Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC (54857 Views)

See What Boko Haram Did To Cattle After Poisoning Water Sources In Borno..photos / See What Boko Haram Did To This Man In Sambisa For Stealing Food (photo) / PHOTO: See What Boko Haram Has Turned Nigeria To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by myproperty(m): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
The Nigerian military took us to towns taken back from Boko Haram in the north-east.
Some are almost impossible to reach by road because the insurgents have blown up bridges.
From one town to another, Boko Haram fighters have left their imprint of destruction - the charred remains of market places, homes, government buildings and farms.
Signboards have been painted over in black and replaced with Boko Haram insignia and inscriptions in Arabic.

"Thank you! Thank you!" a group of women chant as they praise the soldiers who reclaimed their town, Doron Baga, from Boko Haram.
They are the few people we found in the area. Most others fled after possibly the worst insurgent attack yet in the region.
It has been suggested that during the January attack, Boko Haram killed hundreds, possibly more - and then set fire to dozens of buildings.
'Those bastards kill men'

Now the town is deserted. At the main market area, blackened-out shells have replaced what would have been busy shops.
Mangled motorcycles litter the streets, their tyres blown out. Decomposing bodies lie by the roadside and fill the air with the stench of death.
A group of women take shade under a tree away from the scorching heat. "Boko Haram fighters killed my sister," one tells me.
"We attempted to leave three times for Maiduguri but the militants threatened to shoot us. They hardly fed us and we were very hungry. But when the soldiers liberated us, they gave us some food."

Despite the successes of the military, many of the reclaimed towns are empty. Only small groups of women, children and the elderly can be found.
Abubakar Ali is one of the few young men around. He had a fractured leg and could not run away when insurgents attacked Monguno town.
"My grandmother hid me under the bed," he says. "They don't touch women, especially old women, but those bastards kill men. They came searching but they didn't find any man in the house so they left."

Even Mubi town, a major commercial centre in Adamawa State, is largely deserted, except for the troops on patrol.
"I would plead with the people of Mubi," says the town's traditional Muslim leader, Emir Abubakar Ahmadu. "Come back home so that we develop Mubi more than ever before."

With widespread destruction, the region is in need of massive rehabilitation - far more than what the residents can do on their own if they return.
There are murmurings within the military that soldiers have been left to do the work other government agencies should be taking on.
There is also the question of whether the people should return to restore a semblance of normality or whether they should remain displaced until the military completes its operations.

There are regular reports of troops getting killed or maimed by mines planted by the insurgents.
Boko Haram fighters are known to surround their locations with hidden bombs. Some soldiers showed me a stretch of about 20m (60ft) where they say they detected 29 improvised explosive devices.
The army says such dirty tactics complicate the fight. This has not dampened the spirits of the troops.

They have recorded major successes recently, reclaiming many of the towns taken by the militants. This has elicited as much praise as it has criticism over why it took so long to act.
The military's gains were achieved in just a few weeks, while Boko Haram has been tormenting the region for the past six years.
The successes also came when Chad, Niger and Cameroon joined in the fight against the Islamist insurgents.
The subsequent plaudits these neighbours received proved embarrassing for Nigeria, the outshined regional powerhouse.

Nigeria's military spokesman, Maj Gen Chris Olukolade, denied reports of tension between members of the anti-Boko Haram coalition.
"Many of the opinions out there that seem not to be complimentary about participating colleagues are definitely not the positions of the countries," he said.
"They are positions of individual officials. We don't expect it to affect the co-ordination within the force."

At the Multinational Joint Task Force base in Baga near Lake Chad, only Nigerian troops are present.
They seem motivated, regardless of the problems at the diplomatic level. The soldiers promise not to let Nigeria lose its territory under their watch.

With new supplies of equipment, as well as fresh combat strategies from their superiors, morale is high on the frontline.

