Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Fashola Shuts Aswani Market - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Shuts Aswani Market (10872 Views)

PENGASSAN Shuts Down PPPRA Offices Over Appointment Issues (Photo) / El-Rufai Shuts Down 2 Churches, Seminary, Church Hospital / FG Shuts Ascon, Integrated, Mobil, Oando, Sahara, Others Over Oil Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by donugapi(m): 6:01pm On Jan 23, 2009
So many of these arguments are silly. Truth is that most of those traders actually have other places/shops where they sell. That market only operates on tuesdays and they come there on such days and go selling at their other locations during the rest of the week. If people think their lives are finished cos they've been stopped from selling goods on the express then that's a very stupid way to reason. They were given warnings before hand and they chose not to heed to the warnings.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by youngmonie: 6:10pm On Jan 23, 2009
i fink hezz doing a good job, looking at it from the economic angle, these markets are adding to the cost of the government, and dey are in no way paying taxes. This increases Government spending on these areas, rather than profitable areas. The best solution is to send pppl back to ther home sate. If u dnt have a proper job in which u are paying taxes in LAGOS. Go back to ur home state. , only if u ready to pay taxes as a market trader den u can stay
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 23, 2009
texazzpete:

So you don't think that your statement
'does she sleep with Fashola or does she secretly record every statement he makes?'
can be construed as an insult to his mother, abi?

o boy, there's a difference between a question and a statement.
i asked a passive question which does not require an answer.

now lets assume the statement i made was disrespectful are you then going to turn a blind eyeto  his response in reference to my my mother? mind you, your post came after his comments about my mum. since he made that statement till now i am yet to see a post directed at him about this.

as a hypocrite, i wouldnt expect that to happen. i dont even expect it to happen anyways. keep your explanation to your explanation homie.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 23, 2009
Most of these illegal structures are one of the reasons Lagos is a dirty as it is. I don't see anything wrong with what he did.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 23, 2009
The so called illegal structures have been there for ages and the same govt allowed it only to wake up and demolish them overnight

The previous government allowed it because like most things that get overlooked in Nigeria it was not something to be concerned about. This is a different government.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by walexng(f): 7:10pm On Jan 23, 2009
The best in recent time is Fashola's administration,we'll all benefit from all this hardship in no time,let's endure,
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by tpia: 7:58pm On Jan 23, 2009
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by aieromon(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2009
wrong is wrong!!

u sell your wares along major roads because you cannot afford to rent a shop and when the govt comes around to say that you are in the wrong,you have

the guts to request for a shop.it's times like this that i wish Idiagbon stayed long enough for him to instill fear(his version of discipline) in our mindset.

Fashola has plans for a mega city and i personally don't give a Bleep if anybody in the wrong is cleared out.i want a new Lagos,a city that will be

comparable to Abuja in terms of landscaping and aesthetics.

"To those who cling to lawlessness through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that

Gov. Fashola and I will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by felifeli: 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2009
I am quite flabbergasted by this thread !!
Some mischief maker comes to this silly forum to present false information and you are all debating it with so much vigour. Is this the result of unemployment ?

I passed by Aswani market yesterday and I did not see a single policeman stationed there, and the main market was intact and people doing business as usual; so which part of Aswani market was demolished ? Again look at the last line of the purported news story :
"The traders, according to THISDAY sources, had been  ordered earlier, to vacate the section under the bridge and around the rail line"
This reporter must be on some bad Valium trip because the nearest  rail line to Aswani Market is half a mile away in Oshodi  !!

As for the fool who claimed Fashola is trying to get rid of non-indigenes ,which non-indigenes are you talking about ? In which case Yorubas (Ijebu, Egba, Ibadan, Ijesha, Ekiti etc ) who are not Lagosians should also be afraid isn't that right ? And in case you fools don't know Fashola is not an indigenous Lagos name , but that did not stop him becoming the Governor did it ? I wish all you rumour peddlars should crawl out of your wet holes and get a proper life.

Again I say this is the silliest  forum that I have ever seen in my entire life, and most of the posters here should actually be in mental hospitals
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by osisi2(f): 10:15pm On Jan 23, 2009
I think he's doing the right thing. The govt'll probably relocate the traders.
Here's a good lesson for all the people who come to lagos with hopes of making it.
If you can't afford to live in lagos go back home.
Most of the problems in lagos are caused by non-residents in lagos
Street hawking, northern beggars, most flea market operators e.t.c
Lagos state is carrying the burden for the entire nation.

