Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

Fashola Shuts Aswani Market - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Shuts Aswani Market (10873 Views)

PENGASSAN Shuts Down PPPRA Offices Over Appointment Issues (Photo) / El-Rufai Shuts Down 2 Churches, Seminary, Church Hospital / FG Shuts Ascon, Integrated, Mobil, Oando, Sahara, Others Over Oil Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by thetruth90: 11:02am On Jan 23, 2009
too_soon:

You are correct we are always the target!!! even when NDLEA started destroying fake drugs we (Igbos) were the target. And they will not stop targeting us until we stop indulging on illegalities. Biko

i think it is high time the igbos stop their cunning ways. because they are the most cunny of all tribes in the world is the simple reason nobody wishes to see them in their midst or associate with them. indulge in illegalities, the jails are not too congested to accomodate you.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by ow11(m): 11:11am On Jan 23, 2009
A-town:

What is separatist about my comment. It's the truth.
Why should Lagos state have to pay for the North's mistakes (sharia - cutting off hands and turning people to beggars in lagos)?
Why should lagos have to deal with illegal structures simply because people came from other states looking for greener pastures?
Do you know the number of people who complain about health care in lagos state? 90% are not even from lagos and they keep complaining. Most evade taxes and get medical care at the expense of the state govt.
Do you know how many non-lagosians go to lagos state owned tertiary institutions and pay the same rates as lagosians.

Bringing out this points might make it seem separtist but it isn't.
When people start whining, then you have to bring out facts.

The structures are illegal. ILLLLLEEEEEGAALLLLL.
We always seem to look at the western world and always ignore our own.
There are threads urging people to leave the U.S and U.K if things are bad, that people should stop washing plates and all.
Guess what, the same applies in lagos

If you have to survive by errecting illegal stalls in Lagos, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS IN LAGOS.
Everyone is welcome to Lagos provided they comply with the Laws and regulation of the state.

What do you mean by non-Lagosian? That my friend is being separatist. Are you saying only 'non-Lagosians' were affected by the action of the governor?

Was Lagos built by the funds and sweat of only 'Lagosians'? I guess not so why do you then turn around and start blabbing about non-Lagosians. Was the Lagos state owned univerisity built entirely by internally generated funds? Or did it deep into Federal allocation which Lagos contributes so little towards?

Equating Nigerians in the US with Nigerians in Lagos is absurd. Nigerians in Lagos are in Nigeria and are there because the FG has over the years concentrated developmental facilities in the capital and ignored the rest of the country.

Back to the issue:

The structures are Illegal but I do not agree with wanton destruction without any provision for a new environment using the same reasons why some countries grant amnesty to illegal immigrants that have been living in the country for a long while. The govt. should be sensitive to the needs of people and provided another place for the traders to move before destroying the stalls. I do not think it makes any sense to compensate any one that refused to move his goods to the new market after the expiration of the deadline to move.BUT IF HE DID,THEN THE TRADERS ONLY HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME FOR THEIR LOSS
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 11:19am On Jan 23, 2009
For those who claimed Fashola should've started his cleansing from the top, should solve NEPA/PHCN problems etc. What a thought!!! Is Fashola the Federal Govt Is he in the position to rid the Country of corrupt people His jurisdiction is Lagos and the man is doing great kiss Moreover, PHCN is Federal Govt's problem and not that of Fashola. Please lets ensure we think deep be4 posting.

For those who feel he's doing his work b/cos he wants to rid Lagos of non-indegene. May the good Lord shed light into your darkened mind. Amen. Please mind you, the man is not going to rid Lagos of Non-indegene but those who are not supposed to be in Lagos in the first instance.

I wonder how God cope with we human beings b/cos nothing satisfies us. With all the good things Jesus did (sorry for bringing this in), people still accused him of NOTHING and ensured He was killed. What a World!!! Fashola refuses to run abroad with your money, goes to his office on time and closes latter than official closing hour, actively involve in ensuring contractors finishes their tasks on time. Wow! This man is going about doing good and some people are still blind enogh to see his good intention. Will this country ever experience change sad sad

If we have 10 governors like Fashola in this country, how wonderful will it be angry sad embarassed cry
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by toosoon(m): 11:25am On Jan 23, 2009
ow11:

What do you mean by non-Lagosian? That my friend is being separatist. Are you saying only 'non-Lagosians' were affected by the action of the governor?

