Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,051 members, 7,838,654 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! (25206 Views)

Weak Erection: What My Uncle Told Me / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Ways To Prevent HIV Without Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
bettercreature:
Doctors are invested with the right to do HIV test as the last resort without your conscience when all the predicted tests are Negative
I am sorry you should just take heart,you should thank your God for detecting on time
Trust me you will leave longer than most people who are HIV free
Hiv IS NOT a death sentence,you will born kids,live longer and get married
dont hide it and take your medications,that is the solution
so its not a big deal btw stop chewing gum expecially infront of doctors because it gave them impression you are slut or something like that

Doctors are invested with what!!! Is it backed by law if yes can we have it?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
hmmm....the doctor behaved like a quack . You need to do pretest counselling and obtain consent first . You dont just screen people !
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by shoboy9: 5:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
hmmm. someone just told you about your hiv status and you are worried about the Dr not telling you about hiv test or not even though you admit he told you that you will be tested? I wonder...

is this how people spread the disease? obviously some don't want to know what they have done and will look for anyone to blame.

I think nigerian govt should make testing mandatory in the interest of the general public especially spouses. Does anybody have the right to put someone at risk and keep mute about it? isn't that a form of man slaughter?

p.s. I don't know what the law says o.

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 5:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
Gboliwe:
In direct answer to your quest, no it is wrong for a doctor to run tests without your consent. Not just HiV. But in Nigeria, our doctors, most of them sha, assume a very exalted position even though they don't know shishi and even start treating you without telling you what your problem is.

Thank you!!!!!!!!! Some people just type with out a single knowledge and act confident like they know.

That was. How a doctor went ahead and requested for A particular test is it hvs or so ... Can't remember but the test can't be done on a virgin. Even after she told him she is not and has never been active. Come and see commotion
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by biomedixexcel(m): 5:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
The doctor was unprofessional as we have it around these days. From what I was taught in school, there should be pre-test counselling and post test counselling
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
BluIvy:

Nawa oo! Which hiv testing is now done through virginal samples?

You need to go for a test as soon as possible from this you have never done one. undecided

Read it again.
Doctor told her they will run some tests including taking samples from va gi na.
If u are a female, it wont b strange to u.
HVS (high vagina swab) is done for girls with suspected pelvic infections
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
ireneidiva:

Am I dreaming? What's up with the stop chewing gum part shocked
Am I dreaming? What's up with the stop chewing gum part

While chewing gum, u are filled with confidence but when the broke the news to her, the gum fall off involuntarily
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by cescky(m): 5:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
MrCork:

....dyammm..bro u gots aids?....how looong u been gay? (no ofeeinse) angry

your studity is usualy funny and i laugh

am a fan ....if i may use that word, but here you just plain low and an hediot.

@op
retest in another hospital

2)seek God... there are many cases of people getting cured in churches( winners chapel,christ embassy, etc) if you believe you can be healed

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by davien(m): 5:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hiv testing is made mandatory in some hospitals...it's done to create awareness about the pandemic and to minimise infection rates....the more knowledgeable you are of your status...the better the condition that it can be contained in.

Nowadays treatment is available to retain the virus' full effect on your system through a cocktail of anti-retroviral drugs...

So either start the treatment or perform further testing if you aren't satisfied.
And hiv/aids does not stop you from having a full and fulfilled life.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by EOOJ(m): 5:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my vagina.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

He offered me a seat and raised a topic off the main issue why I came.

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I never told him to include HIV test,

I can barely eat since then.

I have lost weight.

I see the doctor as a monster.

Please advise me on what to do.

This happened to my friend in bayelsa.
She needed advise if at all she will listen.

Well in as much as its painful but its better u were told n u start treatment earlier...

I had similar experience last year, after all d test, d doctor told me he also included HIV test to b sure n I was shocked!!!

