Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! (970 Views)

Retired Army Officers: We Served In States Where APC Lost To PDP, Vow To Fight S / Why APC Lost In Rivers / Apc Lost In Ambode Home Town(epe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by christopher123(m): 6:04pm On Mar 31, 2015
Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast; and has received at least a quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the requirement, a second election will be held between the two leading candidates within seven days from the pronouncement of the result.

Its self explanatory, apart from having the highest number of votes, d winner must garner at least 25% in at least 24 states even if he loses in some of d states.

FOR THE ILLITERATES AMONGST US HERE, LET ME BREAK IT DOWN THE WAY I WILL BREAK IT DOWN FOR A 6 YEAR OLD SWEET GIRL

It will perhaps help you understand the spirit and principle of the rule first.

WHY HAVE THE 25% PROVISION?
In a country as diverse as Nigeria, this policy was put in place to ensure that any leader that is elected enjoys the mandate and support of a large part of Nigeria.

Basically, it is insufficient to have a large number of votes from one part of the country. For example, even if I won 100 million votes from Kano state alone, I would still need to demonstrate that I have support from the rest of Nigeria in addition to the large votes I got from Kano.

I would need to get at least 25% of the vote in 2/3rd of the states in Nigeria.

Nigeria has 36 states today, so I would have to get 25% of the votes in 24 states.

NOTE that I don't need to win the 24 states. I just need to get 25%.

So, to recap, to win the presidency in Nigeria, I need

1. A simple majority of the vote which I could get from a small section of the country (or even one state)

ALSO

2. Demonstrate I have support in a large part of the country by showing that at least 25% of voters in at least each of 24 states supports my candidacy.

1 Like

Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by Jelo4kul(m): 6:05pm On Mar 31, 2015
K
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by nellykidies(f): 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2015
this is where d problem is cos most people do not understand this part & this could lead to big choas.#peaceNija.
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by SELENAqueensy(f): 6:24pm On Mar 31, 2015
God bless Buhari

God bless Nigeria

God bless the APCs

God bless me

For the PDPs, God bless you too, it wouldn't have been fun without u guys

#BabaNowThatYouAreThere, we celebrate your victory kiss
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by Doncolio(m): 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2015
We know this but thanks for sharing.

Congrats in advance to you GMB.

#GodBlessNigeria
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by CharlesPhc: 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2015
But GMB got 25% from 26 states and GEJ also got 25% from 26 states excluding Borno. What will determine now is the simple majority...!!!
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by talktimi(m): 6:32pm On Mar 31, 2015
Buhari has won, lets move on with our lives

2 Likes

Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 31, 2015
Thank you Jonathan for conceding defeat. You are an African hero who has proudly put Nigeria on the road to credible elections. Goodbye to Ogboni-run federal government.

1 Like

Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by ozo13(m): 6:37pm On Mar 31, 2015
Re: How APC Lost The Election Based On Technicalities!!! by ozo13(m): 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
Grandeur delusion in ffk voice
christopher123:
Article 134 (2) of the Nigerian Constitution stipulates that a presidential candidate will be duly elected after attaining both the highest number of votes cast; and has received at least a quarter of the votes at each of at least two-thirds of all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) of Abuja. If no candidate satisfies the requirement, a second election will be held between the two leading candidates within seven days from the pronouncement of the result.

Its self explanatory, apart from having the highest number of votes, d winner must garner at least 25% in at least 24 states even if he loses in some of d states.

FOR THE ILLITERATES AMONGST US HERE, LET ME BREAK IT DOWN THE WAY I WILL BREAK IT DOWN FOR A 6 YEAR OLD SWEET GIRL

It will perhaps help you understand the spirit and principle of the rule first.

WHY HAVE THE 25% PROVISION?
In a country as diverse as Nigeria, this policy was put in place to ensure that any leader that is elected enjoys the mandate and support of a large part of Nigeria.

Basically, it is insufficient to have a large number of votes from one part of the country. For example, even if I won 100 million votes from Kano state alone, I would still need to demonstrate that I have support from the rest of Nigeria in addition to the large votes I got from Kano.

I would need to get at least 25% of the vote in 2/3rd of the states in Nigeria.

Nigeria has 36 states today, so I would have to get 25% of the votes in 24 states.

NOTE that I don't need to win the 24 states. I just need to get 25%.

So, to recap, to win the presidency in Nigeria, I need

1. A simple majority of the vote which I could get from a small section of the country (or even one state)

ALSO

2. Demonstrate I have support in a large part of the country by showing that at least 25% of voters in at least each of 24 states supports my candidacy.

(1) (Reply)

Mr Francis Alimikhena Of Edo State For SENATE President / How True Is This?. (photo). / Malawi To Evacuate Citizens From South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.