Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,066 members, 7,838,701 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! (25208 Views)

Weak Erection: What My Uncle Told Me / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Ways To Prevent HIV Without Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by IdeyVex1(m): 7:51pm On Mar 18, 2015
It depends on the hospital. The hospital I use has a policy to test your blood for HIV except while doing a blood test, you expressly tell them not to include HIV.
The OP should not worry. HIV is like malaria now. Only difference is, you will live with drugs for a long time. No need to tell any other person except your lover. The stigma is not worth it.

All the best.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my vagina.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

He offered me a seat and raised a topic off the main issue why I came.

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I never told him to include HIV test,

I can barely eat since then.

I have lost weight.

I see the doctor as a monster.

Please advise me on what to do.

This happened to my friend in bayelsa.
She needed advise if at all she will listen.

To be honest its better to know earlier about condition. But doctor had to ask prior test
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Pamcrest(f): 7:58pm On Mar 18, 2015
By d ethics of d medical profession, d doctor must tell d patient everything: his diagnosis, tests n investigations, results, treatment plan, prescribed drugs, side effects, etc....unless d patient is not in a conducive state of mind to comprehend. But our Naija doctors think it's a privilege if they tell u...even when u know n u ask, their response will make u feel like u have committed a crime.

If a doctor suspects HIV, he must let d patient know he wants him to do d test. And d patient must be counseled before d test to prepare him for d result, esp if it turns out to be negative. But not so with some nigerian doctors.
Op pls let d girl go for counsellling oh. HIV is no longer a death sentence. It can be managed..
My humble submission
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Mbediogu(m): 8:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I have lost weight.

Your handle profile says you are male. How come your doctor wanted vaginal samples from you ? Hmmmm. Before u see monkey, monkey don see you. I am not doubting that you are HIV positive, but why go to a doctor you dont trust, only to turn back and criticize him?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by IYANGBALI: 8:30pm On Mar 18, 2015
eagleeyez:

So when is the wedding btwn u and seun else we will be forced to believe that you are back just for face value and nothing more
na me go pick the wedn datevabeg go ask seun jo,I dey latrine dey shiit
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 8:39pm On Mar 18, 2015
eagleeyez:

I will want to believe the test request was handed over to her, did she not go over it?

Any way repeat the test after 6 months which is window period .you might wish to report him to medical council and besides its wrong of him to have hugged u. That's unethical, you are not his friend and that isn't encouraged as such might be perceived as sexual advance

If it turns out u r indeed positive, not the end of the world. Millios are living with it including some of our ogas at the top. It does not stop u from getting married and having children.it also can't stop u from having a good job. Companies are not allowed to run hiv tests you have a right to decline the test and they dare not discriminate.

I am sure u r a JOHESU....medical council ke, d doc has jux saved her from death, u know how many Ppl r infected walking d streets without knowing?? I work in a teaching hospital, and I can categorically say HIV is no way close to a death sentence once detected early!
They jux need antivirals + good food and pshychic support

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 9:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
reflx:
WRONG ON ALL COUNTS!!!
the doctor is supposed to get informed consent from the patient before such test is carried out.
also when the lab scientist sees the lab form, he ought to discuss it with the patient.
simply called Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT).
the process covers all psychological responses from testing to disclosure and prepares the patient for the possibility of a positive result.
though not enough most times but it is a good place to start.
sadly this is not practiced everywhere....

On all counts ke!! Pls before we all assume, in 90percent of instances, doctors do efer patients 2 VCT but hope u guys know dat dere r circumstances in most hospitals including teaching hospitals where patients are investigated 4 hiv routinely:

1. All pregnant womeb MUST be investigated for hiv, consent or not. Do u think it's 4 d benefit of d doc? It's simply 4 d sake of d baby. And b4 u start thinking of how wrong dis is, Be informed that most pregnant women are not even about their hiv status until routine ANC visits.
I have seen cases where the pregnant women even know deir status but cos of d fear of not been allowed to breastfeed babies in future, do not disclose it. It's is now left to the doc to test dem durin ANC lab screening and counsel dem that dey can be positive and still breastfeed as far as dey r on HAART.

2. All blood donors MUST be screened 4 hiv, consent or not. Don't ask me why. The answer lies in ur imaginations of u falling a victim of infected blood recipient. E nor go funny.

3. All in-house patients booked for surgery must be screened, consent or not. This is to protect the doctors by taking extra precautions during surgery!

