Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Fashola Shuts Aswani Market - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Shuts Aswani Market (10871 Views)

PENGASSAN Shuts Down PPPRA Offices Over Appointment Issues (Photo) / El-Rufai Shuts Down 2 Churches, Seminary, Church Hospital / FG Shuts Ascon, Integrated, Mobil, Oando, Sahara, Others Over Oil Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 10:01am On Jan 26, 2009
olaremint:

Lagos when the colonialists left was a fantasy land but after became one of the dirtiest places on earth and if not the most disorganized, change always bring hard and sometimes painful conditions, but sometimes it is better to do a little evil to get a better good, EKO O NI BAJE. lest i forget, people can survive in other states, nobody has the right to die in Lagos, if you cant take the heat, leave the kitchen.

God bless you my brother. Lets forget about this enemies of progress joo tongue
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 10:09am On Jan 26, 2009
tayo4me:

Let's call a spade a spade, those structures are illegal and need to be brought down. The government does not need to compensate people in situations like this, dont know why it's so difficult for some people to undastand, FASHOLA carry go jare!!!!!

Kari go jare ore mi. Ma da awon olote lohun grin EKO O NI BAJE O; O BAJE TI tongue
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 10:21am On Jan 26, 2009
rancetech:

Those who are in support of Gov. Fash are those who aren't affected in any means including their relatives. Cos if they were to be, they wouldn't praise him.
He's doing a good job quite alright but the problem I'm just having which has made me sleepless is the people who are loosing their trades, jobs, whatever.

Shouldn't there be a better way to tackle these problems?

No sir, we support him cos we want Lagos to progress from dirty, unorganized city to a clean and well-organized one.

Which trades and jobs Stalls mounted on the highway How unreasonable can u possibly be tongue

Lets have ur better plan for Lagos, who knows, Fashola may go for it. undecided
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by oluwdashmi(f): 10:54am On Jan 26, 2009
My guys, God bless you 10 times for your statements. Should such things have existed in the first place? As for alternatives hasn't the Lagos trade fair has been in existence for years of which we all know can accommodate these bogus Oshodi traders but to generate 100% profit they decided to establish themselves on public roads and walkways.

See how long they been asking car sellers at Berger along Tin can to move to the trade air (approx 7 years ago) and they've persisted despite parking on the expressway and overhead bridge which is already causing structural damage.

As for the idiots gearing towards tribalism ----- Haba na today!!! They see red and call it blue to justify their lawless nature ---- Pls look for another excuse as Lagos indigenes were amongst the worst hit.

Someone mentioned Lagos Island Markets as well earlier in the forum!! Again na today!! Wasn't Balogun Market cleared------abi Balogun dey Badagry for your eye!!  Angry

Finally someone is doing something after years of mismanagement and lack of planning yet people complain.

As for those asking the government to make alternatives before clearing these so called illegal traders I ask you

1. Were these so called Oshodi traders born by the Market in the first place or didn’t they relocated there for illegal trading purposes ?

2. Are Lagos illegal markets the only place in Nigeria where people can trade successful and yield good profits. Abi other metropolitans or states no dey naija again?

Despite the large populace living in cities like New York, London, Barcelonia, Johannesburg & even Accra you still don't find market-places as lawless or unplanned as Oshodi; If the available legal Oshodi shops cannot accomodate all traders then it's for the traders to find other legal suitable locations for trade not establish themselves on the road. 

Faithful Govenor abeg carry go !!, I'm based in England but will endeavor to come home and vote for you during the next elections. Finally a bit of sanity in dear Lasgidis. smiley

@c0274309
Thanks jare.
I'm with Fashola 24/7 anyday, anytime. "The best governor of the decade.
Eko o ni baje oo, O baje ti
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 11:17am On Jan 26, 2009
(sings) oun e ri e wi. oun e ri ero Fashola se, e pe kose

, Babatunde, mi o mo tan pe o se, Raji mi, mi o mo ti won pe o se, ogun yan lebe, o gbe forere,

Fashola, carry go jare, EKO oni baje lori e.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 11:44am On Jan 26, 2009
fyneguy:

(sings) oun e ri e wi. oun e ri ero Fashola se, e pe kose

, Babatunde, mi o mo tan pe o se, Raji mi, mi o mo ti won pe o se, ogun yan lebe, o gbe forere,

Fashola, carry go jare, EKO oni baje lori e.