Source : http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31902549

Pics: 1 The main market in Baga is now empty and scarred by fire

2 A view of Mubi from above reveals a town without residents

3 Signs - such as this one in the town of Michika - were painted over by Boko Haram fighters

4 The militants left behind a makeshift camp in Buni Yadi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by xreal: 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
God will surely judge.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Melahou(m): 4:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
lets see how it goes
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by 0nyegame(m): 4:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
the sponsor of dis devilish sect and the sect itself(Boko Haram) shall never know peace in thousands of generations to come.meanwhile,GEJ till........2019.

101 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by dave2meek(m): 5:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
Gradually Bokoharam is coming to an end...

GEJ we know!!!

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by ichidodo: 5:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
[b] We wonder how these events would have unfolded if GEJ hadn't stretched the front by inviting Niger and especially Chad into a coalition early February?? From the invasion of Baga, Gambaru to Malam fatori by Chad in the north to the battle space operations by our boys in Marte,Konduga and the defence of Maiduguri-very stupid move by BH to waste precious personnel and resources in that battle aspect,if you ask us- in the south let us not forget Cameroon beefing security at Fotokol in the east plus the Operations of Niger gendarmes in Diffa region in the west...all these culminating into one massive defeat after another for BH, each defeat leaving the group horribly understaffed and armed thus we see a situation whereby they have to throw or gamble more precious assets into helpless firefight situations to cover their losses and eventually climaxing into another defeat (this vicious cycle goes on and on)....tis no wonder the group has been in disarray and is been swept up from all sides.We have said it before and we will say it again that no rag tag gorilla force how much less an islamist type have ever fought off successfully and defeated simultaneously two soveriegn armies on two fronts since the history of modern mankind.....Military strategists in DHQ must be congratulated for this new battle field philosophy but all credits must go to Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and our boys on ground for turning that philosophy into reality, damning the opposition critics and their nonsense....[/b]

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Labayi96(m): 5:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
And somebody just said thier grieviance is legitimate may GOD judge dem

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by iceberylin(m): 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Na so person go leave their children lives scatterd angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by holatin(m): 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
so pathetic

this wount have happened if we ve a president in this last 5 yrs.

but Thank God we are wining the way against insurgence and we will win against incompetence too on march 28.

Nigeria will be great
Nigeria will survive

Sai buhari

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by tiamiyukunle69(m): 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Too bad.....better days ahead.
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by LewisO: 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
[size=14pt]The thunder ⚡ that will fire these Boko-harrams is newly made. [/size]

8 Likes

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by emalek86(m): 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
They gave us fire!! We give them DEATH!! We are Nigerians we triumph in every obstacle, #NEVERSAYNEVER#

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by lanre316: 5:24pm On Mar 17, 2015
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 17, 2015
That's their ultimate end too

Who will believe Baga hosts one of the biggest fish market in West Africa! All that in ruins because of senseless extremist of hell.
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by koboko69: 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
THIS REMAINS MY STAND. FOOLS WILL QUOTE ME AND CALL ME A BH THIS AND THAT. BUT THIS REMAINS THE PURE TRUTH

What were the Generals doing wrong for the past 5 years that they suddenly started getting right few weeks to elections?

The time table for elections have been slated long before now, dont you find it funny that, in a last minute effort to shift the elections, the military suddenly chose the date for slated for elections as the day "A FINAL ONSLAGHT AGAINST BOKOHARAM WILL COMMENCE". It is quite interesting that a battle that have been going on for over 5 years is now being won in 6weeks.

This are our presidents words about BH in the past

Boko Haram has infiltrated my government, says Jonathan
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/3360-boko-haram-has-infiltrated-my-government-says-jonathan.html
Till date, no arrest made!!!

They((Boko Haram) are our siblings and you cannot send the army to wipe out your family"- President Goodluck Jonathan (NEWS).
Irronically FFK posted this first on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/femifanikayode/posts/3276335156670

Jonathan admits treating terrorism with kid gloves
http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-admits-treating-terrorism-with-kid-gloves/

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in an address, referred to ‘Terrorism’ as a “global phenomenon, which has come to stay”,

Compare to a Serious General;

"Our soldiers have neither received the necessary support nor the required incentive to tackle this problem. Let me assure you that if I'm elected president, I vow to change that," he added.