Was Lagos built by the funds and sweat of only 'Lagosians'? I guess not so why do you then turn around and start blabbing about non-Lagosians. Was the Lagos state owned univerisity built entirely by internally generated funds? Or did it deep into Federal allocation which Lagos contributes so little towards?

Equating Nigerians in the US with Nigerians in Lagos is absurd. Nigerians in Lagos are in Nigeria and are there because the FG has over the years concentrated developmental facilities in the capital and ignored the rest of the country.

The structures are Illegal but I do not agree with wanton destruction without any provision for a new environment using the same reasons why some countries grant amnesty to illegal immigrants that have been living in the country for a long while. The govt. should be sensitive to the needs of people and provided another place for the traders to move before destroying the stalls. I do not think it makes any sense to compensate any one that refused to move his goods to the new market after the expiration of the deadline to move.
There is provision for Aswani Market at OSOLO/ISOLO WAY but they choose to ignore it because they beleive they cannot defeat the battle of change
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by ow11(m): 11:39am On Jan 23, 2009
too_soon:

There is provision for Aswani Market at OSOLO/ISOLO WAY but they choose to ignore it because they beleive they cannot defeat the battle of change

If there is, then that's settled. Any losses should be borne by the traders.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:11pm On Jan 23, 2009
tsk, tsk, tsk,  cool

We citizens of Nigeria make volatile assumptions that begin to take on solid substance which bears little relation to what is on ground, We make baseless comments and attempt to give it some semblance of civility.

Forgive my approach but it is necessary to clear our minds of any bias or cultural leaning when we attempt to rationalize Fashola's actions with regards to "cleaning-up" Lagos and turning it into a model city.

For every geographical space, there is a visible trend that its economy grows at a healthy pace when skilled and unskilled labor moves in to support growing industries.

The result is that over time there is a boom which follows with an attraction of mostly unskilled labor adding to the already swelling ranks of brick-layers, truck-pushers, mai-guards, miscreants, beggars, houseboys and housegirls, prostitutes, thieves, robbers, okada riders, face-me-i-face-you residents, road and rail-side traders and all other wannabe lorry-traveling, jeans and electronics-selling, cd-pirating and fake-drug selling hustlers from all parts of Nigeria.

What has happened is that the proportion of skilled labor to unskilled labor is probably (most-probably) 1-10 against an internal economy that has a budget, has a security issue, has a housing/transport/health/infrastructural issues to deal with.

The proportion of available jobs to the skilled economy is even less favourable .02 jobs- 10 skilled workers (Are you doubting that as well, unless you want to believe there is employment everywhere in Lagos)

We are living in a Lagos where there are soo many people who cannot afford to live in Lagos but decide to stay anyway, they form slum communities, they do not pay tax in any form, they pose all forms of security issues to tax-paying Lagos, they make sure Lagos is always dirty and ready for all manner of diseases and ills. Yet they do not like it that Roads are repaired for the better, Employment schemes are put up to support near-skilled labor (at least beyond O-level) and Transportation problems are being tackled.

In the end, like all Big Cities that promise the Good Life, you must deserve it to live in it. Do you think Living in New York or London na come chop? there are other areas of Lagos where the thick of the poor can go and live reasonable well, Sagamu, Badagary, Ayobo, Agege, Iseri, Shasha, Ikorodu etc. the point is, they should clear the path for modern progress to sift in and give comfort to us who came to Lagos on the backs of Lorries and made a better life for ourselves. no insult intended.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 23, 2009
Who da Bleep said Fashola is trying to rid Lagos State of non-indigenes?

My mom is a Director with the a Lagos State Government Ministry so whoever told you that is fake

Were Yorubas the most affected in the Oshodi clean-out?

