Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,543 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! (25203 Views)

Weak Erection: What My Uncle Told Me / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Ways To Prevent HIV Without Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
@Op, I am sorry for the bad news your friend received but as others have said its not the end of the world. I hopand pray she receives strength to stay strong and healthy.

It would help others though if she could share what was wrong with her (symptoms) that prompted the doctor to do an HIV test without even consulting her? Especially those who are scared of doing the tests but continue to risk other peoples lives by engaging in risky acts.

I guess he was suspicious that she might be infected and knowing many people would resist being tested he went ahead which could be depending on the patient a life saving act or disastrous one.

In other countries HIV TEST is no longer a big deal people do it with ease as there is lot of support to ensure people live healthly with the virus.

4 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by bettercreature(m): 3:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
Doctors are invested with the right to do HIV test as the last resort without your conscience when all the predicted tests are Negative
I am sorry you should just take heart,you should thank your God for detecting on time
Trust me you will leave longer than most people who are HIV free
Hiv IS NOT a death sentence,you will born kids,live longer and get married
dont hide it and take your medications,that is the solution
so its not a big deal btw stop chewing gum expecially infront of doctors because it gave them impression you are slut or something like that

4 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by CountDracula(m): 3:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Sorry to the OP.

That was actually bad medical practice. At the very least, the doc should have asked you IF you wanted to do a HIV test....before filling out any lab form.

As someone here has suggested....go to a (Preferably teaching) hospital, and get retested.

If it is positive....don't be afraid. Life goes on. The treatment of HIV is far better(and more cheaper) than it was twenty years ago...plus people live longer. But make sure your partner/bf gets tested too.

a doctor tells u he wants to run tests, and den brings result and ure sayin why didn't he tell u he wanted to run test for a particular disease? Is it jus me or is dat dumb... Y did u now go to him? To test for cough abi... Sista sorry, confirm ur test wit som oda clinic and if +ve, move on

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
thunder74:

She made the request by submitting herself to be tested and the doctor said "we need to run some tests" and when she heard that what test was she expecting? Biology or Maths test? Some samples were taken from her virginal and guess some of her complains to the doctor already suggested to the doctor she is infected with the virus.

Nawa oo! Which hiv testing is now done through virginal samples?

You need to go for a test as soon as possible from this you have never done one. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ireneidiva(f): 3:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
bettercreature:
Doctors are invested with the right to do HIV test as the last resort without your conscience when all the predicted tests are Negative
I am sorry you should just take heart,you should thank your God for detecting on time
so its not a big deal btw stop chewing gum expecially infront of doctors because it gave them impression you are slut or something like that
Am I dreaming? What's up with the stop chewing gum part shocked
bettercreature:
Am I dreaming? What's up with the stop chewing gum part
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
I think the hospitals are making it complusory now undecided
The doctor will ask you to do HIV first before anyother.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ezeonwe: 3:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
The doctor has done no wrong anyway. He did well by telling you on time. What you should do now is to seek counseling on how to manage it. The way you sound you are too scared. Well,you might be because of the way you feel about it but know very well that you can do all you wish to do on earth. All you need is counseling and correct practise of it. You don't need to be told about how to protect others.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by thunder74(m): 3:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
BluIvy:

Nawa oo! Which hiv testing is now done through virginal samples?

You need to go for a test as soon as possible from this you have never done one. undecided
Madam, please read my post again, when I said sample was taken from her virginal, I was explaining that before the doctor could take that sample even from her private part, the explanations to the doctor could have raised the suspicion.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
HIV doesn't kill, what kills is the thinking and depression that goes with the sickness cos the Carrier must have heard stories of people that died of the virus without knowing that humans are bound to die some day with or without being HIV positive .. My advice is for her to see HIV as an ordinary illness that doesn't have permanent cure but can be controlled with healthy foods and EVD... Malaria is more deadlier than HIV but due to lack of knowledge, people fear HIV more than malaria...

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 18, 2015
Does a doctor have the right to test you of malaria after complaint...I think if the doctor could then hiv test shouldn't be no problem cus he's doing his job.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by DeCritique(m): 3:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
deletrue:
How I wish you can give that advice: please do not share to others in a more polite way. If you ask her when and how does she come about getting it honestly, she will never know who gave it to her. I was told hiv can be contacted through many ways. I mean you should have appealled to her and NOT, please do not share to another just like that.

Lolz... In as much as I would have loved to reel off puerile insults to you because of this comment of yours, I'll just have to retain my mien.

I used please there, isn't it polite enough? Should I kneel down and beg her not to share to others? I believe I was talking to someone who's conscience is still intact. So whether I beg her or not, or plead more politely or not, she should know the right thing to do.

Period!!

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 18, 2015
thunder74:

Madam, please read my post again, when I said sample was taken from her virginal, I was explaining that before the doctor could take that sample even from her private part, the explanations to the doctor could have raised the suspicion.