Don't know why they do dat but since d truth is out, well take it in good faith n do d needful or beta stil go n do d test in two other places to b 100% sure of ur status. It is well

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by talktimi(m): 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

Thanks
Address pls.
Orthodox or paramedical?
their office is in Lagos, its trado I guess 08037907185 Dr Ojeih
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by EOOJ(m): 5:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
not possible at all...we do it base on request or agreement

Trust me ma brother, its very possible cos it happened to me late last year...
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by fsb(m): 5:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
A lot of interesting posts...

1. An HIV Test cannot be done without you giving a go-ahead, so the doctor was wrong and a lot of health workers do it without telling patients. Lawsuit.

2. In the recently released integrated national guidelines, what is encouraged is the opt-out form of provider initiated testing and counseling. What this means is that a health care worker will offer HIV testing and counseling routinely; you should be informed before the test is carried out. Sadly, some thick heads don't understand that routine is not mandatory. Not refusing indicates that you have assented to the test but you do have a right to refuse even for a pregnant woman. It is then left for the hospital to counsel you further on why you should know your status. I'm not sure about the anti-discriminatory bill that was approved by Senate as regards whether hospitals can refuse their service to people who refuse PITC--- haven't read the policy.

3. Voluntary testing and counseling just means you walk into a facility and request for the hiv test. The reason PITC was introduced was so that more people could know their status as against just waiting for people to request for the test - passive versus active case finding.

4. As someone as pointed out earlier, you need to run the test using 3 kits in line with the national serial algorithm but my experience is that many private hospitals only use the first kit. I won't get into the rationale behind the use of 3 kits here.

Advice is this: Walk into a general hospital, I can provide you with choices if you tell me what state you are in- and request for the test.

Having HIV is not the worst that could happen. The medications are available and are free.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by phlio(m): 5:45pm On Mar 18, 2015
EOOJ:

Trust me ma brother, its very possible cos it happened to me late last year...
that is unprofessional the Dr needs to be called order. so sorry about that bro.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by asaretolulope(m): 5:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
....A doctor does not have the right to test you for HIV without your consent. It's Voluntary testing and Counselling with an opt out proviso.
...you ought to be counselled first before the test and after even if the result was positive..
...dt's 9ja private hospitals for you
And I guess your boyfriend knew before insisting on the test
...please I would advise you take your medications..and attend a virology clinic
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by deletrue: 5:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
DeCritique:

Lolz... In as much as I would have loved to reel off puerile insults to you because of this comment of yours, I'll just have to retain my mien.

I used please there, isn't it polite enough? Should I kneel down and beg her not to share to others? I believe I was talking to someone who's conscience is still intact. So whether I beg her or not, or plead more politely or not, she should know the right thing to do.

Period!!
But you dey quick vex ooo. The word ''please'' is damn too mere for that circumstance. I know you are an intelligent person. I would have preferred advice like: please, all you need to do is to carry out another tests to reconfirm, thereafter, depending on the result, take appropriate steps, since it is easily transferrable. To me those words are more reasonable and consoling more than the word ''please don't share it. You self, think am. BTW, are you an apc member or an Islamist? He never reach to vex like that before.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 6:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
IYANGBALI:
the thing no dey happen to dem,every time na their friends or family members. Nairalanders and their yeye lies. *runs out of the thread and covers myself with the blood of Jesus against infection* Seun pls wear condoms for this thread and Nairaland as a whole,else you won't see me here again

So when is the wedding btwn u and seun else we will be forced to believe that you are back just for face value and nothing more
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by chingydaboss(m): 6:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
Come to d Lord's Chosen @ Ijesha in Lagos..
God will heal u.. m certain
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I have lost weight.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by DeCritique(m): 6:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
deletrue:
But you dey quick vex ooo. The word ''please'' is damn too mere for that circumstance. I know you are an intelligent person. I would have preferred advice like: please, all you need to do is to carry out another tests to reconfirm, thereafter, depending on the result, take appropriate steps, since it is easily transferrable. To me those words are more reasonable and consoling more than the word ''please don't share it. You self, think am. BTW, are you an apc member or an Islamist? He never reach to vex like that before.