"We will give them adequate modern arms and ammunition, we will improve intelligence gathering... we will be tough on terrorists and tough on its root causes... in the affected areas."

"No inch of Nigerian territory will ever be in the hands of the enemy," Buhari pledged, promising to return Nigeria to its former role as a stabilising force in west Africa.

It is a pity that Bokoharam was allowed to thrive and kill innocent citizens, gallant soldiers and officers mostly junior officers for the selfish,monetary, and political gains of this government.

Did Jonathan just wake up from his slumber few weeks to elections? What could have be done long ago is just being done now. Suddenly Jonathan knows the road tO mubi and other troubled spots,now he knows he has to reward gallant soldiers, now he knows he has to visit troubled zone in other to boost the morale of troops. Are this necessities just dawning on him just because of elections. The blood of soldiers and officers lost in this battle because of the greediness and quest for power by this government will surely fight for them.

I have always maintained that the Nigerian Armed forces can deal with this menace but for the pot belly Generals, selfish politicians, and wicked president, alot of lives were allowed to waste.

What results do you expect when you sit back and always wait for an attack to repel. I do not blame soldiers and officers who abadon their riffles and flee. When thos guys aee coming for an attack they come in numbers, with almost unlimited ammo, and a very high morale. You give a soldier 60 to 90 rounds of ammunition, which will be expended in no time once the rifle is set to rapid. Do you expect them to fight with their raw hands? Now a lot of them have been distributed to various military formations to be dismissed there by injecting unemployed trained soldiers into the streets causing more dangers for the populace.

Few weeks to elections, the calous Generals just realized they have to take the battle to the enemies. SHAME ON THIS GOVERNMENT! SHAME ON THE CABALS, SHAME ON THE GENERALS.

EVEN IF PRESIDENT JONATHAN TAKES A RIFFLE AND HEAD FOR SAMBISA NOW;

I have decided for CHANGE and no amount of scripted performance and propaganda can change my mind!!!

WE ALL KNOW WHY BOKOHARAM MENACE WAS ALLOWED TO THRIVE FOR SO LONG NOW

TRIBUTES TO THE SOLDIERS AND OFFICERS WHO LOST THEIR LIFE IN THIS BATTLE. RIP TO THE MANY INNOCENT CITIZENS KILLED BECAUSE OF AN INCOMPETENT PRESIDENT

65 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by cjmike704(m): 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
Good will destroy there life in hell
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by captcochrane(m): 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
hmmmmmm
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by robosky02(m): 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm it is well
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
I hear a sound of victory for us

1 Like

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by EmekaBlue(m): 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
werey pple
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Shekau, shecow........ur time is up, surrender, somersault, collapse, fall down and die......... angry

3 Likes

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by pekeyim: 5:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Well BH is destruction.

#NeverAgain.
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by lordsharks(m): 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
Too bad
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Sweetguy25: 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
I have no pity for them. The failure of Northern leadership is written all over Boko Haram.

1 Like

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Babaneh(m): 5:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
Too bad.. May the God expose the evil doers... Amin

if GEJ had done this before now, i and my family would have voted for him..
but its so unfortunate he came late and we have already decided...

Sai baba!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by nerodenero: 5:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
God is watching.

Unfortunately, the Bible made me understands that if Shecow and his other demons repents, heavens await them. I am like, 'after all they have done angry! God get plenty matter to judge o.
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Abayhormy(m): 5:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
it is well with my country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by lordsharks(m): 5:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
Very bad
Re: Ashes And Death: What Boko Haram Left Behind In Baga - BBC by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
May God judge those bastards called boko haram

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Names Osinbajo 'Coordinator' In His Letter To Senate / Kiki Osinbajo Storms Abuja Nightclub With Hafiz, Her Rumored Boyfriend / Twelve Day's In Office And Buhari's "Achievements"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.