements were made over the radio (the 1st & 2nd) by Brig Gen. Sani Abacha and the 3rd announcement by Brig. Gen Tunde Idiagbo by 2pm still didn't mention the name of the Head of State.
After several disagreements amongst the coup plotters on who to head the government, Brig Gen. Bali suggested Maj. Gen Buhari and he was unanimously accepted subsequently Vasta instructed an airforce jet to go pick up the GOC of the 3rd Armoured Division Jos, the jet left Lagos by 4pm of that day and returned by 10pm.
It was by 11:30pm of the 1st of January 1984 that the voice of Maj. Gen Buhari was heard over the radio in a quickly written speech which he found difficult to read and cut it short to less than 2mins.

Be it known that there has neva been a tym in Nigeria's history that the name of the Head of State wasn't mentioned in the initial broadcast and the person to take over as HOS wasn't in the epi center of the coup (Lagos) save for the Jan. 1966 which bears same similarities as the 1983 coup.
Also note that initial coup plotters were mid level officers but the coup was hijacked by their GOCs

For those lazy ones that may soon start shouting source u can use Google or read it up here.
http://www.gamji.com/article8000/NEWS8043_archived.htm

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by datola: 7:33am On Mar 16, 2015
One thing you cannot take out from GMB is INTEGRITY. Integrity and hosnesty keep surfacing in all discussions about him.

Just wandering why some people don't want a man of so much honour to govern Nigeria. It is understandable if thieving politicians don't want him but what about ordinary Nigerians who are struggling to eke out a living especially those shouting GEJ on this forum.

Just like some people thought it right he was the only man with integrity to govern in 1983, so it is now when the likes of Tinubu see him as the man who can do it.

Those who are rejecting GMB because of only Tinubu are naïve considering there are hundreds of the so called Tinubu surrounding their failed leader.

GMB/PYO straight to Aso Rock by God's grace!

10 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by wordcat(m): 7:35am On Mar 16, 2015
March 28 is the date.

3 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 16, 2015
Story for the birds... IBB did not overthrow Buharo too... Stupid old man that cannot protect his regime from IBB is now promising us security.... APC and lies, birds of the same feathers

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by bewla(m): 7:44am On Mar 16, 2015
book.
Buhari only two people dont want U old thief and young fools

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:56am On Mar 16, 2015
Even if he overthrew him, I dnt care.

The truth is, he came, he did well.

I wish someone cld hijack this democracy again. Na wetin be the benefit sef?
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by dre11(m): 8:15am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:
Don't be deceived. Vote Jonathan, vote transformation. Fresh air everywhere.

The very transformation that made INEC be without light for more than 3daysundecided

4 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by nationwide1(m): 8:17am On Mar 16, 2015
He did not overthrow the government but gave reason for his action that the government was corrupt. Some people like op don't know how to write. Even Buhari said not long ago that he doesn't regret doing what he did.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nctrice(m): 8:18am On Mar 16, 2015

If Buhari was truly a man of integrity then he should have rejected the sweet fruit (Head of state) that came out of a bad process (Coup de tat)! A true man of Integrity would reject the Result of an undemocratic coup, but no Buhari grabbed the opportunity and started killing Nigerians anyhow!

There is no way Buhari would escape from the punishment he deserves for what he did to Nigerians in the 1980's.

If IBB can be denied another shot for the post of presidency, simply because he annulled June 12. Then GMB should suffer even a worst fate for truncating democracy through a coup!

Man of integrity my Ass!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 16, 2015
Story for the gods ooooo

1 Like

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 16, 2015
the next two weeks would be very interesting. even the Oscar Lying award winner, Lucifer, would commend our lying gallantry

3 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by vedaxcool(m): 8:24am On Mar 16, 2015
Another PDP myth busted, Buhari didn't plan any coup he simply was made Head of State after the coup plotters had achieved their aims!

1 Like

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by clevvermind(m): 8:31am On Mar 16, 2015
dre11:

The very transformation that made INEC to be without light for more than 3daysundecided
there is a great impovement now. We have been enjoying light in my area for days now. I know others can still say this. Stop all this propaganda. It's not working. grin
Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by puzzler: 8:33am On Mar 16, 2015
Gbam!!!stories of Integrity surrounds dis man.. yet some of us youths knowing fully well dat that's wat Nigeria needs now , yet choose to becloud ourselves with sentiments and cheap propagandas. .
I understand dat humans have egos. But search deep within u and tell urselfs d truth.march 28 is still 2weeks from now...its never too late..

3 Likes

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by KingTom(m): 8:34am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:
there is a great impovement now. We have been enjoying light in my area for days now. I know others can still say this. Stop all this propaganda. It's not working. grin
Lies! We have not had light for a week, bo water too, ask anybody in Calabar. Though I don't blame GEJ sha, he is working! grin
Sai Buhari
March4Buhari
For Progressive Change!!

1 Like

Re: The Lies Can Stop Now! "Buhari Did Not Overthrow My Government" - Shagari by LoveDecay(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2015
clevvermind:

ha ha , i believe there is information on this forum which says power generation has dipped.

We are enjoying light for days, and the OP who wrote this post, thank you for bringing this information to light but you have to understand pdp supporters are Wikipedia wanke'rs. They cant read deep enough to uncover the truth about issue's.

No matter how low ur IQ could be - how does one belief information PDP peddles about APC without double checking or info APC peddles about PDP without double checking. I believe FFK and barcanista are proof of half truths and people who make a living by, using water color to paint history.

We dont hear about buhari certificate - no more
buhari health - no more
buhari corruption - no more
buhari as boko haram - only been advertised by wikipedia wanke'rs

Am tired of typing ooh blah blah blah

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians React Over Buhari Signing A Document With His Name Wrongly Spelt / Enugu Guber: Leave Ugwuanyi Out Of Your Mischief - Coalition Warns Opposition Fi / Southeast Can't Survive Restructuring Plan... let us be sincere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.