Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! (25182 Views)

Weak Erection: What My Uncle Told Me / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Ways To Prevent HIV Without Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 18, 2015
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my vagina.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

He offered me a seat and raised a topic off the main issue why I came.

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I never told him to include HIV test,

I can barely eat since then.

I have lost weight.

I see the doctor as a monster.

Please advise me on what to do.

This happened to my friend in bayelsa.
She needed advise if at all she will listen.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by DuchessLily(f): 11:37am On Mar 18, 2015
Ur friend's boyfriend is aware from d test he did dat he has d virus dat was why he told her to go see doctor

Maybe he infested her

Well dis is not time to blame anyone

GO AND RUN THE TEST IN ANODA hospital or lab to be double sure

Den register in one of d federal hospitals and start ur medications

Its not easy, but she has to be strong, repent and serve GOD more and be prayerful

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by talk2tosep(m): 11:38am On Mar 18, 2015
Accept ur fate dear,beta yu know dan later..have seen pple dat only know wen it aids already den it too late..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Tallesty1(m): 11:42am On Mar 18, 2015
Well I think you should go for a test in another hospital

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.
When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.
He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my va.gi.na.
I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my BF has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.
When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?
I wasnt moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me untill he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)
The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.
He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.
I have lost weight.

Pls advise me on what to do.

instead of blaming the doctor why not confirm the results elsewhere and take the necessary steps as per management afterwards?

9 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 18, 2015
Confirming it in another hospital may compound her worries she said.
She just want to have that 1% faith that the result may be false even though it rarely happen.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
Sorry to the OP.

That was actually bad medical practice. At the very least, the doc should have asked you IF you wanted to do a HIV test....before filling out any lab form.

As someone here has suggested....go to a (Preferably teaching) hospital, and get retested.

If it is positive....don't be afraid. Life goes on. The treatment of HIV is far better(and more cheaper) than it was twenty years ago...plus people live longer. But make sure your partner/bf gets tested too.

10 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Sorry to the OP.

That was actually bad medical practice. At the very least, the doc should have asked you IF you wanted to do a HIV test....before filling out any lab form.

As someone here has suggested....go to a (Preferably teaching) hospital, and get retested.

If it is positive....don't be afraid. Life goes on. The treatment of HIV is far better(and more cheaper) than it was twenty years ago...plus people live longer. But make sure your partner/bf gets tested too.

That was the point I raised w with a friend but he told me since the girl came for STD (sexually transmitted disease) test of which HIV test is included, he (doctor) reserve the right to go ahead.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by DeCritique(m): 2:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hian!!

She should run another test in a reputable hospital and not a clinic before coming to a conclusion.

The doctor did what he thought was humane even though it may not be within the tenets of his practice rules.

She was lucky self... Others may just look at her with pity and show an "I no send sha" face. But she was lucky before it becomes too late.

=>Take another test in a reputable hospital
=>Wait for results
=>If it turns out negative, retake test in another reputable hospital just to be sure.
=>If positive, begin taking the necessary drugs.
=>Most importantly, please don't share to others.

Thank You!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Bonapart(m): 2:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yes....no
Ok let me ask ifa

Whether he told informed you or not, you have the decease that's all that matters. medication and the rest that's wat you should be after now
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Babaneh(m): 2:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
Basically i think they should test u on request except u donated ur blood for some one else to use; in that case they dont need your consent to scrutinize the virus in your blood before usage..

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by UrennaNkoli(f): 2:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
Sure....[size=13pt]he's only trying to give you a helping hand rather than living with the virus without even knowing..[/size]

10 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by phlio(m): 2:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
not possible at all...we do it base on request or agreement

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by bastien: 2:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hmmmmm brb
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by RichDad1(m): 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Who wan die? But seriously, shey this HIV Virus no dey tire ni? after many years, abi na till the end of time contract e sign with devil? shuo angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
No. Visit another hospital infact federal hospital this time, test for HIV and know your status. If you are positive, stay calm and don't panic....register so you can start treatment and if you are negative, report that hospital or the doctor that attended to you, his licence may be withdrawn. Never forget God still heals.. Yes..I've seen him do it...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Burger01(m): 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Absolutely NO! That's against clinical ethics and standards. A patient must be informed of such test and consent gotten. In the breach, as the case may be, the clinical practitioner can be sued to court.

But, well, the guy should take it in good faith and move on. HIV doesn't kill.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by steppin: 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
In government owned hospitals, it is done without consent. I once did it some years back without even knowing until the last minute.
The woman(Health counsellor I think) gave a lot of preaching about safe sex and abstinence. Later she told me that I was negative and I should practice safe sex at all times.
That was how I knew.

4 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MadCow1: 2:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yes!!

Especially when they ado a Broad Spectrum analysis to diagnose the cause of your ailment.

But when they find out, they must inform you properly and that information is confidential.. until one snitch nigga squeals.

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MrCork: 2:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my vagina.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

I have lost weight.

Please advise me on what to do.

....dyammm..bro u gots aids?....how looong u been gay? (no ofeeinse) angry
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by mikhaildr(m): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2015
Bayelsa girls.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by justi4jesu(f): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2015
Chemist...u wan buy panadol made from chalk abi, Op next time visit a pharmacy
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 18, 2015

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by jeeqaa7(m): 2:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by reflx(m): 2:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
WRONG ON ALL COUNTS!!!
the doctor is supposed to get informed consent from the patient before such test is carried out.
also when the lab scientist sees the lab form, he ought to discuss it with the patient.
simply called Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT).
the process covers all psychological responses from testing to disclosure and prepares the patient for the possibility of a positive result.
though not enough most times but it is a good place to start.
sadly this is not practiced everywhere....

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Chukwutobi: 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
Don't go about punishing people o.

It was your boyfriend that gave you so don't share it.

5 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nehemiah459(m): 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
Common HIV, Be happy cos its not Ebola...

Back to the topic, When you go for test, doctors/lab technicians carries out HIV test first before other test.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by AGgal(f): 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
Most hospitals these days make it a routine to test all their clients for HIV even if you complain of headache only.

But the doctor was suppose to refer you to a heart to heart center for a voluntary counseling and testing.

Op, advise your friend to go for a retest and if positive start her ARVs ASAP. Life must go on!

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / The Death Camps Called Government Hospitals In Nigeria! How Ekene Lost His Dad / Nigerian Final Year Pharmacy Student Dies In India (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.