Issorite, bro!

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by frankjames700: 3:53pm On Mar 18, 2015
I have a friend with such experience and after running three test he was negative at the hiv center where he was directed to.though the doctor doesn't have the right to conclude that you have the virus, he supposed to enveloped the test and give to you and direct you to nearby hiv center to confirm the text.so my advice is to have another text at a hiv center.you can contact me I need to have a word with you.facebook:frankdoncy99, what's app 08023935808, 08109049213 chancellor frank.please hiv doesn't kill if treated but, but anxiety kill faster.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nakarey(m): 3:57pm On Mar 18, 2015
The doc did no wrong...he only acted based on symptoms she presented. Its pertinent to know that in testing for STD's, HIV test is first carried out to rule out its presence before carrying out other tests.

This is a VERY HARD situation for your friend to be in...very hard!!!

Meanwhile we should all get tested. Its the best thing to do!

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by tiredface: 3:58pm On Mar 18, 2015
You're in Nigeria where people will rather not known, it's a culture and your doc knows that. Please, take care of yourself and don't knowingly infect others, and I wish you well.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by sartorius(m): 4:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
NO the doctorb ought to inform her, once the doctor writes vct, the patient should be counselled prior to the test probably in the lab. I have heard of a case where a patient denied her status and declined testing. The nurses cleaners and doctors taking her delivery were not extra cautious , Today the cleaner is with Full .blown aids. he status was only discovered a year after when she presented with diarrhea.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by unite4real: 4:14pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Confirming it in another hospital may compound her worries she said.
She just want to have that 1% faith that the result may be false even though it rarely happen.

where did you read your comments from the post. when did she say so.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ozodigboo(m): 4:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
I'm sorry, but this is 2015. In all government hospitals, HIV is the 1st thing to be tested. You can't sue anyone for that.
You presented yourself for the tests for STD.
HIV is an STD.
Would u have wanted d doctor to see d result, look at u, bone, and tell u to go........that he didn't see anything ?
HIV is no longer a killer........OP, this doctor just saved your life.
It would have been gross negligence for d doctor to miss the test, and it eventually turns out.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by pembisco(m): 4:23pm On Mar 18, 2015
Dr9ce:
Ever heard of provider initiated testing and counselling? ( PITC). It is a more recent development than VCT. Note that "testing" comes before 'counselling' .It is initiated in highly suspicious cases.
bro, there's pre and post test counselling. its wrong to say testing comes b4 counselling. In pre test counselling, the patient must know the test she's about to undergo, the possible outcome of the results and only when she agrees (informed consent) will the test be proceeded. Mind u she has the right to decline knowing her status even after the test

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
talktimi:
@kenonze Dr Paul Olisa Ojeih claims to treat HIV 1 & 2 effectively, his kids run the clinic now though sing he's late cool

Thank u,
How could we get the address?
Orthodox medicine or tradomedical?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by mentorallo(m): 4:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
The doctor did not do the right thing. Lets call a spade a spade. In medical practice there is something known as "best practice". Before a HIV test a patient should as a matter of protocol and right undergo a pretest counseling after obtaining consent. Having said that. Its also important to note that in testing for HIV 3 rapid test kits can be used. 1. Determine, 2. Uni-gold and 3. Stat pack. We refer to stat Pack as the tie breaker. I wouldn't know which one was used first but ma best guess would be determine. If that is the case, She should request for a test with Uni-gold. if It turns out positive also then its most likely confirmatory. If its negative which could be the case, then she would need to take the stat pack test kit for the last test. If it turns out negative then shez negative and should relax. if it turns out positive then she is positive. HIV is no longer the killer it was. Its basically a chronic disease at the moment. A PCR test could also help confirm the results. Ciao

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
pastorKosiso:
No. Visit another hospital infact federal hospital this time, test for HIV and know your status. If you are positive, stay calm and don't panic....register so you can start treatment and if you are negative, report that hospital or the doctor that attended to you, his licence may be withdrawn. Never forget God still heals.. Yes..I've seen him do it...

That is not how things are done,
Medical and dental council wont withdraw the license bc of that. Its never a malpractise.
Mind u the boyfriend has done his own test and told the girl that she must go and see a doctor.
From look of things the result sounds authentic.
Most hospital cant brake the news of HIv without a confirmatory test test
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 18, 2015
Chukwutobi:
Don't go about punishing people o.

It was your boyfriend that gave you so don't share it.