If you can't afford to live in lagos doing a decent and legal job, go the F!UCK back to your home state

This is the most stupid response on this thread.
The writer A- Town or whatever he's called ought to go drink in the Lagos lagoon until his belly bursts open
Who are these so called residents of Lagos?
Is the wealth of Lagos from the "residents" alone?
How many of the who's who living VGC and Lekki have great grandfathers originally from Lagos?
Nonsense!
Who gives you the right to decide who lives or does not live in Lagos
And you're the same individual that'll cry one Nigeria when a group cries out for secession.
Anumanu!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Eziachi: 11:04pm On Jan 23, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

What Jobless? Were they supposed to be there in the first place??

What is wrong with people? I mean if they do. . . you complain. If they don't do, you complain.  angry angry

If you have a perfect plan, please let's hear it ooooh. . . internet experts.

Besides they are moving them to where there are supposed to be. . . the real market not on the freaking roadside.

Well Sis Big brain, I will guess you're daddy's little princess, whose every need is taken care of, went to the best school, probabaly got the best of job without trying, so to you life is just pot puri, that is why you are asking whether they are suppose to be there in the first place but you failed to tell us where they suppose to be in the first place.

I am not anti improvement or anti mega city but mega city without human being are called ghost city. Nigerian leader past and present are hooked on knee jerk action without first think of the consequencies. You went to market the very poor in the society ecke our a living and not only sck them in an instant by destroy their ware without an alternative. You don't have to guess that there will be a widow of probably with 8 children with no help, that their livelihood run day by day from what she can make from that market and now a cushion governor trying to build a mega city destroyed it. Tell me what that sort of family will do today, tomorrow and the next day to come with no income and no help from any source.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Eziachi: 11:17pm On Jan 23, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

What Jobless? Were they supposed to be there in the first place??

What is wrong with people? I mean if they do. . . you complain. If they don't do, you complain.  angry angry

If you have a perfect plan, please let's hear it ooooh. . . internet experts.

Besides they are moving them to where there are supposed to be. . . the real market not on the freaking roadside.

Well Sis Big brain, I will guess you're daddy's little princess, whose every need is taken care of, went to the best school, probably got the best of job without trying, so to you life is just pot pouri, that is why you are asking whether they are suppose to be there in the first place but you failed to tell us where they suppose to be in the first place?

I am not anti improvement or anti mega city but mega city without living human beings are called ghost city.
Nigerian leaders past and present are hooked on knee jerk actions, they never first think of the consequencies of their action. They always forgot that no matter how good intend you are, if your action create more poverty, it not worth pursueing.
They went to market where the very poor of the society eke out their living and not only sack them in an instant but destroying their ware without first providing an alternative.  
You don't have to guess that there will be a widow of probably with 8 children with no help there, whose livelihood run day by day from what she can make from that market and now a well cushioned governor living in free rent house called govt house had destroyed her life and that of her kids in an instant without warning or assistant.

Tell me what that sort of family will do today, tomorrow and the next day to come with no income and no help from any source?

The same way they banned Okada overnight without thinking what those people will do for a living and still be expected to pay their taxes, obey the law and be good citizen. Without knowing that they are creating more problem with their knee jerk policies.
The result of polices like this is always prostitution, criminality like armed robbery and burglary, depression that can lead to suicides all in the name of building a mega city.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Eziachi: 11:24pm On Jan 23, 2009
bawomolo:

are those structures illegal or not?

The question should be, if something is termed illegal, where was the legal one?
Has anyone been collecting rent/tax from the so called illegal strucrures and can govt then refund the illegal tax she collected from illegal structures?

In the United Kingdom, if you leave your property empty and unoccupied and a homeless person managed to gain access into the property and reside as a squater, it's not as easy as abc to just turn up and ask the person vacate, so even a squater has a right.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by joobreel(m): 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2009
BRF! carry go. eko oni baje
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by lailai2(m): 12:50am On Jan 24, 2009
i'm with fashola
it should be noted that there will always be divided opinions but he best forge ahead with his plans. . . .no matter how hard u try, you can't please everybody
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Kobojunkie: 12:54am On Jan 24, 2009
Eziachi:

The question should be, if something is termed illegal, where was the legal one?
Has anyone been collect rent/tax poll tax from the illegal and can govt then refund the illegal tax collected from illegal structures?

In the United Kingdom, if you leave your property empty and a homeless managed to gain access to the property as a squater, is not as easy as abc to just turn up and ask the person vacate, so even a squater has a right.

