Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,703 members, 7,809,674 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council (26071 Views)

Igbinedion Gifts Tiger To Oba Of Benin, Ewuare & It Roars At People (Video,Pics) / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by macof(m): 10:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:

You keep bringing up Europeans? Do you have a complex. Why are they your preferred point of reference?

Democracy is not unique to any one group of people - what do you have against the community being involved in a system of government? Do you also have issues with personal responsibility?

Of course not but then tell me what's ur problem against monarchy if not colonial mentality? - as I suspect
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by spectator2001: 10:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
macof:

Of course not but then tell me what's ur problem against monarchy if not colonial mentality? - as I suspect

This mmsen guy... are u a nigerian? where in Nigeria are u from? Let me take it up from there.

Please be constructive in your response, I ONLY asked questions, please.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by spectator2001: 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
Mmsen please answer the above questions, let me see if we can learn a thing or two tonight. One thing for sure, the fact that no man is an island of knowledge doesn't confer on us the rights to expose our unclothedness of ignorance at every given oportunity.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by mmsen: 10:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
macof:

I have an issue with monarchy because it is the antithesis of a meritocracy, empowering one figure with so much power usually leads to abuse.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by mmsen: 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2015
spectator2001:
Mmsen please answer the above questions, let me see if we can learn a thing or two tonight. One thing for sure, the fact that no man is an island of knowledge doesn't confer on us the rights to expose our unclothedness of ignorance at every given oportunity.

I don't put my personal business online.

Sorry.

We can discuss the issue at hand if you like.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Bonapart(m): 10:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
gulfer:
I tire for this people sha; one of the richest kings in the world (Saudi Arabia) died and there was no hanky panky', a prince was immediately installed as the next king. Or, could this be a cunning way of making sure the GEJ dollars are claimed for the 'indisposed king'
hahahahaha.... i no know ooo
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by spectator2001: 10:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:

I don't put my personal business online.

Sorry.

We can debate the issue at hand if you like.

Ok, Fine.
Do u know the Sultan of Sokoto?
He is a Muslim ruler and by virtue of his Ancestral Heritage- the Head of all Muslims in Nigeria. The position of a monarch in the pre-colonial era wielded higher influence and authority which has diminished over time in the post-Colonial era.

The absolute power over life and death once at the dispose of these monarchs ain't existing anymore but the TRADITIONS of the PEOPLE Must be held in TRUST by a CUSTODIAN, the CUSTODIANS of these traditions are the Traditional Rulers, the functions they perform can NEVER be performed by any GOVERNMENT DEMOCRATICALLY Elected official, be it the President, the Governor or Local Government Chairmen of their Jurisdictions.

Even OBJ for all his presidential powers remained a core traditional title holder in his Owu Egba domain as a BALOGUN. Maitama Sule, one of the few living men of the pre-Colonial Nigeria is still a high ranking traditional title holder in the City of Kano till date.

We may forgo some things in Life, not the very basis of our own cultural heritage, our customs and Tradition bequeathed us by our forebears! The relinquishing of our customs and tradition owing to "Change" in times doesn't only smirk of irresponsibility but also an indication of total willingness to lose our core values to foster an existence of people without roots and Culture.

Have u ever asked yourself why the Brits are yet to do away with their monarchy? It is simply because, it is their common source of pride wherever they go. In United Kingdom, people complain so much about Prince Charles as being a leech, who does nothing only to be feeding on tax payers money. Same goes for Andrew who receives regular press bashings for his incessant charter of private jets with Tax payers money and the rest of the Royals over there receives same insults on a daily basis by the "anti-monarchy elements but ask them in United Kingdom. "ARE THEY READY TO ABOLISH THE MONARCHY" The answer U'd get is a resounding NO!

Let's hold dear that which we still have left of our cultural heritage, The Oba, King Erediauwa is a core figure in the History of Nigeria as a Custodian of the great Benin Empire which once held sway in this present day Nigeria and extends far as to some West African Nations in its prime.

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by mmsen: 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
spectator2001:

Ok, Fine.
He is a Muslim ruler and by virtue of his Ancestral Heritage- the Head of all Muslims in Nigeria. The position of a monarch in the pre-colonial era wielded higher influence and authority which has diminished over time in the post-Colonial era.

