Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,266 members, 7,954,036 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:15 AM

Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: (763 Views)

TB Joshua: Murder In The Church By FFK (Part 1) / Nigerians React To Bridget Patience Agbaheme's Murder In Kano Over "Blasphemy" / Remi Tinubu Meets Wives Of Army, Naval, Air Force And Police Officers (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 12:42am On Mar 19, 2015
Sometime in 2011, my cousin was stabbed 2 times in an altercation in Enugu. He was rushed to the hospital. On getting to the hospital, they refused t touch him until a police report was gotten. By the time the almighty police report was eventually gotten, he had bled out and was in a state of shock. All attempts to bring him back failed. That was how we lost him.

In october 2014, a friend of mine in Abuja was attacked by armed robbers.
During the struggle, he was shot 4 times. After the robbers left, he was quickly rushed to a hospital by his mom and siblings.
On getting to the hospital, they demanded a police report. Someone has been shot four times and bleeding profusely but the hospital insisted on police report and refused to start up treatment till the police report was gotten.
Well, to cut the long story short, the police report was eventually gotten 4 hours later and on bringing him back to the hospital, he had already lost so much blood and died.

Yesterday, news of Aisha's brutal death inundated the internet. According to what i read, she fought for her life and survived the stabbing only to be let down by our health system and POLICE REPORT. The hospital she was rushed to refused to attend to her until a police report is gotten.

I don't know Aisha personally but my friends were below 30 years of age.. Their lives was cut short in its prime and nothing can bring it back. My cousin was a medical student in UNTH (university of Nigeria teaching hospital), my friend graduated from UNN in 2012 and only finished his service in 2014...
Their deaths was avoidable but of course, you have no right to live unless you have a police report.

I want to understand the rationale behind the "police report law"?
Hundreds, if not thousands of people have lost their lives as a result of this draconian and unnecessary police report law and i am sure most of us have been affected one way or another.

Feel free to share your police report stories and hopefully, the law makers will have in this country will not fail us one more time.

http://spankthedonut..com/2015/03/police-report-is-worth-more-than-your.html#more
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by PapaBrowne(m): 12:59am On Mar 19, 2015
Lets take this up with the next national assembly and make sure a law is passed to stop the nonsense.

Trust me we can do it. We just need to organise ourselves and get a few senators and House of Reppers to push it.

God saved my Brother'"s life recently because he knew the owner of the hospital and called him up while he was bleeding profusely after robbers shot him. The nurses on duty were asking for police report. Its just sad how Nigeria has become so much of a debased society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by yomi007k(m): 12:59am On Mar 19, 2015
Booking
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by aresa: 1:04am On Mar 19, 2015
Another reason why we need and must gave state police. Our lives shouldn't be in the hands of ignorant people, illiterate and thoughtless people...
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 19, 2015
PapaBrowne:
Lets take this up with the next national assembly and make sure a law is passed to stop the nonsense.

Trust me we can do it. We just need to organise ourselves and get a few senators and House of Reppers to push it.

God saved my Brother'"s life recently because he knew the owner of the hospital and called him up while he was bleeding profusely after robbers shot him. The nurses on duty were asking for police report. Its just sad how Nigeria has become so much of a debased society.

as in ehhh... i remember the last time i saw my cousin. it was december 2010.
sometimes i wonder where he is now. his death was very very avoidable.

i will support any movement that will bring to halt this rubbish!!
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:05am On Mar 19, 2015
aresa:
Another reason why we need and must gave state police. Our lives shouldn't be in the hands of ignorant people, illiterate and thoughtless people...

how will state police be the solution to this??

1 Like

Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Tallesty1(m): 1:19am On Mar 19, 2015
Honestly it is annoying.

I think the best would have been to admit the patient first, give him treatment then call the police but the reverse is the case.

Those ugly heavy nurses use the police report thingy to cover up their laziness, I just wonder how they can sit and watch a dying man writhe in pain simply because he hasn't got a police report.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by aresa: 1:21am On Mar 19, 2015
icebeatz:

how will state police be the solution to this??

State police enforces laws passed by states based on their needs from safety and security concerns to health care and so on.

This inhumane, unjust, deadly and thoughtless law is national, it's a blanket policy that Nigerians in every corner of Nigeria can not escape, but with state laws and police, my state or your state doesn't have to go along with such polices.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 19, 2015
aresa:

State police enforces laws passed by states based on their needs from safety and security concerns to health care and so on.

This inhumane, unjust, deadly and thoughtless law is national, it's a blanket policy that Nigerians in every corner of Nigeria can not escape, but with state laws and police, my state or your state doesn't have to go along with such polices.

makes some sense.
but i think the solution will be to countermand the law.
Then make it a punishable offense for hospitals to reject gunshot and trauma patients.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by slimfit1(m): 1:30am On Mar 19, 2015
Maybe we should all apply or buy police report put for house or tell the thieves to issue you one. Its not funny but please let the thieves know that you don't have police report before they discharge bullet.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by dokyOloye: 1:31am On Mar 19, 2015
There is no law preventing a hospital from admitting and treating gunshot or stab injury patients.
The hospital is however enjoined to report to d nearest police station in case of suspicion.
I nearly wept on hearing that d lady that was stabbed in Lagos was rejected in 2 hospitals cos as far back as 10yrs ago when I was still a student,what I just explained was boldly pasted on d casualty notice board.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by slimfit1(m): 1:33am On Mar 19, 2015
dokyOloye:
There is no law preventing a hospital from admitting and treating gunshot or stab injury patients.
The hospital is however enjoined to report to d nearest police station in case of suspicion.
I nearly wept on hearing that d lady that was stabbed in Lagos was rejected in 2 hospitals cos as far back as 10yrs ago when I was still a student,what I just explained was boldly pasted on d casualty notice board.

No the hospital should be closed down for failing to protect life even if the patient was a thief.
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 19, 2015
dokyOloye:

You know how nigeria is.
Unless there is a well publicised law prohibiting hospitals from rejecting stab and gunshot wounds, I dare say the trend will continue.

Its high time we make our voices heard.
There should be a law prohibiting hospitals from rejecting trauma patients
Re: Hospitals And Police Committing Murder In Nigeria:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by francizy(m): 9:17am On Mar 19, 2015
I kept thinking this tho. Why can't the hospital attend to an emergency and while they are on it, a staff picks up a phone to call one of the useless "men in black" to come to the hospital and take the report himself/herself.

The "men in black" ain't worth entrusting our lives with. They should just cancel that report before treatment barbaric act.

**modified**
I see some people here going off point. We're talking about cancelling a useless protocol and someone is talking about state police as if with state police and the useless protocol, people won't still die on daily basis. SmH

(1) (Reply)

PDP SIMPLE WINNING TACTICS/FORMULAR -PICTURE / What It Will Be Like For Buhari And Tinubu After Elections (pics) / Nigerians Vote In First Genuine Contest Since End Of Dictatorship.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.