Alright... Lemme do that...

"Baby, please, all you need to do is to carry out another tests to reconfirm, thereafter, depending on the result, take appropriate steps, since it is easily transferrable"

Done right? We're good right? undecided

I'm a GEJite jare... Hope you are a brother in arms?

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by deletrue: 6:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
DeCritique:

Alright... Lemme do that...

"Baby, please, all you need to do is to carry out another tests to reconfirm, thereafter, depending on the result, take appropriate steps, since it is easily transferrable"

Done right? We're good right? undecided

I'm a GEJite jare... Hope you are a brother in arms?
Off course. Big thanks and may likes but the system dey allow only one like. Thanks very much.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MrCork: 6:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
cescky:

your studity is usualy funny and i laugh

am a fan ....if i may use that word, but here you just plain low and an hediot.

@op
retest in another hospital

2)seek God... there are many cases of people getting cured in churches( winners chapel,christ embassy, etc) if you believe you can be healed

...bro...gay people have aids and I nevar said u hav aid coz u gay and I hav notin against gay people.....bro I like elton John......all am ask is how loong u been gay (no ofeeense) angry
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by anigbajumo(m): 6:49pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nehemiah459:
Common HIV, Be happy cos its not Ebola...

Back to the topic, When you go for test, doctors/lab technicians carries out HIV test first before other test.
@private hospital?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by solotutu(m): 7:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
DuchessLily:
Ur friend's boyfriend is aware from d test he did dat he has d virus dat was why he told her to go see doctor

Maybe he infested her

Well dis is not time to blame anyone

GO AND RUN THE TEST IN ANODA hospital or lab to be double sure

Den register in one of d federal hospitals and start ur medications

It not easy, but she has to be strong, repent and serve GOD more and be prayerful

fourconded as ln this scenario looks like one of the episodes in "shuga" tho double check at anoda hospital, xos gats b sure...and den if its d same place d guy did d test, u shud sniff stinking rat.
for short she shud be sure she gatz it..if yes then arrange for treatment ASAP
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Gboliwe: 7:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
eagleeyez:

Thank you!!!!!!!!! Some people just type with out a single knowledge and act confident like they know.

That was. How a doctor went ahead and requested for A particular test is it hvs or so ... Can't remember but the test can't be done on a virgin. Even after she told him she is not and has never been active. Come and see commotion

Don't let the answers you get here bother you. Most of them are either kids, dysfunctional adults, very immature adults and/or mentally re tarded sociopaths. I have been on this forum long enough to know who to reply and who to ignore. You can learn too.

I wish your friend great strength to weather through this very trying times.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by cescky(m): 7:30pm On Mar 18, 2015
MrCork:

...bro...gay people have aids and I nevar said u hav aid coz u gay and I hav notin against gay people.....bro I like elton John......all am ask is how loong u been gay (no ofeeense) angry

your brain is probably soaked with soakaway water or something

uve been this way since inception on nairaland.....grow up guy ur not funny again but da-ft

is your brain so warped? all you want to is poke fun at serious life issues...yes, the profile says male(so do many females) didnt you read and see the part she mentioned vagina?

dont know why am wasting my precious time on your hopeless case.

if u want to show you have some real brains make some sense in your posts and not your stewpid and childish no offence rubish.

as for your question
go and ask your mother
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MrCork: 7:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
cescky:

your brain is probably soaked with soakaway water or something

uve been this way since inception on nairaland.....grow up guy ur not funny again but da-ft

is your brain so warped? all you want to is poke fun at serious life issues...yes, the profile says male(so do many females) didnt you read and see the part she mentioned vagina?

dont know why am wasting my precious time on your hopeless case.

if u want to show you have some real brains make some sense in your posts and not your stewpid and childish no offence rubish.

as for your question
go and ask your mother

..b!tch pliease calm down & let's talk like gentlemen....no nid for violence....didn't u hear him say he gots aid but he ain't gay??... ...muss u always act like home basebnigerian and cuss?