O BAJE TI grin cheesy
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by sperrysun(m): 11:48am On Jan 26, 2009
Its important for people especially those on NL to research their posts and to also ensure their veracity before they post them on the forum.

First of all, Fashola did not close down Oshodi market,what he did was to get rid of tyhe street traders who have converted the long stretch of Agege Motor road to one big,uncoordinated market with its attendant twin evils of traffic jam and menace of 'agberos'  If you compare the stretch of Agege motor road before to what is now,then u will understand that the Gov of Lagos state is doing a great job!!

Second of all, he did not shut down Aswani market,but stopped the traders from trading along the road.There is a market built for them called ASWANI before they converted the whole of Apapa-Oshodi expressway to one big market too. Its only in Nigeria that we allow all forms of illegalities to exist in the name of 'survival'

Give the Gov a break, he is doing a good job!! Those of u compalining now are the same ones that would hail him when the transformation is complete.Ask those who wanted to villify El-Rufai when he was sanitizing Wuse II market!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by oluwdashmi(f): 1:11pm On Jan 26, 2009
No sir, we support him cos we want Lagos to progress from dirty, unorganized city to a clean and well-organized one.

Which trades and jobs  Stalls mounted on the highway  How unreasonable can u possibly be  tongue

Lets have ur better plan for Lagos, who knows, Fashola may go for itundecided

Oga rancetech, answer farotika's question now.

@rancetech
I can see how you feel 4 pple who left the market empty only to trade on the highway and the same pple like you will say Lagos is dirty and full of traffic Fashola may welcome your opinion. Let me give you a clue, every 100 days, he holds meeting with pple who have been assigned to look at the probs of the grassroot, Look out for the next 100 days and join them at the meeting to give your suggestions cos your idea is a waste on NL.

If every competitive product/services have to struggle for customers in the same manner, then, I think banks and other production companies should by now leave their offices for the road sides to trade their services against their competitors.

I can remember when the oshodi traders were still there, when drivers will load passengers, collect fares at the same point, stand still for 30mins begging traders to move their goods, which they will refuse to do or do after they have attended to their customers with a condition that their goods must not be touched by the bus and the driver leaves the point only to go and join the traffic ahead. Aba angry you guys are ungrateful
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by richyreach(m): 1:45pm On Jan 26, 2009
If we continue as a country to run away from change, we would never have change anyway. Fashola is one leader that is telling Lagosian let us make a better Lagos out of this rubbled one. Our national live is not spared from this backward thought of putting sentiments into all we do. We need to tell ourselves the truth all the time and embrace change when it comes. As much as I think people would suffer, the policy is not anti people. Liverpool was ranked one of the dirtiest cities in the world in the 80's but today its a different story. We go to other places and we say they are great places, but we forget that those places did not start that way, people had to make sacrifices for things to change we see them in Movies. In the 60's and 70's New york went through the same pulling down of structures to creat a better New york, same is Paris.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2009
sperrysun:

Its important for people especially those on NL to research their posts and to also ensure their veracity before they post them on the forum.

First of all, Fashola did not close down Oshodi market,what he did was to get rid of tyhe street traders who have converted the long stretch of Agege Motor road to one big,uncoordinated market with its attendant twin evils of traffic jam and menace of 'agberos' If you compare the stretch of Agege motor road before to what is now,then u will understand that the Gov of Lagos state is doing a great job!!

Second of all, he did not shut down Aswani market,but stopped the traders from trading along the road.There is a market built for them called ASWANI before they converted the whole of Apapa-Oshodi expressway to one big market too. Its only in Nigeria that we allow all forms of illegalities to exist in the name of 'survival'

Give the Gov a break, he is doing a good job!! Those of u compalining now are the same ones that would hail him when the transformation is complete.Ask those who wanted to villify El-Rufai when he was sanitizing Wuse II market!!