I was so going to post that but said NO need. lol

It so happens that in Lagos there is a similar law. So If these "ILLEGAL" structures have been allowed to exist for so long, I wonder what the legal ramifications of the governor's actions are. lol . Where are the "REAL" Lawyers in the house? And I am not calling for MAKE BELIEVE lawyers to response to my post with nonsense ramblings ooo!! lol
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by faffy001: 3:32am On Jan 24, 2009
Views differ, but i believe the guvnor is in the right.
I understand also that the actions are hard on those affected but irrespective of how hard the actions might seem, let's set aside sentiments and try to stand for exactly what's right.

Those demolished sites were never markets, are not,  and never will be markets, even if some folks once set up
their wares there illegally.
All demolished sites are illegal, and that's it!!!, let's embrace change for the better.

To be sincere, the govt is fair enough, if they should go full length wit d law, it wouldn't stop at expunging alone, the perpetrators of such "illegal acts" would also be charged to court, so please let's allow Lagos get better, thanks
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by hubreality(m): 11:48am On Jan 24, 2009
This is just the beginning. No sentiments attached, the governor and his team are doing pretty good job. You should try to see the end from the beginning. Other things will follow properly. Discipline and Orderliness should be encouraged.

He did that in computer village, today people in there are happy seeing the market in a more organized and secured atmosphere. No more nasty embarrassments of area boys, their oga's office was brought down and other good developments in there.

As for the displaced by law. It's not the end of the world, no need to keep complaining but they should use their heads to keep going rightly. He's not wicked in any form. I believe he has good plans for the state and will implement them accordingly with time.

God bless Nigeria, God bless Lagos state, God bless our able governor with more abilities in Jesus Name, Amen.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by aieromon(m): 12:13pm On Jan 24, 2009
felifeli:

I am quite flabbergasted by this thread !!
Again I say this is the silliest  forum that I have ever seen in my entire life, and most of the posters here should actually be in mental hospitals

i know you ain't talking about me,so i forgive you for your SILLY statements.

you should know that there are two sides to a coin so i respect people who have an opinion different from mine as long as they can articulate their views.

the question i want you to answer is whether you are in support of Fashola's policies for a mega city.

can you do that without insulting the intelligence of the esteemed posters in this forum?

once again,i accept your apologies cool
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by mosopefolu(m): 2:09pm On Jan 24, 2009
RE-OMO IBO, HOW WIL SHE B SO SURE DT GOV. FASHOLA WNTS 2REMOVE LAGOS STATE NON INDIGOS 4RM D STATE. DOES LAGOS STATE REALY HAVE INDIGENS?ITS JST DT MARKETS CLOSURE N LAG. WL MAKE MISCREANTS N SOCIAL VICERS INCREASE 2AN UNCONTROLABLE LEVEL.SO WORKERS ESP. BANKERS SHLD B MORE CAREFUL cry
\
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by bawomolo(m): 7:04pm On Jan 24, 2009
You are correct we are always the target!!! even when NDLEA started destroying fake drugs we (Igbos) were the target. And they will not stop targeting us until we stop indulging on illegalities. Biko

wow Nigerians would bring tribalism into every issue? this is similar to black americans screaming racism when black drug dealers are arrested. na wa o. are you animals just plain resistant to civillization. Is it the responsibility of government to compensate people for their illegal proceeds.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by JJYOU: 7:08pm On Jan 24, 2009
bawomolo:

wow Nigerians would bring tribalism into every issue? this is similar to black americans screaming racism when black drug dealers are arrested. na wa o. are you animals just plain resistant to civillization. Is it the responsibility of government to compensate people for their illegal proceeds.
i bet when they start removing the road side traders in benin you guys will be here shouting ibos are always the target like it is your human right to trade outside desinated places.

nigerians = tribalists
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Chetachuku(m): 7:18pm On Jan 24, 2009
hubreality:

This is just the beginning. No sentiments attached, the governor and his team are doing pretty good job. You should try to see the end from the beginning. Other things will follow properly. Discipline and Orderliness should be encouraged.
He did that in computer village, today people in there are happy seeing the market in a more organized and secured atmosphere. No more nasty embarrassments of area boys, their oga's office was brought down and other good developments in there.

As for the displaced by law. It's not the end of the world, no need to keep complaining but they should use their heads to keep going rightly. He's not wicked in any form. I believe he has good plans for the state and will implement them accordingly with time.

God bless Nigeria, God bless Lagos state, God bless our able governor with more abilities in Jesus Name, Amen.

