Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! (25210 Views)

Weak Erection: What My Uncle Told Me / Am I Infected With Measles Or Heat Rash? / Ways To Prevent HIV Without Condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nehemiah459(m): 2:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
justi4jesu:
Chemist...u wan buy panadol made from chalk abi, Op next time visit a pharmacy
This brain is running on Pentium 1... Read the post again and remove that OP....

5 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hian! this one is strong
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by miteolu(m): 2:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
good
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by eagleeyez: 2:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

He told me that I should run some test including taking sample from my vagina.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

He offered me a seat and raised a topic off the main issue why I came.

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I never told him to include HIV test,

I can barely eat since then.

I have lost weight.

I see the doctor as a monster.

Please advise me on what to do.

This happened to my friend in bayelsa.
She needed advise if at all she will listen.

I will want to believe the test request was handed over to her, did she not go over it?

Any way repeat the test after 6 months which is window period .you might wish to report him to medical council and besides its wrong of him to have hugged u. That's unethical, you are not his friend and that isn't encouraged as such might be perceived as sexual advance

If it turns out u r indeed positive, not the end of the world. Millios are living with it including some of our ogas at the top. It does not stop u from getting married and having children.it also can't stop u from having a good job. Companies are not allowed to run hiv tests you have a right to decline the test and they dare not discriminate.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Alphaoscar: 2:47pm On Mar 18, 2015
The same thing was done to me at a general hospital in Lagos.

I went for a minor complain and some test were wrote for me to undergo but I gt suspicious when I was directed to a heart-to-heart center and was been interviewed about HIV/AIDS.

I was only told that I will be undergoing an HIV test which I did and later went for the result couple of days later. Even though I believe I am clean but we were kept in suspense for a while and at the end of the day the shaft was separated from the grain and I can't wait to get out of the place because unknown to me that the guy I have been jisting with since I got to the place was infected.

The goodness of it is that it later gave me confidence to go for the test anytime I remember or some of these organizations walked into our hood .

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Gboliwe: 2:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
In direct answer to your quest, no it is wrong for a doctor to run tests without your consent. Not just HiV. But in Nigeria, our doctors, most of them sha, assume a very exalted position even though they don't know shishi and even start treating you without telling you what your problem is.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by talktimi(m): 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2015
@kenonze Dr Paul Olisa Ojeih claims to treat HIV 1 & 2 effectively, his kids run the clinic now though sing he's late cool
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by mezebel(f): 2:51pm On Mar 18, 2015
HIV is no longer a death sentence.... Go run ur CD4 count to know the appropriete drugs to start. Also thank God u discovered on time.

Life goes on because
What u cannot change,u have no option than to accept.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by tundeotunba(m): 2:53pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yes. So he can get to know what he is dealing with
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 18, 2015
The man did her a big favour undecided
probably she is one of those who don't go for HIV screening after having several unprotected sex.
I don't see the reason why adults will not take time to go for screening at least 2 times a year. angry angry

Mtchewwww!
HIV isn't the end of the world, although I hate being you right now. cry cry
Kpele.
Na wa o.

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by MKO4ever(m): 2:59pm On Mar 18, 2015
R.I.P
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by LewisO: 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
[size=14pt]Go to other hospital for test. period! [/size]
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
mikhaildr:
Bayelsa girls.
Is that needed, really undecided

4 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Revolva(m): 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
All this bayelsa girls wey dey f...' like dog...about that's all they know well @op ur friends got HIV no doubt..jare..notin u can say and her BF also may also ave it if. they both sex unprotected....pele oo at least it's better than ebola grin angry but why HIV no dey catch real prostitutes sef. Na all this. Home gals abi am suspectin most dese babe. To be runs gals- dat can do. Any type of risk to satisfy guys dat can pay dem mega money....Bayelsa PH babe's abuja runs...owerri gals...all babe's there na ashewo

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Dapo4u(m): 3:02pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
Dear NL, I went to a chemist to explain my health challenges but was referred to see a doctor in a nearby clinic.

When I got to the clinic, being my first time ever to visit a normal hospital set up, I was confused with protocol however got to see the doctor and gave him all the answers to the numerous questions he asked.

I was told to come for the results the next day which I did. Before now, my boyfriend has done some test and insisted I should see a doctor.

When I got to the doctor for my results and probably to start up treatment, the doctor was in his office, strangely he stood up and hugged me warmly. I was like could it be because of my new hairdo or makeover?

I wasn't moved until he keep talking as if he wanted to tell me that I failed an exams. Curiosity were all over me until he finally told me that I have the deadly virus.(HIV)

The gum I was chewing just fell off my mouth, I started sweating on my palms and nose. I held the chair firmly for support but was almost dead.

He told me that it was for my best interest to know now than later when I might come down with bigger signs and symptoms.

I have lost weight.

In simple answer, NO. The test is called "voluntary counseling and testing (VCT)", and what it means is that pre-and post-counseling and testing itself are voluntary. I am not surprised about some comments to your question here, everyone has an opinion to what he or she knows nothing about. Well, I would advice your friend to go for a confirmatory test and if it comes out positive, I guess there are some centres in Bayelsa where she can receive adequate care. However, HIV does not kill, it is the ignorance, stereotypes, discrimination and stigma that kill.

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Dr9ce(m): 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ever heard of provider initiated testing and counselling? ( PITC). It is a more recent development than VCT. Note that "testing" comes before 'counselling' .It is initiated in highly suspicious cases.