The absolute power over life and death once at the dispose of these monarchs ain't existing anymore but the TRADITIONS of the PEOPLE Must be held in TRUST by a CUSTODIAN, the CUSTODIANS of these traditions are the Traditional Rulers, the functions they perform can NEVER be performed by any GOVERNMENT DEMOCRATICALLY Elected official, be it the President, the Governor or Local Government Chairmen of their Jurisdictions.

Even OBJ for all his presidential powers remained a core traditional title holder in his Owu Egba domain as a BALOGUN. Maitama Sule, one of the few living men of the pre-Colonial Nigeria is still a high ranking traditional title holder in the City of Kano till date.

We may forgo some things in Life, not the very basis of our own cultural heritage, our customs and Tradition bequeathed us by our forebears! The relinquishing of our customs and tradition owing to "Change" in times doesn't only smirk of irresponsibility but also an indication of total willingness to lose our core values to foster an existence of people without roots and Culture.

Have u ever asked yourself why the Brits are yet to do away with their monarchy? It is simply because, it is their common source of pride wherever they go. In United Kingdom, people complain so much about Prince Charles as being a leech, who does nothing only to be feeding on tax payers money. Same goes for Andrew who receives regular press bashings for his incessant charter of private jets with Tax payers money and the rest of the Royals over there receives same insults on a daily basis by the "anti-monarchy elements but ask them in United Kingdom. "ARE THEY READY TO ABOLISH THE MONARCHY" The answer U'd get is a resounding NO!

Let's hold dear that which we still have left of our cultural heritage, The Oba, King Erediauwa is a core figure in the History of Nigeria as a Custodian of the great Benin Empire which once held sway in this present day Nigeria and extends far as to some West African Nations in its prime.

Monarchy exists for the benefit of the monarchy not the people.

Monarch and religion combine to break the people and hold them in a position of subservience and fear.

What has the Sultan of Sokoto done to aid the development of his people?

Why is it that his children attend the best schools (including his daughters) whilst the majority of children in his region (especially the girls) don't get that opportunity?

Just because something is 'cultural' does not mean that a people should hang onto it for dear life - it may once have been the culture to physically dominate your wife, that does not make it wise to do so; it was not the culture to send girls to school in most parts of the world; it may have been the culture for girls to be married before they were 20 years old but such a practice would be foolish in the 21st century.

The reason why Nigeria has a problem with fistula in some parts of the country is because of 'culture'.

The reason why Nigeria has a problem with illiteracy in some parts of the country is because of 'culture'.

Boko Haram have manipulated this attachment to 'culture' for their own nefarious benefits.

Culture, like religion, is often an excuse not to think - remembering your roots is important but continuing a practice simply because (you think that) it has been in place for a long time is foolish.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Solowande(m): 11:05pm On Mar 16, 2015
Get well soon HRH
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Caucasoid: 11:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:

Monarchy exists for the benefit of the monarchy not the people.

Monarch and religion combine to break the people and hold them in a position of subservience and fear.

What has the Sultan of Sokoto done to aid the development of his people?

Why is it that his children attend the best schools (including his daughters) whilst the majority of children in his region (especially the girls) don't get that opportunity?

Just because something is 'cultural' does not mean that a people should hang onto it for dear life - it may once have been the culture to physically dominate your wife, that does not make it wise to do so; it was not the culture to send girls to school in most parts of the world; it may have been the culture for girls to be married before they were 20 years old but such a practice would be foolish in the 21st century.

The reason why Nigeria has a problem with fistula in some parts of the country is because of 'culture'.

The reason why Nigeria has a problem with illiteracy in some parts of the country is because of 'culture'.

Boko Haram have manipulated this attachment to 'culture' for their own nefarious benefits.

Culture, like religion, is often an excuse not to think - remembering your roots is important but continuing a practice simply because (you think that) it has been in place for a long time is foolish.

It is quite foolish to say Culture is like Religion. Don't make such intellectually defective inference again. Same way they'd tell you, your fathers once lived on trees in Africa and you won't have any logical counter response to such stupid quote by a westerner just cause you don't have basic knowledge of your own history.