We need dcency and order. We cant continue to celebrate lawlessness.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by kazeem4t(m): 12:39pm On Jan 23, 2009
Lets call a spade a spade,an Indian hoe an Indian hoe.
No transformation is possible without formation.
He is reformatting Lagos
I am wit Fash 24/7
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by kazeem4t(m): 12:44pm On Jan 23, 2009
Lets call a spade a spade,an Indian hoe an Indian hoe.
No transformation is possible without formation.
He is reformatting Lagos
I am wit Fash 24/7
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 23, 2009
To all those who have referred to me as a tribalist or think my post has tribalist undertone, please read my post again.

I never at anytime said or suggested that he was going after non-indigenes or igbos. i didnt even blast the governor for santioning the demolition of the stalls with no genuine reason(s). Instead, my opinions were based on comments by a relaible source. if you must know she is friend of mine. Now, if that story was made up then thats her own wahala.

I am all for turning Lagos into a mega city but common sense has to be applied.

You lot are crying foul at my post for unconditional reasons. Make una read and understand before you make comments.

ARABANTA!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by c0274309: 1:11pm On Jan 23, 2009
oluwdashmi:

@ Sisi Jinx
Don't mind them, they want to eat their cake and have it. Later, they will be the one to post pix of dirty roads of Lagos. Now that someone is trying to fix it for them so that they can post cute pix, they will still talk.

@ Omo Ibo
All these tribalists have come again!!

My guys, God bless you 10 times for your statements. Should such things have existed in the first place? As for alternatives hasn't the Lagos trade fair has been in existence for years of which we all know can accommodate these bogus Oshodi traders but to generate 100% profit they decided to establish themselves on public roads and walkways.

See how long they been asking car sellers at Berger along Tin can to move to the trade air (approx 7 years ago) and they've persisted despite parking on the expressway and overhead bridge which is already causing structural damage.

As for the idiots gearing towards tribalism ----- Haba na today!!! They see red and call it blue to justify their lawless nature ---- Pls look for another excuse as Lagos indigenes were amongst the worst hit.

Someone mentioned Lagos Island Markets as well earlier in the forum!! Again na today!! Wasn't Balogun Market cleared------abi Balogun dey Badagry for your eye!! angry

Finally someone is doing something after years of mismanagement and lack of planning yet people complain.

As for those asking the government to make alternatives before clearing these so called illegal traders I ask you

1. Were these so called Oshodi traders born by the Market in the first place or didn’t they relocated there for illegal trading purposes ?

2. Are Lagos illegal markets the only place in Nigeria where people can trade successful and yield good profits. Abi other metropolitans or states no dey naija again?

Despite the large populace living in cities like New York, London, Barcelonia, Johannesburg & even Accra you still don't find market-places as lawless or unplanned as Oshodi; If the available legal Oshodi shops cannot accomodate all traders then it's for the traders to find other legal suitable locations for trade not establish themselves on the road.  

Faithful Govenor abeg carry go !!, I'm based in England but will endeavor to come home and vote for you during the next elections. Finally a bit of sanity in dear Lasgidis. smiley
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by wunmilyn(f): 1:23pm On Jan 23, 2009
farotika:

It never ceases to amaze me how the so-called learned could spill out words that shouldn't even come of the mouth of uneducated but reasonable person.

Is it right and comely for a normal human being to sell his/her wares on express way in the name of poverty

Should we condone people building on the major road simple because people are "ignorant" of it or because some past corrupt officials allowed it after the so-called ignorant bribed them to posses such land

Is it wrong for a governor to distinguish himself from others in other to bring a change to his state and its inhabitants’ living condition

Must every Tom, privates and Harry live in Lagos

Is it wrong for a city like Lagos to be well-organized

Should we always be afraid of change

Can any meaningful change be effected in Lagos without affecting some people in a negative way

Is it by selling on the expressway alone that can ensure one's survival

Gud! I wonder how some people reason sad sad sad

i wonder ooooooooo,
despite all is effort to bring everything back to its normal shape.
yet somebody has the gut to say he is a useless governor. angry  angry
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 1:25pm On Jan 23, 2009
May be 100 of us should go and trade on 3rd mainland bridge and block the road. No problem since we have advocates on nairaland who will make excuses- no alternative, the only means of livelihood - for us.