....brother ..is everything in that Nigeria always about cussin? (no ofennsce)
embarassed
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by sainty2k3(m): 7:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

On this particular issue , the doctor is wrong. However, there are some instances in which a doctor can carry out HIV test on u, without informed consent:
- if a doctor get pricked or had contact with ur blood . this is needed to confirm if he's going to need post exposure prophylaxis
- if u are registering for antenatal, this is to protect ur baby from having it, in the hospital where am working, it is mandatory , of I refused u won't be registered
- if he strongly suspect that is what u are having and u are not consenting, he can carry out the test to protect the managing team . but u should never be informed on less u pass through hat process of counselling.
-when u are donating blood or other organs - for this, U'll simply be informed that u are not fit.it is a measure to protector the recipient. If u request to know , U'll be made to passed through necessary counselling and retesting
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MrCork: 7:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
...this home base people mennnn!! undecided
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by muredo(m): 7:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
I love Nairaland so much
If you really want to have 100% attention of youth in my dear country Nigeria,sit the down to give them their HIV result
No matter how strong or bold you are,you will think twice,because not only from sex you can get this deadly disease.

Back to the topic,the doctor has violated the ethic and standard of medical profession,he must be querried
He did the right thing via wrong channel.
I could remembered vividly when my immunity started going down,I went for several test,until that doctor said,I must go for HIV test,I wanted the ground to open and swallow me up,profusely sweating like a xmas goat,I summoned courage to do it,the result would be ready in 3 days,my wedding is a month time in Nigeria,I told myself,I wont go for the result until my wedding is over and back to kenya,That is how I ran away to Nigeria.
After I came back,I started counting all the ladies I had an affair with whether they can have it or not,until my wife force me to go for the result,I told the doctor,dont just read anything for me,print it for me and let me go,he printed it,I left,on my way home,summoned courage anyhow,anyhow,omo okunrin kii ku lee meji,Thank GOD, IT IS NEGATIVE!!!!, I ordered for Nyama choma(fried meat and cold drink)
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
mentorallo:
The doctor did not do the right thing. Lets call a spade a spade. In medical practice there is something known as "best practice". Before a HIV test a patient should as a matter of protocol and right undergo a pretest counseling after obtaining consent. Having said that. Its also important to note that in testing for HIV 3 rapid test kits can be used. 1. Determine, 2. Uni-gold and 3. Stat pack. We refer to stat Pack as the tie breaker. I wouldn't know which one was used first but ma best guess would be determine. If that is the case, She should request for a test with Uni-gold. if It turns out positive also then its most likely confirmatory. If its negative which could be the case, then she would need to take the stat pack test kit for the last test. If it turns out negative then shez negative and should relax. if it turns out positive then she is positive. HIV is no longer the killer it was. Its basically a chronic disease at the moment. A PCR test could also help confirm the results. Ciao
stak pack gave two red lines, that's positive shey?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
Believe me there are worse things that can happen to u other than HIV. Some pple would trade their current situation for hiv in a heartbeat. Many who don't hav HIV will still die before u. Life can go on smooth for u still if u want it to so get a grip of yourself and be strong. Donot dwell on it. U can't dwell on any of it
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by bettercreature(m): 7:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
eagleeyez:

Doctors are invested with what!!! Is it backed by law if yes can we have it?
Yes its backed up by Law if you are doctor you will know what am saying,if all the test are negative and your patient is still the same you have to keep carrying all the possible test,i mean ALL TEST

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / Asthmatic Patient Killed By Refuse At Douglas Road Owerri - Facebook User (Pics) / Nigerian Doctors Relocating To Sierra Leone, Gambia To Earn $4,000 Wages, CMDs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.