I beg tell them make dem hear tongue
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by sartorius(m): 2:52pm On Jan 26, 2009
commonsense tells us that we are probably going to face tougher times these years, people are suffering in these lagos, so i dont support these latest move considering traders and buyers in aswani are trying to make ends meet
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2009
@Sartorius

The same commonsense did not tell you it's wrong to trade on the streets?

Oga, you are a proof that commonsense is no more common.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 5:02pm On Jan 26, 2009
sartorius:

commonsense tells us that we are probably going to face tougher times these years, people are suffering in these lagos, so i dont support these latest move considering traders and buyers in aswani are trying to make ends meet

Oh, what a wonderful line of thought!!!! Did your commonsense not tell you that you should take ur office to the express way so u could make ends meet
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by gospelman(m): 5:11pm On Jan 26, 2009
In a society there are those who build and there are those who destroy. The fact is you are either a builder or you are a destroyer, there is no middle ground.

Now, I was do glad when I saw what Fashola did in Oshodi. I mean, you cannot make a good judgement unless you have ever plied that route. How on earth can human beings turn a major road into a market place, this is not good. I would have been on the side of the people if they were not forwarned and if what they were doing was right.

@ all posters againt Fashola: Maybe when we turn your own street road or the major route you ply into a market, you will understand what we are talking about.

People do not have to break the law to make a living.
Now if the government is not performing, people will get on their case.When the people are not performing we use sentiments to justify lawlessness.

In the meantime, I think Fashola have a very good vision and should be supported.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 5:16pm On Jan 26, 2009
@ Farotike

Rflmaoooooooooo! The commonsense ought to tell him to relocate his office to the 3rd mainland bridge, since he has a good excuse in ''we are probably going to face tougher times these years, people are suffering in these lagos''

yeye people.
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by gidig(m): 6:16pm On Jan 26, 2009
Just thot to reiterate what someone wrote that a few of you ignored. The Aswani Market has not been demolished. What was stopped was the many traders who have converted the road into markets twice every week. The market is inside ny Osolo way, with many shops./It is obvious that so many posters here dont even klnow where Aswani is and they have an image of bulldozers pulling down concrete shops.The so called 'Market' is just many traders closing down a long stretch of road by trading on the service lane and attracting buyers to the place. I support the Government's decision. The people who paid for shops are not selling anything because those who created shops by bus stops 'get' to the customers before them.

The same is true of all other markets in Mushin and Oshodi. The people who won legal shops in Mushin are very happy about the development. In oshodi for instance,,before the evacuation of the street traders, a journey from the Airport to Surulere that should not be more than 25minutes may last 3hours if you decide to pass through Oshodi!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by fyneguy: 6:39pm On Jan 26, 2009
@gidig

These people are impervious to your explanations. All they want is "even if people were trading on the 3rd mainland bridge, Fashola should spare them since that's the only means of livelihood and things are really difficult these days''.

The best answer is just to ignore these unreasonable people!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by 2sleek2NV(m): 7:44pm On Jan 26, 2009
i just taya for those wey dey complain o. we all complain that lagos is dirty,d hold up is too much. now som1 is doin somtin to correct dat and we are all shouting.
for those that knw aswani very well,if u hapen to drive down dat road on a market day den u are OYO. cos those pple put their wares in d middle of d road causin trafic meanwhile we have stalls and a big land space inside d market which they refuse to use. fashola only cleared dem off d road not those in d shops. if na oshodi,i too glad 4 d change there. even if na my mama dey sell 4 road,make dem carry her. we are so HARD HEARTED in lagos, na person wey no go look our face rule us we need.

we are hopin to host d world in oct in d youth world cup.if those pple come to see a dirty lagos,na we go 1st say d govt isnt doin anytin.