So Pls let's stop criticising the medics without considering our environment (NIGERIA). WHO/FG allow dis exceptions because it's tailored to our environment. So don't assume a 100% guideline procedure would be same in naija. If it means adjusting the rules to get good results, den let it be, thanks.

5 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 9:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
esosa4real:

I am sure u r a JOHESU....medical council ke, d doc has jux saved her from death, u know how many Ppl r infected walkin d streets without knowing?? I work in attaching hospital, and I can categorically say HIV is no way close to a death sentence once detected early!
They jux need antivirals + good food and pshychic support

Did u read what I stated well at all at all?where categorically did I state or discourage her over her possible infection?
My friend waste your time on something meaningful okay? Good night
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 9:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
ecel:
Do you wish to buy your favourites from United Kingdom? We have made shopping from UK easy. Register for free UK shopping address. You can buy your favourites directly with your debit card and have your shopping delivered to us. We will weight your total bags put together and send to your international addresses. We only charge a little commission.

If you choose to get customers for us by being our affiliate, you can make £1500 per month.

Go to Shop2me UK Limited

You well so? We talkin HIV, u talking united kingdom? Kilode?.......oya commot dis thread now!

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 9:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
Gboliwe:
In direct answer to your quest, no it is wrong for a doctor to run tests without your consent. Not just HiV. But in Nigeria, our doctors, most of them sha, assume a very exalted position even though they don't know shishi and even start treating you without telling you what your problem is.

Hey is it wrong for a doctor to test ur wife who is pregnant, and books for antenatal for HIV? Consent ko, consent ni, it's it not 4 d benefit of d unborn child??

FYI, it's now most hospital policy!

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 9:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
bettercreature:
Yes its backed up by Law if you are doctor you will know what am saying,if all the test are negative and your patient is still the same you have to keep carrying all the possible test,i mean ALL TEST

My dear that is not what you insinuated in your earlier point . Of course!!! Doctors are to carry out all positive tests to reach get to the cause.......but this is not what we are discussing on ,stop arguing out of point, please

Kindly direct your energy on the lady that needs your encouragement and ignore me, okay??

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ireneidiva(f): 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

While chewing gum, u are filled with confidence but when the broke the news to her, the gum fall off involuntarily
Soooooo?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
sartorius:
NO the doctorb ought to inform her, once the doctor writes vct, the patient should be counselled prior to the test probably in the lab. I have heard of a case where a patient denied her status and declined testing. The nurses cleaners and doctors taking her delivery were not extra cautious , Today the cleaner is with Full .blown aids. he status was only discovered a year after when she presented with diarrhea.

But u r contradicting urself nawww, u say, it is wrong and still give an example of a woman refusing test.
Well This is exactly what I was saying earlier, so don't u fink, it wud have been better, the pregnant woman was tested unawares for the sake of the health workers and unborn baby??
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by esosa4real(m): 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
mentorallo:
The doctor did not do the right thing. Lets call a spade a spade. In medical practice there is something known as "best practice". Before a HIV test a patient should as a matter of protocol and right undergo a pretest counseling after obtaining consent. Having said that. Its also important to note that in testing for HIV 3 rapid test kits can be used. 1. Determine, 2. Uni-gold and 3. Stat pack. We refer to stat Pack as the tie breaker. I wouldn't know which one was used first but ma best guess would be determine. If that is the case, She should request for a test with Uni-gold. if It turns out positive also then its most likely confirmatory. If its negative which could be the case, then she would need to take the stat pack test kit for the last test. If it turns out negative then shez negative and should relax. if it turns out positive then she is positive. HIV is no longer the killer it was. Its basically a chronic disease at the moment. A PCR test could also help confirm the results. Ciao

It's clear u work in the lab and don't come out. Please come out of the lab and discuss this with oda colleagues, ask dem if it's wrong to test 4 hiv in a patient with suspected STI in a hosp setting? The doctor did the right thing!

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by neighbourhud: 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
ocheejemb:
I don't know but if you go to a hospital with symptoms of Malaria, and the Doctor's decides to test for Typhoid and it turns out that is actually what you have...has the Doctor not done his job properly? It's the Doctor's duty to her and to the population to let her know her status ASAP.
Abi o!
She went for STD test, I don't see where the doctor has gone wrong. He simply carried out a full test since her complaint required a lab test confirmation in the first place. Moreover, he did the necessary, he counseled her before he told her the result. The 'hug' is not out of context, it was to make her feel relaxed...a part of counselling (he actually hugged her even when he already knew her status)
In real sense, she owes the doctor a big thank you and she should better stop the blaming game and start taking care of herself

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Chinatownm(m): 11:47pm On Mar 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Sorry to the OP.