"Culture is an excuse not to think" you've just spewed garbage mahn! Our Culture has undergone extensive modernization to suit the changes in time, hence the "culture is an excuse not to think" trash you just said could only be applicable to your own "people" who got no heritage whatsoever! If culture has stopped your own people from thinking, it hasn't stopped the Bini people from thinking. The Bini people are wise enough to hold their Oba in High Esteem as the Preserver and Custodian of the Great Benin Culture and Tradition. Same way some nuisanc.e would come here to say "what the heck is traditional marriage" their Foo.lishness precedes them! #NuffSaid. Now run along and scroll past this response. Your level of reasoning is comparable to that of an effigy. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by angiemartinez(f): 11:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
The oba joined his ancestors some months ago, oba gha tor kpere, Ise.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by mmsen: 11:31pm On Mar 16, 2015
Caucasoid:

It is quite foolish to say Culture is like Religion. Don't make such intellectually defective inference again. Same way they'd tell you, your fathers once lived on trees in Africa and you won't have any logical counter response to such stupid quote by a westerner just cause you don't have basic knowledge of your own history.

"Culture is an excuse not to think" you've just spewed garbage mahn! Our Culture has undergone extensive modernization to suit the changes in time, hence the "culture is an excuse not to think" trash you just said could only be applicable to your own "people" who got no heritage whatsoever! If culture has stopped your own people from thinking, it hasn't stopped the Bini people from thinking. The Bini people are wise enough to hold their Oba in High Esteem as the Preserver and Custodian of the Great Benin Culture and Tradition. Same way some nuisanc.e would come here to say "what the heck is traditional marriage" their Foo.lishness precedes them! #NuffSaid. Now run along and scroll past this response. Your level of reasoning is comparable to that of an effigy. Thanks.

You misread - 'often an excuse'.

Thank you for your calculated and rational response.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Caucasoid: 11:33pm On Mar 16, 2015
spectator2001:

Ok, Fine.

Wow! What an excellent write up!
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by jaydude(f): 11:39pm On Mar 16, 2015
gulfer:
I tire for this people sha; one of the richest kings in the world (Saudi Arabia) died and there was no hanky panky', a prince was immediately installed as the next king. Or, could this be a cunning way of making sure the GEJ dollars are claimed for the 'indisposed king'

Note that Saudi Arabia is not Benin City, they have their culture there, as well as d binis have theirs, and what do you mean by GEJ dollars? Do you think the oba of Benin isn't rich?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by chrisixis(m): 11:44pm On Mar 16, 2015
Tradition most b followed no body should blame d chief we d binis get our own culture tins most b done rightly pls my pple make una commot mouth for d matter pls all protocols most b followed
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Benin People una don hear they said one of your king is indisposable make una no dispose the poor man he is not dustbin.
there is Only one king in Benin Kingdom...
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by hotice01: 1:27am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

It didn't work for them but democracy is a process - monarchy is a dead end that is why it is backwards.

Why are you so hung up on what the Europeans are doing anyhow?

Do you honestly believe that a monarchy is the best system of government?

U have no idea how much people from Edo state value and cherish their culture,heritage and tradition of which the Oba is the main symbol. Even the President cannot undermine the Oba of Benin.He is the most respected traditional ruler in the South south.He never leaves his palace to visit anyone,but all flock to him.
This is Africa,we cherish our heritage,customs and traditions like other countries in other parts of the world,e.g China,India,Japan,etc.
Even Great Britain still recognise the Queen and give full respect despite their Democratic government.
Yes some things about tradition might be bad but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its beauty and treasures in it.
PROUDLY FROM UROMI,EDO STATE!

5 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 2:55am On Mar 17, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Benin People una don hear they said one of your king is indisposable make una no dispose the poor man he is not dustbin.

How old are you boy? The oba is not one of our king, he is the Oba in Benin Kingdom and none elsewhere in Edo State.

And you really talk about royalty this way? I wonder how you would have talked about God himself behind his back.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:11am On Mar 17, 2015
topcube:
I tire oh! Oba is dead, say it; Oba is dead, which 1 is he his indispose? I'm a yoruba & I reside in Benin, I've read it here on nairaland about a month ago that Oba is dead & I asked my Benin friend, he denied hearing something like that & warned me of sharing it with my family & friends. Meanwhile, the land (more than 100 acres) @ Edaiken in Uselu that has being kept as momument is now being open up, cleared & fenced round, indicating another authority(may be 1 of the prince) is giving the directives/instruction. That alone is a clear indication that Oba of Benin as joined his ancenstors. So, WTF!

How about you talk about what really concerns you? I'm sure you have an oba or a traditional ruler from where u came from. And you think it wise to disrespect royalty or another man's tradition, that you know nothing of. Even God's prophet in the bible respected Kings because God himself identifies them as Kings on earth.