abeg carry go FASHOLA
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by tonyissey1(m): 9:43pm On Jan 26, 2009
at times i wonder what goes through the minds of this so called fashola's critics i passed through oshodi a few days ago and i was happy that Fashola did what he did the number of man hours wasted on this same route just because some choose to sell on the road or one so called molue driver wants to prove he is faster than his coleauges by loading sango ota on the road is insane the fact remains that while some people pay rent for their shops some feel wiser by staying on the streets and selling the same wares and getting the same profit it not right so all this critics of the mega city should find somewhere else or something else to condem other than our hardworking Governor we want Lagos to be better and we cant sacrifice i think its high time we think positive other than just say whateva comes to the mind
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by ikeyman00(m): 9:47pm On Jan 26, 2009
second that!

me not a lagosian but was there this december,like my fellow said there used to be heavy and useless traffic right there, but things are now moving as it should be
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by jalaw4real(f): 11:58pm On Jan 26, 2009
Fashola carry go God is with you, what you are doing is the best , keep it up
But, remember those that are selling some goods there and help them tongue cry shocked shocked
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by nongy011: 1:10am On Jan 27, 2009
shuooo, Nigeria has always been like that , jaga jaga , the government doesn't respect its citizens , and the people themselves don't respect the law !!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by nongy011: 1:13am On Jan 27, 2009
shuooo, Nigeria has always been like that , jaga jaga , the government doesn't respect its citizens , and the people themselves don't respect the law !!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by farotika(m): 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2009
tony_issey:

at times i wonder what goes through the minds of this so called fashola's critics i passed through oshodi a few days ago and i was happy that Fashola did what he did the number of man hours wasted on this same route just because some choose to sell on the road or one so called molue driver wants to prove he is faster than his coleauges by loading sango ota on the road is insane the fact remains that while some people pay rent for their shops some feel wiser by staying on the streets and selling the same wares and getting the same profit it not right so all this critics of the mega city should find somewhere else or something else to condem other than our hardworking Governor we want Lagos to be better and we cant sacrifice i think its high time we think positive other than just say whateva comes to the mind

GBAM!!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by kayplus24(m): 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2009
I have only being back a couple of weeks and i like what Fashola is doing, provided he's got alternative options to the displaced, bear in mind this are people trying to make ends meet without resorting to crime.
In the long run i think his efforts will go a long way in improving Lagos by not only providing a clean and safer environment but better living for everyone.

I for one am glad that sordid and disgusting Oshodi area is gone, i have been robbed twice driving through there. It is an unhealthy eye-sore that tarnishes the states image http://travel.msn.com/Guides/MSNTravelSlideShow.aspx?cp-documentid=851621&GT1=41000 . GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by ekwurod: 5:35pm On Jan 27, 2009
i think fashola is doing the best to make 'lagos' the best city in west africa not just city but megal city,
devil rope ones, why don't u wike souls live him alone to do the which he was elected for.
lagosian u should be thankful that u have someone that is changeing your way leaving, embarassed
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by dlox01(m): 6:22pm On Jan 27, 2009
i don tire 4 some people, !!!!!when has it been 'compensate for illegality'??when they catch u 4 yankee dey move drugs, they should compensate u naw!!!i dont get this compensation y'all clamoring about.its illegal,even selling on the streets are illegal,its a crime sef in short.if i was to drive down oshodi and hit a market woman's pan of rice down, would it be my fault(i know some would say yes),but this mad person is on the street for crying out loud.lets look at it this way,he is just saving lives of the people dat dont want to be saved, na untill i use motor jam some people then the'll no they aint meant to be there abi?(jus kiddin).but really, Lag aint for every1,aint a lagosian but abeg if u are standin in da heat, you know what u should hav done, u should have read ur bible n stayed outta HELL!!!!pls go to ur villages and cry on the laps of ur failed governors instead of filling our treads o!!! grin
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Gettolove(m): 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2009
I just wish those blaming the governor could have the opportunity of leading a state like lagos. I dont know how to plan for such.

The government cannot be responsible for all our mistakes and illegal acts. These people knew they were doing business at wrong venues, so why should government relocate an illegal market.

My relative was affected too, so this is the sacrifice we must all pay.