The governor may have good intentions. I hope it will not be the type of good intentions El-Rufai had during his days as Abuja minister. Taking one's land for another. God save us!!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by bawomolo(m): 7:27pm On Jan 24, 2009
JJYOU:

i bet when they start removing the road side traders in benin  you guys will be here shouting ibos are always the target like it is your human right to trade outside desinated places.

nigerians = tribalists

true talk, i mean what's bad with orderliness and been lawfull.  people seem to forget cities like Chicago and New York were once urban ghettos until drastic actions like this were taken.  Didn't China have to destroy some houses in preparation for the Beijing Olympics.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by JJYOU: 7:37pm On Jan 24, 2009
bawomolo:

true talk, i mean what's bad with orderliness and been lawless. people seem to forget cities like Chicago and New York were once urban ghettos until drastic actions like this were taken. Didn't China have to destroy some houses in preparation for the Beijing Olympics.
same is happening for the london olympics and it happened when they started developing the docklands in london too. in nigeria you have to put every tribe on the football field. every tribe has its own minister and commissioner. that is why nothing work.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by olaremint(m): 10:45pm On Jan 24, 2009
Lagos when the colonialists left was a fantasy land but after became one of the dirtiest places on earth and if not the most disorganized, change always bring hard and sometimes painful conditions, but sometimes it is better to do a little evil to get a better good, EKO O NI BAJE. lest i forget, people can survive in other states, nobody has the right to die in Lagos, if you cant take the heat, leave the kitchen.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by rancetech(m): 12:45am On Jan 25, 2009
Those who are in support of Gov. Fash are those who aren't affected in any means including their relatives. Cos if they were to be, they wouldn't praise him.
He's doing a good job quite alright but the problem I'm just having which has made me sleepless is the people who are loosing their trades, jobs, whatever.

Shouldn't there be a better way to tackle these problems?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by tayo4me(f): 1:05am On Jan 25, 2009
Let's call a spade a spade, those structures are illegal and need to be brought down. The government does not need to compensate people in situations like this, dont know why it's so difficult for some people to undastand, FASHOLA carry go jare!!!!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by romeo(m): 1:43pm On Jan 25, 2009
bawomolo:

wow Nigerians would bring tribalism into every issue? this is similar to black americans screaming racism when black drug dealers are arrested. na wa o.  are you animals just plain resistant to civillization.  Is it the responsibility of government to compensate people for their illegal proceeds.

You can't even use ur head to think? The person that u responded to is from your tribe.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by romeo(m): 1:57pm On Jan 25, 2009
larez:

cheesy cheesy cheesy Hahahahahaha. Tpia, Na so ohh. People like that can never see anything good in anything that isn't Igbo. They are the same ones who yab that Lagos and Yoruba people are very dirty. They are the same ones who use 'curled', when they should use 'culled'. I hope I don't come across too many of their posts before I begin to think like them and start detesting Igbo. Good eye Sista, I had ignored it, but glad you mentioned.

Off Topic:

Honestly, I am getting very tired of these Biafra touting boys who insult every tribe and are always the first to cry foul. Leave our Governor alone to do his job. There is yet to be any talk of Yoruba people being separated from the others as these areas are being cleaned up. Stop the tribalistic nonsense and leave all the people who love Lagos to worry about the welfare of Lagos.

"Eko o ni baje!!! Ko le baje layi layi. Awa la ma fi owo wa tun se fun ara wa"

The person that wrote "curled" intead of "culled" is Yoruba boy called Damola. You ignored his name and rained abuses on Igbo people. He did not mention any ethnicity in his post to suggest he's Igbo or even Yoruba but you were warming up all day waiting for that chance to jumb on Igbo bashing band wagon.

Are you educated at all? At your age you should know better.

A topic that did not say "Igbo people" or anything close to that became another Igbo bashing thread by educated illiterates we have all over here.
If you you are tired of Biafra you know what to do! bunch of inepts.

You're so foolish!! An architect that did houses for top celebrities in USA is here asking Nairaland members if he can break into Nigerian market undecided undecided Are you sure u did any house at all for anybody there in the US?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by topkin(m): 9:00pm On Jan 25, 2009
I feel really sorry 4 them but I guess nothing good comes easy. It's high time someone did these cleansing.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 9:13am On Jan 26, 2009
If any of my relations decided to trade in illegal stalls, he's very much on his own!

For the noisemakers spitting trash - alternative- bla bla bla, read this:

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=75732

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. / Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland / Poor Economy Will Destroy Buhari’s Reign – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.