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ebony2011(m): 3:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
Lab investigations are necessary in medical diagnosis. so the doc is not wrong in that case.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ocheejemb: 3:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
I don't know but if you go to a hospital with symptoms of Malaria, and the Doctor's decides to test for Typhoid and it turns out that is actually what you have...has the Doctor not done his job properly? It's the Doctor's duty to her and to the population to let her know her status ASAP.

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by thunder74(m): 3:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
Babaneh:
Basically i think they should test u on request except u donated ur blood for some one else to use; in that case they dont need your consent to scrutinize the virus in your blood before usage..

She made the request by submitting herself to be tested and the doctor said "we need to run some tests" and when she heard that what test was she expecting? Biology or Maths test? Some samples were taken from her virginal and guess some of her complains to the doctor already suggested to the doctor she is infected with the virus.

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Onegai(f): 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
In Lagos, once you register for ante-natal, they run it without telling you. I was told upon my OBGYN reviewing my test results for what they said was routine blood work to ascertain my genotype and blood group "so no HIV that's good... "

embarassed

I heard it's because a lot of people refuse the test even though HIV is suspected. I heard of a naval woman who kept denying and refusing it and went ahead to marry and try for a baby.

3 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by IYANGBALI: 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:
the thing no dey happen to dem,every time na their friends or family members. Nairalanders and their yeye lies. *runs out of the thread and covers myself with the blood of Jesus against infection* Seun pls wear condoms for this thread and Nairaland as a whole,else you won't see me here again

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
You will see a full blown adult, when you ask them about y heir status you will hearing shiites like

"I will do it when I am about to get married"
"I trust my gf/bf"
"I dey fear abeg"
"I don look sick na, I am fine"
"I hardly have unprotected sex"

Na that kind people I dey fear pass, o boy, I dey tear race grin grin grin grin grin
EM I KE, LYN PE NONI. EVEN SMALL BOIL WEY GROW FOR KPEKUS DEY MAKE MY MIND FLY.SINCE WEY I HER SAY VEGGIES CAN HELP REDUCE THE RISK OF CANCER, I DON TURN TO GOAT. I DEY CHOP ANY LEAF WEY I SEE.WHO WON DIE EARLY? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

...tell your friend to go for another hiv test in another hospital,if still positive she should follow every instruction.people with the virus can still live an healthy life.she should live a happy life.wish her all the best.

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by IYANGBALI: 3:16pm On Mar 18, 2015
bestestgirl:
Hian! this one is strong
na cow skin,ponmo
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by ecel: 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
Do you wish to buy your favourites from United Kingdom? We have made shopping from UK easy. Register for free UK shopping address. You can buy your favourites directly with your debit card and have your shopping delivered to us. We will weight your total bags put together and send to your international addresses. We only charge a little commission.

If you choose to get customers for us by being our affiliate, you can make £1500 per month.

Go to Shop2me UK Limited
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Evina(f): 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

That was the point I raised w with a friend but he told me since the girl came for STD (sexually transmitted disease) test of which HIV test is included, he (doctor) reserve the right to go ahead.

Oh! So you mean she actually went to test for STI's and she is mad that she got tested for HIV?

Her anger is misplaced. She is mad at herself and scared for her future, but doesn't know how to handle. So she feels the need to direct her anger towards the doctor who was just doing his job.

Encourage her to be brave! Contracting HIV is not the end of the world. If managed properly, she can achieve her dreams and still get married. Let her start NOW, the process of confronting her fears.

6 Likes

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by texalux(m): 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2015
My sister enjoy urself jor don't kill urself b4 d day! My advice 4 u is to vote 4 Buhari come march 28 all will be well!

1 Like

Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by NobleG1(m): 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2015
kenonze:

I have lost weight.

You're annoyed the doctor checked for HIV and found it's possitive? Try check your head.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
Depends on the law in the particular counbtry. I know of some countries where its compulsory and the patient wontbe consulted b4 test is carried out: in the case of pregnant women and drug users. But on a normal day, d doctor has no right to test u without ur consent
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by deletrue: 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
DeCritique:
Hian!!

She should run another test in a reputable hospital and not a clinic before coming to a conclusion.

The doctor did what he thought was humane even though it may not be within the tenets of his practice rules.

She was lucky self... Others may just look at her with pity and show an "I no send sha" face. But she was lucky before it becomes too late.

=>Take another test in a reputable hospital
=>Wait for results
=>If it turns out negative, retake test in another reputable hospital just to be sure.
=>If positive, begin taking the necessary drugs.
=>Most importantly, please don't share to others.

Thank You!!
How I wish you can give that advice: please do not share to others in a more polite way. If you ask her when and how does she come about getting it honestly, she will never know who gave it to her. I was told hiv can be contacted through many ways. I mean you should have appealled to her and NOT, please do not share to another just like that.
Re: My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test! by kandiikane(m): 3:23pm On Mar 18, 2015
I don't get it, you said you went to get tested, what did you think they were going to test you for, malaria and typhoid? Is it that they did not take blood sample or what? Go to a hospital and get tested again. You should not stress, just wait for the other result. Hiv is not the death sentence it was anymore. You just need to change your lifestyle as in the things you eat, drink, stop smoking. I am sure a good hospital can give you the right advice on what to do next if the results are truly positive.

People really need to use condoms.. I don't understand how people can just have sex without making the effort of putting on condom. Women should be carrying condoms with them, if the guy say he nor have, bring out yours. People put themselves in danger all the time.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / Asthmatic Patient Killed By Refuse At Douglas Road Owerri - Facebook User (Pics) / HIV Couples Give Birth To 72 Negative Babies In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.