Funny lots.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by otokx(m): 1:43pm On Jan 23, 2009
Fashola carry go
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by omofola(f): 1:54pm On Jan 23, 2009
My guys, God bless you 10 times for your statements. Should such things have existed in the first place? As for alternatives hasn't the Lagos trade fair has been in existence for years of which we all know can accommodate these bogus Oshodi traders but to generate 100% profit they decided to establish themselves on public roads and walkways.

See how long they been asking car sellers at Berger along Tin can to move to the trade air (approx 7 years ago) and they've persisted despite parking on the expressway and overhead bridge which is already causing structural damage.

As for the idiots gearing towards tribalism ----- Haba na today!!! They see red and call it blue to justify their lawless nature ---- Pls look for another excuse as Lagos indigenes were amongst the worst hit.

Someone mentioned Lagos Island Markets as well earlier in the forum!! Again na today!! Wasn't Balogun Market cleared------abi Balogun dey Badagry for your eye!! Angry

Finally someone is doing something after years of mismanagement and lack of planning yet people complain.

As for those asking the government to make alternatives before clearing these so called illegal traders I ask you

1. Were these so called Oshodi traders born by the Market in the first place or didn’t they relocated there for illegal trading purposes ?

2. Are Lagos illegal markets the only place in Nigeria where people can trade successful and yield good profits. Abi other metropolitans or states no dey naija again?

Despite the large populace living in cities like New York, London, Barcelonia, Johannesburg & even Accra you still don't find market-places as lawless or unplanned as Oshodi; If the available legal Oshodi shops cannot accomodate all traders then it's for the traders to find other legal suitable locations for trade not establish themselves on the road.

Faithful Govenor abeg carry go !!, I'm based in England but will endeavor to come home and vote for you during the next elections. Finally a bit of sanity in dear Lasgidis. Smiley

Am on your side, Governor fash carry on.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by asha80(m): 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2009
@thetruth90
Your nonsense tribalism knows no bounds.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 23, 2009
OMO IBO:

To all those who have referred to me as a tribalist or think my post has tribalist undertone, please read my post again.

I never at anytime said or suggested that he was going after non-indigenes or igbos. i didnt even blast the governor for santioning the demolition of the stalls with no genuine reason(s). Instead, my opinions were based on comments by a relaible source. if you must know she is friend of mine. Now, if that story was made up then thats her own wahala.

I am all for turning Lagos into a mega city but common sense has to be applied.

You lot are crying foul at my post for unconditional reasons. Make una read and understand before you make comments.

ARABANTA!

My friend keep your mouth shut

You said your source's father is a director in a LASG ministry. Well my mother is a director as well and shut the f**k up! The exercise was targeted at illegality and not ibos or non-Lagosians.

Think before you talk. Were the Oshodi traders displaced predominantly ibo. Your friend's father was never a staff of the LASG. She's either making it up or you are!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by jacobs123(m): 2:19pm On Jan 23, 2009
sometimes you can't but ask where some Nigerians got their education. I see why it's so easy for our leaders to steal and no one questions them.
We've made it easier for the likes of Odili, Alao-Akala, Oyinlola, Yar Adua, Ladoja, Orji Uzor, Achike Udenwa, James Ibori to govern us than men of vision like Fashola. who has questioned those dunces about the allocations they receive(d). it's so easy to do nothing for 8 years!!!

Rotimi Amaechi banned Okadas in PH without any alternative and we are not complaining. I think Fashola has more moral right to ban Okada than Amaeachi given the alternative provided and the risk Okadas pose in Lagos.

Does anyone know that Paris, France was not always like this. It was practically flattened and rebuilt by Napoleon III when he saw how modern London was (some of you should use the internet and educate yourself instead of joining forums and polluting cyberspace!).
Now some of us will sell all our properties to go "see Paris and die". Is it any wonder why African Migrants are the ones that live in most of the dirty places in modern cities around the world?