Little wonder why sectarian violence occurs. You find home in another man's territory and you go ahead and insult his people's tradition. Well done

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:14am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:
Is there a reason why traditional rulers still have a place in Nigerian society?

Does anyone heed their counsel?

Do they have any influence?

Is there a reason why we still have pastors and imams in Nigeria? Afterall you have a bible or a quran.

Is there a reason why England still has queen Elizabeth? Is there a reason why Jesus is still Lord? Afterall not everyone does what he has commanded
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:16am On Mar 17, 2015
phayvoursky:

ME BEEN FROM EDO STATE CAN CATEGORICALLY TELL YOU THAT THE OBA IS DEAD. THEY ONLY CAME OUT TO SAY THIS NOW CAUSE HE HAS BEEN BURIED.

And you know this as the Iyase or esogban of Benin Kingdom?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:19am On Mar 17, 2015
Bonapart:
thank you. But not welcome in my bible. Two master at the same time is never welcome.
Thank you again

What is this one saying?

King David was a pagan? An oba or a king becomes an idol worshipper 2u?

Wow, you must be the most righteous.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:24am On Mar 17, 2015
Bonapart:
nothing like white man's way here. Burying a man with human head is kul with you right?
*Modified* I spit on ur tradition

Bro, how about you give it a rest.

If you have seen where heads where collected to bury any Oba. Please make a video and you're a rich man.

If you haven't, how about you respect people's tradition and Keep numb.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:29am On Mar 17, 2015
DuchessLily:

lol.... Yes oo. There is a 1st time for any event

Since d guy is dead and they said he is indisposed

The guy? And how would you be sure of that? You the Oba's wife?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:30am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

Do they have any practical purpose?

Does your street head have any practical purpose?

Did King David in the bible serve any importance?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:35am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

It sounds as though he runs a parallel government - why is he 'settling disputes'? Are there no courts in Benin?

Monarchy has no place in a meritocracy or a fledgling democracy.

Two systems in one country is a recipe for chaos.

When we read some comments, we should soh and ignore em.

Comments like yours, mister
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:39am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

It didn't work for them but democracy is a process - monarchy is a dead end that is why it is backwards.

Why are you so hung up on what the Europeans are doing anyhow?

Do you honestly believe that a monarchy is the best system of government?

Maybe you should ask the king in UAE, Bahrain and Jordan. They practice absolute monarchy there.

Norway have kings. France has princes, Spain has Kings or King, South Africa has them.

Is Nigeria better than any of these countries I have mentioned?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:43am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

You keep bringing up Europeans? Do you have a complex. Why are they your preferred point of reference?

Democracy is not unique to any one group of people - what do you have against the community being involved in a system of government? Do you also have issues with personal responsibility?

Why are you talking about democracy and also writing in English? Did u invent those?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by Etinosajay(m): 3:47am On Mar 17, 2015
mmsen:

I have an issue with monarchy because it is the antithesis of a meritocracy, empowering one figure with so much power usually leads to abuse.

Does a class prefect not abuse his power? Does a revenue collector not abuse his privilege? Do NL posters not abuse their privileges?
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by DuchessLily(f): 6:18am On Mar 17, 2015
Etinosajay:

The guy? And how would you be sure of that? You the Oba's wife?

Na today? tongue
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by ekhai(m): 7:45am On Mar 17, 2015
osigiepurr:
Guy, dont ever say what u dont know. The fact dat u stay in Benin does not make u know d culture of the Binis. That is how how most Nairalanders say rubbish and comment nonsense on any post they see. Must u comment? angry shocked
Nigerian mentality na wa o.......................wishing others badluck is not palatable. If Goodluck Jonathan is sick, people will misinterprete the whole show and start typing RIP to dead.......................if GMB is out of d country for official matters, people will tag it to medical check-up and other unnecessary issues.......it seems we have too many jobless kids on Nairaland these days. People tends to cast aspersions on each other's personality and abuse of culture, tribes or religion without conscience>>>>>>>so many haters for no just cause on Nairaland>>>>>>>its so pathetic

You have said it all. So many jobless youth on Nairaland. Govt should do something about unemployment.
Re: Oba Of Benin Indisposed -traditional Council by kodlins(f): 8:23am On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

I doubt that....it must be a modern temple
So I heard. Had to make some enquiries sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Igbo Idioms (Ilu) / London Notting Hill Carnival (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.