That was actually bad medical practice. At the very least, the doc should have asked you IF you wanted to do a HIV test....before filling out any lab form.

As someone here has suggested....go to a (Preferably teaching) hospital, and get retested.

If it is positive....don't be afraid. Life goes on. The treatment of HIV is far better(and more cheaper) than it was twenty years ago...plus people live longer. But make sure your partner/bf gets tested too.

tanx bro for undastanding d question and giving ur honest ansa.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by dipeolu16(m): 12:37am On Mar 19, 2015
NO
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by tomiobj(m): 5:03am On Mar 19, 2015
Chai. Instead of u to thannk God that u found out nw instead of when it's about to kill u. Welll God help you
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 19, 2015
Mbediogu:

Your handle profile says you are male. How come your doctor wanted vaginal samples from you ? Hmmmm. Before u see monkey, monkey don see you. I am not doubting that you are HIV positive, but why go to a doctor you dont trust, only to turn back and criticize him?

U were in a hurry to comment.
Pls read all the thread.
Thanks
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 19, 2015
esosa4real:

It's clear u work in the lab and don't come out. Please come out of the lab and discuss this with oda colleagues, ask dem if it's wrong to test 4 hiv in a patient with suspected STI in a hosp setting? The doctor did the right thing!

Well spoken
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 29, 2017
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

HIV virus is a hoax.

HIV is the greatest fraud of our time.

Tell ur friend to avoid taking any HIV drug, those drugs are very toxic and will kill her in. a few Years.

HIV is just an anomaly in the immune system, it's not a virus. Let her do exercise n proper diet, that would save her life.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
No. Visit another hospital infact federal hospital this time, test for HIV and know your status. If you are positive, stay calm and don't panic....register so you can start treatment and if you are negative, report that hospital or the doctor that attended to you, his licence may be withdrawn. Never forget God still heals.. Yes..I've seen him do it...

Wait oo, I am not understanding...... How did u see God heal people? Are u his cousin? Do u live inside the clouds lmao.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 01, 2017
PrecisionFx:

HIV virus is a hoax.

HIV is the greatest fraud of our time.

Tell ur friend to avoid taking any HIV drug, those drugs are very toxic and will kill her in. a few Years.

HIV is just an anomaly in the immune system, it's not a virus. Let her do exercise n proper diet, that would save her life.

You are very funny.
We have moved pas this level reasoning.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 01, 2017
kenonze:

You are very funny.
We have moved pas this level reasoning.

A German/Austrian Biologist Christyl Meyers did her PhD project on the HIV virus, this is her findings.

U can equally read up about her to know who she really is.

U can also visit HIV/AIDS forums and see for urself thousands of members who never took the retroviral drugs or stopped taking the drug(almost at the point of death) and they are still very much alive n well. HIV exists, it's not a virus, it's just an anomaly in the immune system.

Too too many Dr PhD holders, biochemists, biologists including those that have won Nobel prices for science n biology , etc have come out and presented all forms of evidences that the HIV is a Hoax.

But the powers that be will never allow it fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaA6zLUPfvk&hl=en-GB&gl=NG
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 01, 2017
...A HIV positive person said this, she has been on the HIV drug from 1988 to 1992 and she almost died of side effects .... But a doctor friend of hers saved her life. The doctor told her to stop the drugs n gave her a diet n exercise regimen which she has followed from 1992 to 2017, 25 years n she's still alive, strong n kicking.

This screen grab is from a HIV N AIDS forum

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by GloryWilliams(f): 2:23pm On Jul 01, 2017
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

Please get this product from Libracin
Libracin Herbal Alternatives will give you the solution to that problem, also for quick relief

For inquiries: Call/whatsapp: +2347038595483
Links: libracin.com/shop/?ref=39
email us: www.libracinweb3@yahoo.com
www.libracin.com

ENRICHING LIVES FOR BETTER

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / Asthmatic Patient Killed By Refuse At Douglas Road Owerri - Facebook User (Pics) / HIV Couples Give Birth To 72 Negative Babies In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.