I grew up in Lagos and still live in Lagos and I'd say that Lagos has no reason being a mega city if not for the indolence of other governors. Why is the oil industry based in Lagos and why haven't other governors been able to attract investors to themselves? I think Lagos is really saying that they can do without some of us. if you think they will miss you, get a transfer to another state and see if they come around to beg you. It is no secret that most public officials steal the money from their state and bring it to Lagos. many of the Former governors still live in Lagos yet we saw George W Bush pack his baggage to Texas a few days back. If you think Lagos has targeted your tribe or state, meet your governor and tell him you are coming back home!!! if you must know I'm not from lagos too.

Infact if I were Fashola, i'ld pack all those Hausa beggars and take them back to Kano, YES!!!
Is there anything wrong with making that guy who wants to leave his village understand he won't be allowed to sell on the road so he should choose another strategy.
I think he's also sending a message to those who enagage in illegality believing they have paid money to some Local government official, they won't be there to save you when the bulldozers come around so think about it.

For those who talk about non-indigeneship, are you aware that OGUN state charges a premium for non-indigenes in their state universities, what have you guys done about it?

I believe we need some decency around. Once again, this man is not perfect but he has to start somewhere and you guys can help with suggestions rather than throwing up fiction.
A good place to start may be letting the Governor know that he's dealing with the indiscipline of the poor, what about the indiscipline of the rich, Sirens, driving against traffic etc, ?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by sola310: 2:25pm On Jan 23, 2009
though is a very painful exercise to some people means of livelihood, we must admit the fact that it is a necessary evil. What is very important is the fact that the plan must be carried to a beneficial and conclusive point. It must not be an abandoned project otherwise he has failed. It is high time Lagos got better. He can do it if we all cooperate.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2009
Dude, there's absolutely no need for you or us to bicker. see ur attitude? cursng and calling me names is not necessary. lets have a discussion or even an arguement without personal attacks.
i stand by my comments based on what i was told by friend whose dad is a director. i repeat that my source is a reliable one. if you want to strangle yourself . . . . . . . . . . . . be my guest.

By the way, what has your mum, a director at the Lagos Stage govt got to do with anyting anyways? does she sleep with Fashola or does she secretly record every statement he makes?

Like i said before and will continue saying, I am in support of lagos being turned into a mega city but 'common sense'  and i repeat 'common sense' must be employed.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by tpia: 2:37pm On Jan 23, 2009
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by montelik(m): 2:42pm On Jan 23, 2009
Aswani market was not shut or demolished.street traders have simply being removed from the areas they were not supposed to occupy as they have a space specifically allocated to them.There was a new market complex constructed by Tinubu's administration some years back after d main market complex was demolished off Osolo way.traders have since being advised to move into d new complex but some refused because of 1) the higher cost of rent. 2) its is more convenient to sell by d road side 3) d nature of goods they sell. I live just down d road from d market and Fashola visited twice before and after he won election(actually passed right in front of my home and stopped to talk to residents).even then he had stated clearly that street trading would no longer be allowed as a new modern complex had been built and he planned on enforcing this directive but many ignored. many warnings have been issued to d traders association but some ignored choosing instead to listen to corrupt local council official assuring them of safety.
In all honesty d rent required for d new complex is probably too high for 75% of d traders. considering d business they conduct.i truly feel sorry for their plight, but the law is the law, and what is black can only be black.if u know it is not profitable to rent a shop in d proper place and chose to carry on your business in an illegal area then u will see whatever u see.poverty is not a crime, but it is also not a license to commit crimes and that may sound unfeeling and harsh but it is d only way forward.i just hope those affected find a way to survive while remain within d confines of what is legal and permissible.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Reptyle(m): 2:44pm On Jan 23, 2009
In recent times, Lagos has been too chaotic and I feel that anyone who is trying to cause change, even if it is only aesthetic, deserves our support. Even the worse of cynics will agree with me that some semblance of order has returned to the metropolis since Fashola began his restoration and beautification activities. I agree with those who feel there's still a lot to be done and from listening to Fashola's numerous speeches, I believe he shares that same opinion. However, there is a need to start from somewhere like he has done. At least he is better than our man at the centre who has a 7-Point Agenda on which he has not even drawn a road-map for meeting any of them almost two years down the line.