U sound like the only one that read and understood the Op
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 4:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
HIV will not kill u. Some people still live longer with HIV if they practice healthy life than those who r healthy. Live ur life happily and be in a good relationship with God. Everyone whether healthy or infected needs to know that death does not go about looking for sick people alone. My dear, tell ur friend that HIV is nothing. She can still live A long a happy life.
Let her just try and avoid others from contacting it from her.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by keside(m): 4:58pm On Mar 18, 2015
The answers here go a long way in showing how ignorant most Nigerians are with regards to health issues. There are different types of HIV testing, there's voluntary testing and there's hospital initiated testing.
Hospital initiated testing; d doctor has d right to request for any patient of d hospital to be screened for HIV. But d patient will be counseled b4 and after the test. So pple shld advice only whn they know wat they are saying

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

That is not how things are done,
Medical and dental council wont withdraw the license bc of that. Its never a malpractise.
Mind u the boyfriend has done his own test and told the girl that she must go and see a doctor.
From look of things the result sounds authentic.
Most hospital cant brake the news of HIv without a confirmatory test test
even some private hospitals, I mean well established private hospitals still take HIV test without telling you and then they will give u results. I went mad with one lab attendant some wEeks back whom I went to for genotype test and the day I went to get my results I open the results just to find out that HIV test was included. I told him that one day someone will slump infront of that their lab and die out of shock. I don't know what's wrong with these people these days.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Sorry to the OP.

That was actually bad medical practice. At the very least, the doc should have asked you IF you wanted to do a HIV test....before filling out any lab form.

As someone here has suggested....go to a (Preferably teaching) hospital, and get retested.

If it is positive....don't be afraid. Life goes on. The treatment of HIV is far better(and more cheaper) than it was twenty years ago...plus people live longer. But make sure your partner/bf gets tested too.
Hmmm...
It was done via VOLUNTARY COUNSELING... but now, it came to the NOTICE of HEALTH PRACTIONERS that their lives were at RISK ..so they had to revert to this NEW METHOD..as a universal precautionary way.

What a DOCTOR will NEVER do is to disclose your CLINICAL BACKGROUND to someone other than those you have ascribed...

MIND U , most cancers are WORST than HIV..

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
eagleeyez:

I will want to believe the test request was handed over to her, did she not go over it?

Any way repeat the test after 6 months which is window period .you might wish to report him to medical council and besides its wrong of him to have hugged u. That's unethical, you are not his friend and that isn't encouraged as such might be perceived as sexual advance

If it turns out u r indeed positive, not the end of the world. Millios are living with it including some of our ogas at the top. It does not stop u from getting married and having children.it also can't stop u from having a good job. Companies are not allowed to run hiv tests you have a right to decline the test and they dare not discriminate.

Well to my understanding of the warm hug, it to show her that despite the virus, we cant get it via hugging or hand shake.
U may chose to understand it in ur own way but I dont think the babe is worried about that
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
This is very fictional! Good story line for Nollyplank
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 18, 2015
talktimi:
@kenonze Dr Paul Olisa Ojeih claims to treat HIV 1 & 2 effectively, his kids run the clinic now though sing he's late cool

Thanks
Address pls.
Orthodox or paramedical?
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 5:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

Well to my understanding of the warm hug, it to show her that despite the virus, we cant get it via hugging or hand shake.
U may chose to understand it in ur own way but I dont think the babe is worried about that

My dear, first point of call is that she's supposed to be reffered to a counsellor.
Funnyhow its only that part u picked and attacked.
Abeg give the lady reasonable support and don't waste space here.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by sonnie10: 5:15pm On Mar 18, 2015
The issue of Informed Consent has generated a lot of debates in health care. The most popular being the case of Herietta Lacks, an African American woman whose cancer cells were used to develop the popular Hela cells without her consent. This is because it was not the practice then to obtain consent from patients. Hela cells have been used for many medical break through (The book, Herietta Lacks is a must read for every medical ethics student).

Certain questions beg for answers in this case - in what language did she communicate with the doctor, was it in English? Is she able to read and write English to the standard of a primary school certificate holder? Because for one to be considered health literate, grade 5 reading ability is the mark. If the answer is yes for any of these questions, then further issues might be raised.

There is hardly any hospital/clinic that would treat a patient without asking that the patient to sign some paper works. Usually, it is a standard document that serves as an Inform Consent acknowledgement. So, did she receive and sign those papers? Let us not forget that an Informed Consent is not necessarily an oral piece of information-change between a patient and a doctor. It is a legal document, which could be tender as evidence, hence better presented in paper form. It would be the height of negligence, if the clinic did not have this document and have her sign it from the onset.

Her argument would be subject to rebuttal since the facts are not substantiated. She would say, "the doctor did not tell me I was going to have an HIV test before the procedure" and the doctor would deny, saying there are false accusation. Additionally, the doctor would present the signed document as proof and concrete evidence of an informed Consent. Remember, Judges would always conclude based on "the evidence before the court."

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / Asthmatic Patient Killed By Refuse At Douglas Road Owerri - Facebook User (Pics) / Nigerian Doctors Relocating To Sierra Leone, Gambia To Earn $4,000 Wages, CMDs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.