Have you seen people selling markets on pedestrian bridges, should they be relocated too ?
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Busybody2(f): 9:09pm On Jan 27, 2009
fyneguy:

@gidig

These people are impervious to your explanations. All they want is "even if people were trading on the 3rd mainland bridge, Fashola should spare them since that's the only means of livelihood and things are really difficult these days''.

The best answer is just to ignore these unreasonable people!

Pls please shut your piehole and get your head outta your arse angry What is unreasonable about having an ounce of compassion for people trying to make ends meet undecided

Do you think people that trade on the street in the burning sun wish to do so?

Do you think they would not like to trade in the comfort of their own shops, secure in the knowledge that their wares are safe?

Do you think those that send children as young as 5 to hawk oranges, not worth more than N100, are happy their children are subject to the danger that comes with weaving in and out of traffic? undecided

Do you even realise that some of this traders do not even a month's rent to provide, talkless of the two/three years they usually have to pay upfront?

Has it occured to you that a month's rent might even be more than what some people have to sell?

There are street market all over Europe and US for traders who cannot afford to rent shops, so why the noise?  undecided

What is wrong if he subsidises the shops to them at an affordable rate?

What is wrong with providing soft loans and grants help people who wanna start up their businesses, instead of everyone hankering to work in banks and oil companies undecided

Small time now they would be the same ones complaining that girls are doing Ashewo, whilst the guys are doing yahoo yahoo and committing armed-robberies, yet are ready to condemn those who are only trying to make a decent living with the little they have sad 

Kudos to Fasola if he is serious about finishing what he started, but that does not excuse the fact that he is immoral and wicked and heartless. How does he sleep at night angry
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Busybody2(f): 9:20pm On Jan 27, 2009
OMO IBO:

. . . secondly, i have a mum whom i respect so much. i will not knowingly disrectpect your  mum or anyone's parent. i have gone though my post several times, and i still cant see where i cursed your mum. but guess what, you've gone ahead and said something disrespectful about mine. ko si wahala. mi o binu.
dude, at the age of 31,  you should be able to conduct your self in a manner that'd make you look like a mature dude.  in this area you have failed woefully.
for future reference son, please read and understand before you spew garbage. if you are not sure, dont be shy to ask for clarification.
se o ti gbo. oloriburuku!

I have gone through your post too and you are right, you never cursed his mum. All you said in its simplicity was "UNLESS YOUR MUM IS SLEEPING WITH HIM OR IS SECRETLY RECORDING HIS EVERY CONVERSATION . . . OF WHAT RELEVANCE IS THE PRICE OF A BOTTLE TO A PURE WATER SELLER" smiley

Dappssee, he never cursed your mum, the fault lies in the way you deduced his statement and jumped into conclusion tongue
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by tonyissey1(m): 9:49pm On Jan 27, 2009
busy body or whatever u call yourself if u are not enlightened about the various programmes of Governor Fashola please shut up we have a lot of soft loans given to this traders through the ministry of woman affairs and poverty alleviation that i know fully well is accessible to all and sundry you say fashola is heartless what manner of concession should be given to someone who sells on a PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE u dont think of the harm to other users that dont share in the profit, and those who sell on the side walks, forcing we pedestrians to the street at the mercy of the reckless drivers because someone has to make a living have u thot about this rather than just say rubbish with people like you we would be regressing but am happy that people like you are in the minority please be more vast in your thots because we have younger ones reading this we are gunning for a bright rewarding future with BARRISTER BABATUNDE FASHOLA SAN
Re: Fashola Shuts Aswani Market by Busybody2(f): 9:57pm On Jan 27, 2009
Can you please enlighten me then undecided Isn't it like one of those programmes obasanjo's late wife implemented, which enabled every child in Nigeria to have three square meals in Nigeria, or the one where only their immediate family are the recipient of the benefits, shior cool

If you cannot see any concession worth implementing in those I listed above, then kindly move on wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Says Mend Is Not Responsible For Abuja Attacks. / Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland / Poor Economy Will Destroy Buhari’s Reign – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.