Flea markets exist even in the most developed countries of the world but in those climes, they are organized in such a way that they do not obstruct human and vehicular movement or act as a haven for all sort of criminality. You only need to pass through places like Oshodi (pre-demolition of course grin) to know how many man hours are lost in traffic daily due to the illegal trading in the area.

The truth is that there is a working GOVERNMENT in Lagos State and even though I am not an indigene of Lagos, I have lived here for almost all of my life and I am proud of what Fashola and his team have achieved so far.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 23, 2009
OMO IBO:

Dude, there's absolutely no need for you or us to bicker. see ur attitude? cursng and calling me names is not necessary. lets have a discussion or even an arguement without personal attacks.
i stand by my comments based on what i was told by friend whose dad is a director. i repeat that my source is a reliable one. if you want to strangle yourself . . . . . . . . . . . . be my guest.

By the way, what has your mum, a director at the Lagos Stage govt got to do with anyting anyways? does she sleep with Fashola or does she secretly record every statement he makes?
Like i said before and will continue saying, I am in support of lagos being turned into a mega city but 'common sense' and i repeat 'common sense' must be employed.

Choose your words carefully or you'll be sorry

You're an idiot to insinuate that. If your mother sleeps with her boss, dot go thinking every mother is like her. My mother is decent you pig!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 23, 2009
hahahahahahah,
my guy, calm down. the only thing you've sucessfully done is to curse without care. Asides that, you have failed to make any sense.

first, you started by responding to my post without actually reading what i posted. it took me 3 -4 posts to S.P.E.L.L everything out to you before you could (i think) get a hang of what was being said.

secondly, i have a mum whom i respect so much. i will not knowingly disrectpect your mum or anyone's parent. i have gone though my post several times, and i still cant see where i cursed your mum. but guess what, you've gone ahead and said something disrespectful about mine. ko si wahala. mi o binu.

dude, at the age of 31, you should be able to conduct your self in a manner that'd make you look like a mature dude. in this area you have failed woefully.

for future reference son, please read and understand before you spew garbage. if you are not sure, dont be shy to ask for clarification.

se o ti gbo. oloriburuku!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by texazzpete(m): 4:00pm On Jan 23, 2009
OMO IBO:

hahahahahahah,
my guy, calm down. the only thing you've sucessfully done is to curse without care. Asides that, you have failed to make any sense.

first, you started by responding to my post without actually reading what i posted. it took me 3 -4 posts to S.P.E.L.L everything out to you before you could (i think) get a hang of what was being said.

secondly, i have a mum whom i respect so much. i will not knowingly disrectpect your mum or anyone's parent. i have gone though my post several times, and i still cant see where i cursed your mum. but guess what, you've gone ahead and said something disrespectful about mine. ko si wahala. mi o binu.

dude, at the age of 31, you should be able to conduct your self in a manner that'd make you look like a mature dude. in this area you have failed woefully.

for future reference son, please read and understand before you spew garbage. if you are not sure, dont be shy to ask for clarification.

se o ti gbo. oloriburuku!

So you don't think that your statement
'does she sleep with Fashola or does she secretly record every statement he makes?'
can be construed as an insult to his mother, abi?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by bece: 4:16pm On Jan 23, 2009
me i support fashola govt.pls let him get rid of those things abeg.how can people sell under the bridge,on pedestrian bridges and feel its okay.go to countries that are not even as developed as nigeria things are done properly.the fact that all those trash in oshodi are thrown out does not mean families will go hungry.we should all try and support him to bring lagos back to what we hear it use to be.thanks to el-rufai abuja was almost turning to lagos with illegal constructions,but he scattered everythin.i hail gov fashola o
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by cataline: 4:21pm On Jan 23, 2009
I wish people should learn to appreciate when goods things are being done and we should learn to always get their facts rights before saying anything.Fashola gave the traders at oshodi 5 months notice to leave the market and get a better place but they refused.one thing i notice about nigerians is that we are being sentimental about some issues.Is it right that one should trade on the express where they are prone to being hit by a vehicle? or you are passing through oshodi and you are being held up in trafiic for hours because of traders on the road,is that what an ideal society is?

If this traders had met lagos sanitised with proper way of doing things, will they not get alternative means of livelihood.Moreover he said on the news that he was going to compesate those whose wares he destroyed what else do you naija people want.

he wants to repair road you say because your shop dey beside it make dem no do am,yet when you travel out of nigeria to Benin,Cotonou or Ghana you say it is better.

Let's leave sentiments aside and build a better lagos beacuse i believe that ''Eko o ni baje''.Let's support our governor because i believe he has the interest of Lagosians at heart and i believe he will provide low cost shops that the average man can afford just like the way he did with housing for the state workers.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by earTHMama: 4:36pm On Jan 23, 2009
The paramount thing a leader should be concerned about is the welfare of his/her people. A governor that gives no damn for even a soul being jobless in a nation where poverty rate is over 70% is not worth his onions. Nairalanders are yet to separate their sentiments from their logic. The so called illegal structures have been there for ages and the same govt allowed it only to wake up and demolish them overnight. I am not against moving them because the human resources that is being wasted is invaluable. If Fashola continues to destroy markets and close some like this, lagos economy will be hogwash in a matter of months. Todays world is in economic peril and only a foolish leader will be destroying the ones at hand when new ones are yet to come by.
[size=14pt]
Read Obama's words:

"know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy"
[/size]
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by thetruth90: 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2009
asha 80:

@thetruth90
Your nonsense tribalism knows no bounds.

thanks. i ll never deny im a tribalist, and so it ll be as long as nigerians refuse to see themselves as one.

@ earTHMama
Read Obama's words:

"know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy

and is obama God?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by jacobs123(m): 5:10pm On Jan 23, 2009
earTHMama:

The paramount thing a leader should be concerned about is the welfare of his/her people. A governor that gives no damn for even a soul being jobless in a nation where poverty rate is over 70% is not worth his onions. Nairalanders are yet to separate their sentiments from their logic. The so called illegal structures have been there for ages and the same govt allowed it only to wake up and demolish them overnight. I am not against moving them because the human resources that is being wasted is invaluable. If Fashola continues to destroy markets and close some like this, lagos economy will be hogwash in a matter of months. Todays world is in economic peril and only a foolish leader will be destroying the ones at hand when new ones are yet to come by.

whose welfare are we talking about here? Have you read reports of rape and all sorts of shady activities that happen in oshodi? Do you know that street trading is dangerous in so many ways or are we to wait for OBAMA to tell us? Checkout the drainage on new roads in Lagos Island and see what street trading has done to it, compare it with the half-done Ozumba Mbadiwe road where street trading has been banned.
And since welfare is so paramount, should we use the same logic to allow Armed Robbers have their way, afterall they are product of joblessnes?
Do you know that the fact that something has been there for ages doesn't mean it should continue or else your OBAMA that you so proudly quote will not be President today! We are so happy to celebrate foreigners, let's encourage our own stars!
I have had to pass thru Aswani market a few times and if you ask me, they need to just get them out of there. How many people are we talking about in Aswani market and how many people do they incovenience on Tuesdays. I guess they have other places where they sell on other days. They can go there!
We need to start making illegality clear and not just to Aswani market traders but to everyone no matter how highly placed. If they start from poor people, let's tell them they need to visit the Rich too not condemn what they are doing 'cos we have to start somewhere.

By the way, Street Trading and buying from Street Traders are both Illegal in Lagos.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by larez(m): 5:15pm On Jan 23, 2009
earTHMama:

We thank you for your superior knowledge and better understanding. However, I personally believe that your hypocrisy lies in your unrevealed personal issue. Sometimes I wonder what breeds people who think they can bamboozle the whole world and get away with it.  However, I am a Lagosian, and most Lagosians approve of our Governor's moves. We thank you Mama, but you no fit love our town pass us indigents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Interview With Boko Haram's Leader / Army Ready To Defend Unity Of Nigeria – Ihejirika / Ile Kaaro Ojiire (the Yoruba) And Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.